delete

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HockeyDad41

delete

Post by HockeyDad41 »

delete
Last edited by HockeyDad41 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluemind

Say it ain't so!

Post by bluemind »

Did I mention little Johnny broke his arm last season and did not play association hockey :) but was still unbelievably enrolled in his private (Cake Eater) school. Where does he play this year? I know this is ridiculous but it just goes to the point that choice should be choice period. Did I mention little Johnny (has mastered the backward cross-over) wants to play for his association but in this case little Johnny (God bless his snap shot) has no previous association because he took a year off.

This rule is too limiting.. so silly and not worth discussing anymore.. With the changes in districting the movement of people and the desire to choose different educational paths you just can't write rules like this.

Did I mention that little Johnny's sister Sally wants to play this year but would start as a squirt.. :) She still goes to the private (Cake Eater) school but thinks she wants to play in her local association. But alas she is fickle and might want to play with her school friends next year. Wait a minute Ms. little Olvechkin can't do that she is trying to move to a better association.. STOP THE WORLD OF MN HOCKEY!!!! YOU CAN"T DO THAT!! Send her to public school and take what you get locally cause we are the best, lowest cost and gosh darn it... WE ARE RIGHT!!
bluemind

There's more

Post by bluemind »

I don't even want to bring up Johnny's little brother Timmy... The one who had the sex change the summer before he started Squirts but played Mites as a boy.. He (now She) decided (god bless his now (her) change up) that he would play baseball last summer. After a two year break from MN Hockey She (formerly he) wants to play Hockey in the local association but last spring She (formerly he) (god bless her power turns) changed campuses at the private (Cake Eater) School and now ended up in a campus in Richfield (dying association) but was enrolled last year in Eagan. Isn't Catholic School tough enough???

Give me a ruling... Bye the way no winter rules cause that is cheating!
HockeyDad41

delete

Post by HockeyDad41 »

delete
Last edited by HockeyDad41 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluemind

Too Much Fun!

Post by bluemind »

Ahhh..

Isn't everything supposed to be about hard work, a little fun and a feeling of accomplishment.

HockeyDad41, your a good sport..

I am not saying I made a point but I sure like to test the reason and the logic.

Bye the way this just in... MN Hockey determined that Timmy (She formerly He) is banned for life due to the many complications driven by changes in age, sex, school and mostly because they "Don't agree with that kind of thing..."
muckandgrind

Re: muckandgrind what if?

Post by muckandgrind »

bluemind wrote:What if your kid went to a private school from k- today and you were playing in your local association. You spent the last 4 years of mites and squirts building friendships and having a good time. Little Johnny is now ready to start Pee Wees and is looking forward to tryouts.... Whoops, the new rule says that little Johnny needs to play for the association where he was enrolled last year. Oh that's right he is too old at 11 years of age to make the one time choice to stay local cause he is no longer a squirt. You need to go to the new association and tryout because MN hockey says these are the rules.. The opportunity to make new friends... The pleasure of being looked at as a over zealous parent with aspirations for the NHL.. The chance to be tossed on to the C/B team cause they protect their own... The opportunity to pay more based on MN State laws surrounding charitable fund raising. The fun, the joy and the pleasure of being told what to do...

Whoops.. I guess you should just yank him outta school away from friends and bring him to the local public school. He can sit in a class of 35 kids who warmly accept him and are a year behind him in test scores/studies. Good choice for Johnny as you enroll in school where you live.

Not the best choice, limited options most of which stink.. Whether you choose to play by the rules or disrupt your family.. Oh! I forgot to mention your daughter who also goes to that same private school. Aww heck she should switch too and share in the fun, she doesn't even play hockey. Nice choice???
Yet another example of someone who hasn't actually read the new rule....

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!! :roll:
sorno82

Post by sorno82 »

This rule just irritates me because of the open enrollment issue. We made a decision as a family to move to a top flight public school district. We pay more for our house and have higher property taxes. That is what we chose to do. Several surrounding districts are declining, and are open enrolling their kids which is fine as long as the schools have room and they are not doing it for athletic reasons. Several of our schools are closer to the homes of kids in the surrounding districts than their own, so open enrolling is not tough.

Our association insists on one "A" team, even though you have 150 kids trying out. The "B" Teams dominate since they have many "A" level kids on them. I know of multiple "A/Top B" level kids that are already open enrolling, but have not been waived out of their association in the past. We will now have more "A" level players on "B" teams with a much bigger bubble.

The private school kids will not move out. This rule is going to be a classic rich get richer and poor get poorer. Even if it is 4-5 kids at every level, it will be a major pain in the rear.

No-the sky is not falling, but MinnHock should have focussed more on restoring competitive balance than passing this crap.

My solution-if a private school wants to create an association-let them. The only caveat is the kid actually has to go to the school. Blake, providence and Breck, can have squirt teams, Benilde can have PeeWee and Bantam, etc.
Last edited by sorno82 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Doglover

Post by Doglover »

Maybe "bluemind" should change his name to "nomind".
bluemind

I don't mind

Post by bluemind »

Doglover,

Just trying to keep it real my brother.. The ridiculous postings and situations are not far from the complex reality faced by a lot of families. A little fun with some crazy examples to point out that no matter what the circumstance or the good/bad intentions there will be too many exceptions created by the rule.

Show a little compassion versus throwing your strong opinion on one side of the issue.
Shoot Higher

Post by Shoot Higher »

Doglover wrote:Maybe "bluemind" should change his name to "nomind".
Doglover: you have good insight in the other topics you have posted ; what is your opinion on the new rule and do you see it negatively affecting the players/environment in your community?
Doglover

Post by Doglover »

Thanks Shoot Higher. I've deliberately stayed a bit away from this discussion but have followed the posts. I admire SW Prez and his active involvement in the topic and willingness to attend the meetings to fully understand the issue. I also understand and appreciate his use of the MA model in the discussion and think it's ignorant to ignore other states' models and how they've arrived at the point they are at today. I think the participation issue is complicated and I feel for MN Hockey trying to navigate this issue (how's that for a politically correct statement?).

I believe kids should have the choice to play with their community team (I never agree with Communitybased hockey guy though just for the record), or their private school friends who are in reality "their community of friends". I think public school fanatics have trouble understanding the depth of community established at private schools but with all the attacks on them, it's not too tough to comprehend (for the record my kids are public school). Given this, making rules that don't allow kids to jump back and forth which would definitely be a mistake, are hard to legislate while trying to keep the kids' best interests at heart. Allowing individual associations to have different rules with waivers though is also a mistake. I know I'm waffling - therefore my reluctance to get into the discussion. I see both sides and am not sure the best way to "write the rule". I kind of like the old HS rule (before they enacted the stupid transfer rule) where you can make two changes - try your association or school team, if it doesn't work you can go back once. Two changes and then you stay were you are until you hit HS. Not sure what a mess it would make to police though for the poor overworked, volunteer associations.

Not sure there is a good answer for everyone. I think there are great points made on this thread but also many self-serving comments and some just plain ignorant comments based on lack of any substantial understanding of youth hockey associations and the trials they face with over the top parents always looking for the best team for Johnny.

Bottom line for me - Let them play with their friends - either private school friends or community friends - they should have the choice.