98 Machine vs 98 Blades

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hillbilly1

Post by hillbilly1 »

Dog- I'm not on the inside about these player fees, so I'll take your word on that, and don't worry I realize that this may not be in the best interest of "kids in MN playing summer hockey", although only time will tell. Then again, this is summer hockey, the bottom line is it is up the parent to make sure you choose a program that will be suitable for your kid.

About the 98's....I've only seen a little bit of one tournament it's too early in the season tell.
gdahl

98's

Post by gdahl »

I saw nearly every team at the 98 level play at the meltdown. Most teams had a couple decent players and a few had good goalies. The only team worthy of AAA status was the Northern Wings. They were the only team that I saw that played as a team...that is they passed and passed and passed and scored. O h and they also won every game in running time including the championship. And no my kid does not play on the wings...he played on one of the other teams. In my opinion the wings at the 98 were the only true AAA team...all the others were playing summer Hockey.
thunderwolf

Re: 98's

Post by thunderwolf »

gdahl wrote:I saw nearly every team at the 98 level play at the meltdown. Most teams had a couple decent players and a few had good goalies. The only team worthy of AAA status was the Northern Wings. They were the only team that I saw that played as a team...that is they passed and passed and passed and scored. O h and they also won every game in running time including the championship. And no my kid does not play on the wings...he played on one of the other teams. In my opinion the wings at the 98 were the only true AAA team...all the others were playing summer Hockey.
Thunder Bay beat them last year with a weaker team. So I guess that is just a matter of opinion
Doglover

Post by Doglover »

At this age level, past year comparisons don't mean anything. Kids develop and change rapidly as do teams. gDahl is right and there is a difference between true AAA teams and summer hockey but both are fun! Also some of the other teams may not have been together very long and the Meltdown is early. Teams need time to gel. Fun to watch the advances teams can make over the summer season. Congrats to the Northern Wings.
thunderwolf

Post by thunderwolf »

Doglover wrote:At this age level, past year comparisons don't mean anything. Kids develop and change rapidly as do teams. gDahl is right and there is a difference between true AAA teams and summer hockey but both are fun! Also some of the other teams may not have been together very long and the Meltdown is early. Teams need time to gel. Fun to watch the advances teams can make over the summer season. Congrats to the Northern Wings.
I"m just curious how Northern Wings would have made out in the other group(Wales). I would have loved to have seen them play Jr Badgers or Thunder Bay.
Doglover

Post by Doglover »

Agree - those would've been great games!
HITUHARD

Post by HITUHARD »

I hear the 98 Blades play the Icemen again on Sat. My guess is the Blades will show they are team to beat in MINNESOTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Road Rage

Post by Road Rage »

HITUHARD wrote:I hear the 98 Blades play the Icemen again on Sat. My guess is the Blades will show they are team to beat in MINNESOTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting. Blades lost twice to the Machine and once to the Icemen so far. If these teams play on Sat. and the Blades win, how would that then make them the team to beat in Minnesota?
crossunder

Post by crossunder »

Don't confuse the Magicans tournament with a AAA tournament.
Look at the talent level this is b1 asscotation hockey at best
HITUHARD

Post by HITUHARD »

[quote="Road Rage"][quote="HITUHARD"]I hear the 98 Blades play the Icemen again on Sat. My guess is the Blades will show they are team to beat in MINNESOTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Interesting. Blades lost twice to the Machine and once to the Icemen so far. If these teams play on Sat. and the Blades win, how would that then make them the team to beat in Minnesota?[/quote]

Because they have the most depth of any 98 team. Problem for the Blades right now is they dont play as a team.
mnhkylvr

Post by mnhkylvr »

Are we seriously arguing the merits of a team based on the results of a MASH game? Get a clue!
westervillego19

Post by westervillego19 »

Two things to remember.

1. The measure of summer development is where you are in September, not in April.

2. The "team to beat in Minnesota" is the one you are playing right now.
Dave's a mess!

Post by Dave's a mess! »

mnhkylvr wrote:Are we seriously arguing the merits of a team based on the results of a MASH game? Get a clue!
So you are implying that MASH games don't mean much and that those teams playing in those game aren't trying to win? I got it - maybe we should play the games and not keep score?

Heck! Forget the games altogether! Let's judge who has the better team by who has the better players from now on! Tell you what, I'll call Gary Bettman and tell him that they should call off the rest of the Stanley Cup playoffs because all of us already know that the Red Wings have the best players so they must be the best team!

You're right mnhkylvr, the rest of us need to get a clue and use YOUR formula for determining who has the best team - forget those silly games.
mnhkylvr

Post by mnhkylvr »

Trying to argue with someone who believes a MASH game is equal to the Stanley Cup is an argument that cannot be won.

Best of luck to you.
Dave's a mess!

Post by Dave's a mess! »

mnhkylvr wrote:Trying to argue with someone who believes a MASH game is equal to the Stanley Cup is an argument that cannot be won.

Best of luck to you.
So this I what you get from going to a public school!

Who said I was arguing or much less the fact that I said MASH games are equal to the Stanley Cup? I was simply drawing a parallel (might have missed that literary device over at Mechanical Arts or wherever you went to school) - we play games to determine what . . . . ? The winner, right? Isn't that the point of the game? Maybe you want to enlighten us with your method for determining who has the best team. Heck, maybe you have some revolutionary idea - who knows - maybe you have something that could change the face of sport!?!?!?!??!

No, best of luck to you MNHKYLVR - you're an idiot - WAIT, THAT'S IT! We'll determine who has the best team by LUCK! You're a GENIUS! I'm going to CC Bettman!

(*DISCLAIMER* This message is not intended to rip on public school education in any way, shape or form - I was simply using a literary device called comedy)
mnhkylvr

Post by mnhkylvr »

:cry: Now why do you have to go and be so mean :cry:
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Now that's funny. Maybe the point is that for a Mash game 2-3 kids and the goalie may have a baseball practice they felt was more imporant so they didn't show up. Who cares what the outcome is for a mash game. It's pick up hockey. I coached mash teams that were 84-1 over three seasons a few years back. I didn't get the high school coaching job so I decided to pursue another coaching sport baseball. I think the icemen probably have a better team but I wouldn't discuss about beating someone in a mash game.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

I'm not sure I understand the reference to a Mash game. Is that just a general reference to a scrimmage type meeting, or are AAA teams picking up additional games by participating in the MASH league? Isn't MASH in direct competition with Showcase? Wouldn't that violate terms of an alliance?
Dave's a mess!

Post by Dave's a mess! »

GoldenBear wrote:Now that's funny. Maybe the point is that for a Mash game 2-3 kids and the goalie may have a baseball practice they felt was more imporant so they didn't show up. Who cares what the outcome is for a mash game. It's pick up hockey. I coached mash teams that were 84-1 over three seasons a few years back. I didn't get the high school coaching job so I decided to pursue another coaching sport baseball. I think the icemen probably have a better team but I wouldn't discuss about beating someone in a mash game.
TRUE - I would agree with that assesment! I have seen a lot at that at the MASH games I have been to. The game between the Icemen and Blades however, both teams had their full compliment of players.
buttend

Post by buttend »

Dave's a mess! wrote:
mnhkylvr wrote:Are we seriously arguing the merits of a team based on the results of a MASH game? Get a clue!
So you are implying that MASH games don't mean much and that those teams playing in those game aren't trying to win?
Metro Mosquitoes vs Mn Blades in a MASH League game does not count for the arguement.

Mn Icemen vs Mn Blades in a AAA Tournament counts

Looks like you will have to wait until June in Winnepeg to get your game. Even then you might not get to play them! It all depends on the schedules and brackets.
imaloserbaby

Post by imaloserbaby »

buttend wrote:
Dave's a mess! wrote:
So you are implying that MASH games don't mean much and that those teams playing in those game aren't trying to win?
Metro Mosquitoes vs Mn Blades in a MASH League game does not count for the arguement.

Looks like you will have to wait until June in Winnepeg to get your game. Even then you might not get to play them! It all depends on the schedules and brackets.
Who are the Metro Mosquitos?
Is the difference between a MASH game and a Tounament game that the Blades will bring in out-state players for the Tournament game? (just kidding - couldn't resist).
puckfan

Post by puckfan »

So what your saying is your squad is really 0-1 vs the 98 Machine since scrimmages really don't mean anything? Now it only counts if it's in a tournament?

Does MASH play by the same rules as MN hockey and Showcase or is there something that they do different that would make that "game" any different?
Sk8 Str8

Post by Sk8 Str8 »

Who are the Metro Mosquitos?

C'mon, surely you know about the Metro Mosquitos...they are in a class by themselves in Summer AAA Hockey, they may have to create a AAAA league for them, as the Machine, Blades and Icemen cannot compete at any level. The Mosquitos are debating whether to join the "Alliance" or whether to just play in the Saskatoon and Czechoslovakia Summer tournaments. Thier 2002 team is possibly the greatest assemblage of talent in North America. THEY ARE THE TEAM TO BEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
buttend

Post by buttend »

imaloserbaby wrote: Who are the Metro Mosquitoes?
Metro Mosquitoes is the name of the MASH team the 98 MN Blades are playing on 5/9. This team is made up of players from the 98 Icemen.
imaloserbaby

Post by imaloserbaby »

buttend wrote:
imaloserbaby wrote: Who are the Metro Mosquitoes?
Metro Mosquitoes is the name of the MASH team the 98 MN Blades are playing on 5/9. This team is made up of players from the 98 Icemen.
Sounds like a Blades vs Icemen game. The Icemen website shows they have two games back-to-back on 5/9???