Duluth Marshall vs Virginia

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Winner?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:06 pm

Marshall
42%
Virginia
58%

Total votes: 36

HockeyFan_11

Post by HockeyFan_11 »

Well it was a pretty good game up until about 6 minutes left in the 3rd. Dirty play started when Virginia had sent the puck down ice, Willie Paul came out to play it while a Virginia player and Marshall player were chasing the puck, well the Virginia player and Paul had collided, so they called a penalty on Virginia(bad call). After the whistle blew all hell broke loose. Kids were pushing each other and throwing punches(mostly from Marshall), when the refs had there backs turned I believe it was #27 from Marshall who butt ended Chris Westin in the throat. Now thats why I am glad that Marshall did not win. Congrats to Virginia on a hard fought win.
gophers101

Post by gophers101 »

This game was a great one. Both goalies made key saves. The game had a high intensity and it was fast paced for the most part. Marshall looked very fast and had a bunch of chances. Virginia buried on their key opportunities. Lustig stoned Mausolf on a chance right in front late in the game and that was the key save because Marshall would score a little later but still be down 4-3. Both teams played well and it was a great game to watch. Congrats Devils.
North9

Post by North9 »

HockeyFan_11 wrote:Well it was a pretty good game up until about 6 minutes left in the 3rd. Dirty play started when Virginia had sent the puck down ice, Willie Paul came out to play it while a Virginia player and Marshall player were chasing the puck, well the Virginia player and Paul had collided, so they called a penalty on Virginia(bad call). After the whistle blew all hell broke loose. Kids were pushing each other and throwing punches(mostly from Marshall), when the refs had there backs turned I believe it was #27 from Marshall who butt ended Chris Westin in the throat. Now thats why I am glad that Marshall did not win. Congrats to Virginia on a hard fought win.
After mausolf hit westin, judnick drilled mausolf then when westin was down a marshal player kicked him in the head. then after westin got up mark williams speared him in the neck
gophers101

Post by gophers101 »

That fight was quite exciting. I thought I was watching Ryan Flynn of the gophers beat up Sioux players.
7A22A

Post by 7A22A »

Your team is up and the other teams goalie gets hit. A penalty was called, so figure it out. 9 times out of 10 something is going to happen. Most of the time, not to these extremes, but tensions are high and its hockey.
HSH1212

Post by HSH1212 »

HockeyFan_11 wrote:Well it was a pretty good game up until about 6 minutes left in the 3rd. Dirty play started when Virginia had sent the puck down ice, Willie Paul came out to play it while a Virginia player and Marshall player were chasing the puck, well the Virginia player and Paul had collided, so they called a penalty on Virginia(bad call). After the whistle blew all hell broke loose. Kids were pushing each other and throwing punches(mostly from Marshall), when the refs had there backs turned I believe it was #27 from Marshall who butt ended Chris Westin in the throat. Now thats why I am glad that Marshall did not win. Congrats to Virginia on a hard fought win.
With all do respect, if a Marshall kid did that to Lustig, Virginia players would have been all over that player. Intentional or not, that is a penalty. Now I don't commend any Marshall player for defending their goalie except for 27, who went crazy. Also, I didn't see Westin cheapshoted rather I saw him diving, and faking his injury. You have to take those blue glasses off.

It's tough for Marshall, because through most of the game, they were the better team. But, they kind of let up in the third, and credit Virginia for their resiliency. Congrats to Virginia on a solid win.
dangleshesh

Post by dangleshesh »

Hockeyfan are you kidding me, i was at the game and the virginia player hit paul on purpose... he should have been ejected a long with williams. The virginia player could have avoided paul but they had to be cheap and start a fight. And the virginia fans show great sportsmanship chanting rehabe to mausolf while he was in the bench... thats the range for you. Great game though it went up and down, either team could have won the game. Stauber for marshall played very good, along with westin's line.
tjbabcock

Post by tjbabcock »

at the end mausolf skated up to westin, wesitn acted like he got hit by him falling down like usual. then mausolf gets hit from behind and all hell broke lose. could have gone either way
mainefan

Post by mainefan »

But it went to the better team. Another private bites the dust.
FRITZ

Credit to entire Blue Devil team and coaches

Post by FRITZ »

[quote="mainefan"]But it went to the better team. Another private bites the dust.[/quote]

The better team today was Virginia/MIB/Orr. It is time to congratulate the coaching staff and entire Blue Devil Squad. The 1st line and Lustig have been applauded throughout the year but without the tenacity and effort of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th line , penalty kill, and defense, VMIBO may not have made it to the Section final. It takes more than a few soldiers to win a battle. Good luck Blue at the DECC and once again my congratulations to the coaching staff and the entire 20 man Blue Devil Squad.
gophers101

Post by gophers101 »

dangleshesh wrote:Hockeyfan are you kidding me, i was at the game and the virginia player hit paul on purpose... he should have been ejected a long with williams. The virginia player could have avoided paul but they had to be cheap and start a fight. And the virginia fans show great sportsmanship chanting rehabe to mausolf while he was in the bench... thats the range for you. Great game though it went up and down, either team could have won the game. Stauber for marshall played very good, along with westin's line.
Don't bring the entire range into this conversation. Virginia's the arrogant team who always starts the brawls. And wow was virginia's student section on during this game, loud, and organized. Great job guys you were fantastic. I mean saying a chant once, great job! :roll:
North9

Post by North9 »

gophers101 wrote:
dangleshesh wrote:Hockeyfan are you kidding me, i was at the game and the virginia player hit paul on purpose... he should have been ejected a long with williams. The virginia player could have avoided paul but they had to be cheap and start a fight. And the virginia fans show great sportsmanship chanting rehabe to mausolf while he was in the bench... thats the range for you. Great game though it went up and down, either team could have won the game. Stauber for marshall played very good, along with westin's line.
Don't bring the entire range into this conversation. Virginia's the arrogant team who always starts the brawls. And wow was virginia's student section on during this game, loud, and organized. Great job guys you were fantastic. I mean saying a chant once, great job! :roll:
Ya sure don't give the devils any credit for a well earned win :roll:
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

North9 wrote:
gophers101 wrote:
Ya sure don't give the devils any credit for a well earned win :roll:
Blatant case of misread sarcasm... :D
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

All in all, this was a pretty even game. In the end, I think the depth of Virginia paid off. Goals from Virginia's 3rd (Trey Carlson) and 4th (Troy Nichols) line decided this one, while Marshall had Mausolf and company out there nearly every other shift.

I will not comment on the shananigans that took place late in the game. Anyone in the building who did not have blinders on saw what actually took place. If Marshall fans want to try to spin it, so be it... the entire malay is on tape.

And this should not go unsaid as it has no place in high school athletics... this is from the Mesabi Daily News:
...Westin soon found himself on the ice, too.

“(Marshall senior forward Zach) Mausolf’s knee hit me in the head, then as I was getting up and skating away, No. 27 (Hilltoppers junior defenseman Mark Williams) caught me in the throat,” said Westin.

The referees took several minutes to sort things out and sent Westin and Wes Judnick, who came to his teammate’s defense, to the penalty box along with Mausolf and Williams.

Williams attempted to confront Westin outside the locker room after the game.

“I saw him out there waiting for me, so I told my coaches and they went and dealt with it,” Westin said. “It took about 10 guys to hold him back and get him out of there so I could come out of the locker room.”
mainefan

Post by mainefan »

Wow, what are day learnin in dat der fanci skul?

An embarrassment.
Niski15 fan

Post by Niski15 fan »

Alrighty then....this happens the last two weeks of every season. We had the same reaction last year between the Hibbing/Marshall game.
I for one am proud of all these kids, boys and gals as we ALL know we go into the tourney's with less opportunities than the bigger city teams as far as ice time, money to travel to train and get any "extras" they may need. Even though the Range teams come on the ice with much less, they make us proud with their drive and fight!!
And as far as being arrogant...they deserve it! Let 'em be kings for a while they'll come back into the real world soon enough.
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

As unfortunate as it is that the East-Central-Denfeld-Mesabi East Co-Op (aka Marshall School of Duluth) won't have another chance to choke at state, an all range final will be exciting.

Oh and about the "let them be kings" comment, I fail to see what they have that would warrant that. If they win the section, THEN they can talk.
Go Hounds.
goldenbear85

Post by goldenbear85 »

HSH1212 wrote:
With all do respect, if a Marshall kid did that to Lustig, Virginia players would have been all over that player. Intentional or not, that is a penalty. Now I don't commend any Marshall player for defending their goalie except for 27, who went crazy. Also, I didn't see Westin cheapshoted rather I saw him diving, and faking his injury. You have to take those blue glasses off.

It's tough for Marshall, because through most of the game, they were the better team. But, they kind of let up in the third, and credit Virginia for their resiliency. Congrats to Virginia on a solid win.
You obviously didn't have the opportunity to examine Westin's neck after the attack. You can't "fake" a red swollen neck.

Watch the tape. Westin collides with the goalie (penalty). Play is done, both players are down on the the ice. Then as he's tring to get up, Mausolf skates in and knees him in the head (penalty - should have been ejected for intent to injure), then Wes Judnick steps in and checks Mausolf and the two throw punches (both got roughing penalties). As the refs had their backs turned and skating to the score table, #27 (Williams) butt-ended Westin in the neck (again, intent to injure - should have been ejected). As Westin is coming off the ice, several Hilltopper players on the bench are laughing and calling him a "faker".

During the "handshake" after the game, #27 Williams spits in the face of Virginia players.

20 minutes after the game, Williams (still in breezers) tries to prevent Virginia players from leaving the arena, blocking the locker room hallway, because he "wants to kill" Westin. Virginia assistant coach Cornell steps in and asks the player to calm down and let the players pass, and Williams tries going right over Cornell to get at Westin, requiring several other people to hold him back, in a incident not too far from a scene from All Star Wrestling. Unbelievable. I would not be surprised if the MN State HS League has a talk with #27.
mitchrapp

Post by mitchrapp »

Where was the Marshall coaching staff when this is all going on?
Nice program - they must be very proud - 27 should be suspended next year for a long while
hshckfan08

Post by hshckfan08 »

EHSHack wrote:As unfortunate as it is that the East-Central-Denfeld-Mesabi East Co-Op (aka Marshall School of Duluth) won't have another chance to choke at state, an all range final will be exciting.

Oh and about the "let them be kings" comment, I fail to see what they have that would warrant that. If they win the section, THEN they can talk.
Ha i love how east fans say marshall chokes at state when east has choked in sections the past 4 years...
hshckfan08

Post by hshckfan08 »

As far as the game, I wasnt there so i cant comment on the brawl or anything. But i will say after hearing who was involved, it doesnt surprise me...
Congrats to Virginia. They have a great team who will be at the X and could do a lot of damage.
pacman

Post by pacman »

hshckfan08 wrote:As far as the game, I wasnt there so i cant comment on the brawl or anything. But i will say after hearing who was involved, it doesnt surprise me...
Congrats to Virginia. They have a great team who will be at the X and could do a lot of damage.
Still Gotta Go through Hibbing Before you can guarentee they will be at the X.
hshckfan08

Post by hshckfan08 »

pacman wrote:
hshckfan08 wrote:As far as the game, I wasnt there so i cant comment on the brawl or anything. But i will say after hearing who was involved, it doesnt surprise me...
Still Gotta Go through Hibbing Before you can guarentee they will be at the X.
Just my prediction
tjbabcock

Post by tjbabcock »

if this game is on tape i'd love to see westin's embolishment when mausolf skated up to him. he said that he never even touched westin, just got close enough to wear westin could fake something, like the usual, numerous dives, and falling in the corner to draw a checking from behind. people have to be blind not to notice this kind of garbage. yes virginia won, but they took it to far and won with no class.
and as far as the brawl in the locker rooms. yes number 27 im sure did something, but from an inside source the virginia kids were going by marshalls locker room egging them on, along with virginia's coaching staff. sounds like the news paper is pretty one sided for their blue devils. good luck.
HSH1212

Post by HSH1212 »

goldenbear85 wrote:
HSH1212 wrote:

You obviously didn't have the opportunity to examine Westin's neck after the attack. You can't "fake" a red swollen neck.

Watch the tape. Westin collides with the goalie (penalty). Play is done, both players are down on the the ice. Then as he's tring to get up, Mausolf skates in and knees him in the head (penalty - should have been ejected for intent to injure), then Wes Judnick steps in and checks Mausolf and the two throw punches (both got roughing penalties). As the refs had their backs turned and skating to the score table, #27 (Williams) butt-ended Westin in the neck (again, intent to injure - should have been ejected). As Westin is coming off the ice, several Hilltopper players on the bench are laughing and calling him a "faker".

During the "handshake" after the game, #27 Williams spits in the face of Virginia players.

20 minutes after the game, Williams (still in breezers) tries to prevent Virginia players from leaving the arena, blocking the locker room hallway, because he "wants to kill" Westin. Virginia assistant coach Cornell steps in and asks the player to calm down and let the players pass, and Williams tries going right over Cornell to get at Westin, requiring several other people to hold him back, in a incident not too far from a scene from All Star Wrestling. Unbelievable. I would not be surprised if the MN State HS League has a talk with #27.
I have to agree with everything you said except for the underlinded part. Mausolf didn't touch Westin. Westin was faking it. But yes, 27 did butt end Westin.