This years most talented defenseman?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hshockey17

Post by hshockey17 »

karl(east) wrote:
hockeyhair15 wrote:
puckman22 wrote:Derek Forbort. Duluth East.
one of the few times i'll agree with puckman. i'm assuming he's paired with Arbour? thats downright scary. something tells me he'll be gone next year so enjoy him while you can
On power plays, yes...and they sure are downright scary. Randolph prefers to spread them out at even strength; East has enough depth at D to do that excellently.
I agree that Forbort is one of the most talented defenseman in the state. And he's still only a junior. He's got good size and great hands. Will definitely be a top prospect in the future and it will be fun to watch him this season.
Indians forever

Post by Indians forever »

puckman22 wrote:Derek Forbort. Duluth East.
Very talented D-Man!!!
hockeyhair15

Re: This years most talented defenseman?

Post by hockeyhair15 »

breakout wrote:
hockeyhair15 wrote:
san yo assassin wrote: Schmidt is weak he peaked off already, his career is going nothing but downhill. Should of left and played for Blaze in fargo single A hockey is wrecking his future
yea he is deffinelty reaping the bennefits of being 6-3 200 in 8th grade, i think he would be wise to go to the USHL next year
Isn't he a multi sport athlete that decided to play more than one sport in high school? Should make him a better athlete, thus better hockey player as long as he continues to work on his game. He can play in the USHL after high school if that is what Lucia and company want.

By the way, I think you have added a couple of inches to his frame. I may be wrong, but I believe he is more like 6' 1".
yea i was just exagerating for effect, but he is a pretty big boy and has been since his freshman year. and although he can play a year or two in the ushl after highschool, if he were to go next year then he could get his one year in then go to the U. the only thing i would worry about is that if he plays his senior year he may not develop as much, but i do have allot of respect for the guys who stay and finish their careers with their buddies, i just think 50-some games against top end competition would be far more developmental than sticking around for another year of H.S.
enjoy this post while it lasts....
HSpuckguy

JGACoach

Post by HSpuckguy »

JGACoach...If you look at when I started this Most of these guys weren't playing yet. Obviously you're a buddy of Lee Smith…he is a great guy, which his downfall because he wants to make everyone happy…with that said, he’s severely lacking as a coach. I went to the Edina tourney last night, and he was playing three sets of D, when the fact is that they only have about 1 ½ to 2 D…obviously you need to give the good guy(s?) a break, but to play six is simply wrong. He should talk to Scott Oliver at Roseau as to how he used Ness…Oliver designed everything around Ness, and basically told him to stay on the ice as long as he can, and Oliver would rotate the other D men in. Leddy is paired w/Rau who probably should be playing JV…he can’t make a pass, and he never looks to give the puck to Leddy, which he should probably do every time. I feel sorry for Leddy, he’s definitely has to question whether he made the right decision to stay in high school…I’m glad he did, but until Smith uses the best player in the state the way he should be used, it will be a disappointing season for Leddy. Seeing that you’re such a good buddy of Lee Smith, maybe you should tell him to get his head out of his ass, he’s missing out on probably the best player he’s ever coached.

Here's the facts as of last week...a look at your big studs...Seriously, Thompson an "A" rated player...come on! He may have some potential, but at this time, he's a weenie hockey player in a big man's body…he’s only being looked at because of his size.

USHL Stats

Thompson - 19 games played...(0) Goals, (1) Assist, -3, and 20 PM's...very nice!

Rush - 22 games played...(1) Goal, (4) Assists, -4, and 28 PM's...very nice as well!! Oh, by the way, Rush was just released from Tri-City.

Rogge, is back at EP after being cut from Shattuck…he’s an average player at best.

Not sure how well Clark is doing...my guess is pretty well, he is a nice player.

Again, the good news for EP is that the cancer is gone!
Theclassicburbs

Post by Theclassicburbs »

Zach Palmquist of South St. Paul has smooth hands, moves the puck well, and can skate with the best of them.
oneIdmonsta

Post by oneIdmonsta »

cant argue with leddy as the best..and if they didnt play in the elite league then u shouldnt even put thheir name up here..forbert and faust are also damn good.
hockeyOAF

Post by hockeyOAF »

oneIdmonsta wrote:cant argue with leddy as the best..and if they didnt play in the elite league then u shouldnt even put thheir name up here..forbert and faust are also damn good.
Are you serious?
I know of kids who can stand up to most on these 'lists' and didn't play elite because of other sports interests or the fact that "elite" really means elitist sometimes. Not all the best kids make the teams, or even tryout.
And no, I won't reply to anyones rants about how my statements are untrue. :evil
Dazed&Confused

Post by Dazed&Confused »

Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:42 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oneIdmonsta wrote:
cant argue with leddy as the best..and if they didnt play in the elite league then u shouldnt even put thheir name up here..forbert and faust are also damn good.

Are you serious?
I know of kids who can stand up to most on these 'lists' and didn't play elite because of other sports interests or the fact that "elite" really means elitist sometimes. Not all the best kids make the teams, or even tryout.
And no, I won't reply to anyones rants about how my statements are untrue. :evil
You are dead on
hockeyboys

Post by hockeyboys »

I've seen a number just as good - if not better this year too. These are the big names with lots of press. There are others.
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

East's 4 main defensemen. 1st Line of Joe Arbour and Jake Williams, and 2nd Line of Derek Forbort and Al McLean.
Go Hounds.
matthebat

Post by matthebat »

Kevin Mcmorrow from Park Rapids is a very solid defensemen he has a nice shot and good size
breakout

Post by breakout »

hockeyboys wrote:I've seen a number just as good - if not better this year too. These are the big names with lots of press. There are others.

The reality is, there are very few that are just as good that did not play in the Elite League.

I challenge you to give me a name of a D that is better than Leddy, Baker, Forbert, Schmidtz, Schmidt, Alt, Arbour, Faust that did not play in the Elite League. The fact is, you can't.

By the way, Alt played another sport and participated in the Elite League. The Elite League was designed, in part to allow high end hockey players the opportunity to participate in multiple sports and play hockey with and against the area's top players.

As for press, you discount the hard work that these young players put into their game.
hockeyboys

Post by hockeyboys »

i did not discount their hard work - please go back and read my post. all i said was there was others. and there are.
scoreboard33

Post by scoreboard33 »

hockeyboys wrote:i did not discount their hard work - please go back and read my post. all i said was there was others. and there are.
This thread is the best defenseman. The best played in the elite league. Good defenseman may not play in the elite league and they are out there, but the canidates for the best all played in the elite league. Budish, Lee and Regan from Edina all played football and the elite league.

I'm not sure if Berglund played in the elite league, but he deserves mention in this thread as well, but he is probably not the top.
breakout

Post by breakout »

hockeyboys wrote:i did not discount their hard work - please go back and read my post. all i said was there was others. and there are.

re-read your post ............. name the better ones.
MedleyWR

Post by MedleyWR »

Mr.Penalty wrote:I know the worst defense and the least consistent in the state can go to White Bear.
White Bear's problems aren't due only to poor play by their defense. They have only lost two games by more than a goal (with the exception of two empty net goals by Moorhead). Those two games were against very strong teams from Hill Murray (5-2) and Minnetonka (7-2). Hill buried the Bears on two power play goals coming on a five minute major penalty. Minnetonka was up 4-2, then scored three unanswered goals in the third period, when they simply outplayed the Bears at every aspect of the game - offense, defense and goaltending.
The Bears are a good team among many good teams. They are capable of beating, or losing to other good teams (like Woodbury or Stillwater) on any given night. And while not an elite level team, they are capable (like other good teams) of beating elite teams (Centennial 6-5). The Bears are a young team, undergoing development and some growing pains. But to suggest that they have "the worst defense and the least consistent in the state" is far from accurate. Yes, there has been some defensive inconsistency, but there has also been inconsistent goal tending, fore checking, back checking and turnovers. It is a TEAM game, after all.
hockeyOAF

Post by hockeyOAF »

I am not going to name names, just will start an argument about if he is as good as so and so or not. Just wanted to see (and did) that others out there recognize that there are defenders who did not play elite (didn't even try out for elite or selects)_ and are as good, or should I say it...better than some on our Oh so holy list...
johnnyquest

Post by johnnyquest »

I think Rubbelke from North St. Paul would be a perfect example
hockeyfan77

Re: This years most talented defenseman?

Post by hockeyfan77 »

hockeyhair15 wrote:
san yo assassin wrote:Schmidt is weak he peaked off already, his career is going nothing but downhill. Should of left and played for Blaze in fargo single A hockey is wrecking his future
yea he is deffinelty reaping the bennefits of being 6-3 200 in 8th grade, i think he would be wise to go to the USHL next year
Yep, he should have moved on this year. I was shocked he is listed as a possible mid round pick on CSB NHL draft rankings.
Dazed&Confused

Post by Dazed&Confused »

I am not saying that there are players better. But quite a few kids did get overlooked and they may be better than players selected. Also alot of forwards that did not get a shot.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

I think Leddy wins this hands down, but if you want to throw out a few more names that haven't been mentioned in the thread yet...

Faust
Krebsbach
Marshall
Pauluk
Prochno
breakout

Post by breakout »

The Exiled One wrote:I think Leddy wins this hands down, but if you want to throw out a few more names that haven't been mentioned in the thread yet...

Faust
Krebsbach
Marshall
Pauluk
Prochno
Good names & players
breakout

Post by breakout »

Dazed&Confused wrote:I am not saying that there are players better. But quite a few kids did get overlooked and they may be better than players selected. Also alot of forwards that did not get a shot.

I am sure some players do get overlooked. Frankly, I am not a big fan of 10th graders playing in the Elite League. Give an upper class kid an opportunity to play. I think that was part of the leagues foundation when it started.
breakout

Post by breakout »

hockeyOAF wrote:I am not going to name names, just will start an argument about if he is as good as so and so or not. Just wanted to see (and did) that others out there recognize that there are defenders who did not play elite (didn't even try out for elite or selects)_ and are as good, or should I say it...better than some on our Oh so holy list...

I hear they are working on spinal implements down at the Mayo. Consider looking into it.
Dazed&Confused

Post by Dazed&Confused »

breakout is wavering. There may be players that got the shaft. Not so much better but there are a few that did not get the chance. admit it