Section 4AA 2008-09

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will win Section 4AA?

Cretin Derham Hall
2%
Hill Murray School
20%
Minneapolis Novas
No votes
North St. Paul
2%
Roseville
39%
Saint Paul Blades
No votes
Stillwater
28%
Tartan
2%
White Bear Lake
7%

Total votes: 46

joehockey

Section 4AA 2008-09

Post by joehockey »

So on July 1 what does next season look like for this section - who will emerge and go to State?

Update what is happening with your school and team - here is some rink chatter I hear about the teams in 4AA.

CDH - Lost lots of key players to graduation (4 to D1 & 2 to D3) - who is stepping up and coming in - sounds like a top freshman class? If Keyes doesn't return who steps in to help Coach Williams?

HM - Most of last years core scorers Harren, Stumpf, H Brandt, Doyle, M Brandt, McDowell, Saad and defense 5 good d return including Knadjek, Pendleton, Ley plus newcomer goalie Allie McKeever who was a Bantam A goalie in Woodbury joins Wenzell in goal. Lots of motivation after the HM boys won last year.

Novas - Some key loses and goals to replace.

NSP - Very deep, young talented team led by Anderson, O'Brien, Drude, Knudson, Stromm, Schendel (if they all come back - talk of key players going to Thoroughbreds?), new goalie. They are training very hard and you can't watch CODP, OS or TNFHL and not see Polar players - hats off to the community commitment and effort to improve.

Roseville - Lost some key players but have great depth and experience and two top snipers Brausen, Capistrant - team to beat?

Saint Paul Blades - Must replace a top goaltender.

Stillwater - Strength and experience all around probably the favorite with lots of dangerous scorers Dahl, Charpentier, King, Tuuri, Salomen and super goaltending if they reload D they get back to State.

Tartan - Maybe best goalie no one knows in Rolando - can she keep the door closed to pull off big upsets.

White Bear Lake - New parent coach who took much of this team to U12A and U14A Championships. Lots of talent at defense led by Marcotte and Hanson, upfront Brustle and Green can score. Must replace lost seniors and one of the top goalies in the state. Could be the dark horse winner.
hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 »

Just as last season I could see 4-5 teams with a chance to win the section but my top 3 would be Hill-Murray, Roseville and Stillwater. I think Roseville has the most depth on the blue line but Stillwater has alot of depth at forward and is extrememly solid in the net. Hill-Murray returns alot and if the goalies perform they will be tough to beat.
kalciumxx30

Post by kalciumxx30 »

Tartan has another goaltender along with Rolando. The team will have strong goal tending, that's for sure, but who knows if that will be enough. They're still going to be a young team with mostly all juniors.
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

kalciumxx30 wrote:Tartan has another goaltender along with Rolando. The team will have strong goal tending, that's for sure, but who knows if that will be enough. They're still going to be a young team with mostly all juniors.
Sorry no offense meant have not seen other goalie - I saw Rolando last year against Hill and she almost beat them. She has done great in the TNFHL. Tartan also had some good D and a couple of strong fowards but not sure of names depth appears to be the challenge.
kalciumxx30

Post by kalciumxx30 »

joehockey wrote:
kalciumxx30 wrote:Tartan has another goaltender along with Rolando. The team will have strong goal tending, that's for sure, but who knows if that will be enough. They're still going to be a young team with mostly all juniors.
Sorry no offense meant have not seen other goalie - I saw Rolando last year against Hill and she almost beat them. She has done great in the TNFHL. Tartan also had some good D and a couple of strong fowards but not sure of names depth appears to be the challenge.
it's alright. The other goaltender is me, Kelsey Mueller polar turned titan, played JV last season and was on varsity freshman year but didnt get much action. Yea Kaitlyn is pretty awesome when it comes to goal tending. Kaitlyn and I will more than likely be the only goal tenders this year. We have some good D and good Forwards it's just we're young and growing is all.
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

So anything new across the section?

Poll - Looks like lots of strength at Stillwater and Roseville.

WBL - Lots of energy and high outlook sounds like a great off season and training with the new coaches.

NSP - Sounds like N. St Paul lost a key player and leading scorer to the Thoroughbreds and has new assistant coaches.

Hill Murray - I hear nearly 50 kids are going out for the team and involved in captains practice. Sr. Casey Knajdek is making a fast recovery from an injury and should be back early season.

Should be interesting early insight WBL and HM meet in opener and then HM and Stillwater meet in same week.
hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 »

Any new thoughts on the section winner. Looks alot like last year with no real clear frontrunner.
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

I wouldn't think the gap is as big as the poll.....it may come down to depth and who can stay healthy.....

Stillwater may have some current questions marks on health but have great depth in the program.....Dahl is a score at will player.

Roseville may be very strong.....watching the fall Elite League Witwikie, Duelman are strong on D while Brausen and Capistrant are lighting up the goals.....all looking very strong. If Allen in goal stays healthy they will be strong.
Hansonbrother

Post by Hansonbrother »

joehockey wrote:I wouldn't think the gap is as big as the poll.....it may come down to depth and who can stay healthy.....

Stillwater may have some current questions marks on health but have great depth in the program.....Dahl is a score at will player.

Roseville may be very strong.....watching the fall Elite League Witwikie, Duelman are strong on D while Brausen and Capistrant are lighting up the goals.....all looking very strong. If Allen in goal stays healthy they will be strong.
I've been trying to tell people that all summer. Wait till you see the rest of Rosevilles defense this year...They may actually beat their last years GAA of 1.8 even with the schedule they had. (EP twice, Stillwater 3X, CDH 3X, Edina, GR, Wayzata, Eagan)
If Roseville finds scoring, look out!!
hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 »

Every team in the section and state for that matter has "what if's". Compared to most teams Roseville should have pretty strong forwards who can score. But I would agree that their defense has proven themselves to be pretty talented. I would say Stillwater has pretty strong scoring and goaltending with the "what if" being their defensemans play. Some might say Hill-Murray has more balance than either of them. I think this section will be another dogfight.
hockeyheaven

Post by hockeyheaven »

IMO it’s a four team race. Stillwater has a slight edge in talent with their forwards and proven goaltending. They lost some leadership with graduation, Schwab was a big loss. However, I believe Dahl and Charpentier (if they stay healthy) are ready to fill that role. Defense could be a problem. Coaching is a plus.

They are closely followed by Hill-Murray. The good news is they are bringing back relatively the same team. The bad news is this group didn’t play that well in big games, especially down the stretch. Another question mark with them is can they get any real play from their best player (recovering from knee surgery). I really thought Knajdek came into her own last year. Hopefully she can recover; if not the rest of the D will have to show more then they did last year (inconsistent). They have a young goalie that comes in with a lot of hype and promise, but untested. If they put it together watch out!

Roseville does have solid Defense and they better live up to the promise because they lost over half there scoring and I don’t see any real additions. They go as far as Brausen and Capistrant can take them (which are very good). I think the jury is still out on their young goalie.

White Bear will be very similar to Roseville in the fact that they have solid Defense, they may have a little more scoring depth, but they also a lot more questions in regards to their goaltending. Not to mention a new coach.

I think any one of these 4 teams can win it. Just like CDH did last year, who can get hot down the stretch? Prediction for Section Seeds: Stillwater #1, HM #2, Roseville #3, WBL #4. Let the games begin.
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

hockeyheaven wrote:
.....Another question mark with them is can they get any real play from their best player (recovering from knee surgery). I really thought Knajdek came into her own last year.
[quote/]
SR - Knajdek is back skating in the captains practices she may miss the first few games but will be back strong. After missing playing for the MN Jr Whitecaps (she played one series in May at forward and had 4 goals) I think she will be pretty motivated to have impact - key for her and whole team will they move the puck to the open player - best in position to score - if they learn to distribute the puck they will score alot of goals across the line up. Hill has 5 kids skating in the Elite League East Metro Team they have all looked pretty good when in the line up - H. Brandt 9th (NDP), M. Brandt 10th, Harren SR, Pendleton JR, Stumpf SR which has been a great tune up for the season.

[/quote] if not the rest of the D will have to show more then they did last year (inconsistent).
[quote/]

.......agree 5 played a lot last year - the 5 combined have as much or more experience as any in section there are 4 pretty good D competing for the 6 th spot. Besides Knajdek, Pendleton (NDP and in Elite HS League), Dolan, Brushu, Ley (has already committed to a D1 Soccer Schlarship) - all skated a lot this summer and have improved individually and collectively.

[/quote] They have a young goalie that comes in with a lot of hype and promise, but untested. If they put it together watch out!
[quote/]

HM program has McKeever 10th (top Bantam A goalie in Woodbury last year), Wentzel SR. (played 50% of games last year) and two strong 9th graders and an 8th grader who could surprise if any injuries.

The old saying though is.....it is not where you start but where you finish.....team has 4 tough opening games @ WB, Stillwater, Roseau and Warroad - could be 0-4 or 4-0? Biggest test will be can HM play strong in a weaker conference and then do well in Non Conference against WB, Stillwater, Roseau, Warroad, Grand Rapids, Cloquet, Edina Tournament Teams, Edina and BSM.

By February this will again be toughest section to get out of in the State....
Last edited by joehockey on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
hockeyheaven

Post by hockeyheaven »

That great news. Knadjdek is a very talented player. Up until last year her play was a little to conservative to garner the attention she deserved. She showed only flashes of greatness. Last year she seemed to put it together and played with more confidence and was a force that was to hard to ignore. Glad to hear she will be ready to compete. It’s just too bad she was unable to compete in the Elite league. She ranks right up there with the best.
GopherWild

Post by GopherWild »

North St. Paul did lose Stephanie Anderson to the Thoroughbreds. There was a rumor O'Brien was going there too but now it sounds like she's not. Sounds like they may only have 1 senior on the team this season as a few of last season's juniors don't want to play this season. It might be another down season for the Polars. At least they'll still have O'Brien, Bothwell & Knutson.
kalciumxx30

Post by kalciumxx30 »

Are there any new opinions on this section?
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

Here is a site that shows Sectional Results to Date based on head to head play.

http://www.minnesota-scores.net./classs ... 10&class=3

Section 4AA Standings
QRF Rank Team (QRF) Section
W L T W L T AVG AVG
No. 1 Roseville (0.0) 2 0 0
No. 1 Stillwater Area (0.0) 1 1 0
No. 1 Hill-Murray (0.0) 3 0 0
No. 1 White Bear Lake (0.0) 1 2 0
No. 1 Tartan (0.0) 1 0 0
No. 1 North St. Paul (0.0) 1 3 0
No. 1 Cretin-Derham Hall (0.0) 1 1 0
No. 1 Minneapolis (0.0) 0 1 0
No. 1 St. Paul Blades (0.0) 0 2 0
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

So here is where the teams are ranked QRF, KRACH, Section Record, Overall Record and Goals For, Goals Against. Not sure when the seeding meeting is WBL plays Roseville yet and Friday Stillwater and Roseville meet - if Roseville stumbles at all the list changes - otherwise this may be the final rank for seedings:

QRF.......... KRACH.....TEAM............SW........ SL.............ST............W.............L...............T..............GF AVG..........GA AVG
2...............1..............Roseville...........4..............0...............0..............21.......................1...............1..............4.4...........1.1
3...............3..............Stillwater Area..........4...............2..............0..............19............3..............0.........................5...............1.5
8.............. 4...............Hill-Murray................6..............0...............0....................19.............3........................0...............4.5...........1.5
24.............16............White Bear Lake.........3..............4..............0...............14.............7..............1.........................2.8............2.4
22.............25............North St. Paul.............4..............4............. 0...............14............8..............1...............3.9...........2.4
64.............58............Minneapolis............... 1...............2..............0..............8..............13.............2.........................2.3............3.7
66.............64............Tartan...... 1...............4..............0..............6..............16.............0.........................1.9............4.1
59.............55............Cretin-Derham Hall.... 1...............6..............0..............5..............18.............0.........................1.2............3.5
68.............66............St. Paul Blades...........1..............3..............0.......... 2...............21............0..............1.7............5.5

Roseville has proved to have solid D, one top scoring line and best goaltending at 1.1 Goals Against. Undefeated in Section Games but has not played Hill.
Stillwater has proved to have balanced scoring across three solid lines and best Goals For at 5.0 a game with very good goaltending at 1.5 Goals Againt. Sectional losses to Hill Murray and Roseville.
Hill Murray has two scoring lines and Goals For Ahead of Roseville but trailing Stillwater and Goals against at 1.5. Undefeated in Section Games but have not played Roseville.
White Bear is the spoiler in this group with good goaltending and 5x5 play aka stay out of the box they could win the section.
N. St. Paul same could be said here 5x5 this is a very good team and with goalie who can take over a game - lots of balanced lines.
Melvin44

Post by Melvin44 »

Does anyone know who the old time ref at the Stillwater vs. WBL game was yesterday? We've had this guy 4 or 5 times and why is he a ref at this level? I wouldn't have a problem with him dropping the puck. Just don't let him make CALLS! Stillwater is a very good team and didn't need the help. He shouldn't ref big games!

I normally will always give an official the benefit of the doubt but wow is he bad. I'm sure he's a very nice guy but he ruined the game as he has all season. The first period was great hockey up and down the ice and then he decides to ruin it by calling questionable after questionable call.

True story. After the game yesterday I was talking to a parent from Stillwater in the parking lot and this ref actually backs out and while we're both yelling for him to stop rams into a big white van. If you can't see a big white van you sure the heck can't ref a High School girls hockey game.

Who is this guy? PM me.
Bensonmum

Post by Bensonmum »

joehockey wrote:
Roseville has proved to have solid D, one top scoring line and best goaltending at 1.1 Goals Against. Undefeated in Section Games but has not played Hill.
Brausen, Logan, Flug - 47 goals
Capistrant, Kerr, Brodt - 39 goals
Joe, which one of these do you consider the 'top scoring line'. When you decide, please tell your H-M coach that that he can disregard the one that you don't pick. :roll:
All season I've heard that 'Roseville will go as far as Brausen can take them', as if they're a one-trick pony. God, I hope that the opposing coaches in the section and at state buy into this.
joehockey

Post by joehockey »

Bensonmum wrote:
joehockey wrote:
Brausen, Logan, Flug - 47 goals
Capistrant, Kerr, Brodt - 39 goals
Joe, which one of these do you consider the 'top scoring line'. When you decide, please tell your H-M coach that that he can disregard the one that you don't pick. :roll:
All season I've heard that 'Roseville will go as far as Brausen can take them', as if they're a one-trick pony. God, I hope that the opposing coaches in the section and at state buy into this.
Thank you my error I stand corrected I thought Capistrant and Brausen were skating together, as the #1 team in the State they obviously won't be touched. Great lines Brausen 24 G, Logan 14 G, Flugg 9 & Capistrant 22, Kerr 14, Brodt 4. No one will stay with the Raiders I will pass the word along to anyone you may have missed - good luck in the final games.
Last edited by joehockey on Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 »

Roseville has scored 101 goals so far, Hill Murray 98 and Stillwater 114.
They are all pretty close. I don't know the balance on Hill-Murray but they are scoring just as many goals. Stillwater is getting pretty balanced scoring from all 3 of their lines.
Melvin44

Post by Melvin44 »

Bensonmum,

I think where Joe and everyone comes up with one line is that everyone thinks that Brausen and Capistrant play on the same line as they did earlier in the year. You have to agree Beth is your top player don't you? and if you'd lose her it would hurt your chances considerably.

I actually feel Roseville is 3 lines deep and have 4-5 very good D. Not to mention a top goalie/s. Let's not forget the coaches are also top notch and that is the reason why they're #1. Hockey is a team game and I feel Roseville is the best TEAM thus far.

If for some reason WBL doesn't represent sec 4 (Yes I'm a homer). My next pick would be Roseville.
goalzilla

Post by goalzilla »

Would really like to see a possibility of an upset this year, but dont think it is going to happen. Probably will be Roseville/Stillwater. HM beat Stillwater 1st game of the year and believe Stillwater would like another crack at them. WBL may have a chance to spoil if they keep abramson in the net; by far the most composed and mobile of their 2 goalies. If it comes down to Roseville/Stillwater IMO Roseville has the edge on Defense and coaching. Stillwater edge on goaltending and call it even on offense. Roseville should go all the way. but as we know its hard to beat a team multilple times in a single season and being ranked #1 makes things a little toughter too. Should be interesting after the first round of games are played,
Sharkman

Post by Sharkman »

hockeywild7 wrote:Roseville has scored 101 goals so far, Hill Murray 98 and Stillwater 114.
They are all pretty close. I don't know the balance on Hill-Murray but they are scoring just as many goals. Stillwater is getting pretty balanced scoring from all 3 of their lines.
Hill Murray should divide by 2 for their total goals. Their conference schedule is so weak. If Roseville or Stillwater played that schedule they might have 201 Goals. Your not even close.
Bensonmum

Post by Bensonmum »

Sorry Joe I think I sounded too snippy in that last post--it was meant a little more tongue in cheek than that. Brausen and Capistrant maybe skated together for 2 or 3 games... IMO the bigger story is that Ahna Logan and Dani Kerr have really stepped it up, as well as the two youngters playing very mature and productive.
Yes, without Brausen it isn't the same team--she does it all. She's a great two-way player like many recent Roseville stars (Dorr, Babineau, Cody). She plays point on the power play and also penalty kill. She's an excellent back-checker and forechecker. Roseville would miss her more than Stillwater or HM would miss any one player--I guess that's what Joe was getting at.
And goalzilla mentions that '...Roseville has the edge on Defense and coaching' over Stillwater. Roseville's coaching is top-notch, absolutely. But I'm not sure you ever have an advantage over Coach Scheid.