Meet your 2008 Twins!

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

Young delivers a 2RBI single.

The Royal comeback just got twice as difficult.

Need more, still only one down.
Joey (nine toes) Marcoux

Post by Joey (nine toes) Marcoux »

Young delivers......Gardy finally takes a breath.
Irishmans Shanty

To the 8th

4 nuts Twins.

Will it be Baker taking the mound?
Irishmans Shanty

Mijares gets Buck.

one away
Irishmans Shanty

Mijares keeps the Royals off the board in the 8th

Get Nathan warm for the 9th
Joey (nine toes) Marcoux

Punto starts the 9th with a single........
Joey (nine toes) Marcoux

Big Joe with a 2 out triple to score 2 more.....keep Nathan on the pine.
Irishmans Shanty

3 outs from putting the Sox in a must win contest tomorrow afternoon.
Irishmans Shanty

And that's it for the 2008 regular season.

88-74 is the mark.

As far as a Central division crown, stay tuned.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Irishmans Shanty wrote:And that's it for the 2008 regular season.

88-74 is the mark.
I think officially, if the game gets played on Tuesday, 89 will be the mark, correct? I know in '95 after the Mariners won their play-in game against the Angels, they both ended with an official total of 145 games (79-66), when all the other teams finished with 144.

Just want to make sure UNS & boblee don't have any issue with the final total for purposes of correctly getting the bored winner.

As far as I'm concerned, the two of them can enter the steel cage to settle the winner.
Irishmans Shanty

The '98 Cubs/Giants had a play-in and the standings have both of them at 163 games so it looks like a game Tuesday would be the final regular season game.

I don't see Detroit doing much against the Sox tomorrow. Tuesday's game will come to fruition and the Twins will need to find a way to win on the road.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Govs93 wrote:
Irishmans Shanty wrote:And that's it for the 2008 regular season.

88-74 is the mark.
I think officially, if the game gets played on Tuesday, 89 will be the mark, correct? I know in '95 after the Mariners won their play-in game against the Angels, they both ended with an official total of 145 games (79-66), when all the other teams finished with 144.

Just want to make sure UNS & boblee don't have any issue with the final total for purposes of correctly getting the bored winner.

As far as I'm concerned, the two of them can enter the steel cage to settle the winner.
As I said before, Bobber would be getting a Shirley Temple so it may make more sense for UNS. I think Detroit could make a little noise tomorrow, the Sox might be sleeping on them and looking ahead to Tuesday.

Officially, Tuesday will be a regular season game where the Twins can win the Central and Joe can win/lose the batting title. Remember Sammy had a chance to tie Big Mac if he hit 5 during his one game playoff. Wonder if he woulda gotten an asterisk too?

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:I think Detroit could make a little noise tomorrow, the Sox might be sleeping on them and looking ahead to Tuesday.
I hope so, because my (and every Twins fan's) confidence in Blackburn starting on the road is nil. The guy can't pitch on the road - and I can't imagine how he'll suddenly manage to calm down and figure it out in a do-or-die game. That's a less than desireable situation. Figure that if he gets into trouble early, you may see Liriano or Perkins to come in and try to bail him out since their bullpen can't be trusted for long relief.

If the Tigers can take care of it for us, it's a whole different animal. they'd be able to start Liriano in Game 1, and Baker in Game 2 against the Rays, then Blackburn can come home and start Game 3. I like the odds in that scenario.

Big game today.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Its either 88 or 89. If the Sox win today, it wil take 89 wins to win the division. MLB considers it a regular season game.

The Ultimate Final Factor may be.......the coin toss they lost.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Because the White Sox have been going with just four starting pitchers for most of the past two weeks, Gavin Floyd will be pitching on three days' rest for the second time in a week and a half. He allowed five runs in 6 1/3 innings in his other start on short rest, Sept. 20 in Kansas City. On regular rest, he's 6-1 since July 30, including two wins over the Red Sox and one each over the Twins and Yankees.
Indians forever

Post by Indians forever »

Lets go Tigers!!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D>
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Buehrle pitched on 3 days rest yesterday.

Some guys can do it and some cant.

There was a time in the playoffs were it was pretty clear that it wasnt a good idea. Some of the stats were real strong against doing it.

Hopefully, Ozzie is making a mistake.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Anybody have ESPN2 on? Are they saying how long they think the delay will go? I'm not seeing anything on MLB or the Sox site.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

packerboy wrote:Buehrle pitched on 3 days rest yesterday.

Some guys can do it and some cant.

There was a time in the playoffs were it was pretty clear that it wasnt a good idea. Some of the stats were real strong against doing it.

Hopefully, Ozzie is making a mistake.
I remember when someone said that Contreras going down was going to have a somewhat big effect. Here it is.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
Bash Brother

Post by Bash Brother »

The twins just seem to keep in the race despite their best efforts to blow it.

It makes for a very entertaining race.

Go Twins
BB
GR3343

Post by GR3343 »

Govs93 wrote:Anybody have ESPN2 on? Are they saying how long they think the delay will go? I'm not seeing anything on MLB or the Sox site.
Weather reports say the game will start this afternoon but didn't give an official time. The rainy weather will continue, but will be intermittent and shouldn't cancel or postpone the game too much longer.

What would happen if they couldn't get it in? Double dip at Chicago tomorrow? Twins fly in just in case? Would be a strange scenario.
Character is who you are when no one is watching
Bash Brother

Post by Bash Brother »

GR3343 wrote:
Govs93 wrote:Anybody have ESPN2 on? Are they saying how long they think the delay will go? I'm not seeing anything on MLB or the Sox site.
Weather reports say the game will start this afternoon but didn't give an official time. The rainy weather will continue, but will be intermittent and shouldn't cancel or postpone the game too much longer.

What would happen if they couldn't get it in? Double dip at Chicago tomorrow? Twins fly in just in case? Would be a strange scenario.
I say lets play 2
BB
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

GR3343 wrote:

The division series isn't scheduled to start until Thursday, so I assume they could back things up to Wednesday if need be.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

I'm seeing a report from Joe Christensen at the Strib that the game is slated to start at 4:00. Go Tigers!!
It's hard to win when you always lose.