Best Freshman in the country

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Scsu

Best Freshman in the country

Post by Scsu »

i say its roe is has been solid from the start of the season he can snipe it from anywere and he wins a lot of face offs and did i say he dominates the power play
slapshot89

Post by slapshot89 »

I agree with it being Roe, he has certainly been very impressive.
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

turris from wisconsin.
wisconsinprephockey

Post by wisconsinprephockey »

MNHockey75 wrote:turris from wisconsin.
I must say, I was on the Turris bandwagon early, but then I saw him play in person. Talent he has, but from what I saw (keep in mind ive only been able to make one game this year), he is a one way player, he was quick to whine and take cheap retaliation shots. It didn't seem that Mankato had to do a lot to take him out of his element and off his game. In my personal opinion he has some maturing to do before he could be named a top rookie, not to mention he has yet to show up against a quality openent on a regular basis.
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

I looked a little further into the subject and found some names and stats. First off, I didn't realize Garrett Roe has 24 points. That's pretty impressive. I'm looking foward to seeing him play. Kyle Turris has 19 points, he looked good when I watched him on TV.

A couple other names...Aaron Palushaj (19 pts) and Max Pacioretty (18 pts) from Michigan. I saw James vanRiensdyk play on TV from UNH and he looked very good, he has 15 points. Also, a really hot goalie right now is Richard Bachman from CC. 9-2, 1.63 GAA, .945 SV%. I'm sure more names will come out over the next couple months.
nikebauer_07

Post by nikebauer_07 »

And 8 of Turris' points came against Robert Morris 8)
wisconsinprephockey

Post by wisconsinprephockey »

nikebauer_07 wrote:And 8 of Turris' points came against Robert Morris 8)
I dont feel like doin the research but anyone got how many have come against WCHA opponents. It aint gonna be much. So far Turris has generated a lot of hype to only produce a good weekend, or two.
nikebauer_07

Post by nikebauer_07 »

wisconsinprephockey wrote:
nikebauer_07 wrote:And 8 of Turris' points came against Robert Morris 8)
I dont feel like doin the research but anyone got how many have come against WCHA opponents. It aint gonna be much. So far Turris has generated a lot of hype to only produce a good weekend, or two.
According to the Badgers website, he has 2 goals and 5 assists through ten games in the WCHA.
NHL07cheif

Post by NHL07cheif »

Garret Roe hands down....hes a little guy @ only 5'7 but he plays with a huge heart....he has great speed, a great shot, and great hands....he isnt afraid of taking the body either.....hes racking up the points this year and Huskie faithfull with enjoy watching him throughout his career @ SCSU
STC18

Post by STC18 »

It has to be Garrett Roe.
Ben Dover plays BOTH ways.
fiveforfighting

Post by fiveforfighting »

Roe, and Turris are the most outstanding freshman in the nation.
GRhawky

Post by GRhawky »

Its a toss up between Turris and Roe. I have only seen Roe play but he was the best player on the ice in both games versus UMD at the DECC.
Little Falls Fan

Post by Little Falls Fan »

ROE!!!!!!

He's a SNIPER!!!!!!
Jbone

Post by Jbone »

Roe deffinetly is one of the quickest all around players as far as his feet, hands, and shot, but he may be one of the cheapest players I've seen. He's too whiney and is a very hypocritical player as far as calls that are or aren't made on him. No question though, the best freshman this year in the WCHA.
newsguy35

Post by newsguy35 »

Could be Kangas depending on how the rest of the season goes and if Lucia gives him the chance to prove his worth. The kid has the talent and work ethic to be the best in the nation, can he continue to progress and make it thru a full WCHA year? Only time will tell. I think he could run the table tho and keep the gophs in NCAA tournament contention.
bubblehockey27

Post by bubblehockey27 »

all of michigan's
"Virtual high five to chest bump" (MP)
grizz77

Post by grizz77 »

Alex Kangas hands down. Bachman from CC does not even compare. Top 2 are Kangas and Roe.
boblee

post 10234

Post by boblee »

Not the best in the nation, but Patrick White had a wonderful series vs. Minnesota State. Obviously Kangas has been awesome. I would say he is the best freshman in the nation right now.
pacman

Post by pacman »

Kangas Easily, also i would throw Cade Fairchild, Stu Bickel and Patrick White into that mix, Fontaine for the Dogs has had a good year, So has Sackrison for the Mavericks
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

I would say Bachman and Kangas have probably doen more to help their team than any other freshman. Roe for SCSU is a good player in power play opportunities but he seems pretty ordinary outside of that realm. 9 goals and 23 assists on the power player is very good... 9 goals and only 3 assists at full strength. So his numbers rely very heavily on special teams (probably more heavily than most players). Not to mention, being a -7 on the year says his defensive play has been lacking.

I'd probably go with Bachman simply because he has been doing it all year whereas Kangas has really only been "the man" since January. But Kangas is certainly playing great and he will look good in the Gopher net in the coming seasons. :)