Youth coaches & helmets - questionnaire

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Youth coaches & helmets - questionnaire

Post by elliott70 »

If you are a youth hockey coach,

Do you plan on wearing a helmet this season?
Do you plan on continue coaching?

If yo do not wear a helmet and are reported, what do you think the penalty should be?

If you are not a youth hockey coach, what do you think the penalty should be for not wearing a helmet?

Please, serious replies only.
Hobey Faker

Post by Hobey Faker »

As a coach:I don't agree with the rule; but it wont stop me from doing what I like to do in the winter. I get on players about not going in corners
or avoiding situations were they might get hit. for me it would be hypocritical to give up coaching because I have to ware a helmet.
I don't know what the punishment should be. there are going to be times when coaches forget there helmets; for that maybe a warning.if they don't ware one out of spite; get rid of them.
elliott70

Faker

Post by elliott70 »

Thanks.
RinkRat10506

Helmets

Post by RinkRat10506 »

Is the new rule that coaches have to wear helmets when on the ice practicing or when they are on the bench during a game?

If it's during practice I don't see it as a bad deal. It shows the young players an example, but on the bench it would be kinda stupid.
pucks/sticks

Post by pucks/sticks »

I may stand alone on this but I think the new rule sucks. I think a coach should have the right to sign some kind of form if he/she chooses not to wear a helmet. I think as a 30 yr old adult I should have the choice, not be forced. A quote from an article in lets play hockey " I can ride a motorcycle down the highway at 70 mph and I have a choice to wear a helmet but if I coach 15 mites I am forced to wear a helmet". I think, and maybe I wrong but, you may see some of the better coaches go up and coach or be an assistant an the high school level their they give you a choice. A varsity high school coach, where pucks are shot WAY harder than an mite, squirt, peewee, and most bantams and the practice pace is much faster doesn't have to put on a helmet. I just don't get it.
shoot to thrill

re: helmets

Post by shoot to thrill »

I really wish they would have made this more of a gradual change. Perhaps starting at the lower level teams (Mites etc..) and then working their way over time to the upper level teams. I also think that coaches that have earned the highest level coaching card should be exempt.

But, they didn't do that and now we have to adjust to what they put in place. I, for one, would not let this stop me from coaching but I think it is overkill. As far as punishment, you are going to have numerous people try to get around or ignore the rule so you have to have something in place. The problem is that you'd hate to see a team suffer without a head coach for any length of time because he forgot (whether deliberate or not) his helmet one day.

I would leave it up to the associations to deal with coming up with their own internal rules for suspensions etc. for this issue.

As for Minnesota Hockey and its districts, they should fine the associations $100.00 each time a violation is noted. Every association should be allowed one warning but after that they would be fined. That would force the associations to monitor it themselves and if they want to come up with an internal penalty (ie. suspend a coach, etc.) they can.