Twins 34-34 on 6/18

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

packerboy

Talk is cheap

Post by packerboy »

Right goldy, all it takes is for the veterans to speak up.

You watch too much TV

The veterans speak up and Mauer hits .375, Moneau 84 RBIs and Liriano thows BBs and Cuddyer finds some consistency.

The problem with your theory is that it was the veterans who were the drag on this team for the first part of the season. White couldnt get a hit.
Radke couldnt get anybody out and Hunter was terrible. Stewart has hurt, and Batista and Castro did nothing and are gone.

I dont like Radke. But I will admit he is the one veteran who has joined in with the young guys to lift this team. Every other veteran is gone or hurt.
packerboy

A brain teaser

Post by packerboy »

I dont know IS, you may have been right the first time.

We should consult HAL on this but I like the first analysis the best.

Will I dream?
larsey

Post by larsey »

Sounds like people here are a little nervous to start talking about tonights game...so i'll start. We have Liriano squaring up with Miner. Liriano has been out of this world and Miner has struggled ever since the all-star break. In his last 2 starts he's lasted 6 2/3 and has given up 10 runs. We have our #1,2,3 starters lined up for this series. I like the Twins in the first game and if we win tonight, they're gonna be very tough to beat for the whole series. We'll see tonight if the arse whoppin' the Tigers gave the Twins earlier this year will have any kind of mentle effect on their play. Personally, i'd say the Twins have a stratagy to reverse the tables.

Go Twins!
packerboy

Tiger by the tail

Post by packerboy »

Well Larsey, This is an important series in a lot of ways.

They need to keep winning to stay in the WC race.

It would be nice to gain ground on the Tigers but we really need to get ahead of the Sox and Yanks more than anything.

But right now at this point maybe the most imporatant thing is just to beat these guys a couple of times. The Tigers have been playing flawless basebal. Their pitching has been great and the hitting timely.

The sweep vs Chi was great but they are down right now. Lets see if we cant beat a team that is playing well and wont give us anything.

I like the way the rotation works out for the next 10 games.

2out of 3 vs Tigers and Tex; Sweep KC and lets see where that gets us.
larsey

Post by larsey »

Packerboy, have you already forgotten...the baseball Gods have spoken!

"Look out for the Twins cause they're going to the play-offs"

REMEMBER??? HMMMM??? :lol:

On the other hand, 2 of 3 from the Tigers and Tex, with a sweep from KC sounds like a good start getting to the "mythical" 34

It's Fri. night and I'm thinkin' it may be a good night for the local pub and the big screen.

Enjoy the game everyone!
packerboy

Rangers get Lee

Post by packerboy »

the Rangers got Lee and disnt give up that much. It doesnt look to me like Texas "mortgaged their future" to get him.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

I agree. They definitely didn't give up a ton. It would have been like us giving up Rincon and Rondell if he had hit like this all season. Oh, and swapping some prospects.

Lets Go Twins!
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

For any of you expecting the Tigers to come back to the back, I'm here to tell you again, it isn't happening. The '06 Tigers are a special team, they came into the stadium of the league's best home team and they spit right into their face. Had the sweep occurred, I wouldn't be on the ledge right now because the Tigers have been doing this to everyone all year long.

Seventeen years before the 2006 Minnesota Twins were conceived a Movie was made about them. Let's have a look.

Harris = Radke: Though Radke isn't known for slinging balls to the plate with Vaseline or Vagisil they are both crafty old veteran hurlers throwing through pain in hopes of helping their team one more time before the final curtain drops on their careers.
Roger Dorn = Torii Hunter: Dorn and Hunter are productive veteran players preoccupied with their next contract and they are both known for throwing haymakers at fellow teammates.
Cerrano = Morneau: These two are really the lifeblood when it comes to their teams' ability to hit the long ball. Even though Morneau probably doesn't have any Caribbean blood in his family tree, his hockey background my have given him the abiltiy to do shots and be supersticious about his approach to the game.
Hayes = Ford: Two players that have the unique ability to pound balls off of the plate for hits as well as being the center of clubhouse entertainment. In Hayes' case he did it with his mouth, with Ford, he does it with his actions.
Jake Taylor = Mike Redmond: Two veteran catchers that bat in the middle of the lineup only because of their toughness, grit, and ability to put the ball in play. Their real talent isn't on the field anymore, rather it is displayed in the clubhouse and on the team plane.
Lou Brown = Gardy: Down to Earth managers who somehow get all the personalities within the team to play good baseball.
Ricky Vaugh = Liriano: Rookie flame throwers who become vital to their teams' rise in the standings.
Indians Front Office = Twins Front Office: There's no question the Twins' front office wants to see its club succeed unlike the Indian Front Office. However, the penny pinching measures shown by taping the prop of the Indian's team plane is parallel to the Twins' signings of Batista, White, and Sierra this past off season.

Let's hope the biggest similarity between these two teams is how the end the season!
packerboy

See you at the movies

Post by packerboy »

Its life imitating art once again.

The first 2 games looked too familiar. Like April and May.

I give the Tigers a lot of credit but the Twins really didnt play well. Bad at bats and not making the plays in the field nor getting the key out on the mound.

However, to the Twins credit, the run differential was only a +1 for the Tigers for the series. Thats alot better than April, May.

They arent going to catch the Tigers. Lets go to work on the rest of the league and stay in the WC hunt.

Well, from all accounts it looks like the Twins are in the hunt for Soriano.

This means its an issue of who do you want to give up and not money.... although who picks up what of his salalry may be an issue.

So, who do you boys want to give up?

Did the games vs the Tigers convince the 'stand pat ' guys that we need another bat?
ChrisK

It's the rotation

Post by ChrisK »

Went to the game on Sunday with my younger son. Wow! Bonderman looks absolutely dominating and I figure it's going to be another disappointment when suddenly and inexplicably the roof falls in on the Tigers.

I was one who thought the Tigers would be falling back to earth before the end of the season after this weekend I'm off that bandwagon.

After Santana's performance yesterday and the appearance that Radke's shoulder might be bothering him again, the Twins priority should be getting another starter. I wasn't impressed with the options that I saw out there when I last checked but like I've said many times now, if Radke goes down they'll have a rotation of Santana, Liriano and then a choice of Silva, Bonser, Baker and maybe Garza or God forbid, Lohse, to fill out the back end. I guess if they don't pick up a pitcher they might need someone like Soriano because they'll need a lot of offense. I wouldn't want to give up Garza though not because it could be mortgaging the future but because they're getting thin on starters for this year.
packerboy

Garza is not available

Post by packerboy »

The Twins have made it clear that Garza is not available.

I agree that the Twins could use a starter but not as much as a slugger. They got a great start from Liriano and lost.

I think, relatively speaking, thay are fine at starting pitching and with their bullpen, thats not going to keep them out of the playoffs.

They need one more guy to compete offensively. Getting Soriano would be huge. The reason he hasnt been traded yet is because he is the biggest prize and the most expensive.

Garza for Soriano. Right now.

Deal or no deal?
ChrisK

Hit, pitch and catch

Post by ChrisK »

Good comeback, packerboy, the bullpen is a strength for this team and if Radke weren't such a question mark I wouldn't have a problem with the pitching. As it is, I think they're going to burn out the bullpen if they have to finish without Radke which is looking more likely.

I'm reasonably content with the lineup as it is, in Mauer they've got the best hitter in the game right now, a decent leadoff hitter in Castillo, Morneau, their first 30 home run slugger in 20 years and other players coming through like Cuddyer, Punto and Bartlett (he's hitting .328 right now!). We would have killed for this lineup last year. The team batting average is .283, which is higher than Detroit, New York and Boston. The team ERA is 4.25, lower than the White Sox and Red Sox to be sure, but a lot higher than Detroit's 3.69.

It'd be nice to have Soriano, but giving up Garza is too high a price.
larsey

Post by larsey »

Correct me if i'm wrong CK. I believe what you meant is, because Radke such a ? right now, giving up Garza is too high a price?

If Radke is healthy, I take that trade yesterday!
Irishmans Shanty

The deadline has passed, but I'm still clinging to hopes that this team will have some kind of addition before the final deal goes public this evening. This weekend was evidence to me that the way the Twins are currently constructed they are destined to finish 3rd in the division as well as in the Wild Card standings. This is not saying they won't have a good season and finish with 93 wins, but I want some October baseball, and 93 won't get it done.

Any Twins fan who was able to catch a little of the deadline special on ESPN News this afternoon got some goosebumps when the experts were speculating that the Twins were believed to be the team closest to landing Soriano. John Kruk showed why the National Experts are not always informed. Kruk was saying that trading Hunter and Stewart was too much for Soriano. Are you kidding me? I would make that deal in a second. Tell me what Stewart or Hunter have done in the last three weeks to keep the Twins close. I'll tell you, they've done just as much as I have. In addition, Stewart and Hunter are gone next year anyway. Soriano for Hunter and Stewart even up for the remainder of the season, that's better than AJ for Liriano and Nathan. Maybe Garza was the kicker and Ryan walked away, but if it was a 2 for 1 and he walked, maybe they are the Indians front office from Major League.
packerboy

Deal me in

Post by packerboy »

The Yankees get Abreu, the Rangers get Lee and thats aout it.

The Twins do nothing as usual. It looks like the Nats were not serious about trading Soriano unless they could fleece someone. So, why didnt we figure that out early and get Lee. The Rangers didnt give up anything the Twins could not have matched.

Well, maybe he is thinking about something more alomg the lines of a no brainer Brett Boone type deal.

Thats what we have. A GM and owner who are afraid to pull the trigger on anything that isnt a 'no brainer'

Would giving up Garza for Soriano be risky. Sure. But it wouldnt be reckless.

Garza could turn out to be another Willie Banks, Letroy Hawkins or Frankie Rodriguez. At best we have Garza being a solid starter and next year we will be right here again in the same place.

Why not mortgage the future if the future is 90 wins and no October.
ChrisK

Stand pat

Post by ChrisK »

You're right Larsey, with two phenomenal starters and Radke serviceable, I would have parted with Garza no problem. Without a major league arm to fill in for Radke, they may have to use Garza this year. Silva's having a good game tonight, so maybe my fears are unfounded but it's going to be an interesting ride for the rest of the season. At least Ryan got a warm body for Lohse.

I was more upset last year that Ryan wasn't able to pull the trigger, but if he had Liriano might be pitching for the Rangers this year. If the Twins fall just short this year Ryan will have to take some of the blame, but it's too soon to pass judgment on Ryan's lack of action at the deadline this year.
larsey

Post by larsey »

What the hell was that...welcome back Torii Hunter night?!?!

Don't get me wrong, i'm not complaining...BUT GEEZ!, it reminded me of HS. Oh, I know, lets get Louie in the game...Oh, better yet, let's get Tiffee in there too! Wait a minute...hmmmm??????? Tiffee and Louie are still on the team right? The only string they didn't pull was gettin' Garza in there somehow to close er' up. :lol:

Just kiddin' guys

It was a good win for DA TWINS... and Silva looked pretty good too!

Go Twins!!!
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

It's just one game but Lee was horrendous last night, two missed fly balls leading to many, many runs. The Twins were beaten by a better Detroit team and for team missing their leader in Pudge to come in to a hostile place like the Dome and play that well really impressed me. The Twins have a big series coming up at KC this weekend, 4 games at the Royals. They haven't fared too well in KC so far this year and they follow that up with 3 at Detroit and 4 at home with the Blue Jays The next 2 weeks will make or break their season, and probably elimanate either Toronto or Minnesota from playoff contention.

Why is it in baseball a pop up can fall in the middle of 3 guys standing still and it's not an error? I realize that it's hard to charge just 1 guy but there ought to be a team error or something. It seems unfair for a pitcher to get charged earned runs for a play like that.
packerboy

Keep the ball rolllin

Post by packerboy »

Were gonna win Twins, were gonna score
Were gonna win Twins, watch that baseball soar

15 runs. Good to see the bats singin but even more important is the Silva outing. He looked like 2005. Again, if he can regain his 2005 form, it will be huge.

Baker goes tonight. He needs to get us thru 6 with 4 or less.

The Twins are a much better team than Texas and they should win at least 2 of 3 at home.

Its gonna be a long 2 months goldy. Nothing wil be decided in the next couple of weeks. I think this will be the tightest playoff race the Twins have been in since 1967 and maybe decided on the last day. The teams involved all are too good to collapse and the rest of the league is pretty weak.

Stock up on your favorite beverage and enjoy it.
Irishmans Shanty

I slept much better last night knowing that Terry Ryan's deadline deals focused on improving the JV's push for the playoffs. The addition of Quinton McCracken and the A player from the Reds Organization should give Rochester the depth they need to win it all this year.
packerboy

no help

Post by packerboy »

Good point IS. When your squad gets in contention you want to make sure that the AAA affialiate doesnt get forgotten and make moves accordingly.

Lets hope the game last night is one of the 65 that they were bound to lose anyway.

Lirianos injury better be minor. If he has to miss 3 or 4 starts, they are cooked.

Go Boof.
ChrisK

Last night...

Post by ChrisK »

Not a good game last night and Baker gets sent down, presumably to strengthen the Red Wings for their playoff push.

The Twins need the game today, they can't afford to lose any more series. The rotation is suddenly looking shaky, with Radke's shoulder acting up on Saturday, Santana's mediocre start on Sunday and now Liriano's elbow. I'd expect Santana to bounce back but it doesn't inspire confidence when he can't make it 6 innings in a game the team desperately needed. It does sound like Liriano's elbow is not serious which is good. Bonser is making his start today on only 3 days rest, the hitters might want to take some extra batting practice because they will need to get some hits. The way things are going it seems likely that we will see Garza up here before the end of the season.

Go Twins!
Irishmans Shanty

Not a good game today either. After today's loss the Twins will fall back to 16 over .500. Let's see here, the Twins are 14 over against the four worst teams in the sub-standard NL's worst division, they are 3-0 against the last place Dodgers. My math says the Twins are 2 over against the ALthis year, maybe that is what the Twins really are. Is it realistic to think that a team who is only 2 over against the AL so far this season can do much better than that from here on out.

The Twins have played tremendous baseball since mid June, but I believe there are some AL teams who they will be playing down the stretch that they just don't matchup against (i.e. Texas, Toronto, Detroit, NY, and Boston) real well. I think Radke, Bonser, Silva, and Baker are going to have problems getting outs before yielding runs to some of these lumber swinging AL squads.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Cheer for a winner!

Let's go Yankees!!!
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Start your own thread, Empire, this one's about the Twins not the Evil Empire of the major leagues.

So Bonser's been sent down and replaced by Mike Smith, whoever he is. Radke's shoulder apparently has not responded to the cortisone shot so his status is game by game. It's not looking good right now for our boys.