Hill-Murray Update

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

jg2112

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by jg2112 »

Back to the issue at hand.

Did someone here say the plaintiffs are the 9 seniors on the team and not the team itself?

If so, if the judge is going to grant relief to anyone, it would be only to the people in the lawsuit itself. Meaning - only those 9 skaters would be able to play in the game tomorrow, to be supplemented by non-affected JV players.

Am I wrong in how this lawsuit was filed?
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

jg2112 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:58 pm Back to the issue at hand.

Did someone here say the plaintiffs are the 9 seniors on the team and not the team itself?

If so, if the judge is going to grant relief to anyone, it would be only to the people in the lawsuit itself. Meaning - only those 9 skaters would be able to play in the game tomorrow, to be supplemented by non-affected JV players.

That's how I read that too. I read somewhere that those 9 were over 18 years of age, so maybe the rest of the roster has not reached their 18th birthdate yet? I'm not a Legal expert, so outside of being considered an adult I don't know the rationale for this.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:53 pm
thestickler07 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:16 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:52 pm If you didn't have reason to root against Hill Murray before today.... :P
This whole episode has made me like HM a lot more - the MSHSL are a bunch of bums for trying to keep them out.
#-o
Yes, the MSHSL is specifically trying to keep one of its biggest brands, who also happen to be the defending champs, out of its crown jewel event. (Sarcasm, in case it wasn’t obvious)

I don’t particularly begrudge HM for pursuing all avenues to compete, but the MSHSL is just applying rules equally in this case, the same as it has against other teams.
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

So, for everyone saying let them play on Thursday, where at? The X already is booked for four games with the girls semifinals in both classes. Not sure MSHSL want to be renting another sheet of ice somewhere with the limited crowds and the limited dollars coming in. Or do you have HM/Wayzata start at 9 AM at the X?
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

BSUBeaver wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:07 pm So, for everyone saying let them play on Thursday, where at? The X already is booked for four games with the girls semifinals in both classes. Not sure MSHSL want to be renting another sheet of ice somewhere with the limited crowds and the limited dollars coming in. Or do you have HM/Wayzata start at 9 AM at the X?
Available ice isn't the barrier here.
Be kind. Rewind.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

InThePipes wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:03 pm

That's how I read that too. I read somewhere that those 9 were over 18 years of age, so maybe the rest of the roster has not reached their 18th birthdate yet? I'm not a Legal expert, so outside of being considered an adult I don't know the rationale for this.
Minors are not considered to have the capacity to file suit, though a parent can file on their behalf. This isn’t my area of expertise, but I’m guessing that, based on the issues involved and the need for expediency, only the players of legal age were named as plaintiffs. The other possibility is a separate action being filed on behalf of the minors, in which case their names would be concealed, but it would be obvious from the names of the parents and context of the action who they were.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

O-townClown wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:10 pm
BSUBeaver wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:07 pm So, for everyone saying let them play on Thursday, where at? The X already is booked for four games with the girls semifinals in both classes. Not sure MSHSL want to be renting another sheet of ice somewhere with the limited crowds and the limited dollars coming in. Or do you have HM/Wayzata start at 9 AM at the X?
Available ice isn't the barrier here.
:lol:

No, that's certainly not the issue.
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

I sure they would happy to play at Aldrich. Why don’t they just test the whole team and have the parents foot the bill? If they test negative it’s go time.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

Stang5280 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:21 pm
InThePipes wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:03 pm

Minors are not considered to have the capacity to file suit, though a parent can file on their behalf. This isn’t my area of expertise, but I’m guessing that, based on the issues involved and the need for expediency, only the players of legal age were named as plaintiffs. The other possibility is a separate action being filed on behalf of the minors, in which case their names would be concealed, but it would be obvious from the names of the parents and context of the action who they were.
Okay. The issue is that a judge can only grant relief to the entities that are before him/her. I would find it a unique quirk that only these 9 players would be named in the lawsuit and not the rest (and the team!), because those would be the only players the judge could order to play.

Update: I found the lawsuit filing. 8 plaintiffs, all of them seniors, 2 of them are seniors not on the postseason roster.
Last edited by jg2112 on Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

SEC Scotty wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:26 pm I sure they would happy to play at Aldrich. Why don’t they just test the whole team and have the parents foot the bill? If they test negative it’s go time.
This is the Catch 22 all players have been in since the beginning of March. Testing is undoubtedly the last thing HM wants to do today. If they were confident in negative test results, they would not have paid $372 to file a lawsuit and pay the associated attorney fees.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

jg2112 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:29 pm
SEC Scotty wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:26 pm I sure they would happy to play at Aldrich. Why don’t they just test the whole team and have the parents foot the bill? If they test negative it’s go time.
This is the Catch 22 all players have been in since the beginning of March. Testing is undoubtedly the last thing HM wants to do today. If they were confident in negative test results, they would not have filed a lawsuit.
As I understand it, the issue at hand is not hill testing negative, but the exposure in the WB Section final and the resulting 7 day quarantine.
Hockey Is For Everyone
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Sparty - Girl on the team tested definitively positively in a very unique situation. First hand exposure, not second hand exposure.
So circumstances are different

SEC Scotty - there is the issue of false positives , among others

There is a way to accomplish this, pioneers could play at 11 PM Wednesday or Mariucci Thursday. This is a treasured Minnesota jewel. Mshsl , Mdh and Governor ought to be able to get it done
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

WestMetro wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:45 pm Sparty - Girl on the team tested definitively positively in a very unique situation. First hand exposure, not second hand exposure.

There is a way to accomplish this, pioneers could play at 11 PM Wednesday or Mariucci Thursday. This is a treasured Minnesota jewel. Mshsl , Mdh and Governor ought to be able to get it done
Right now stupidity > common sense.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

SEC Scotty wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:55 pm
WestMetro wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:45 pm Sparty - Girl on the team tested definitively positively in a very unique situation. First hand exposure, not second hand exposure.

Right now stupidity > common sense.
And half the people in the world don't realize which side they're on right now.
East Side Pioneer Guy

WCCO TV reporting now that the judge has ruled against the 9 players.
Hockey Is For Everyone
sparty

Post by sparty »

Rules are rules, ninjas. :lol:
kpryan88

Post by kpryan88 »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:14 pm WCCO TV reporting now that the judge has ruled against the 9 players.
Well, this years’ tourney is a hard pass for me... don’t care at all if this is how the MSHSL is going to act. Garbage way to end a garbage year.
hockeyjacques

Post by hockeyjacques »

As my grandma would say "don't confuse me with the facts'
1) HM has no + players - even proving all negative tests the MDH won't let them play until 12am Thursday and MSHSL won't move the game
2) A + test wasn't officially presented to the school. A phone from AD to AD was made. HM has requested a letter from MDH and proof of a + PCR approved test, as of this am. Nothing has been sent
3) MDH is not applying the rules the same to all teams. Another hockey team in the exact same situation was allowed to play in the past 2 weeks. The MDH person they got agreed it didn't constitute close contact. Also a basketball team was allowed to compete on Day 5, HM's MDH person is saying 7 days. (Keep in mind we have no proof of an actual test or when symptoms actually started. Convenient to say they started just inside the 48 hour window, hmmmm)
4) MSHSL hasn't made any decisions in the other cases people are bringing up. They have stayed out of it saying it was between MDH and the school administration to make the decision. In all cases brought up the school administration didn't allow their team to play based on their schools interpretation of the recommendations. In the 2 cases (basketball team and hockey team- their administrations worked with the MDH and concluded the teams could play)
5) Of Note: Hermantown has a player playing who just got off a plane, didn't do the required MDH quarantine but is playing in the game. So NO the MDH and MSHSL aren't consistent at all
OH YA- and these are NOT laws, they are recommendations. All along they have been recommendations. There is actual game footage where you can watch every single second and count how long every single player was within 6' of the "alleged" positive case. 4 seconds is the maximum amount of time that masked players were within 6' TOTAL for the entire game.
There is so much more, but here is a start on the actual facts of the situation.
Getitright

Post by Getitright »

Rules are rules and mshl is not everyones favorite. In hindsite, knowing what the rule is for COVID quarantine, why did they not make sure the section games were scheduled so the state tourney was in excess of 7 days out? That way, if there was a COVID issue preventing the qualifying team from taking part, blame could be placed solely on that team. Seems to me to have been a no brained.
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

kpryan88 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:35 pm
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:14 pm WCCO TV reporting now that the judge has ruled against the 9 players.
Well, this years’ tourney is a hard pass for me... don’t care at all if this is how the MSHSL is going to act. Garbage way to end a garbage year.
Have a great spring!
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Barring a last-minute miracle, it certainly appears that Hill will not be playing.

Appreciate Wayzata’s willingness to adjust on the fly. Good luck to them and the other remaining teams! Stay safe and enjoy the experience!
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Jacques, thanks for sharing. So the legal challenge did not go anywhere. That leaves MSHSL capitulating, possibly after clarification from MDH after a close look at the information you presented rather than just a blanket edict presented as a guideline.

Barring that, I suppose a one in a million executive order from the governor.
Be kind. Rewind.
kpryan88

Post by kpryan88 »

BobSaget wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:46 pm
kpryan88 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:35 pm
Have a great spring!
I will, let’s go baseball!
East Side Pioneer Guy

sparty wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:21 pm Rules are rules, ninjas. :lol:
Old Blue Eyes was right. Some people get their kicks stompin on a dream.

Sad, really.
Hockey Is For Everyone
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:53 pm
thestickler07 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:16 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:52 pm If you didn't have reason to root against Hill Murray before today.... :P
This whole episode has made me like HM a lot more - the MSHSL are a bunch of bums for trying to keep them out.
#-o
I hope the High School League is paying you well to carry water for them. :lol: