Section 3A

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

dangle snipe n' celly

Re: Section 3A

Post by dangle snipe n' celly »

Grocery_Stick wrote:
Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:Marshall 4 New Ulm 3

The Tigers pull out a huge road win. They were out shot 2 to 1 in this game but find a way to win. Huge win for Marshall they are very quickly locking up the #1 seed in Section 3A. Marshall is the early favorite to get the X. If they can beat beat Litch they will have passed every test.

Other Scores:
Waseca 7 Fairmont 5

Worthington 5 Windom 5 OT: Wow dont sleep on the Trojans anymore!!
dont start handing seeds out yet, its still early in the season and anything can happen. 3 of the big 4 are still finding their core d-men and goalies, by the end of the season i would say the whole section could be flipped.
Yes they are still trying to find them but the thing Marshall has already done is find those core d-men and goalie. Marshall is a step ahead of everyone else. And that's why they are doing so good. Even once those other teams find those people Marshall will be one steo ahead because they had them to start the season
webdesignclass2011

Post by webdesignclass2011 »

marshall is playing good hockey right now. still not playing their best yet, should be fun watching them getting better game after game. look out for them to take the section if they keep it up.
WarriorXL

Post by WarriorXL »

I think Marshall is an average team that makes the most out of their oppertunities. Last night getting outshot 41-22. I have no idea how their goalie saved all those shots. He didnt look very good. Doesnt move well and lets up some big rebounds. New Ulm outplayed them in every category besides the most important thing and that was scoring. New Ulm will deffinatley be there in the end. They have a lot of talent and to much firepower. The d zone didnt look to bad and i thought kraus looked good in goal. Wasnt tested a lot. These guys just need to get on a roll and get some confidence in them.

I think someone earlier said that marshall lost nathan schaffer who took a lot of dumb penalties well looks like it runs in the family with nolan schaffer taking a dumb penalty after scoring.

Heres the new ulm newspapers take on the game...
http://nujournal.com/page/content.detai ... l?nav=5013
dangle snipe n' celly

Post by dangle snipe n' celly »

WarriorXL wrote:I think Marshall is an average team that makes the most out of their oppertunities. Last night getting outshot 41-22. I have no idea how their goalie saved all those shots. He didnt look very good. Doesnt move well and lets up some big rebounds. New Ulm outplayed them in every category besides the most important thing and that was scoring. New Ulm will deffinatley be there in the end. They have a lot of talent and to much firepower. The d zone didnt look to bad and i thought kraus looked good in goal. Wasnt tested a lot. These guys just need to get on a roll and get some confidence in them.

I think someone earlier said that marshall lost nathan schaffer who took a lot of dumb penalties well looks like it runs in the family with nolan schaffer taking a dumb penalty after scoring.

the article is an absolute joke. half the stuff isn't even right. new ulm didn't dominate the game. marshall just had a lot of penalties and thats why the shot total was so different. otherwise its a good game and even. marshall did kill off every penalty. marshall has a great defensive core and even if the goalie looks shaky 37 saves is 37 saves and looks even better vs new ulm. i don't think people on here are giving him enough credit because he is getting the job done for marshall.
Bettman's Bender

Post by Bettman's Bender »

dangle snipe n' celly wrote:
WarriorXL wrote:I think Marshall is an average team that makes the most out of their oppertunities. Last night getting outshot 41-22. I have no idea how their goalie saved all those shots. He didnt look very good. Doesnt move well and lets up some big rebounds. New Ulm outplayed them in every category besides the most important thing and that was scoring. New Ulm will deffinatley be there in the end. They have a lot of talent and to much firepower. The d zone didnt look to bad and i thought kraus looked good in goal. Wasnt tested a lot. These guys just need to get on a roll and get some confidence in them.

the article is an absolute joke. half the stuff isn't even right. new ulm didn't dominate the game. marshall just had a lot of penalties and thats why the shot total was so different. otherwise its a good game and even. marshall did kill off every penalty. marshall has a great defensive core and even if the goalie looks shaky 37 saves is 37 saves and looks even better vs new ulm. i don't think people on here are giving him enough credit because he is getting the job done for marshall.
Dangle snipe and celly. You check this board way too often. Do your chemistry homework. I'll stick up for M-town, don't worry about it.

Marshall is a defensively solid team.... relative to the skill of THIS section... Defensively solid and opportunistic..... If anyone didnt notice that is how the MN Wild are winning right now. Working pretty well for them right now.

Goaltending is a ? for every team in this section.

Marshall's goaltending is "Tebow-esque" .... doesnt make sense. Probably shouldn't win but so far puttin up dub's and big numbers. Marshall also has another competent (relatively) goaltender as well coming back from injury. Give them the edge for goaltending in this section for now. for what that is worth.

New Ulm obviously is having issues in net. I'd say Kraus will end up taking the majority of the starts this year. Get the young kid some confidence, even so still a weak spot.

Litch had weak tendies last year and they graduated both... Im not sure what they are left with but it cant be anything too impressive. Although they did beat Willmar so tender must be good enough to get the job done.

Hutch will come around. Nothing like what they are used to (Johnson and Swenson)

Luverne. Kendall Meyer. seemed solid for a young kid last year. Not good but there is potential. Small kid. that works against him.
owntheice1

Post by owntheice1 »

Will someone please explain how the marshall goalie "fights the puck" and is "shaky" i'm pretty sure he is in the top ten in state right now. If marshalls goalie is not good then how can he put up big numbers against good teams like new ulm and hutch? New Ulm. 37 saves is 37 saves that doesnt happen by accident.
Section 3A HockeyScout

Mason Campion

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

Wow the young marshall tender is getting alot of pub on here..... I love that his brother literally compared him to Tim Tebow. The kid is off to a great start and so is Marshall. Give him credit.

However anyone who has watched him would say he struggles with puck control rebounds flying everywhere and seems very shaky at times. Right now he is getting the job done and has a great defense in front of him protecting all those juicy rebounds he leaves out.

He is only a sophomore and will only get better. Would I ever compare him to Tim Tebow's athletic ability no but then again he is not my brother. Give him credit though Marshall is my pick to the X now.

Scores in Section 3A from Friday Night:
Prairie Center 4 LDC 3 .... Wow with the Big 3 struggling and no one after Marshall looking even really having a chance...

The pressure is on now this really could be the YEAR OF THE TIGERS in 3A
hutchtostate

Post by hutchtostate »

The "big three" will only improve. Hutch and New Ulm play tougher schedules and that will help them in the end. Hutch came off a tough night when they played the other Tigers. New Ulm has more fire power than Marshall. Marshall spends way too much time undisciplined and in the penalty box. Hutch has some great players - Cowger one of the best in the section. New Ulm as the fire power and solid play - BP one of the best in the section. Marshalls only talent comes in the goalies other brother - the defenseman. Best kid on the ice hands down for Marshall. I don't see much else there. Goalie issues will be a problem for all the top teams in the section. Burgau, Noble, Campion, Swenson - all the good goalies are gone.
hatersgonnahate30

Section 3A

Post by hatersgonnahate30 »

Marshall is doing really good right now! but I think windom will come through later in the season and dominate the section.
SweetBabyRay

Post by SweetBabyRay »

hmmm..considering windom tied worthington haha

Good luck :lol:
Section 3A HockeyScout

Section 3A Rankings

Greetings Fellow 3A Followers,

Well we are two weeks in to games and I read an interesting article quoting Ken Pauly here….

A Hockey Mantra: What Happens In December Stays In December
Posted by John Millea (jmillea@mshsl.org) - Updated 12/9/2011 10:52:46 AM
It was early in the 1998-99 boys hockey season and Ken Pauly was not in a great mood after a loss to Red Wing. The Benilde-St. Margaret’s coach was having a postgame dinner with hockey icon Herb Brooks and was admittedly “all bummed out.”

“Herb said, ‘Kenny, it’s the best thing because you still have their attention.’ And he was right about that. With high school kids, you have to keep their attention.”

Pauly relayed that story Thursday evening while standing outside the visitors locker room at the Burnsville Ice Center. Once again, he had his players’ attention after a 5-1 loss to the Burnsville Blaze. If you take stock in rankings this was an upset; Benilde-St. Margaret’s is No. 2 in Class 2A and Burnsville is No. 9, according to Let’s Play Hockey.

Burnsville has also defeated No. 6 Hill-Murray while losing to No. 3 Minnetonka. Benilde-St. Margaret’s beat Hill-Murray and unranked St. Cloud Tech prior to Thursday’s loss. But before jumping to conclusions about any of this, think about two things...

The first thing: State champions won’t be crowned until March. In other words, the season is young. Very young.

The second thing: Class 2A hockey is up for grabs.

In other words, what happens in December stays in December. What matters most will happen in February and March. And there’s plenty of hockey to be played between now and then.

I think that really cover what December hockey results are all about. Right some teams have come together more quickly than others. Of the Big Four Marshall is the lead dog will be interesting to see what happens as the year continues.

Section 3A Power Rankings (12/11/11)
1. Marshall (5-0-0)
2. Hutchinson (2-2-0)
3. New Ulm Area (2-3-0)
4. L-D-C (3-1-0)
5. Luverne (2-1-0)
6. Windom (2-2-1)
7. Redwood Valley (1-5-0)
8. Worthington (0-4-1)
9. Fairmont (0-3-0)

Section 3A Notes:
- Marshall continues its hot start not only are they (5-0) but all 5 wins have come against Section 3A teams. As I stated earlier this could be the Year of the Tigers….
- Hutchinson is a very puzzling team right now play great against Shakopee but then forget to show up against Willmar early season issues.
- Big win for New Ulm Area over Northfield shows they are still a very dangerous team.
- Talk about puzzling losses LDC goes down to Praire Center?????
- Luverne looks like it could be the early contender for best of the rest ….
- Windom what happened against the Trojans….
- Redwood Valley could be dangerous later in the year
- Worthington moves up a spot in the rankings Big Tie with Windom
- Fairmont still searching for their first win…

Well that’s how I see it lets see others rankings !!
webdesignclass2011

Post by webdesignclass2011 »

marshall right now is in the best spot with their big wins against Hutch and New ulm (on the road) and will play a LDC very soon.
Section 3A HockeyScout

New Ulm vs Hutch

New Ulm plays Hutch tomorrow night. I will be there expecting a great game. Who do people think wins this game?
east hockey
Site Admin

Re: Mason Campion

Post by east hockey »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:Wow the young marshall tender is getting alot of pub on here..... I love that his brother literally compared him to Tim Tebow. The kid is off to a great start and so is Marshall. Give him credit.

However anyone who has watched him would say he struggles with puck control rebounds flying everywhere and seems very shaky at times. Right now he is getting the job done and has a great defense in front of him protecting all those juicy rebounds he leaves out.

He is only a sophomore and will only get better. Would I ever compare him to Tim Tebow's athletic ability no but then again he is not my brother. Give him credit though Marshall is my pick to the X now.

Scores in Section 3A from Friday Night:
Prairie Center 4 LDC 3 .... Wow with the Big 3 struggling and no one after Marshall looking even really having a chance...

The pressure is on now this really could be the YEAR OF THE TIGERS in 3A
You don't know the half of it. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Sheetice

Re: New Ulm vs Hutch

Post by Sheetice »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:New Ulm plays Hutch tomorrow night. I will be there expecting a great game. Who do people think wins this game?
I think New Ulm will win, just not sure how good the goalie really is he wasn't tested against Northfield and did ok against Marshall!
(goalie is young and can only get better but still is a ? for New Ulm)
Cujo

Post by Cujo »

Im going to say a close one giving it to new ulm. They're coming off a very important win against Northfield. In the last couple of years these guys have played each other extremely tough. Both have somewhat of the same problems. I dont get it though, people have been saying new ulms defense is so bad but yet their goalie hasnt been tested? against two good teams(marshall,northfield). Obviously they're doing something right. I think the teams with the least mistakes will win the game. I think the x-factor in the game is how well cowger plays. I would compare his role to Impolas of last year. Has to shut down NU's offense tomorrow!

In a non section game tomorrow Marshall heads to Mankato to play the scarlets. Marshall beat them last year when they had the foreign stud. I think if they win that game tomorrow it will convince me that these guys are the true #1. They puzzle me on how they win, but like Bender said it is like tebow. Your just waiting for them to lose but they dont. So im going to jump on the Marshall bandwagon and predicting a 4-2 victory.
timcorbin21

Post by timcorbin21 »

new ulm / hutch should be a fun game to watch. its at the burich so maybe cowgers and hutch have the edge.new ulms getting better though

west and marshall might be fun as well. the game means a lot more to mankato, their not a strong team and marshall should pull it off. marshalls been finding a way to win. but they're not going to get away with letting teams out shoot them.

good luck to redwood, litch may be cranky
letsgowild

Post by letsgowild »

Any score from the Hutch, New Ulm game?
Cujo

Post by Cujo »

Scores from tonight:
LDC 7- Redwood 1
New Ulm 3- Hutch 0

Then the biggest shocker of the night. Mankato West 7- Marshall 0...
Boy was my prediction wrong! Didnt see that one coming at all. Someone care to explain?
Sheetice

Post by Sheetice »

letsgowild wrote:Any score from the Hutch, New Ulm game?
New Ulm wins 3 - 0. New Ulm's goalie had a nice game.
Section 3A HockeyScout

New Ulm Area vs Hutch

New Ulm Area 3 Hutch 0

Fun game to watch last night in Hutch. Really thought that it was an even game back and forth hockey. New Ulm Area was able to get two goals before heading into the third period. That last period belonged to Hutch. However, Sophomore goalie Brock Kraus was up to the challenge. Kraus records the Shutout and it looks like New Ulm Area has found their new goalie to ride for the next 3 years.

Other 3A Scores:
Mankato West beats Marshall 7-0
LDC beats Redwood Valley 7-1
Luverne beats Fairmont 10-0
Section 3A HockeyScout

Nice bounce back win for West last night against Marshall. The Scarlet’s played better and finally starting clicking with the man advantage and scored a few PP goals. The PP has been miserable thus far and that was very nice to see. Fox played much better in the net as well. Even though they won 7-0, they can still play much better. I still believe this team can be dangerous if they can start putting it all together on a night to night basis. Looks like they will have their hands full again Saturday versus JM who has now defeated Mayo and Century.

I am not all surprised by AL beating NP. AL had 2 of its top skaters out against Northfield so if you are looking at the 7-2 score early on, they are much better than that. They skate hard, move the puck well, and obviously are very well disciplined and coached.
I was expecting a much better Marshall team than what I saw last night judging by some scores I had seen with Marshall beating New Ulm, and New Ulm beating Northfield. Marshall did not look very good at all.
Found this on the Section 1A link...

Just an outside the section observation.
Dog_Log17

Post by Dog_Log17 »

As a Scarlet fan and section 1A follower I do not get a chance to see many 3A teams play. I did get a chance to watch Marshall last night in Mankato vs. West. West played a decent game, but by no means were they firing on all cylinders. Marshall did not impress me at all. They skated hard and hustled, I will give them that. But they took a lot of DUMB, penalties and their PK was pathetic. MW's PP has been terrible all year until last night when they were finally able to score a few goals on the PP. The Marshall goalie did not look good either; maybe he had an off night? It's my opinion that Marshall is NOT the #1 seed in 3A this year. I know 3A is typically a weaker section, but I just can’t imagine that 3A is that weak this year. I think the final score was 7-0 West, and the shots were 27-17 West.

I predict that you will see Marshall coming back down to earth, it started last night.
new2coachin

Post by new2coachin »

Bettman.....what happened? I am not making fun of the situation, I was almost going to join the Tiger bandwagon, but after reading about this loss, I'm back to thinking I have it right with where I have Marshall. Hockey Hub has Marshall out shooting Mankato.
Dog_Log17

Post by Dog_Log17 »

I don't know where these shot totals came from? Hockeyhub and followthepuck both have some bad information. I clearly recall the PA announcing the shots were 27-17 in favor Mankato West.

new2coachin wrote:Bettman.....what happened? I am not making fun of the situation, I was almost going to join the Tiger bandwagon, but after reading about this loss, I'm back to thinking I have it right with where I have Marshall. Hockey Hub has Marshall out shooting Mankato.