2023 Section 4AA Playoffs

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

East Side Pioneer Guy

Re: 2023 Section 4AA Playoffs

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:39 pm
inthetwine wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:33 pm Does anyone know how they’re going to handle tickets for the 4 AA playoffs?
https://mshsl4aa.hometownticketing.com/embed/all[*]
Separate sessions for Saturday? How long has that been two tickets?

And, do they clear the restrooms between sessions? (Not that I'm planning anything nefarious.)
Hockey Is For Everyone
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:05 pm
inthetwine wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:33 pm Does anyone know how they’re going to handle tickets for the 4 AA playoffs?

And, do they clear the restrooms between sessions? (Not that I'm planning anything nefarious.)
https://www.amazon.com/Smart-People-Clo ... B07N1TK2C7

Just sayin
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

Always been 2 sessions.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

wbmd wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:51 pm Honestly, I can see any - or even all - of the lower seeds winning Saturday.
That would be pretty cool. Still my favorite state tourney when all the low seeds won (although the East fans would disagree).
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

inthetwine wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:47 pm

Always been 2 sessions.
Used to be different nights and we'd get the 5AA semifinals for the same price. Good news is while MNHockey.tv charged for sections in girls hockey, it came with the subscription to NSPN with no extra charge. Hoping the same for they boys.
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

Sparlimb wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:21 pm
inthetwine wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:47 pm

Always been 2 sessions.
Used to be different nights and we'd get the 5AA semifinals for the same price. Good news is while MNHockey.tv charged for sections in girls hockey, it came with the subscription to NSPN with no extra charge. Hoping the same for they boys.
Saturday is quarterfinals, and it’s always been two sessions at Aldrich
BlueLineSpecial

This would be my guess as to how this section plays out:

White Bear Lake over Tartan
Stillwater over Woodbury
Hill Murray over East Ridge
Roseville over Gentry

White Bear over Roseville
Stillwater over Hill Murray

White Bear over Stillwater

I know, sort of boring since the final is #1 seed v #2 seed. But they're the best two in this section. Hill's inability to score is going to catch up to them. Stillwater's inconsistency will catch up to them. And White Bear has the top line to get the job done.

Or the opposite of this will happen, since there's literally no telling what's going to happen with this section
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

NSPN appears to be streaming the 4 QF games on Saturday for no extra charge (if you already did a season subscription). Going to be some must watch tv from my California couch. Anyone could beat anyone. I'll have the wine open and the games on...
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

I would say the likelihood of a first round upset is, in order from most to least likely.
1. Roseville
2. Woodbury
3. East Ridge
4. Tartan

The difference between the top three teams is not much. Hill was 1-0-1 against WBL and Stillwater, but an overtime win in an outdoor game really doesn't count for much and, while the Pioneers are capable of beating anyone in the section, they are also capable of being shut out by just about anyone. White Bear has probably been the best team in the section over the course of the year, but they are a vulnerable team and they have been known to curl up in the fetal position when they see a green jersey on the other team.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Although I would tend to expect another WBL/HM final in a close game , I frankly would not be shocked if any of the top 4 seeds won the section . I mean Zolezzi stole a game from Chan , so …
East Side Pioneer Guy

I see WB with a 35% chance of winning the section, with Hill and Stillwater both at about 30%. The balance of the section I give a collective 5% chance. It's a stretch to see a team beating 2 of the top 3.

And 5 over 4 qualifies as an upset in only the narrowest of definitions.

At this point, I'd find it amusing if the games played out with the favorites winning (again noting the 4/5 game is a pick 'em). And let's keep our feet on the ground here, these teams are playing for Mariucci.
Hockey Is For Everyone
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

Isn't White Bear always playing for Mariucci?
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

slacsap wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:18 pm Isn't White Bear always playing for Mariucci?
Not sure this year. I think WBL could possibly win a game at state, they are due. But they also could lose to Gentry in the section semis...
East Side Pioneer Guy

White Bear only cares about one thing, every season, and that is beating Hill in Section play. The trip to Mariucci is just a bonus. I'm not sure WB fans even know that hockey is played at the X on Fri and Sat of tournament weekend.

Back in the glory days of the WCHA, the team that won the Final Five tournament would never pick up the championship trophy. The idea was "that's not the trophy we're gunning for, we want a national title". A bit ridiculous to my mind, but I get it. If WB had won the Final Five, they'd have been tripping over each other to parade that trophy around the X.

Foot note: After the BigMistake and NCHC teams left, I saw Mankato win the WCHA tournament. They were more than happy hold trophy.
Hockey Is For Everyone
BlueLineSpecial

For all the 0-19 razzing, and the sometimes contentious back-and-forth I've had with Bears backers over the years, I would root until I was hoarse for the Bears if they were at State. I respect the rivalry, the Bears have a proud hockey history, have produced big names over the years, and they've had all sorts of heartbreak both against Hill and in their State quarterfinal games.

I grew up not far from the Lakeside Club, recently torn down, but made semi-famous in the movie Fargo. I can't drive by there and not think of the line: I'm from Le Sueur, but went to high school at White Bear Lake. Go Bears. . So, go Bears! (except against Hill Murray)
Smooth

Post by Smooth »

I love the rivalry between the neighborhood teams and the "pay to play" teams.
Go Bears, this could be their year. Alot of parity this year.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

WB Mariner did make it to the state final in '82. [shrugs]
I can splash in the rink puddles!
East Side Pioneer Guy

It would not bother me a bit to see WB lose another 1/4 final round game.

I would like to know the final rankings from Hockeyhub/Let's Play Hockey, partly so I can assess the odds of the Bears advancing.
Hockey Is For Everyone
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

Really tired of puffed up Hill Murray BLOWHARDS.
Just saying.
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:33 am For all the 0-19 razzing, and the sometimes contentious back-and-forth I've had with Bears backers over the years, I would root until I was hoarse for the Bears if they were at State. I respect the rivalry, the Bears have a proud hockey history, have produced big names over the years, and they've had all sorts of heartbreak both against Hill and in their State quarterfinal games.

I grew up not far from the Lakeside Club, recently torn down, but made semi-famous in the movie Fargo. I can't drive by there and not think of the line: I'm from Le Sueur, but went to high school at White Bear Lake. Go Bears. . So, go Bears! (except against Hill Murray)
If you grew up close to the Lakeside. That’s Mahtomedi.
East Side Pioneer Guy

SEC Scotty wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:57 pm
BlueLineSpecial wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:33 am For all the 0-19 razzing, and the sometimes contentious back-and-forth I've had with Bears backers over the years, I would root until I was hoarse for the Bears if they were at State. I respect the rivalry, the Bears have a proud hockey history, have produced big names over the years, and they've had all sorts of heartbreak both against Hill and in their State quarterfinal games.

If you grew up close to the Lakeside. That’s Mahtomedi.
Zephyrs are the true blowhards.

Ba-domp-bomp! Thank you! Thank you all! I'll be here all weekend!
Hockey Is For Everyone
Smooth

Post by Smooth »

Espg
Enjoy the view, should be an exciting weekend. Good luck to whoever is playing hill.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Smooth wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:48 am Good luck to whoever is playing hill.
Yes, thank you. This sentiment is rocket fuel for the program.

Of course, it's ok for people to openly admit they feel this way about Hill. But if I express a desire for WB to continue to lose in the first round, why we need to pull out the fainting couches for some folks.
Hockey Is For Everyone
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:01 pm It would not bother me a bit to see WB lose another 1/4 final round game.

I would like to know the final rankings from Hockeyhub/Let's Play Hockey, partly so I can assess the odds of the Bears advancing.
I’ll bet there’s a lot more people who would be happy to see Hill lose in the first round of the quarterfinals.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:54 am
Smooth wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:48 am Good luck to whoever is playing hill.
Yes, thank you. This sentiment is rocket fuel for the program.

Of course, it's ok for people to openly admit they feel this way about Hill. But if I express a desire for WB to continue to lose in the first round, why we need to pull out the fainting couches for some folks.
Well then, its time to revive our favorite WBL Sectional loss of all time. I was at the game and still stands out as the craziest comeback I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Z31jEuEYQ