Section 7AA 2013-2014?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Traxler wrote:I was looking at Elk River's schedule and I see they have 3 postponed games. I don't see anything that indicates that they've been rescheduled, but maybe I didn't look in the right spot. Looks like they need to make up both games of a home and home with Anoka and a game against Benilde. Barring a week with 4 games, I don't see how they can make up all three of those.

Does anyone know if they will play all the postponed games?
Of course, after I typed this I looked at the unreliable hub and found two games against Anoka on their schedule in February. The Benilde game is still listed as postponed there. So, right now they have 7 games in February with one more to schedule. That's a busy month.

Of course, I've always contended that high school kids shouldn't ever get tired. I was never tired when I was in high school.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

The BSM game will not be played.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

alcloseshaver wrote:The BSM game will not be played.
Thanks for that info. I was looking forward to that game to help clarify 7AA seedings. Oh well...
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Makes the Andover game Sat. a big one for ER. They seem to struggle against the Huskies. Loss of Zerban makes them more of a one line team in the scoring dept. They still have Blaine at home and Centennial, need to win at least 2 of these 3 to maintain 1 seed.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Maybe, with how Duluth East played last night I don't know that they're guaranteed to win all their games other than Lakeville North. I think in order for Elk River to lose the 1 seed Duluth East would have to do something to earn it.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

They can always earn it at the seeding meeting per conspiracy theorists...
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

That's a really good point. Randolph's persuasion abilities will give Duluth East the 1 seed.
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

No matter what happens with either East or ER from now on, I think a second win against Blaine would seal top seed for the Elks. If not, a second win against Cent, paired with an East loss to L. North would do it too.

Elks need to make a statement Saturday night against a hot Andover squad. Even without Zerban, ER is better but they have to have the confidence.
Houndhockey

Post by Houndhockey »

alcloseshaver wrote:They can always earn it at the seeding meeting per conspiracy theorists...
I always loved that one :lol:
Houndhockey

Post by Houndhockey »

Bummer Elk River won't be making up that game against BSM. I think most East fans were hoping that the game would be played and BSM would win in order help East's case for #1 seed. That being said, Elk River could have just as easily won that game and further proved their case as the #1 seed. At this point it will take something special for them to lose it. They should at least beat Centennial. Even if they lose to Blaine and East beats Lakeville North (which seems like a long shot after the Lakeville South game) as long as Elk River handles their other business they deserve the #1 seed this year. I am looking forward to these 7AA playoffs this year more than any other year I can remember.
gitter

Post by gitter »

Traxler wrote:That's a really good point. Randolph's persuasion abilities will give Duluth East the 1 seed.
Was there ever a doubt? :lol:
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Houndhockey wrote:Bummer Elk River won't be making up that game against BSM. I think most East fans were hoping that the game would be played and BSM would win in order help East's case for #1 seed. That being said, Elk River could have just as easily won that game and further proved their case as the #1 seed. At this point it will take something special for them to lose it. They should at least beat Centennial. Even if they lose to Blaine and East beats Lakeville North (which seems like a long shot after the Lakeville South game) as long as Elk River handles their other business they deserve the #1 seed this year. I am looking forward to these 7AA playoffs this year more than any other year I can remember.
I agree with you. I think the 3-6 and 4-5 games will be fun to follow and the semis and finals will be very competitive. I wish I could make it up for the semis, but I'm busy that day. :(
Houndhockey

Post by Houndhockey »

Ouch town population Grand Rapids. 3-1 loss tonight to Virginia MIB.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Houndhockey wrote:Ouch town population Grand Rapids. 3-1 loss tonight to Virginia MIB.
If they keep this up they might get the 4.
DE could've "easily" won state the last 5 years.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

If Rapids continues their freefall, they could end up at #5 if Forest Lake and Andover finish strong. Rapids has to beat Moorhead on Saturday to secure their #3 seed. If they lose to Moorhead and Hermantown and now it's possible they could lose to Denfeld it will be one and done in Sectionals.
Coldzone

Rapids and 7A

Post by Coldzone »

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't Rapids be in the 4-5 seed in 7A with Hermantown being 1, Virginia and Marshall both beat Rapids in there last meetings putting them at 4 and they have to play Denfeld yet. I know there are other games during the year but I'm just using head to head. 7A is very strong at the top. In fact I'm not sure that Rapids comes out of 7A. Hmmm no argument if you are going to look at ER as a big win where do you put the Marshall and Virginia losses? Hmmmmmm
TennJed

Post by TennJed »

Coldzone....is that a "hypothetical" if Rapids were in 7A? As they compete in 7AA. Virginia,Hermantown, and Denfeld do not.
MTStringer

Re: Rapids and 7A

Post by MTStringer »

Coldzone wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't Rapids be in the 4-5 seed in 7A with Hermantown being 1, Virginia and Marshall both beat Rapids in there last meetings putting them at 4 and they have to play Denfeld yet. I know there are other games during the year but I'm just using head to head. 7A is very strong at the top. In fact I'm not sure that Rapids comes out of 7A. Hmmm no argument if you are going to look at ER as a big win where do you put the Marshall and Virginia losses? Hmmmmmm
I wouldn't read too much into it. Tip your hat to Virginia, they deserved to win, just as GR deserved to win when they beat Virginia 6-1 the first time, and when GR beat Warroad 5-3, and when Warroad beat Marshall last night. You can't take anything away from any of these kids when they win.

All this talk of seeding makes me chuckle. At the end of the day...the team playing the best hockey makes it out of their section, regardless of where they are seeded. To be the best, you have to beat the best, whether its in the first second, third or final round.
TheInsider

Post by TheInsider »

If Elk River beats Centennial and Andover, they secure the #1 seed. But if they drop one of those games and Duluth East beats Lakeville North.. Their in trouble.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Traxler wrote:I think the seeding as of today is still:

1. Elk River
2. Duluth East
3. Grand Rapids
4. Forest Lake
5. Andover
6. Cloquet
7. St. Michael-Albertville
8. St. Francis
9. Cambridge-Isanti

I think it would take Elk River losing a few more games and East beating Lakeville North to change the top two. I think Grand Rapids is a lock at 3 unless they lose to someone other than Moorhead and Hermantown. And the rest are probably set too barring an amazing finish to the season by Andover.
Grand Rapids is fading fast and it's looking like DE will probably end up with the #1 seed with Elk River losing strength because of a selfish move.

I'm feeling a new team representing 7AA this year.

1. Elk River
1. Duluth East
3. Forest Lake
4. Andover
5. Grand Rapids
6. Cloquet
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

And the free fall continues for Rapids.
MTStringer

Post by MTStringer »

Slammer wrote:And the free fall continues for Rapids.
Congrats to Moorhead.

Like I stated earlier...At the end of the day the team playing the best hockey makes it out of their section, regardless of where they are seeded. To be the best, you have to beat the best, whether its in the first second, third or final round, home or away.

I'm not advocating any specific argument about where any team should be seeded, but I do think too much can be made of the seeding.
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

Andover is putting the boots to Elk River ahead 3 0 after first. Sadly, Andover only has 6 shots...Berglove needs to get going.
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

Elk River 2
Andover 5
Final

Shots 28 16 ER

Elks controlled play almost completely during even strength, but couldn't get them to go in. Very poor night for Berglove, allowing 5 goals over only 16 shots.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

sanryam wrote:Elk River 2
Andover 5
Final

Shots 28 16 ER

Elks controlled play almost completely during even strength, but couldn't get them to go in. Very poor night for Berglove, allowing 5 goals over only 16 shots.
Possibly could've given East the one seed with this loss.