What's the point?

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

xk1

Re: EP

Post by xk1 »

Looking at last years Sports Huddle<br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://startribune.sportshuddle.com/Fan ... <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br><br>I see SSP defeated Tartan twice, each time the score was 16-0. They also defeated Mahamedi 14-0. Is Sports Huddle wrong?<br>As I pointed out earlier, read the posts from last November, many offered constructive criticism without name calling. Read the forum rules...<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>2. No negative attacks or name calling.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> <p></p><i></i>
mnhockeygal

Re: EP

Post by mnhockeygal »

I am renaming this thread from "Whats the point" to "Thanks for making my point for me".<br><br>Yes, please, everyone go to the above link. Let me summarize just a few things you will discover in looking at the Sportshuddle link:<br><br>1. Tartan getting beat 14-0 in both games thru 2 periods. Dave Palmquist, in a rage, screams at his team for only scoring 2 TD's and demands more in the 3rd period. Unfortunately, it backfires and despite his attempts to run up the score, they only muster a safety both times to finish 16-0. Yep, really running up the score.<br><br>2. SSP dressed 19 skaters in all 3 games. It was a very odd thing to do to dress 4 lines when everyone knows SSP only plays 2 lines!!!<br><br>3. SSP scored 9 or more goals 8 times. In those 8 games they scored 98 goals. 82 goals were scored in 1st 2 periods, creating an average of 10 goals scored in 1st 2 periods. Fairly interesting stuff when you discover 16 goals in those 8 games were scored in 3rd period. An average of 2 goals each 3rd period. Maybe the first line was just so tired from scoring so much they couldnt muster anymore? Or maybe they just werent playing.<br><br>FORUM RULE 47:<br><br>When adding statistical information have it be relevent to your point, not to the point of the person your trying to refute. <br><br>P.S. EP vs Kennedy this year, thru 2 periods 8-0 and 9-0 in both games. Games ended 14-0 and 15-0. <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>12 goals scored in 3rd period in 2 games</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END-->. Impressive!!! <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... ckeygal</A> at: 1/14/06 4:02 pm<br></i>
hubbaa

ep..

Post by hubbaa »

mnhockey,<br><br>i was going to look up those stats but didn't. it was normal for ssp to have the opponents on running time beginning the third period several times throughout the course of a year. essentially to play only two periods had to be frustrating for the players at times as for some fans. at least when you watch them now you're almost guarenteed to see a fairly close game. <br><br> <p></p><i></i>
xk1

Re: ep..

Post by xk1 »

I never attempted to defend EP or attack SSP, only provide the details of what happened under similar circumstances. Hubba stated <!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>when they played tartan when everyone beat them by at least 15 goals ssp usually wouldn't.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--> this refutes that statement as well. <br><br>As MNHOCKEYGAL points out, SSP appeared to handle the situation in the third period very well. The point is about attacks and name calling, one could have looked up the scores and presented them, instead the EP program and coaches were attacked. We all need to try to make our point in a more constructive manner. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... xk1>xk1</A> at: 1/14/06 7:30 pm<br></i>
blankpaper1234

Post by blankpaper1234 »

Here's my personal opinion being a girls hs hockey player.<br>To go into double digits on a team is unclassy, unless its like a tournament championship game, or a section game, where it actually means something. Our program never goes above a 9 goal difference on a team there's no point.(sometimes accidents do happen, where you put it near the net and somehow it goes it..) Neither team gains anything by beating a team by 15 goals. Its completely unnessecary. When you're up, pass instead of shoot. You get an amazing new look on the ice, because now it all opens up, way more then you would've ever believed.<br><br> <p></p><i></i>
mnhockeygal

Re: ep..

Post by mnhockeygal »

Attacked? Please. The EP coaches were and should be called out for their shameless behavior. Intentionally running up the score against a terrible team is something that should never be tolerated. <p></p><i></i>
dublrunr

If you are serious about stopping run ups...

Post by dublrunr »

Then remove the incentive to do so.<br><br>In other venues they use a maximum differential rule...typically 3. Nothing magical about 3; it is just what I have seen used.<br><br>A 17-3 pasting is reported as 6-3 by MSHSL. The losing team can report all their stats, but the winning team can only report those stats within the differential. This discourages those few (players or coaches) who wish to pad stats at the expense of a weaker team.<br><br>Only the reported stats are used for MSHSL seeding, awards, etc.<br><br>Perhaps it is no surprise but the most vocal and vehement opposition to maximum differential does not come from players or coaches, but from parents. Of course, the media will report the actual score, but there is no other incentive for a team to run up a score.<br><br>If you want to change the behavior, stop rewarding it. <p></p><i></i>
Rocketwrister

Not EP but Silver Bay...

Post by Rocketwrister »

Ok, this reply isn't about EP; but it deals with running up scores. Look at what Silver Bay did vs. Babbitt on Thursday 1/12/06. 18-2 score....Silver Bay's top 2 lines were still on the ice as one of there starters/2nd liners (rotates between the 2 lines) scored the 17th goal of the game in the 3rd period. <br><br>You can NOT tell me that this wasn't on purpose....having one of your "big guns" scoring your 17th goal of the game.....I believe she ended up with 4 goals for the night. Why wouldn't you just run 3rd and 4th lines....and yes the team did have more then just it's top 2 lines suited.<br><br>It's a shame/disgrace to see a score like that; especially when you still have your top players on the ice. I personally do not agree with running up a score by 16 goals....the only thing the team and coach is doing is padding stats which is totally tasteless! <p></p><i></i>
mnhockeygal

Re: Not EP but Silver Bay...

Post by mnhockeygal »

Exactly. And something tells me Silver Bay has been on the wrong end of a score like that sometime in the past which makes it more inexcusable. No place for it, and really teaches the kids a great lesson. The huge irony is, the situation presents a great learning opportunity a coach could take advantage to teach sportsmanship and class and yet sometimes the complete opposite is done. Makes no sense. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p100.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... ckeygal</A> at: 1/15/06 5:40 pm<br></i>