Gophs-BC

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SEMinnHockeyNut

Post by SEMinnHockeyNut »

Ref appeared to be at a bad angle and not really seeing the net.

Not if you watched the replay - he was right where he should be, below the goal line looking right at it. I have no idea how he missed it.
It may have given the Gophers a chance had they got credit right away, but they still have chances after that.

The 4th BC was pathetic...you let a little guy dangle with the puck that long without knocking him down and/or moving your feet? Bad, plain bad.
The Gophers defense stood around like California Redwoods for way too much of the game. And when they didn't do that, they got caught up ice far too often against a team with a great transition game.

As far as BC players and the NHL, some of the little guys might make it like Brian Gionta did, but they will never be allowed that kind of open space in transition. Some of them might end up like Pierre-Marc Brouchard for the Wild - great playmakers, but guys who have to work really hard to win battles along the wall. NHL defensemen clog the middle and rarely let you walk out from the corner like that.

I hope Wheeler stays not only for the Gophers, but also for his developement. He is not NHL ready yet, but his upside is going to be huge. It will be interesting to see if Phoenix covets him since they have such a young team. My guess is that Gretzky tells him to play his senior season and then maybe have a good shot at being a 3rd/4th line guy in 2009-2010.
MAYO SPARTANS!
mainefan

Post by mainefan »

Agree that Wheeler is not ready. Was passed by numerous times, he had no urgency or commitment to the play. Maybe it was just a bad day for him but from what I saw he is not ready for the pros. I have not seen him enough to completely judge this but his skating is not that great. Again maybe it was just a bad day for him.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Wheeler...

Brought this very subject up before and was criticized for my thoughts. He is a good kid and a good player, but he has not developed into a #1 NHL pick at all. I have thought he has regressed over the past year.
He has trouble entering the zone and going to the net all year... major puck control problems, but then again, he was not alone in that category... I think this year was the most I have ever seen a Gopher team dump-n-chase...

Gophers as a team had zero offensive firepower throughout this season, all the talented playmakers and snipers are gone to the NHL early and to graduation, and the young players are just that, young players - Hoeffel, White, Flynn, Barribal, Stoa (hurt)...
Whenever this team got down by two goals this year, one could pretty much shut the game off, they did not have the skill players to make the comeback.
Kangas is a keeper. Defense lacks puck control guy, lacks offensive threat in the O zone, face it, we have been pretty spoiled watching Martin, Leo, Ballard, Golgoloski (sp), and this years bunch had troubles against speed as we just saw in BC...

The Gophers were a bunch of good kids, the effort was there, just have to wait for the young to become older and the incoming talent to be as good as it is billed for the Gophs to turn it around to what we are used to.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

DmanDad1980 wrote:Wheeler...

Brought this very subject up before and was criticized for my thoughts. He is a good kid and a good player, but he has not developed into a #1 NHL pick at all. I have thought he has regressed over the past year.
There are two points I would make on Wheeler.

First, it was never Wheeler's fault that he was drafted #5 overall. Wheeler was rated #17 overall for just North American players in NHL Central Scouting's final North American rankings for the 2004 draft.... and that isn't even including any European/Russian prospects. If you look at it from an NHL Central Scouting standpoint, Wheeler probably should have been a late 1st to early 2nd round pick based on those rankings. But all it takes is one team to select a guy much higher and then suddenly expectations for a good percentage of fans go beyond what was reasonable in the first place.

The second point I would make about your comment on Wheeler "regressing" is this..... Wheeler has been playing out of position because the Gophers have lacked true centers the past few seasons. He did it because the team needed it. Not because it played to his strengths. That was also a part of the problem with Okposo. They played those spots because they were the best options to fill those situations. Lucia already mentioned that if Wheeler came back for his final year (which is unlikely), he would move to wing because the team next season has more natural centers. I don't think Wheeler regressed at all. He simply did his best for the team in a spot he isn't truly fit for in the long run.
Gophers as a team had zero offensive firepower throughout this season, all the talented playmakers and snipers are gone to the NHL early and to graduation, and the young players are just that, young players - Hoeffel, White, Flynn, Barribal, Stoa (hurt)...
Whenever this team got down by two goals this year, one could pretty much shut the game off, they did not have the skill players to make the comeback.
The team has finishers. The problem was they didn't have enough guys out there to set them up and put them in position to use their talents as best as they could. Part of it was the defense lacking some skill as a group (Fairchild and Fischer can provide that but still are a bit young yet) but part of it was the fact that they were missing one or two guys up front that could really set the table. Stoa's early injury made that even worse. Thankfully, some of the guys coming in (as well as Stoa's return) should really help open things up more for the returning guys with their speed, skill, and passing ability.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Well said Gopher.
I am confident the Gophs will be quite a bit more of an offensive team next year.
Combined with the ability they showed this year to keep the other teams from scoring, I am optimistic about the future.
Go Gophers. :)
Reggie

Post by Reggie »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:Well said Gopher.
I am confident the Gophs will be quite a bit more of an offensive team next year.
Combined with the ability they showed this year to keep the other teams from scoring, I am optimistic about the future.
Go Gophers. :)
I also agree, this young team really came together at the end.
pucknstick10

Post by pucknstick10 »

I agree with Gopher Blog about Wheeler playing center instead of the wing. He's at his best when he can just go up and down the wing and use his size to protect the puck. He isn't NHL ready yet but I bet he goes plays the wing in the minors and then makes the jump.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

Sorry guys...

Wheeler as an upperclassman (year 3 is done!) struggled all year w/ the puck. Yes, not his fault for being drafted in 1st rd, but has not been close to attain that status or NHL ready material, center or wing

Kangas was the decided difference for the late season run, looked great, and will be the base for getting better next year. Please remember, in every late season win, did they win big - no; one goal games, did they score many goals - no struggled terribly, they won because of Mr. Kangas.

The D struggled all year as well. Not one upperclassmen took control here. Zero puck control, zero puck movement. The young guys have promise - Fairchild & Bickel. Major upgrade next year in puck movement and control w/ Fairchild one year older and addition of Ness & Lofquist! Can't wait! Good D play has been the catalyst to past Gopher National Championships!

The underclassmen I mentioned in my post will be better next year - Hoeffel, White, Flynn, Barribal, Stoa
The great young recriuts coming in will help more than this years freshman did this year - Ness, Schroeder, Hansen, Lofquist, and more

This team finished 7th in the WCHA. Yes, Kangas led this team back into the Final Five and the NCAA. But look at what team speed did to this team out east. BC killed them, not 2nd period, but that was BC's game.

I also think they will be better, please read my post, not just segments from Gopher Goggles.

I love the Gophs, they have been my favorite team year in year out. I also see good things to come. But in looking at the past year, lets be realistic. And Yes, Go Gophers :!:
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Not sure where anybody is being unrealistic. All I have seen are people who have an optimistic feeling about the combination of the veterans with a good group of new players. :?:

As I said, Wheeler is best suited to play wing. Judging his last two seasons when he has been out of position isn't exactly the optimal way to assess things. His abilities are better suited for wing. Just like Okposo improved his play when he moved back to a wing position, I think Wheeler will do the same. It frees them up to do the things that they do best.

And I have news for you DmanDad, at least one NHL team last year (the Blues) tried very hard to trade for Wheeler. If Wheeler wasn't progressing and developing in their eyes, why would they be trying so hard to trade for him? And why would Phoenix be so intent on keeping him? Probably because they like what they see and project him to continue along that path.

So I guess you'll have to forgive me if I defer to the opinion of NHL people on this one. Maybe those NHL teams wear "Gopher Goggles" too? :lol: :lol: :lol:
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

It is what it is... IMO...

Hear say, blog say, Gopher Blog say...
Blues, Coyotes, whatever, not NHL next year or 2 years from now...
Anyway, not worried about Wheeler, like to see him do well, this was not a good year for many in Maroon & Gold.

Too many 4th line caliber seniors playing on top two lines and playing too many minutes. Early departures over last two years hurt this team terribly, and throw in some suspect recruiting classes to coincide with those leaving early. There was no one else to go to either on this team. Next year will definitely be the start of something better.

Can't wait for next year, put this one in rear view mirror!

Hey, I may go and find my old Gopher Goggles, put em on again :wink: