Is anything fair

bisketboy

Is anything fair

Post by bisketboy »

Is anything fair when your kid doesn't make a team you feel he should. My kid has always been a bubble kid at every<br>level. Sometimes it is hard to watch. Still he knows I support wherever he lands and I try to make his teen years enjoyable<br>by not dwelling on it and encouraging him in every way. I've never interfered with any selection process because I was once a coach and know its difficulties. Hopefully my son will get his someday.I Love The Game So I Just like to watch him play wherever he may land. <p></p><i></i>
r2d2hockey

Re: Is anything fair

Post by r2d2hockey »

I never played but my daughter's do. The older one was in your son's spot, just missed varsity her freshman year (no JV that year) and was one of the last 2 cut. Next two years played JV and got to be on the bench for varsity in the last game only her junior year. Didn't bother trying out as a senior.<br>My nephew was similar to your son too - bubble player for years, went through the h.s. tryouts to no avail. Almost didn't bother with the h.s. team as a senior but tried out and didn't expect to make it. Guess what - he did and he had a good time. So tell your son to keep trying - maybe others who are on the other side of the bubble will fall short or give up and there will be room for him like it was for my nephew. Winners never quit....!<br>Going back to lurk mode,<br>A hockey dad who never played but wishes he could have! <p></p><i></i>
packerboy

Fair

Post by packerboy »

If he should make the team and doesnt then it isnt fair. But it depends on the basis for you saying he should. Is he as good as the players in the middle of the team but still not maing it? If that is the case, I would inquire(to put it mildly)<br><br>However, in my experience, its usually a case of a kid who could have made the team not should have made the team. <br><br>If a team consists of 15 players, in most youth programs of any size, there isnt much difference between 13 and 17. <br><br>So, 17 says " I am just as good as 13 so I should be on the team." Well, the problem with that is #1 What about 16? # 2 If we put 17 on the team and take 15 off, he will have the same complaint. So, when you say "should have", I dont know. <br><br>The other point is that too much emphasis is placed on "making the team". More emphasis ought to be placed on playing and learning. That 15th ranked player who makes the team sometimes doesnt have a very good nor productive season. If he would have made the JV or the B team , he would have a better experience. <br> <p></p><i></i>
bisketboy

I CONCUR

Post by bisketboy »

I agree that playing more at a lower level than not much at the higher level is a good thing. my son has had good coaches and has learned plenty. I always tell him that if he wants to make it to the next level he has to work hard and earn it. Most of the time coaches are making the right choices and it is hard to pick from spots 10 to 15. <p></p><i></i>