R.I.P. Adam Johnson

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Teak

R.I.P. Adam Johnson

Post by Teak »

Just saw the news about former Hibbing star Adam Johnson. He was playing for an English professional team and on Saturday died in what is being called a freak accident. He must have fallen to the ice and an opponent's blade sliced open his neck. This is so tragic. We all followed him during his time at Hibbing and UMD.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/387 ... on-england
Last edited by Teak on Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestMetro

Re: R.I.P. Adam Johnson

Post by WestMetro »

Site in this message is sponsored by a Hibbing family

https://x.com/t__0303_/status/171882995 ... vqsuVEoBFA
Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

Rest in peace, Adam.

Peace and comfort to Adam's family, friends, the other player involved, everyone who was in the arena that night, and the entire hockey community.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Very sad news. Adam carried Hibbing to its most recent Tourney back in 2011 and was a delight to watch.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

I was out of the state when this happened. I wasn't familiar with this fellow, but my sympathies to the families & everyone who witnessed this beyond worst nightmare event.

Brings to mind the tragic passing of Bill Masterson in an on-ice event, too.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Seeing Adam play in HS rekindled my love for HS hockey. He was a fantastic player and you knew you might see something special every time he took the ice. It was great to see him realize his dream of playing in the NHL.

Adam single-handedly almost beat Hermantown at the 2011 tourney. It was an epic performance, especially for a sophomore. Adam was already committed to UMD, and after the game Bruce Plante said, "That kid could play for UMD right now." :lol:

Such a tragic and sad accident. I feel for his family and friends, and wish them all peace as they mourn their loss. :cry:
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

Teak

Post by Teak »

Matt Petgrave has now been arrested and likely will be charged with manslaughter. My initial thought that Adam had fallen to the ice for his neck to get sliced was mistaken. Video shows Petgrave's leg going up in the air after a collision and connecting with Johnson's neck, perhaps as he was leaning over somewhat.

Saw a UMD game a couple of weekends back and was glad to see they had Adam's No. 7 jersey hanging there on the glass behind the bench.

Got to move on, but wonder if they will now take a look at providing neck protectors in the future. That is one vulnerable spot on a body that is otherwise protected fairly well.