BANTAM AA EAST REGION

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

BANTAM AA EAST REGION

Post by elliott70 »

Game 1
1 Elk River
8 Sibley
Cottage Grove Ice Arena - North Rink
FRI FEB 28 @ 3:00pGame 2

4 St. Michael Albertville
5 Woodbury
FRI FEB 28 @ 4:45pGame 3

2 Wayzata
7 Eastview
FRI FEB 28 @ 6:30pGame 4

3 Minnetonka
6 Burnsville
Cottage Grove Ice Arena - North
MWS coach

Re: BANTAM AA EAST REGION

Post by MWS coach »

elliott70 wrote:Game 1
1 Elk River
8 Sibley

5 Woodbury

2 Wayzata
7 Eastview

3 Minnetonka
6 Burnsville
Wayzata #1 Seed
Minnetonka #2 Seed
Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys »

MWS coach wrote:
1 Elk River
8 Sibley

5 Woodbury

2 Wayzata
7 Eastview

3 Minnetonka
6 Burnsville
Wayzata #1 Seed
Minnetonka #2 Seed
Tonka lost to Burnsville and then to Eastview.

ER and Wayzata come out this region.
observer

Post by observer »

Not going to make this note on each post but interesting that teams from the same District end up in different regions. That's new. In theory, and conspiracy theorists probably sorted this out already but, 4 teams from the same District could make it to state.
Hockeykid22

Post by Hockeykid22 »

Tonka only played Eastveiw once, early on in the season and won 7-0.
ThePuckStopsHere

Post by ThePuckStopsHere »

1 Elk River
8 Sibley

5 Woodbury

2 Wayzata
7 Eastview

3 Minnetonka
6 Burnsville
#1 Seed - Wayzata
#2 Seed - STMA

Sorry Elks it appears you peeked at the Blue Ox, everyone has gotten better but your team. :wink:
redtundra

Post by redtundra »

This is by far the easiest of the metro regions. The northern region look fairly weak as well - unless Roseau and Moorhead are better than I think they are. EP is the best team in the state (big and skilled), but really any of the top 10-12 teams could win it this year. Lots of balance - mainly because many of the best kids from PWAA 2 years ago are playing elsewhere.
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

redtundra wrote:This is by far the easiest of the metro regions. The northern region look fairly weak as well - unless Roseau and Moorhead are better than I think they are. EP is the best team in the state (big and skilled), but really any of the top 10-12 teams could win it this year. Lots of balance - mainly because many of the best kids from PWAA 2 years ago are playing elsewhere.
Just curious as to why you say this is the easiest of the metro regions? I think the west is the toughest, then East, then South. Are you saying those ranking didn't get it right, or just the balance of the teams top to bottom? I do agree that EP is #1 which is why they are ranked #1, but at same time, any of several teams could win it all. A hot goalie, kids playing out of their mind when facing elimination. FYI 2 years ago there was no PWAA, it was simply PWA and yes many are no longer in youth hockey, but I don't think this year that many more were lost from Bantam teams then in years past, just saying, every year second yea bantams move on to HS and to a lesser extent, other options.
@hockeytweet

Post by @hockeytweet »

Wayzata, #1 seed
Elk River, #2 seed

Wayzata has improved a ton. Elks not so much, but enough talent to beat either Tonka or STMA
jhpreus123

Post by jhpreus123 »

This Region is going to come down to the depth of Goaltending as ALL of the teams have fire power. Does that change any of the predictions? STMA, ER, Wayzata??

Lots of Great tenders in all of the seedings but who will peak and who will fold to the pressure the repeats or the newbies?
Eagle86

Post by Eagle86 »

jhpreus123 wrote:This Region is going to come down to the depth of Goaltending as ALL of the teams have fire power. Does that change any of the predictions? STMA, ER, Wayzata??

Lots of Great tenders in all of the seedings but who will peak and who will fold to the pressure the repeats or the newbies?
All three of those teams have top end tenders and two of them are considered tops in the state. This is Elk Rivers and Wayzata region to lose with Tonka a potential upset. STMA just is not deep enough this year.
redtundra

Post by redtundra »

MWS coach wrote:
redtundra wrote:This is by far the easiest of the metro regions. The northern region look fairly weak as well - unless Roseau and Moorhead are better than I think they are. EP is the best team in the state (big and skilled), but really any of the top 10-12 teams could win it this year. Lots of balance - mainly because many of the best kids from PWAA 2 years ago are playing elsewhere.
Just curious as to why you say this is the easiest of the metro regions? I think the west is the toughest, then East, then South. Are you saying those ranking didn't get it right, or just the balance of the teams top to bottom? I do agree that EP is #1 which is why they are ranked #1, but at same time, any of several teams could win it all. A hot goalie, kids playing out of their mind when facing elimination. FYI 2 years ago there was no PWAA, it was simply PWA and yes many are no longer in youth hockey, but I don't think this year that many more were lost from Bantam teams then in years past, just saying, every year second yea bantams move on to HS and to a lesser extent, other options.
I guess because when you look at the top 4, I don't see the depth of the others. I think Elk is the most beatable of the top 3 teams in the state. I think when you look at the #2 teams, Prior Lake and LVS are better than Wayzata (except in the nets). The # 3 seeds all look comparable. And STMA looks to be the weakest of the #4 seeds. #5-8 in each bracket are a toss-up. You're right, there was only PWA 2 years ago - but for simplicity I called it PWAA. As far as 2nd year Bantams leaving, I don't think we've ever seen the exodus in years past quite like this year that has really evened the playing field. Certainly kids have left, but when you look at this year, I think it really hurt the top teams - except EP who stayed pretty much in tact. PL loses Reedy and Fellows. OMG loses Kelly and Huff. LVS loses Enebek and Pratt. Those were arguably the top 3 teams 2 years ago. That's a big shift in power.
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

redtundra wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
I guess because when you look at the top 4, I don't see the depth of the others. I think Elk is the most beatable of the top 3 teams in the state. I think when you look at the #2 teams, Prior Lake and LVS are better than Wayzata (except in the nets). The # 3 seeds all look comparable. And STMA looks to be the weakest of the #4 seeds. #5-8 in each bracket are a toss-up. You're right, there was only PWA 2 years ago - but for simplicity I called it PWAA. As far as 2nd year Bantams leaving, I don't think we've ever seen the exodus in years past quite like this year that has really evened the playing field. Certainly kids have left, but when you look at this year, I think it really hurt the top teams - except EP who stayed pretty much in tact. PL loses Reedy and Fellows. OMG loses Kelly and Huff. LVS loses Enebek and Pratt. Those were arguably the top 3 teams 2 years ago. That's a big shift in power.
Makes sense, I like you analogy and agree with you on the strength of teams, I guess part of why I consider East to be a little stronger, or more difficult to win is you have two goalies from Wayzata and STMA that could easily end up stealing a game from a stronger skating team.

As far as the loss of players, what I think is different this year, is look at the teams you mention, they not only lost one top player, but two. Not convinced those three were top three, but were certainly right up at the top and played in PWA state tournament two years ago. What is also interesting is the three top teams didn't lose anyone that I am aware of, two, EP and ER battled it out in the PWA state third place game. Stillwater was not at state, but were still a top 10 team that didn't lose anyone (different district allignment and they might have made state).

That is a big shift in power, but I think it has made for less top end competetive teams.

Thanks for the explanation.
Survey

Post by Survey »

The STMA goalie can definitely steal a game. I believe last years 3rd place game was them vs Wayzata and it took Wayzata 4 periods to finally put one by him.

Doesn't Wayzata have two decent goaltenders this year? Or does one play more than the other?

I'm looking forward to watching the South Regions at PIC...should be a great battle for all teams there.
jhpreus123

Post by jhpreus123 »

Scott at STMA is arguably the top (remember he is a 2000) and with that STMA picked up a solid back-up tender with a late season move from another Association. The dynamic of the net for STMA has changed in so you now have a team that can be assured that they are in good hands in the net which will let them play with confidence. IFyou look EVERY YEAR there are upsets and surprises as we all know so it is anoyones tournament to lose. Strong or weak it will take a total effort to get it done for someone to take it all.
gorilla1

Post by gorilla1 »

Keep in mind EP was one of the few teams not to lose any players to high school in D6. PL lost 2, Edina lost 4, CC lost 4, etc... It makes a big difference to these teams. I have no argument with EP being ranked 1. They have the one big line that is big and skilled but not particularly fast. I think teams like Edina, Stillwater and Elk River have deeper teams, but teams struggle with EPs size with that first line. If a team figures out how to stop the first line and then skates the second and third, things could get a little interesting in that bracket.
Danglermove1

Post by Danglermove1 »

To say EP lost no one is not telling their whole story. They lost 3 kids to Holy Family HS and 1 to Edina Bantams from their team 2 yrs ago including the yhh player of the year
Clarkkent

Post by Clarkkent »

Who did EP lose to Edina?
gorilla1

Post by gorilla1 »

Clark, he said from two years ago. But I don't think he's right. One player moved to Victoria and played for Chaska youth hockey so that doesn't count . I only know of the goalie lost from the PW years to HF, who is a very good goalie. There are no other freshmen playing for HF from EP. Who is the Edina player?
Danglermove1

Post by Danglermove1 »

Your premise was they didn't lose anybody but they lost them last yearto HS or CC. JM went to cc. DR is goalie. MR is HF and MR is on Edina BA
puckfan

Post by puckfan »

But to get an out of state move in............
Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys »

Survey wrote:The STMA goalie can definitely steal a game. I believe last years 3rd place game was them vs Wayzata and it took Wayzata 4 periods to finally put one by him.

Doesn't Wayzata have two decent goaltenders this year? Or does one play more than the other?

I'm looking forward to watching the South Regions at PIC...should be a great battle for all teams there.
Steal a game? ... hmmm ... 3 goals on like 5-6 shots against Woodbury. An average goalie would have won the game today for STMA IMO. But you folks know the kid better of course.
Survey

Post by Survey »

Mnhockeys wrote:
Survey wrote:The STMA goalie can definitely steal a game. I believe last years 3rd place game was them vs Wayzata and it took Wayzata 4 periods to finally put one by him.

Steal a game? ... hmmm ... 3 goals on like 5-6 shots against Woodbury. An average goalie would have won the game today for STMA IMO. But you folks know the kid better of course.
"Can" I think is the word you are missing. You do realize these are 14 and 15 year old kids. Doesn't mean they are going to do it every game. But than I'll leave that up to you.
Mnhockeys

Post by Mnhockeys »

Survey wrote:
Mnhockeys wrote:

"Can" I think is the word you are missing. You do realize these are 14 and 15 year old kids. Doesn't mean they are going to do it every game. But than I'll leave that up to you.
Say all you can and know you used "can", "arguably" or better than everyone else etc etc, but he had A miserable game.

When someone makes that kind of claim about him, to the rest of us it appears implied that 1) STMA does not have a good skating team to deserve to win; 2) most other goalies in the league are inferior to him. But the reality of the Woodbury game is that STMA skaters skated really well but their goalie gave out at least 3 softies so they lost.
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

Mnhockeys wrote:
Survey wrote:
Mnhockeys wrote: Steal a game? ... hmmm ... 3 goals on like 5-6 shots against Woodbury. An average goalie would have won the game today for STMA IMO. But you folks know the kid better of course.
Say all you can and know you used "can", "arguably" or better than everyone else etc etc, but he had A miserable game.

When someone makes that kind of claim about him, to the rest of us it appears implied that 1) STMA does not have a good skating team to deserve to win; 2) most other goalies in the league are inferior to him. But the reality of the Woodbury game is that STMA skaters skated really well but their goalie gave out at least 3 softies so they lost.
Couple of thoughts...

1st by no means in my opinion is he the "best" goalie, clearly some of the other goalies in bantams are much better, even those playing in East Region.To be the best, you have to play big in big games like regions, no matter if you are 14 or 15. Very good, yes, but over rated if you think he is the best.

Face it, he had a tough game and if he plays out of his mind, maybe just maybe he could steal a game... They lost a game they should of won (based upon rankings), my point was if hot in a game against a higher ranked team (ER, Wayzata, MTKA) he could be the difference maker in a tight game, but have to win the games you should win first....