Favorite Rivalry Moments

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Cadets16

Favorite Rivalry Moments

Post by Cadets16 »

Just thought it would be fun to share some of your favorite rivalry moments between fans or players or both.

One of my favorite hails from a state final between STA (shocker, right? :wink: ) and Hermantown. A few state finals back, the Hermantown mascot decided to take a stroll down to the STA student section. In true Cadet fashion, the head of the mascot was taken off and played around with like a beach ball. I say it was her fault for even going towards the opponent's student section.

What are some of yours?
blueblood

Rivalry moments

Post by blueblood »

As a former Elk River player:

Playing at Brainerd. Kicking their @$$, Brainerd fans wanting to fight our cheerleaders, and having their fans rock our bus on the way out of the parking lot. Some things never change.

Playing St. Cloud Apollo in the MAC. Always a great game.

As a fan:

Tonka vs Edina at the Met
tickitembo1

Post by tickitembo1 »

Kennedy finally beating Jefferson this year after losing for 14 straight years. The look on the Jeffersons fans walking out was priceless :lol:
hockeymachine

Post by hockeymachine »

Hill-WBL 2011 overtime win for the Bears.
Awesome way to break the winless streak for WBL.
That group of seniors would not be denied.
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

You could probably find ten or twelve great moments just from the Hill-WBL rivalry, regardless of which team you were cheering for. Just a few off the top of my head (and in no particular order)
WBL winning in 2OT in 2011 after blowing a 3 goal lead in the third period.
HM winning in 2OT in 2006 after WBL rallied with four straight goals in the second period to go up 4-3, only to have Hill tie it in the third period.
WBL upsetting what might have been Hill's most talented team ever in 1996(?) (Not entirely sure that's the right year)
HM rallying from 3-0 down to beat the Brian Bonin led Bears in 1991 and then going on to win the state title

And, in a different rivalry, Hill-Murray's 6-5 win in 2OT over Johnson in 1992 in what was probably the most entertaining high school game I've ever seen.
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

GR vs ER at sectionals last year. 1-0 ER and GR pulls their goalie and almost gets scored on immediately. Instead #8 scores to take it to 2 OTs, where he scores again for the GR victory! Wasn't affiliated or even that familiar with these teams and happened to be in town. GR celly pretty awesome. I've gone out to watch GR a few times this year just because of that game and that player.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

2000 6AA final at Mariucci: EP fans chanting "Season's Over" only for Edina to score with 4 seconds left to send the game to OT. After Edina bagged the winner in the 4th OT, the entire arena (including Jefferson & Holy Angels fans waiting for hours for their game) chanted "Season's Over."

Still a fan of 2009 6AA final when EP scored to make it 4-1 over Tonka and EP students started chanting "Your ship's sinking!" Thought it was kind of clever.

Am still waiting for someone to chant at Breck during the state tournament "Grandpa's Money," aimed at insulting both the Breck students and their parents....
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

In honor of East-Cloquet tonight, I'll pull out a few memories. This rivalry is down a little bit right now since Cloquet hasn't won since 2008, but it's been incredible over the years. East has an 11-9 playoff edge, and an incredible number of them have been 1-goal edge. The top five of the past 25 years, in chronological order:

1991: Rusty Fitzgerald scores in OT to send East back to State for the first time in 16 years.
1994: East is the clear favorite in the section, but the two-time defending champ Jacks beat them twice during the regular season. During the game in the old Cloquet barn, they have a fight for the ages, with Cloquet fans throwing punches at East players over the low glass. They meet in the section final, and East wins 2-0 to start their 5-year run of greatness.
2002: As he'd done the year before, Cloquet goalie Josh Johnson shuts down the Hounds in the playoffs, this time in a 1-0 final that wrecks the season for a very strong East senior class. Cloquet's goal was a shorty late in the 3rd; it's East's only section final loss to date under Randolph.
2005: For once, Cloquet is the favorite, and controls play through most of the section final. But East hangs in there, ties it in the 3rd, and wins it in double OT on the first and only goal of senior defenseman Kyle Michela's career.
2008: Cloquet defenseman David Brown scores 4 times in a semifinal upset. Cloquet went up 4-2 early but East came back to take a 5-4 lead by the middle of the third before Brown struck twice more, getting the game-winner with 12 seconds left in regulation. That was Cloquet's most recent win over East.

Best chants from each team:
Cloquet, circa 2006: "Can't buy talent."
East: a rousing rendition of "The wheels on your house go round and round." Though I am also partial to "Hooked on phonics."
There are many others that I will not print here.
Houndhockey

Post by Houndhockey »

East vs Grand Rapids has lately been my favorite rivalry game. Not because the series has gone back and forth, in fact it really hasn't of late with East winning the last I don't even know how many games. Each game though, minus this years tilt has been so tightly played with each team looking like they could win. My favorite though has to be the 2011 section final game at Amsoil Arena. GR led 1-0 late into the 3rd period on a goal by Patrick Moore. Meirs Moore tied the game with just 1:30 left, and then he assisted on Trevor Olson's game winner, just 26 seconds into OT. I have never heard Amsoil as loud when East tied the game late, it was definitely a great moment in their rivalry.
Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 »

Houndhockey wrote:East vs Grand Rapids has lately been my favorite rivalry game. Not because the series has gone back and forth, in fact it really hasn't of late with East winning the last I don't even know how many games. Each game though, minus this years tilt has been so tightly played with each team looking like they could win. My favorite though has to be the 2011 section final game at Amsoil Arena. GR led 1-0 late into the 3rd period on a goal by Patrick Moore. Meirs Moore tied the game with just 1:30 left, and then he assisted on Trevor Olson's game winner, just 26 seconds into OT. I have never heard Amsoil as loud when East tied the game late, it was definitely a great moment in their rivalry.
Thanks for bringing that up... that ending was hard to watch!
It is what it is!
Frequent_MN_Flyer

Post by Frequent_MN_Flyer »

Grand Rapids upsetting #1 Greenway in the Taconite Ref-ridden Snake Pit in
OT. December of 2001. I'll never forget the absolute bedlam of the Rapids fans.
ZachHalverson

Post by ZachHalverson »

I thought the Hill-Murray's 5-1 victory over White Bear Lake in the 2010 Section Final was pretty special.