2023 Elite League Rosters

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

CakeScout17

Re: 2023 Elite League Rosters

Post by CakeScout17 »

They gotta break through and get a ring. We need the pot stirred...
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

BP wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:41 pm
bardown27 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:05 am looks like the link that had the elite league rosters posted has now been removed.

O/U 10 changes from the initial rosters when they are re-posted?
I would say the over for sure
Rosters have been updated on the website.

In:
Brett Ludvigsen (TDS)
Cam Kirschner (TDS)
Isaiah Paulnock (TCO)
Nate Chorlton (SIT)
Jordan Brothers (MSP Mag)

Out:
Ryder Betzold (TDS)
Gavin Garry (TDS)
Kam Hendrickson (TCO)
Sam Scheetz (SIT)
Louie Wehman (MSP Mag)
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

See Early Departure thread for updated list of 32 names of potential or known departures from HS . People can add missings and provide status updates that they know
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

WestMetro wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:55 pm See Early Departure thread for updated list of 32 names of potential or known departures from HS . People can add missings and provide status updates that they know
Do you know how this trending over time (over the past 5 or 10 years)?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Pipes

Just as a caution , the list of 30+ kids on the other thread is those who have elected not to play in the HSEL , not all of them will skip the Nov-Feb high school season , many will be playing juniors before and after the hs season

My sense is that the # kids not participating in HSEL has been growing rapidly due to more other options

The # kids ultimately deciding not to play HS hockey seems to be growing also but not as fast . It has gone up and down over the years . Karl/Lee may have the numbers somewhere
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Sanford and Base open tonite , and again tomorrow morning,
on the Bemidji high school rink . Streaming on mnhockey.tv, not sure if any pxp .

Always a great matchup , and each team with top notch goaltending
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

WestMetro wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:51 am Sanford and Base open tonite , and again tomorrow morning,
on the Bemidji high school rink . Streaming on mnhockey.tv, not sure if any pxp .

Looks like Landon Stringfellow is back from Chippewa and has been added to the St. Paul Magazine roster
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Glad he's back , I'll delete him off the potential early departure thread
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

WestMetro wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:51 am Sanford and Base open tonite , and again tomorrow morning,

Bemidji youth hockey rink
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

See updated status report of kids not in HSEL under Early Departure thread
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Prowler and other Section 8 forum members who have watched Conner Roff come up thru youth hockey and high school . Appreciate your insights on Conner over the years

Kid has been absolutely crushing it in HSEL for Sanford , 94% league leading save percent thru today . Has several 50+ sAve games incl against SSM , Havent seen him have a bad day yet and rarely gives up any easy ones
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Scoring leaders thru today are

-Mason Jenson Rog 23
-Brittan Alstead Wayz 21
-Luke Miller Wayz 19
-Jake Mattson Wayz 18
-Cade DeStHubert Wayz 18
-Parker Deschene Rog 17
- Mason Minor BSM 17
- Chuck Owens CDH 16
- Nate Chorlton CDH 16
-Ryan Flaherty Ed 16
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

The USNTDP U17 team is in town this weekend to take on a couple HS Elite League all-star teams.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

WarmUpTheBus wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:22 pm The USNTDP U17 team is in town this weekend to take on a couple HS Elite League all-star teams.
Yes. I've been told they will play the same team both days. Saturday at Noon and Sunday at 9 am. I'll be there for the second one.
Be kind. Rewind.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

O-townClown wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:16 pm
WarmUpTheBus wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:22 pm The USNTDP U17 team is in town this weekend to take on a couple HS Elite League all-star teams.
Yes. I've been told they will play the same team both days. Saturday at Noon and Sunday at 9 am. I'll be there for the second one.
The Minnesota boys more than held their own. I was at Saturday's game. Looks like Sunday's game was a barn burner.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

I was there Saturday also . Impressed the Minnesota kids hung with them

Potter and Kvasnicka on same line -wow !

Where will Potter go in the NHL draft - top 5 overall ?
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

WestMetro wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:14 pm I was there Saturday also . Impressed the Minnesota kids hung with them

Potter and Kvasnicka on same line -wow !

Where will Potter go in the NHL draft - top 5 overall ?
I think he's eligible for the 2025 draft, probably not top 5. It is curious that he has committed to Michigan State. Any idea what the connection is?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

WarmUpThe Bus

Yup 2025

"Sep 21, 2023 — Potter is the No. 1 ranked '07-born North American skater, according to Puck Preps. "

Maybe Rob and Jenny met/knew Nightengale while he was at SSM or NTDP? Of course verbal commits don't seem to always be honored nowadays
cigar

Post by cigar »

A large NIL was involved.
westsidescout

Post by westsidescout »

cigar wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:09 am A large NIL was involved.

Details?
Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy »

westsidescout wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:42 am
cigar wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:09 am A large NIL was involved.

Details?
I don't know these details on this player. However....

Michigan State has a huge NIL collective for its athletes and recruits. Two alums--Mat Ishbia and Steve St. Andre--are funneling millions into a collective (legally, I might add) to pay Spartan athletes. Ishbia owns the Phoenix Suns and Forbes says he's worth north of $6 billion. He's in the mortgage lending business and was a walk-on basketball player at Michigan State when they won the national championship. St. Andre is in the digital marketing business and also has a ton of dough. They're the guys that funded the huge contract extension for MSU football coach Mel Tucker--which hasn't worked out too well, as you may know. Football and Men's Basketball are the main targets for the NIL money at MSU, but maybe there's plenty for other sports, including hockey.

You can find more info by googling Ishbia and St. Andre.

Anecdotally, I have a friend whose kid was recruited by another Big Ten school (not a hockey school) in a non-revenue sport. I was told some of these Big Ten schools have a ton of NIL cash to throw at their athletes and recruits. I would guess at some point this is going to affect Big Ten hockey at the expense of NCHC, CCHA, and other schools. But it's happening already. But we'll see.
HockeyTalk2020

Post by HockeyTalk2020 »

I think it is in-vogue to just say kids are getting "a large" of NIL money. There were rumors Cooley was offered $75k from MN to go...that is not accurate from credible sources. Most likely the money that is being offered outside of scholarship is the Alston money. This was a supreme court case the NCAA lost a year or so ago in which the SC unanimously approved college athletes on scholarship are eligible to earn $5,980 a year. In past, scholarship athletes were not allowed to earn income...the NIL case ruling a few years back sprung this into action and now schools can give that money each year to their athletes. From what I've heard in hockey, all the B10 schools are offering this and some other schools are as well. But it does requires funds to pull from and B10 schools have access to more of those revenue streams (i.e. Mich St example Duluthguy referred). I think more teams will setup these pools to offer hockey players but with it only a year old or many schools are trying to figure this out.

For players like Potter who are on basically a 100% official scholarship, schools have ways to add cost of living stipend and the Alston funds and players can walk away with $7,000-$10,000k a year in their pocket.

Where the NIL really comes into play is you are seeing hockey players now using their name for summer hockey camps. In some cases they are heavily involved, and in others they are more figurehead and are compensated to draw kids to camps/clinics in summer. I've heard of a couple players from pretty good sources packing in $15-30k using the NIL for these camps.

Hockey is not a mover for NIL like you hear for bigger sports that drive revenue for universities i.e. football and basketball. So the idea a player like Potter getting "a large NIL" from MSU I don't think is as big as it sounds. For a 15-16 year old committing, a free education and $50-$70k in your pocket is A" a large NIL". Just not a 6 figure or even 7 figure pay day you hear about football and basketball players are getting...now that is "a large NIL".

my 2 cents
cigar

Post by cigar »

in the six figures is what he is getting
HockeyTalk2020

Post by HockeyTalk2020 »

Perhaps you know first hand. If so, good for him. Be interesting to see how he evolves. I haven’t seen him play much admittedly. Off to a slow start in his ushl games against much older competition.
OldManRiver

Post by OldManRiver »

I think this is an interesting site when talking about NIL money.

https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player/nil-100/