Hermantown? Warroad? Meh

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

mnmouth

Hermantown? Warroad? Meh

Post by mnmouth »

It appears to me that all the pre-tournament hype surrounding Warroad and consternation concerning Hermantown playing in Class A was completely misplaced. Warroad the best team in the state regardless of class?? Uh, no. From what I've seen from the AA teams, the Warriors would have some difficulty competing against deeper teams who have played a more rugged schedule. Also, their first line is certainly great, but not in the class of Andover, Edina or Minnetonka. As for Hermantown, Mahtomedi outplayed and outcoached them. If they were to play 10 times, Hermantown might win 5, but I'm not convinced.
rainier2

Re: Hermantown? Warroad? Meh

Post by rainier2 »

mnmouth wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:54 am It appears to me that all the pre-tournament hype surrounding Warroad and consternation concerning Hermantown playing in Class A was completely misplaced. Warroad the best team in the state regardless of class?? Uh, no. From what I've seen from the AA teams, the Warriors would have some difficulty competing against deeper teams who have played a more rugged schedule. Also, their first line is certainly great, but not in the class of Andover, Edina or Minnetonka. As for Hermantown, Mahtomedi outplayed and outcoached them. If they were to play 10 times, Hermantown might win 5, but I'm not convinced.
I agree with pretty much all of this, but the only reason the "consternation concerning Hermantown playing in Class A was completely misplaced" appears so is because Hermantown lost their 3 best players before the season. Had these three stayed, they would have waltzed their way to the A title, guaranteed.

Hermantown beat Mahtomedi 6-3 earlier this season, went 3-0 vs AA tourney teams, and went 13-1-1 vs AA teams overall, including wins over BSM and EP. Hermantown absolutely is a AA-caliber team, they just struggle when they get to the tourney, year after year. They only win it all when they have an overwhelming advantage in talent.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

rainier2 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:34 am
mnmouth wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:54 am It appears to me that all the pre-tournament hype surrounding Warroad and consternation concerning Hermantown playing in Class A was completely misplaced. Warroad the best team in the state regardless of class?? Uh, no. From what I've seen from the AA teams, the Warriors would have some difficulty competing against deeper teams who have played a more rugged schedule. Also, their first line is certainly great, but not in the class of Andover, Edina or Minnetonka. As for Hermantown, Mahtomedi outplayed and outcoached them. If they were to play 10 times, Hermantown might win 5, but I'm not convinced.
I agree with pretty much all of this, but the only reason the "consternation concerning Hermantown playing in Class A was completely misplaced" appears so is because Hermantown lost their 3 best players before the season. Had these three stayed, they would have waltzed their way to the A title, guaranteed.

Hermantown beat Mahtomedi 6-3 earlier this season, went 3-0 vs AA tourney teams, and went 13-1-1 vs AA teams overall, including wins over BSM and EP. Hermantown absolutely is a AA-caliber team, they just struggle when they get to the tourney, year after year. They only win it all when they have an overwhelming advantage in talent.
But they did not have an "overwhelming advantage" in talent this year. This year, they look to be on the level with the 2-3 other Class A teams. And my point is only to be considered with what I saw on the ice the past few days.
defense

Post by defense »

But what if Warroad were to beat the best team in AA with their one line and lack of depth? Oh.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

defense wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:38 pm
But what if Warroad were to beat the best team in AA with their one line and lack of depth? Oh.
They'd have to join AA to find out. :wink:
I can splash in the rink puddles!
Getitright

Post by Getitright »

Out coached? Agree. Outplayed? Not the game I watched.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Warroad couldn’t win 3 in a row in A playing Cathedral, Orono, and Mahtomedi. No way they win 3 in a row in AA.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

Yes Warroad absolutely wore out their first line. They honestly were lucky to beat Orono. Take away that flukey first goal off the glass and off the back of the goalie and in, and Orono might have won in regulation. Warroad looked gassed in the third period and in the first ot of that game. In the championship, I thought if Mahtomedi could keep the game close, they had a great chance of winning. They did just that.