old games

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Nostalgic Nerd

Re: old games

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Slap Shot wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:35 am
Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:50 am I'm fairly sure that was Stauber in goal during the 88/89 season.
Yes but the goalie question was for a Greenway vs. Kennedy game a few years earlier and not the Gophers in '89.
I was trying to figure out if Stolp was the starting goalie or not in '89.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:40 am
Slap Shot wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:35 am
Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:50 am I'm fairly sure that was Stauber in goal during the 88/89 season.
Yes but the goalie question was for a Greenway vs. Kennedy game a few years earlier and not the Gophers in '89.
I was trying to figure out if Stolp was the starting goalie or not in '89.
It was definitely Stauber for the Gophers in the game vs. Harvard, although iirc Stolp had more than a dozen starts during the season.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I meant Miller & Gernander were playing. Satuber was goalie. Stolp was still on the team though.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:15 am 1987 Kennedy vs Greenway semi. 4-2 final.

3-1 Kennedy after 1st. Jason Miller ended up with 6 goals or so for the tourney. He had a strong slapper. Going into the 3rd Greenway was really taking it to them, but goalie Chris Lund made a number of quality saves to shut the door. Although percentage wise it wasn't wise, but I really enjoy the stand up goaltending. The kick out save and when they'd come really far out to cut the angle were pretty fun. :) Plus it will never be the same without the clear boards. :(

I believe that was Stolp in goal for Greenway. He played for the Gophers.
You're right on both counts with Stolp.
I saw Coach Bob Germander at a game in Coleraine the next season and he said if Kennedy and Greenway played 10 games, each would win 5.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

raidergrad72 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:53 pm
Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:15 am 1987 Kennedy vs Greenway semi. 4-2 final.

3-1 Kennedy after 1st. Jason Miller ended up with 6 goals or so for the tourney. He had a strong slapper. Going into the 3rd Greenway was really taking it to them, but goalie Chris Lund made a number of quality saves to shut the door. Although percentage wise it wasn't wise, but I really enjoy the stand up goaltending. The kick out save and when they'd come really far out to cut the angle were pretty fun. :) Plus it will never be the same without the clear boards. :(

I saw Coach Bob Germander at a game in Coleraine the next season and he said if Kennedy and Greenway played 10 games, each would win 5.
I was also at this game; then rewatched it a couple weeks ago. Stolp had one of those brain fart games we occasionally saw when he played for the Gophers. He gave up bad goals in the first period. On the Miller goal, although partially screened, he was out of position on a slapper from just inside the blue line. On the Decker goal, he could not have given up a juicier rebound, as he looked momentarily stunned and failed to clear the puck. And he terribly misplayed the 3rd goal on a slapshot he saw all the way. Likely did not help Greenway that Gary Gustason missed the game with a shoulder injury - probably their #2 defenseman. Heck of a game by Kennedy, though. Greenway probably had more overall top-end talent, but Kennedy coach Erickson had a wonderful game plan.

Better yet, Greenway may have handed Edina its worst loss ever at State, whacking the Hornets 8-3 in the Quarterfinals. I'll leave others on this forum to confirm whether this was the case. :shock:
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

mnmouth wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:31 am
raidergrad72 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:53 pm

I was also at this game; then rewatched it a couple weeks ago. Stolp had one of those brain fart games we occasionally saw when he played for the Gophers. He gave up bad goals in the first period. On the Miller goal, although partially screened, he was out of position on a slapper from just inside the blue line. On the Decker goal, he could not have given up a juicier rebound, as he looked momentarily stunned and failed to clear the puck. And he terribly misplayed the 3rd goal on a slapshot he saw all the way. Likely did not help Greenway that Gary Gustason missed the game with a shoulder injury - probably their #2 defenseman. Heck of a game by Kennedy, though. Greenway probably had more overall top-end talent, but Kennedy coach Erickson had a wonderful game plan.

Better yet, Greenway may have handed Edina its worst loss ever at State, whacking the Hornets 8-3 in the Quarterfinals. I'll leave others on this forum to confirm whether this was the case. :shock:
Yes 8-3. Then I think SSP beat Edina in the consolation semis 7-5. SSP beat Hill in the con finals. I remember the coach tearing up over that win. I'm pretty sure OT.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

1993-

If Cloquet had a better goalie, makes me wonder what could have happened had they beaten Moorhead in the qtrs. With Langenbrunner/Petrov that could have been fun to see! They really poured it on in the consolations. 8)