Class AA QF - Hill-Murray vs #1 Minnetonka

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Hill-Murray
26%
Minnetonka
74%

Total votes: 31

Sparlimb

Class AA QF - Hill-Murray vs #1 Minnetonka

Post by Sparlimb »

Minnetonka defeated Hill-Murray 5-0 and outshot them 47-13 on Jan 4th. Hill is 0-7 vs the field. Tonka is 6-0 vs the field.
BlueLineSpecial

Re: Class AA QF - Hill-Murray vs #1 Minnetonka

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

This is one of those years where I feel great about getting to State. There were people thinking East Ridge would beat Hill in the opening round of sections. Then Woodbury upset Stillwater, who I pegged to beat Hill, giving them an easier path to the finals. And I would have thought for sure WB would be the finals opponent and give Hill everything they could handle, especially after spoiling their Hockey Day in dramatic fashion.

I would never have thought going into sections that Hill would play East Ridge, Woodbury & Gentry.

Tonka is a beast and whatever happens, happens. This is great experience for a very very young Hill team. Maybe they shock everyone….
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

I see Hill stunning the Skippers in a 6-5 shootout in this one.

Ok, just kidding. The State runner-up boys soccer teams outscored the hockey team, so we don't have any snippers. My head says Tonka 4-1, maybe 5-1. Tonka is the odds on favorite to win the championship.
Hockey Is For Everyone
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Ben Miller and 1-2 others were out for the Pios in the earlier game , HM peaking at the right time , and Erickson will be confident going in , so should be closer than the first game
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

WestMetro wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:32 pm Ben Miller and 1-2 others were out for the Pios in the earlier game , HM peaking at the right time , and Erickson will be confident going in , so should be closer than the first game
For HM to win, it will have to be 2-1 or 3-2. Something like that. Absolutely can not become a shoot out. What actually stood out in the section final is how well Hill's defense has come around. They really played well defensively and Erickson was great in net. They are going to have to do it again as Tonka has even more fire power then Gentry did. Hill has a chance, albeit not a good one.

Thinking Tonka gets an empty netter and wins 3-1.
stpaul

Post by stpaul »

This season is very similar to Hill-Murray's 2018 season. HM was very young and went 10-11-4 in the regular season. They then knocked off a 22-win WBL team in the section final. Lost to State Champ Minnetonka 6-2 in the Q-final. Finished 13-13-4. It was a jump start for Charlie Strobel, Rem Koepple and the others that won the State title 2 years later in 2020. History may repeat itself. HM has little chance against Tonka, but HDM, the 4AA title and State Tournament are great experience for this young team.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Feels like this is the 3rd or 4th times these teams have met in the QF and Tonka has only been to state 7 times. :lol:
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Slap Shot wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:46 pm Feels like this is the 3rd or 4th times these teams have met in the QF and Tonka has only been to state 7 times. :lol:
To be honest, I could see Tonka at state a little less and Hastings some more...
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

Based on what I saw last night, I'm going to pick HM maybe for no other reason than I have to choose a wildcard. I've seen Minnetonka twice and they're very strong but I also like the tenacious checking of HM, the fact they've recovered from early season woes and of course, Bill Lechner.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:35 am This is one of those years where I feel great about getting to State. There were people thinking East Ridge would beat Hill in the opening round of sections. Then Woodbury upset Stillwater, who I pegged to beat Hill, giving them an easier path to the finals. And I would have thought for sure WB would be the finals opponent and give Hill everything they could handle, especially after spoiling their Hockey Day in dramatic fashion.

I would never have thought going into sections that Hill would play East Ridge, Woodbury & Gentry.

Tonka is a beast and whatever happens, happens. This is great experience for a very very young Hill team. Maybe they shock everyone….
HM will be in it for the next 3 years for sure.
mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster »

When Hill plays Lechners system if tight checking and defense 1st hockey, they can play with anyone with Erickson in goal.
Minnetonka is clearly the better team, but would not shock me to see this a 1 goal game late into the 3rd

So much respect for the program and coaching staff. Hill has always been a bitter rival, and Friday was the first time rooting for HM in sections. Good luck to the Pioneers.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Sparlimb wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:33 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:46 pm Feels like this is the 3rd or 4th times these teams have met in the QF and Tonka has only been to state 7 times. :lol:
To be honest, I could see Tonka at state a little less and Hastings some more...
HM has been there 33 times, Edina perhaps even more often, how many times has it been Moorhead, Duluth East, etc., but the team that's been there 7 times is too much? At least pick a team from Hastings' section.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Roseau 34
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:35 am This is one of those years where I feel great about getting to State. There were people thinking East Ridge would beat Hill in the opening round of sections. Then Woodbury upset Stillwater, who I pegged to beat Hill, giving them an easier path to the finals. And I would have thought for sure WB would be the finals opponent and give Hill everything they could handle, especially after spoiling their Hockey Day in dramatic fashion.

White bear would have been in the finals, except for the inept coaching of Sager.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

elliott70 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:44 pmRoseau 34
Let's hope Roseau makes it next year. Eventually Hill will pass them (and maybe even Edina who tries to claim 37 or so times at state), but I like the idea of it being a northern team. Roseau has such good teams for such a small town.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Sparlimb wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:54 pm
Let's hope Roseau makes it next year. Eventually Hill will pass them (and maybe even Edina who tries to claim 37 or so times at state), but I like the idea of it being a northern team. Roseau has such good teams for such a small town.
It won’t be next year.
green4

Post by green4 »

Sparlimb wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:54 pm
I think the argument for Edina claiming 37 trips to state and their 13 championships is valid. For 8 years they took half the kids out of their school and still won 3 championships. They actively made it harder for themselves in sports, it was not an advantage.
I would not count and Edina West appearances at state to the overall total as that is a different school to me, so maybe I only consider 36 appearances if they try to sneak in the 1 West appearance in their overall total, but East was the original high school so anything they did I would could towards their total
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

I’m rooting for running time!
Smooth

Post by Smooth »

Hill will be one and done. Maybe get a win in the losers side.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Smooth wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:33 am Hill will be one and done. Maybe get a win in the losers side.
You've had some really hot takes in the past week. Keep 'em coming.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Betting on Minnetonka.
Cheering for Hill.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Sparlimb wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:09 am
Smooth wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:33 am Hill will be one and done. Maybe get a win in the losers side.
Same person who posted "WBL and Gentry at Aldrich would be fun to watch" not all that long ago - that post aged like milk
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
East Side Pioneer Guy

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:47 am
Sparlimb wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:09 am
Same person who posted "WBL and Gentry at Aldrich would be fun to watch" not all that long ago - that post aged like milk
Personal bias, be it extreme animosity or favoritism, is a huge obstacle to overcome when predicting outcomes in sports and politics.
Confirmation bias will cost you money in the betting markets. I can come up with several reasons why Hill will win on Thursday. But I'm not putting my money on the line. Sticking with Tonka by 3.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Smooth

Post by Smooth »

Yup, Gentry let me down. Don't think that will be the case at state. Tonka is well oiled machine of recruits. Kind of fitting they play the hill school. Can't wait til Thursday, should be an awesome tourny.
East Side Pioneer Guy

There was no basis, beyond hope, that Gentry would dismantle Hill. The difference between Tonka and Gentry is like night and day.

Gentry wouldn't have a prayer against Tonka. Hill little beyond a prayer against Tonka, but they've got that. And Lex. And Erickson.
Hockey Is For Everyone