Defending My Honor (Braemar Scoreboard Operator)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Brodziak Fan Club

Defending My Honor (Braemar Scoreboard Operator)

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

I’m the scoreboard operator at Braemar. On the YHH pod, Danny says that the 62 shots put up by Tonka should be in heavy quotes, and that it was more like high 40s. Maybe in the past Braemar was known for shot-padding, but I was as precise as I could possibly get. If anything, I missed a few of Tonka’s shots because I was blocked by a body on the ice. The Skippers dominated that game unlike any I saw this year. Danny, I know you like to chat a lot during the games, and there’s nothing wrong with that! Don’t act like you know how many shots are put up unless you are actually watching the game and tallying every one, because that’s what I did. I like you, Danny - I don’t mean this as a personal attack. Just gotta stand up for myself :)

Yes, I believe this deserved its own thread :lol:
elliott70

Re: Defending My Honor (Braemar Scoreboard Operator)

Post by elliott70 »

=D>
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

Considering the action was in Shakopee's zone for 95% of the game, I can believe the 60+ shots for Tonka - it was an onslaught. Not sure if it was a take just to elicit a reaction for the pod. The tone of the podcast felt kind of ornery (what the fans say, trolls, etc.) and that might be part of that. It was the most lopsided 3-1 game I had seen in a while. I was joking with my brother at the game if Shakopee somehow won the game, they needed to build a statue of Huson outside of Shakopee High School.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

ryguyMN wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:03 pm Considering the action was in Shakopee's zone for 95% of the game, I can believe the 60+ shots for Tonka - it was an onslaught. Not sure if it was a take just to elicit a reaction for the pod. The tone of the podcast felt kind of ornery (what the fans say, trolls, etc.) and that might be part of that. It was the most lopsided 3-1 game I had seen in a while. I was joking with my brother at the game if Shakopee somehow won the game, they needed to build a statue of Huson outside of Shakopee High School.
I checked the Hockey Hub box score and they have it at 62 shots so I'll go with that.
Rr, as far as the statue goes, don't forget the SABRE in his stick hand! :mrgreen: :D
Brodziak Fan Club

raidergrad72 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:33 pm I checked the Hockey Hub box score and they have it at 62 shots so I'll go with that.
Rr, as far as the statue goes, don't forget the SABRE in his stick hand! :mrgreen: :D
For the record, we take a picture of the scoresheet and send it to the Hub and Legacy. That's how they get their info.

I listened to more of the pod and will add that it's quite rich of Danny to rip on the PA announcer for getting names wrong when he does the same thing on a regular basis. It was especially bad today. I wasn't there for 3AA on Friday night. If I was I would've helped my buddy out with the Cretin and St. Thomas names. Danny, until you can get things right yourself, back off.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

It's incredibly rare that scoreboard operators get remotely close to the correct # of shots and in the end, who gives a hoot? The only people it matters to are the goalie and the parents on the team who can blame the goalie if their save % wasn't high enough, thereby providing an easy excuse for the loss.

So to the scoreboard operator who was actually paying attention and God forbid maybe giving the goalie the benefit of the doubt for a save that might have been 2 inches wide or 6 inches high...thank you! You are very much in the minority of scoreboard operators.
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

=D>
Play Like a Champion Today
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Gonna make some popcorn, kick back, and enjoy this thread! :lol:
Brodziak Fan Club

karl(east) wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:46 pm Gonna make some popcorn, kick back, and enjoy this thread! :lol:
I’ve said all I need to say… for now :lol:
yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey »

I can't figure out what we are arguing about

As I see it

A hornet fan is complimenting a Skipper team (that's rare..but good for hockey)

A Shakopee goalie gets to brag 20 years from now how he once stopped 62 shots in a section game

YHH gets some free press

Chanhassen is licking their chops thinking the skippers sticks are all wore down to slivers

and FINALLY a scorekeeper gets some respect for all the hard volunteers hours they put in.

Congrats to all
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

I have worked the clock for many high school games and counted the shots. We usually have 2 or 3 guys in the box and all try to help out. Like you said, sometimes the ref or players are in the way. Several times a game, from our angle you can tell shots would be wide of the net and the goalie saves it, but you don't count it. I have had several occasions where between periods, people have told me that you missed a few shots that period. Really, who cares, we do our best and for the most part are pretty accurate. I am definitely not the type that tries to pad shots or screw the other team out of shots.
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
The51

Post by The51 »

I was at the game. I noticed one time where a shot was blocked right in front of the goalie by one of the D and Minnetonka was awarded a shot but like has been mentioned very easy to understand a line of sight being blocked preventing the scoreboard operator from seeing that. Other than that, thought he was accurate