Duluth Denfeld, Rock Ridge to opt up to Class AA, Hermantown to stay Class A

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

defense

Re: Duluth Denfeld, Rock Ridge to opt up to Class AA, Hermantown to stay Class A

Post by defense »

ClassAGuy wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:27 am
elliott70 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:33 am So exactly how does the AA class work?

Per MSHSL they top 64 schools are AA.
The opt ups are added.

So, if that number is greater than 64 can the lowest populations elect to drop back????
Right now, the number in AA exceeds 64 and there are 10(???) opt ups. But it is not 64 plus 10 more like 67 or 68 in AA.
I looked at MSHSL this morning it is not Top 64 they list it as 1299 and above is AA and 1298 and below A

So it will depend on where the cutoff line will be that solves that.

I do think by DD and RR opting up it may drop the cut off line down instead of up though.
Policy that I just read in mshsl.org says there are three options for two classes : top 64 to AA, bottom 64 to A , or even split. So there is no black and white answer. Also teams can opt up or opt down, there are forms for both. This was general policy not specific to a sport.
ClassAGuy

Re: Duluth Denfeld, Rock Ridge to opt up to Class AA, Hermantown to stay Class A

Post by ClassAGuy »

defense wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:53 pm
elliott70 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:33 am So exactly how does the AA class work?

The opt ups are added.

So, if that number is greater than 64 can the lowest populations elect to drop back????
Right now, the number in AA exceeds 64 and there are 10(???) opt ups. But it is not 64 plus 10 more like 67 or 68 in AA.
I looked at MSHSL this morning it is not Top 64 they list it as 1299 and above is AA and 1298 and below A

I do think by DD and RR opting up it may drop the cut off line down instead of up though.
Policy that I just read in mshsl.org says there are three options for two classes : top 64 to AA, bottom 64 to A , or even split. So there is no black and white answer. Also teams can opt up or opt down, there are forms for both. This was general policy not specific to a sport.
This is from the MSHSL Website on "Activity Classifications for 2021-2022 and 2022-2023" Where I got the cut off line as it lists Boys hockey as 1299 and above AA and 1298 and below A

https://www.mshsl.org/sites/default/fil ... 2-2023.pdf
defense

Post by defense »

ClassAGuy wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:56 pm

This is from the MSHSL Website on "Activity Classifications for 2021-2022 and 2022-2023" Where I got the cut off line as it lists Boys hockey as 1299 and above AA and 1298 and below A

https://www.mshsl.org/sites/default/fil ... 2-2023.pdf
This is a link to the way that they made the current classification.

https://www.mshsl.org/sites/default/fil ... 222023.pdf

This is not available for the next cycle yet.
defense

Post by defense »

ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

defense wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:05 pm This is the general policy.

https://www.mshsl.org/sites/default/fil ... cement.pdf
Yes exactly so like I was trying to say the number last time was 1299 they cut off at. With the two smaller schools added could that shift the Top 64 Number down from 1299 to like 1250? It will be curious to see. I think we are on the exact same page here but overall its confusing.
Last edited by ClassAGuy on Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
defense

Post by defense »

Not sure why they would muddle things up by putting a list of enrollment numbers out like that. Just more data I guess. Too much time on their hands.
Or possibly they have no idea what they are going to do and decide to put as much info out as possible in order to answer as many questions as they can even though in this case the info kind of contradicts itself. Interesting
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

defense wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:10 pm Not sure why they would muddle things up by putting a list of enrollment numbers out like that. Just more data I guess. Too much time on their hands.
Or possibly they have no idea what they are going to do and decide to put as much info out as possible in order to answer as many questions as they can even though in this case the info kind of contradicts itself. Interesting
The above Statement is the best Summary I have seen when trying to figure out the MSHSL =D> Bravo
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

The opt ups are added.

Maybe its time for Three Classes in Boys hockey :D thats a different thread I know
defense

Post by defense »

ClassAGuy wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:08 pm
defense wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:05 pm This is the general policy.

https://www.mshsl.org/sites/default/fil ... cement.pdf
Yes exactly so like I was trying to say the number last time was 1299 they cut off at. With the two smaller schools added could that shift the Top 64 Number down from 1299 to like 1250? It will be curious to see. I think we are on the exact same page here.
I think we are close, but what I see from this info is that they took the largest 64 that play hockey and put them in AA, they put the rest in A, then added opt ups to AA, opt downs to A. I don't think opt ups figure in to the cut off. But as I said, maybe no one knows exactly lol
defense

Post by defense »

ClassAGuy wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:14 pm

Maybe its time for Three Classes in Boys hockey :D thats a different thread I know
I like one. Or maybe a modification of what there is.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

defense wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:17 pm

I like one. Or maybe a modification of what there is.
Agree to disagree I think the addition of Class A hockey has been good for hockey overall.

Again, I don't think 3 classes is the answer but we do have issues with the current set up. Northern Edge & Tartan have to be AA due to enrollment but Cambridge Isanti and MLPS with AA enrollment get to be Class A those things drive me bonkers with MSHSL
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

There are about 10 opt ups if I counted right.
If they had the top 64 and the opt-ups we would have 74 or so teams but if I counted right, there are 68 teams.
So, I am at a loss BUT
they might do that to start and then take requests for opt-downs and that gets us to where we are.
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

North Dakota just passed going to three classes for basketball... so don't think it can't happen.
Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 »

BSUBeaver wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:08 pm

North Dakota just passed going to three classes for basketball... so don't think it can't happen.
ND used to have 3 classes for BBall, until sometime back in the 60's.
It is what it is!
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

ClassAGuy wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:28 pm
elliott70 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:15 pm
ClassAGuy wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:47 am Fun look at New AA Sections with RR and DD

Here is the AA Secitons For next year draft if the cutoff stays at 1299

1AA (8)- Lakeville South, Rochester Mayo, Lakeville North, Rochester Century, Hastings, Rochester John Marshall, Owatonna, Farmington
2AA (9)- Minnetonka, Chanhassen, Holy Family Catholic, Shakopee, Eden Prairie, Prior Lake, Chaska, Bloomington Jefferson, Waconia
3AA (9)- STA, CDH, Eastview, Apple Vally/Burnsville, Park Cottage Grove, Eagan, Woodbury, East Ridge, Rosemount
4AA (9)- HM, WBL, Gentry, Roseville, East Ridge, Tartan, Mounds View, Irondale, TG
5AA (9)- MG, Rogers, Centinnal, CP, Spring Lake Park, Osseo, Blaine, Coon Rapids, Anoka
6AA (8)- Edina, Wayzata, BSM, HA, Blake, St Louis Park, Hopkins, Armstrong/Cooper
7AA (9)- Andover, Northern Edge, East, GR, CEC, DM, FL, DD, RR
8AA (9)- Moorhead, Bemidji, Roseau, St Cloud, STMA, Brainerd, Buffalo, ER, Sartell
7AA
CEC did not elect to opt up.
Good Catch fixed below (I will put Rosemount in 1AA as fall back if JM is dead) Had East ridge listed Twice fixed that also

1AA (9)- Lakeville South, Rochester Mayo, Lakeville North, Rochester Century, Hastings, Rochester John Marshall, Owatonna, Farmington, Rosemount
2AA (8)- Minnetonka, Chanhassen, Holy Family Catholic, Shakopee, Eden Prairie, Prior Lake, Chaska, Bloomington Jefferson
3AA (8)- STA, CDH, Eastview, Apple Vally/Burnsville, Park Cottage Grove, Eagan, Woodbury, East Ridge
4AA (8)- HM, WBL, Gentry, Roseville, Tartan, Mounds View, Irondale, TG
5AA (8)- MG, Rogers, Centinnal, CP, Spring Lake Park, Osseo, Blaine, Coon Rapids
6AA (8)- Edina, Wayzata, BSM, HA, Blake, St Louis Park, Hopkins, Armstrong/Cooper
7AA (9)- Andover, Northern Edge, East, GR, Anoka, DM, FL, DD, RR
8AA (9)- Moorhead, Bemidji, Roseau, St Cloud, STMA, Brainerd, Buffalo, ER, Sartell
Where is Stillwater?
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

BodyShots wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:26 am

7AA
Good Catch fixed below (I will put Rosemount in 1AA as fall back if JM is dead) Had East ridge listed Twice fixed that also

1AA (9)- Lakeville South, Rochester Mayo, Lakeville North, Rochester Century, Hastings, Rochester John Marshall, Owatonna, Farmington, Rosemount
2AA (8)- Minnetonka, Chanhassen, Holy Family Catholic, Shakopee, Eden Prairie, Prior Lake, Chaska, Bloomington Jefferson
3AA (8)- STA, CDH, Eastview, Apple Vally/Burnsville, Park Cottage Grove, Eagan, Woodbury, East Ridge
5AA (8)- MG, Rogers, Centinnal, CP, Spring Lake Park, Osseo, Blaine, Coon Rapids
Where is Stillwater?
Maybe they opted to play in Wisconsin in the next two year cycle??? lol.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

BodyShots wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:26 am

7AA

Where is Stillwater?
Should be in 4AA like always must have missed them when trying to copy paste sections. TG could stay 4AA or got back to AA then looking at the map. Tried split them up thinking like Map. We will see what happens in April when the official one comes out.