3A 2017-2018

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

fastncrash wrote:To the Parents of SPA/Summit Students... The message the AD and Coaching Staff just sent to YOUR Athletes might not be worth $32k + per year.... JMO.

Christ, you are already allowed unrestricted geographical access to players and allowed to play in a League that IS restricted to geographical access.

So when the going get's tough, get running I guess is the message? :roll:
How is the league restricted to "geographical access?"
fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

Jeffy95 wrote:
fastncrash wrote:To the Parents of SPA/Summit Students... The message the AD and Coaching Staff just sent to YOUR Athletes might not be worth $32k + per year.... JMO.

Christ, you are already allowed unrestricted geographical access to players and allowed to play in a League that IS restricted to geographical access.

School Districts, for some... others, it's whatever they are successful in lobbying for.
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

elliott70 wrote:
Chalk_Talk wrote:

not sure what your talking about? please explain
Apparently SPA is not making the trip on Saturday to play Luverne.
That's a joke. It's not like it's halfway across the country. I'd be especially upset as a Luverne fan. A quality opponent everyone can look forward to and they bail?
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

fastncrash wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

School Districts, for some... others, it's whatever they are successful in lobbying for.
We have open enrollment in MN. Parents can have their kids play wherever they want. And it's free.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Jeffy95 wrote:
fastncrash wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote: How is the league restricted to "geographical access?"
We have open enrollment in MN. Parents can have their kids play wherever they want. And it's free.
Not entirely.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

elliott70 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
fastncrash wrote: School Districts, for some... others, it's whatever they are successful in lobbying for.
Not entirely.
How is that?
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

GoldyGopher wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
Chalk_Talk wrote: not sure what your talking about? please explain
Apparently SPA is not making the trip on Saturday to play Luverne.
That's a joke. It's not like it's halfway across the country. I'd be especially upset as a Luverne fan. A quality opponent everyone can look forward to and they bail?
Does the MSHSL fine or punish schools for cancelling like this? I get it if the team is being ravaged by the flu or some other unforseen issue but this is ridiculous.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Jeffy95 wrote:How is that?
Some schools do not accept OE.
Some places you may have to billet your kid at some cost.
Its not always black and white.

If a Bagley kid OE to Bemidji at the minimum you have gas money of $300- $400.

Assuming its free may screw up your budget.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

elliott70 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:How is that?
Some schools do not accept OE.
Some places you may have to billet your kid at some cost.
Its not always black and white.

If a Bagley kid OE to Bemidji at the minimum you have gas money of $300- $400.

Assuming its free may screw up your budget.
Schools don't have a choice. They have to accept it unless a particular grade is "full." They get to decide if it's full or not though, and very few want to turn down the $9,000 in per pupil aid from the State. So most of your OE hot spots are above capacity.

I assume the Bagley family is saving at least $300-$400 in property taxes and cost of living to offset that gas money.
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

Yuge wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote:
elliott70 wrote: Apparently SPA is not making the trip on Saturday to play Luverne.
Does the MSHSL fine or punish schools for cancelling like this? I get it if the team is being ravaged by the flu or some other unforseen issue but this is ridiculous.
It would all depend on what's within the contract signed by both schools. Many agreements, such as these, indicate a two year contract with each team hosting in one of those years. The question is whether there were financial considerations included in the legalese for not fulfilling/cancelling what was contained in that contract.
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

Corn Cobb wrote:
Yuge wrote:
GoldyGopher wrote: That's a joke. It's not like it's halfway across the country. I'd be especially upset as a Luverne fan. A quality opponent everyone can look forward to and they bail?
It would all depend on what's within the contract signed by both schools. Many agreements, such as these, indicate a two year contract with each team hosting in one of those years. The question is whether there were financial considerations included in the legalese for not fulfilling/cancelling what was contained in that contract.
I have no idea about the contract situation, however, the MSHSL should have rules preventing this. This sounds like they backed out because they are down this year and did not want to make the drive and possibly lose. Absolutely pathetic!
Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 »

Yuge wrote:
Corn Cobb wrote:
Yuge wrote: Does the MSHSL fine or punish schools for cancelling like this? I get it if the team is being ravaged by the flu or some other unforseen issue but this is ridiculous.
I have no idea about the contract situation, however, the MSHSL should have rules preventing this. This sounds like they backed out because they are down this year and did not want to make the drive and possibly lose. Absolutely pathetic!
You guys all missed it the coach was happy to visit with Bruce today and talk about the Wild! What a joker! Well at least they gave an advanced notice by calling on Monday! Maybe they forgot to shut the lights off in the hallway again!
lamplighter98

Post by lamplighter98 »

Whiner33 wrote:
Yuge wrote:
Corn Cobb wrote:
You guys all missed it the coach was happy to visit with Bruce today and talk about the Wild! What a joker! Well at least they gave an advanced notice by calling on Monday! Maybe they forgot to shut the lights off in the hallway again!
what year did this happen?
hawkeyguy2

Can we get back to talking about 3A

Post by hawkeyguy2 »

Is Luverne still the favorite? Looks like Luverne, Marshall, Litch, Hutch or New Ulm can take this section. Who's going to improve the most? Things usually tighten up by year end... who's has the best coaching?
Yuge

Re: Can we get back to talking about 3A

Post by Yuge »

hawkeyguy2 wrote:Is Luverne still the favorite? Looks like Luverne, Marshall, Litch, Hutch or New Ulm can take this section. Who's going to improve the most? Things usually tighten up by year end... who's has the best coaching?
Four of the five you mentioned will be at Gustavus for Super Saturday. Things will definitely tighten up as the season goes on. Litchfield and Hutchinson benefit from a tougher conference schedule come playoffs. Luverne has played in the Section Championship game seemingly forever but has underperformed numerous times, however, they are still the favorite. Still a number of intersection games coming so should be fun.
moosepaw

Post by moosepaw »

with luverene losing to Torino Grace, can we have a little understanding why SPA declined the game?

If you polled the entire state this is one of 3 sections that is an embarrassment to the entire state. No one cares who wins or plays in this section except for teams in section 3A. You will see as 3A teams go outside their cocoon of BS teams in this section that they will get killed this week at their Christmas tourneys.

Luverne please show some humbleness, remember we are 3 short years away when Beers won Pee Wee payer of the year. How is he now? The Crusaders will kick the minnesota out of you and you will click your heels three times and pray to go back to South Dakota.
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

moosepaw wrote:with luverene losing to Torino Grace, can we have a little understanding why SPA declined the game?

If you polled the entire state this is one of 3 sections that is an embarrassment to the entire state. No one cares who wins or plays in this section except for teams in section 3A. You will see as 3A teams go outside their cocoon of BS teams in this section that they will get killed this week at their Christmas tourneys.

Luverne please show some humbleness, remember we are 3 short years away when Beers won Pee Wee payer of the year. How is he now? The Crusaders will kick the minnesota out of you and you will click your heels three times and pray to go back to South Dakota.
Merry Christmas!!
GoldyGopher

Post by GoldyGopher »

moosepaw wrote:with luverene losing to Torino Grace, can we have a little understanding why SPA declined the game?

This isn't the same SPA that has won 1 game this year, is it? Yeah, can't imagine the parents would be pleased after they lost to a mediocre South Dakota team like Luverne.
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration
Thegoldenjet

Luverne holiday

Post by Thegoldenjet »

How has the holiday tourney been for Luverne? Looked like regardless of outcome it would be a good team development atmosphere. Not going Lord on it here, but it’s big for us Big Southers to have to strap it up like that on consecutive days.

Genuinely curious, drifting not trolling.
better late

Post by better late »

Lost to Eagan 4-0; beat St Paul Johnson 3-1; play Hopkins at 3:00 today.
Schnauzer1

Post by Schnauzer1 »

better late wrote:Lost to Eagan 4-0; beat St Paul Johnson 3-1; play Hopkins at 3:00 today.
I watched Luverne's 3-6 loss to Chanhassen on Saturday. Chanhassen is AA but would likely struggle against most top A teams. Luverne's struggles with teams outside of the SW MN Section 3 territory this season (especially Hopkins) suggests it will be another rough year for the Section 3 state tourney entry. Marshall may challenge Luverne by the time the section tourney rolls around.
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

Schnauzer1 wrote:
better late wrote:Lost to Eagan 4-0; beat St Paul Johnson 3-1; play Hopkins at 3:00 today.
I watched Luverne's 3-6 loss to Chanhassen on Saturday. Chanhassen is AA but would likely struggle against most top A teams. Luverne's struggles with teams outside of the SW MN Section 3 territory this season (especially Hopkins) suggests it will be another rough year for the Section 3 state tourney entry. Marshall may challenge Luverne by the time the section tourney rolls around.
How does taking the defending state champion to Overtime qualify as a rough outing at State?

Marshall has a good squad but not sure if they can score enough to win the section. Plante is a good scorer but he has been mostly held in check when against Luverne.
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

Any thoughts on Marshall vs New Ulm tonight? If New Ulm wins tonight they will have swept the Tigers this year which possibly could effect section seeding. N.U. has close losses to section opponents Litch and Hutch but a win tonight might make seeding more difficult.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Top 6 teams in order

1 Luverne
2 Marshall
3 Hutchinson
4 Litchfield
5 New Ulm
6 Willmar

If New Ulm would beat Marshall it would mix things up a bit but enough to change things???

Good question, but first, New Ulm will probably not win. Marshal has been playing a lot better since the OT win in early December
Are both teams at 100%?
If so, I will take Marshall by 2 maybe 3.

If NU wins I see them having an argument for the 3 spot depending on how the other teams do.

Good luck to both.
I never get to see 3A until state.
Yuge

Post by Yuge »

elliott70 wrote:Top 6 teams in order

1 Luverne
2 Marshall
3 Hutchinson
4 Litchfield
5 New Ulm
6 Willmar

If New Ulm would beat Marshall it would mix things up a bit but enough to change things???

Good question, but first, New Ulm will probably not win. Marshal has been playing a lot better since the OT win in early December
Are both teams at 100%?
If so, I will take Marshall by 2 maybe 3.

If NU wins I see them having an argument for the 3 spot depending on how the other teams do.

Good luck to both.
I never get to see 3A until state.
Marshall hangs on 3-2 after giving up two goals very late into third. The win puts Marshall in the driver's seat for a two seed. Don't see New Ulm being seeded any higher then five.