AA Quarterfinal: Hill-Murray vs. #1 Lakeville North

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Pioneers
46%
Panthers
54%

Total votes: 54

karl(east)

AA Quarterfinal: Hill-Murray vs. #1 Lakeville North

Post by karl(east) »

HILL-MURRAY VS. #1 LAKEVILLE NORTH
-This is a superb primetime matchup, as undefeated North has drawn the highest-ranked opponent for a top seed in Tourney history, and will have to beat three good teams to make the final. North won a December meeting 4-3 and leads the all-time series 2-1, with all of those games coming in the last three years.

Hill-Murray (21-7, #5, 1-seed in 4AA)
State appearances: 27 (first since 2013)
State Championships: 3 (1983, 1991, 2008)
Key section win: 4-0 over defending champion Stillwater
-The Pioneers are not among the favorites in this Tournament, but that role has suited them well in the past. This year’s squad is built firmly around its defense, which includes Mr. Hockey snub Jacob Olson (18), Davis Zarembinski (7), Casey Staum (19), and freshman star Mikey Anderson (24). The offense, meanwhile, is on the thin side, though Zach Mills (14) has carried the load admirably, and sophomore Marko Reiffenberger (22) has emerged as his sidekick. If they can generate enough offense, they’re tough enough in back to take down North, and after that, anything would be possible. They’ll need a lot of good contributions from some young players, including goalie Jake Begley (1), who won the job late in the season.

Lakeville North (28-0, #1, 1-seed in 1AA)
State appearances: 6 (3 in a row)
Key section win: 6-1 over #18 Farmington
-Like Edina, the Panthers are chasing early 90s Bloomington Jefferson, looking to become the first team to go undefeated since the 1993 Jaguars. If this team has an edge on Edina, it’s likely in its superb puck-moving defense including Jack McNeely (20), Jack Sadek (16), Angelo Altavilla (17), and Luke Seper (22). The St. Cloud-bound top line of Jack (3), Nick (7), and Ryan (4) has unmatched chemistry, and Henry Enebak (21) and Max Johnson (6) lead a lethal second unit. Gopher recruit Ryan Edquist (31), their sixth D-I commit, holds down the fort in goal. The Panthers’ biggest concern is their depth beyond the top two lines; if the big guns tire, they could be vulnerable. They also still have something to prove after last season’s forgettable performance in the championship game.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Tough draw for the Pioneers considering how highly they were ranked thru the season. Losses to all 5 of the seeded teams almost guaranteed them being unseeded, unfortunately.

Pioneers will need (of course) tremendous goaltending and they need to stay out of the box. We'll see if LN feels the pressure or not, and if that affects their play. HM teams tend in recent years play their best when they don't have the high expectations.

Good luck to the Pioneers!
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
stpaul

LN - HM

Post by stpaul »

I wouldn't count the Pioneers out in this one. LN is certainly loaded, unbeaten, #1 and the favorite. When they met in December LN dominated the first period, 1-0 score and 18-8 shots. In periods 2 & 3 the shots were 16-14 and the score 3-3. In the mean time Begley has matured and HM's D has been very strong. HM will absolutely have to stay out of the box. LN will kill them on the PP. LN was 2 of 4 in that Dec. 23rd game on the PP. LN has the benefit of Xcel ice and tournament experience from last year.

Still I can't help but remember that Roseau team that was supposed to clobber HM in the 2008 semis. One Roseau follower told me that HM would be lucky to touch the puck against that 29-0 Roseau team, much less get one past Mike Lee. It ended 6-2 HM. You never know for sure.
warriors41

Re: LN - HM

Post by warriors41 »

stpaul wrote:I wouldn't count the Pioneers out in this one. LN is certainly loaded, unbeaten, #1 and the favorite. When they met in December LN dominated the first period, 1-0 score and 18-8 shots. In periods 2 & 3 the shots were 16-14 and the score 3-3. In the mean time Begley has matured and HM's D has been very strong. HM will absolutely have to stay out of the box. LN will kill them on the PP. LN was 2 of 4 in that Dec. 23rd game on the PP. LN has the benefit of Xcel ice and tournament experience from last year.

Still I can't help but remember that Roseau team that was supposed to clobber HM in the 2008 semis. One Roseau follower told me that HM would be lucky to touch the puck against that 29-0 Roseau team, much less get one past Mike Lee. It ended 6-2 HM. You never know for sure.
I voted for HM wining this game. I think that program enjoys the opportunities to be an underdog. I only ever get to watch them on tv so not very often but they played very loose in that '08 game (a little loose with the rules too haha). They won't have any pressure on them so I expect them to play fast.
stpaul

Re: LN - HM

Post by stpaul »

warriors41 wrote: ...they played very loose in that '08 game (a little loose with the rules too haha).
That's the absolute truth. Bill Lechner's strategy to slow down Roseau that night was to hit, hit some more, hit with sticks, hit after the whistle and hit the goalie. It worked to perfection.
green4

Post by green4 »

The only thing I wonder about Lakeville is if they will be rusty. Yes, they had a very challenging schedule, but recently it has not been as tough.
They have played Prior Lake, Burnsville, South and Farmington, but those teams are not top tier really. North has not played a team as good as Hill in about 10 games or so. I think they will win and get to the championship game, but I am curious to see if there will be any rust.
buttend

Post by buttend »

green4 wrote:The only thing I wonder about Lakeville is if they will be rusty. Yes, they had a very challenging schedule, but recently it has not been as tough.
They have played Prior Lake, Burnsville, South and Farmington, but those teams are not top tier really. North has not played a team as good as Hill in about 10 games or so. I think they will win and get to the championship game, but I am curious to see if there will be any rust.
If North only could have played a schedule of top tier, top 15 teams like North St Paul, Mounds View, Stillwater, Simley, Henry Sibley and Tartan we would have been ready for the tournament. I thought for sure were going to beat 2 cake eater teams that wear green on our way to 31-0 in a single weekend. Because of our weak schedule we might be rusty? God I'm scared now!
hermantown2000

Post by hermantown2000 »

I think this is going to be a interesting match. Hill Murray seems to have gotten shafted by the coaches/selection committee. The Pioneers are better than their "unseeded" ranking". They should be seeded 3rd or 4th. I'll take North in a close and tension filled match. 4-3
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Hill-Murray was correctly seeded. They lost to Lakeville North, Edina (twice), Blaine and Eden Prairie. They split with St. Thomas. Lakeville North got the worst draw for the seeded teams. Hill-Murray is very capable of beating them and always seem to play better at State than at Sectionals.
Last edited by greenway1969 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
green4

Post by green4 »

buttend wrote:
green4 wrote:The only thing I wonder about Lakeville is if they will be rusty. Yes, they had a very challenging schedule, but recently it has not been as tough.
If North only could have played a schedule of top tier, top 15 teams like North St Paul, Mounds View, Stillwater, Simley, Henry Sibley and Tartan we would have been ready for the tournament. I thought for sure were going to beat 2 cake eater teams that wear green on our way to 31-0 in a single weekend. Because of our weak schedule we might be rusty? God I'm scared now!
You seem to struggle with literacy.
1) you used the word "we" and "our" to describe a hockey team that I can almost guarantee you are not apart of.
2) I Wrote how I thought they would still win and get to the championship.
3) You used the word weak when describing their schedule, not me. I picked the phrase "very challenging"

I was strictly wondering if there could be any rust. It really does not seem to be that absurd of a thought in my eyes.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Not sure there has been another team more ripe for the upset in the last 20 years. I'll take the Pioneers 3-1.
blueblood

Lakeville vs. Hill

Post by blueblood »

Panthers win a tight one 5-2 (en)
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

buttend wrote:
Teams can only play what their schedule allows. HM plays as difficult a non-conference schedule as possible. I suspect LN tries to do the same?

Rust is a legitimate question. I often felt that way about Hills schedule leading to sections/state. I've also felt that on occasion, when playing some of the teams you mentioned, that HM would mail it in a bit. Sometimes it's tough to shake off playing inferior teams, sometimes it's not.

I'm guessing LN won't necessarily be rusty so much as perhaps feelings the pressure of an undefeated season?

Many a team has been intimidated when faced with the evil empire.
:lol:
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
bauerman

Post by bauerman »

Hm got the best break they could by playing Lakeville , HM is talented but not up to most HM teams coach is totally overated but a nice guy this all adds up to a HM victory where everyone will praise St. Lechtner after the 1st game, and then they lose the next 2
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

The strength of both these teams is their defensemen. Expect a close game with Lakeville North winning 3-1
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

What can you say about this one. A debatable seed and luck of the dice puts the team most potentially capable of a first round Panther upset against the Panthers.

St Paul correctly sums up the likely Lechner strategy. And he is probably trying to convince his kids that they may just as well beat the Panthers in the first round, compared to what they were probably thinking might be the matchup in the semis.

But, Panthers have beaten this team already along with Hornets and Duluth East, that trio includes the three best AA coaches, and all others that faced them.

Perhaps five LVN kids passed up an early departure in anticipation of these upcoming 3 days. The kids, parents and coach are driven. No team or block of kids have ever been more hungry. I lingered a little at Shakopee arena on February 14 having just witnessed the first 25-0 season since the Rams 2008, but the LVN crowd beat me out the door seemingly thinking that was all Ok but.... on to the 31st.

Sidebar: this game is the dream game of all dream games for USA High School NHL DMEN scouts. 3 on DraftWatch list. Then there are also Alty and Mikey.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

WestMetro wrote:What can you say about this one.
I'm saying that this just might be another 2012 topsy-turvey all the top seeds end up losing kind of years.

Three or five years ago, we might have seen this same prime time pairing, only with home and away sweaters switched out. Tough draw for the Panthers...it almost makes you think that the "random" draw has actually been random. Otherwise, it would have been Bemidji playing LN.
Two minutes for...embellishment (ding!)
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Does LVN have 6 appearances as Lakeville North, or is Karl including Lakeville's appearances?

"Not sure there has been another team more ripe for the upset in the last 20 years. I'll take the Pioneers 3-1."

See 2008 Roseau Rams, #1 seed and defending champs.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Lakeville North will have 6 trips as North, they had 3 as Lakeville High. South opened for the 2005-2006 school year I believe.
hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey »

I believe they also beat HILLs #1 ranked team last year (with many of the same top layers esp the stud first line and that Defenseman.

so have to say 4-1 Lakeville. hill struggles to score.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

goldy313 wrote:Lakeville North will have 6 trips as North, they had 3 as Lakeville High. South opened for the 2005-2006 school year I believe.
Semantics. There was one Lakeville high school that went 3 times. Then it broke up into two schools, North and South. The fact that the newly created Lakeville North High school remained in the building that formerly housed LHS doesn't give it any more rights to the former school's titles and history than Lakeville South has.

Counting your way, Edina's first trip wasn't until 1981, since the current high school uses the same building that was built to open "Edina West" back in 1972.
Two minutes for...embellishment (ding!)
Tron

Post by Tron »

4-1 LN. Some have said that HM knows what to do in State, no doubt about that. But so does LN with last years run. Anything can happen at state, but I think the only way LN hoists the AA State title is through the Jolly Green Giants from the SW Metro.
whos_it

Post by whos_it »

Bill Lechner ..... enough said :P
Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone »

almostashappy wrote:
goldy313 wrote:Lakeville North will have 6 trips as North, they had 3 as Lakeville High. South opened for the 2005-2006 school year I believe.
Semantics. There was one Lakeville high school that went 3 times. Then it broke up into two schools, North and South. The fact that the newly created Lakeville North High school remained in the building that formerly housed LHS doesn't give it any more rights to the former school's titles and history than Lakeville South has.

Counting your way, Edina's first trip wasn't until 1981, since the current high school uses the same building that was built to open "Edina West" back in 1972.
Completely agree!
dwanmaster

Post by dwanmaster »

Nice to see Pierre-Marc Bouchard has found work reffereing after his hockey career