USAH safe sport training for coaches

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

"In addition to Policies, the SafeSport Handbook includes the available and required Training of USA Hockey and its Member Programs’ employees, volunteers, administrators, coaches, parents and players on recognizing and reducing circumstances for potential abuse to occur; "

This topic has been beat to death and at this point, JSR, you aren't making much sense other than you seem to be arguing for the sake of arguing. SECoach, it's easy to say that this training is great, and everybody should be required to do it, and if you are against it than you must be some thug coach who probably shouldn't be around kids anyway. At least that is the vibe I am getting around here, maybe not from you but there are others.

I am not arguing against the programs content, its goal, or its intent. I actually think the cause is noble. My issue with it is the effects it has on volunteer organizations. I just think it is getting to be too much. It can be difficult to get volunteers, with increased requirements it becomes even more difficult.

Look at the bolded part of the quote above; volunteers, administrators, coaches, parents, players. I read that as being anybody and everybody involved in youth hockey with USAHockey is required to take the SafeSport training, from board members, to players, parents...everybody. They might as well link it to the USAHockey registration site and make it a requirement to take the online course prior to clicking "Pay". Oh what am I talking about, of course you could hit "Pay" first, just that before your registration number is issued you have to take the class. Silly me.
JSR

Post by JSR »

SECoach wrote:
JSR wrote:
SECoach wrote: Good coaches don't need it? Should we leave it for you to decide who is a good coach? I'm not confident in your point of view on who is a good coach, and I would guess you are not confident in mine.

Where this is going in my opinion is that you need to brush up on the requirements, maybe even spend the time taking the required training, and then render your opinion and your point of view. I still may not agree, but I would at least give it a little value.
You are right, I am not..... BUT what if we did use YOUR opinion on what a good coach is... again you just made my point. The good coaches don't "need it" and the bad ones won't pay attention to it, nor will the bad coaches be turning themselves in. Further this stuff can also apply to teammates but IMHO even a good coach can only do so much amongst teammates. So the question is really, who is this for and what is it trying to accomplish. Well, seems to me the players, parents, and board are the ones who should be taking it so they can determine who is a good coach and who is not and use it so they can either help guide and teach those coaches or get rid of them. But again, I don't see how this helps if those people are not being required to take it. Even if I thought I should take it, even if I thought it might help shed some light on some things for me, at the end of the day the people evauating my coaching, the people who actually need to know what to look for are the parents and players (and maybe board members) as they are the ones who ultimately hold the coaches and teammates responsible.... just making the coaches take this does nothing if you ask me if no one else is held accountable, and maybe coaches like myself wouldn't rail against it so hard if the parents started having to take these courses just to allow their kids to participate, seems like what is good for the goose is good for the gander (just imagine if a parent had to take these courses just so their kid could play)..... I have gone to the site and visited many of the pages and read what they are trying to do and honestly I don't agree with their opinion on some of it, some of it is good, alot of it is common sense but a small portion of it I don't agree with and I don't get why I am being force fed other peoples values when they are not my own?? As long as they are not illegal I was under the assumption that we still lived in a free country where we could find places that share our common values, those places being within our communities and our hockey community down here shouldn't have to look exactly the same as yours up there (I could go on a big rant about that)........ That said, your value of my opinion is something I do not lose any sleep over, thank you

P.S. Why do you keep saying "required training", I have yet to receive a single communication from USA Hockey or WAHA telling me that this will be "required" in order to coach this upcoming season, nor can I find any evidence on the USA Hockey site where this is "required" for the up coming season. Why do you keep saying "required". Maybe it will be in the future, or very soon but near as I can tell it is not right now..... until then your opinion is moot anyway :?
I don't know, maybe WAHA will be joining AAU?

From an 8 second search on USAHOCKEY.com

In addition to Policies, the SafeSport Handbook includes the available and required Training of USA Hockey and its Member Programs’ employees, volunteers, administrators, coaches, parents and players on recognizing and reducing circumstances for potential abuse to occur; information on USA Hockey’s Screening and Background Check Program; the availability and procedures for any person to Report suspected abuse or misconduct (including protections from any retaliation or repercussions for such reporting); the procedures and means by which USA Hockey and its Member Programs should Respond to allegations of abuse and misconduct; and how USA Hockey and its Member Programs will Monitor and Supervise the SafeSport Program to help ensure its effectiveness.

I can understand how one could argue against the general policy of required training modules, however it is beyond me how one can argue the value and effectiveness of material they have not viewed and are not familiar with. Just likes a good argument I guess (although a weak position).

Another friendly reminder that USA Hockey, as well as other governing bodies have been required by the USOC to develop, require, and implement this training.
I spent ten minutes scouring the Coaches area of usahockey.com , that is the area that tells us everything we are supposed to do that is "required" for us to coach this upcoming season. There is NOTHING in that area about this subject.

It is beyond me how a person can argue that their OPINION is the only OPINION that is right on a subject and that no other opinions on the subject have any merit...... and now you know why I am continuing to argue with you, there is nothing wrong with having your opinion, it's the fact you think yours is the only one that is right that rubs the wrong way.............. :arrow:

P.S. earlier you were quite admant over "this must stop" and "this is unacceptable" etc... what is 'this", I mean safesport covers a rather wide array of topics I never quite understood what the "this" was?
Last edited by JSR on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
JSR

Post by JSR »

SCBlueLiner wrote:"In addition to Policies, the SafeSport Handbook includes the available and required Training of USA Hockey and its Member Programs’ employees, volunteers, administrators, coaches, parents and players on recognizing and reducing circumstances for potential abuse to occur; "

This topic has been beat to death and at this point, JSR, you aren't making much sense other than you seem to be arguing for the sake of arguing. SECoach, it's easy to say that this training is great, and everybody should be required to do it, and if you are against it than you must be some thug coach who probably shouldn't be around kids anyway. At least that is the vibe I am getting around here, maybe not from you but there are others.

I am not arguing against the programs content, its goal, or its intent. I actually think the cause is noble. My issue with it is the effects it has on volunteer organizations. I just think it is getting to be too much. It can be difficult to get volunteers, with increased requirements it becomes even more difficult.

Look at the bolded part of the quote above; volunteers, administrators, coaches, parents, players. I read that as being anybody and everybody involved in youth hockey with USAHockey is required to take the SafeSport training, from board members, to players, parents...everybody. They might as well link it to the USAHockey registration site and make it a requirement to take the online course prior to clicking "Pay". Oh what am I talking about, of course you could hit "Pay" first, just that before your registration number is issued you have to take the class. Silly me.
I find nothing that does not make sense. Where can I help clarify?
SECoach

Post by SECoach »

JSR wrote:
SECoach wrote:
JSR wrote: You are right, I am not..... BUT what if we did use YOUR opinion on what a good coach is... again you just made my point. The good coaches don't "need it" and the bad ones won't pay attention to it, nor will the bad coaches be turning themselves in. Further this stuff can also apply to teammates but IMHO even a good coach can only do so much amongst teammates. So the question is really, who is this for and what is it trying to accomplish. Well, seems to me the players, parents, and board are the ones who should be taking it so they can determine who is a good coach and who is not and use it so they can either help guide and teach those coaches or get rid of them. But again, I don't see how this helps if those people are not being required to take it. Even if I thought I should take it, even if I thought it might help shed some light on some things for me, at the end of the day the people evauating my coaching, the people who actually need to know what to look for are the parents and players (and maybe board members) as they are the ones who ultimately hold the coaches and teammates responsible.... just making the coaches take this does nothing if you ask me if no one else is held accountable, and maybe coaches like myself wouldn't rail against it so hard if the parents started having to take these courses just to allow their kids to participate, seems like what is good for the goose is good for the gander (just imagine if a parent had to take these courses just so their kid could play)..... I have gone to the site and visited many of the pages and read what they are trying to do and honestly I don't agree with their opinion on some of it, some of it is good, alot of it is common sense but a small portion of it I don't agree with and I don't get why I am being force fed other peoples values when they are not my own?? As long as they are not illegal I was under the assumption that we still lived in a free country where we could find places that share our common values, those places being within our communities and our hockey community down here shouldn't have to look exactly the same as yours up there (I could go on a big rant about that)........ That said, your value of my opinion is something I do not lose any sleep over, thank you

P.S. Why do you keep saying "required training", I have yet to receive a single communication from USA Hockey or WAHA telling me that this will be "required" in order to coach this upcoming season, nor can I find any evidence on the USA Hockey site where this is "required" for the up coming season. Why do you keep saying "required". Maybe it will be in the future, or very soon but near as I can tell it is not right now..... until then your opinion is moot anyway :?
I don't know, maybe WAHA will be joining AAU?

In addition to Policies, the SafeSport Handbook includes the available and required Training of USA Hockey and its Member Programs’ employees, volunteers, administrators, coaches, parents and players on recognizing and reducing circumstances for potential abuse to occur; information on USA Hockey’s Screening and Background Check Program; the availability and procedures for any person to Report suspected abuse or misconduct (including protections from any retaliation or repercussions for such reporting); the procedures and means by which USA Hockey and its Member Programs should Respond to allegations of abuse and misconduct; and how USA Hockey and its Member Programs will Monitor and Supervise the SafeSport Program to help ensure its effectiveness.

I can understand how one could argue against the general policy of required training modules, however it is beyond me how one can argue the value and effectiveness of material they have not viewed and are not familiar with. Just likes a good argument I guess (although a weak position).

Another friendly reminder that USA Hockey, as well as other governing bodies have been required by the USOC to develop, require, and implement this training.
I spent ten minutes scouring the Coaches area of usahockey.com , that is the area that tells us everything we are supposed to do that is "required" for us to coach this upcoming season. There is NOTHING in that area about this subject.

It is beyond me how a person can argue that their OPINION is the only OPINION that is right on a subject and that no other opinions on the subject have any merit...... and now you know why I am continuing to argue with you, there is nothing wrong with having your opinion, it's the fact you think yours is the only one that is right that rubs the wrong way.............. :arrow:

P.S. earlier you were quite admant over "this must stop" and "this is unacceptable" etc... what is 'this", I mean safesport covers a rather wide array of topics I never quite understood what the "this" was?
http://www.usahockey.com/page/show/9080 ... rt-program

If you truly wish to know, take the training that is or will be required, or at least examine the material, and it will answer all your questions of what "this" is.

I cannot determine from you post whether you really can't find the material, or whether you are commenting on USA Hockey for not currently having a line item specifying what your requirements are. It is surely possible that Minnesota Hockey is simply ahead of the game on it. I can't speak as to why you haven't heard about it. I do feel pretty confident that you will.

I surely don't want to leave you with the impression that my opinion, or point of view, is the absolute truth or is the only right view. I can say however that I believe that the only way we experience the world is through our own, always subjective, never objective experience of the world. It's the only one that I can or do know. This means that yes, with such a drastically different point of view, I often cannot understand yours. All this means is that my experience and subjective view of that experience, has been different than yours. You cannot experience mine, and I cannot experience yours, or anyone else's for that matter. If I express my point of view with vigor at times, I sincerely apologize if that is taken as believing that your point of view is any less valuable than mine. I don't see it your way, but I understand and appreciate that you see it differently.

The same thing applies when you state that the information in your posts is "intelligent". It surely may be from your subjective point of view. From mine, it often is not, and of course the opposite is likely true for you.

I don't believe the requirements for Safesport training are a matter of point of view. I think they are a matter of having the information or not having it, but then that's just my point of view.

I will leave the Safesport thread at this point, but would be happy to have a metaphysical conversation with you on a thread about why you and I see things differently.
JSR

Post by JSR »

SECoach wrote:
JSR wrote:
SECoach wrote: I don't know, maybe WAHA will be joining AAU?

If you truly wish to know, take the training that is or will be required, or at least examine the material, and it will answer all your questions of what "this" is.

I cannot determine from you post whether you really can't find the material, or whether you are commenting on USA Hockey for not currently having a line item specifying what your requirements are. It is surely possible that Minnesota Hockey is simply ahead of the game on it. I can't speak as to why you haven't heard about it. I do feel pretty confident that you will.

I surely don't want to leave you with the impression that my opinion, or point of view, is the absolute truth or is the only right view. I can say however that I believe that the only way we experience the world is through our own, always subjective, never objective experience of the world. It's the only one that I can or do know. This means that yes, with such a drastically different point of view, I often cannot understand yours. All this means is that my experience and subjective view of that experience, has been different than yours. You cannot experience mine, and I cannot experience yours, or anyone else's for that matter. If I express my point of view with vigor at times, I sincerely apologize if that is taken as believing that your point of view is any less valuable than mine. I don't see it your way, but I understand and appreciate that you see it differently.

The same thing applies when you state that the information in your posts is "intelligent". It surely may be from your subjective point of view. From mine, it often is not, and of course the opposite is likely true for you.

I don't believe the requirements for Safesport training are a matter of point of view. I think they are a matter of having the information or not having it, but then that's just my point of view.

I will leave the Safesport thread at this point, but would be happy to have a metaphysical conversation with you on a thread about why you and I see things differently.
I did examine the material, it's why I know that it covers a wide array of topics, from sexual abuse, to bullying to verbal abuse etc... etc... those are all completely different subjects and you used the word "this", the word "this" when used in the context you used it in refers to ONE thing not many things. Hence why I asked you what "this" is. I to am done with the topic.
JSR

Post by JSR »

SECoach wrote:
JSR wrote:
SECoach wrote: I don't know, maybe WAHA will be joining AAU?

Ok SECoach, I received an email today from USA Hockey with the info regarding their "requirement" for coaches to take the course. So I took the training, got 100% on every single quiz and the "final exam" and got my certificate of completion.... and I haven't changed my mind on a single thing I wrote in this thread. The course was a majority of common sense and the rest I have seen and learned in a dozen other areas of coaching and life. I could have gotten 100% without watching any of the videos... hence why it didn't change my mind... again if you really wanted to use this course for "change" then you'd require the players and parents to take the course and not jsut the coaches
SECoach

Post by SECoach »

JSR wrote:
SECoach wrote:
JSR wrote: I spent ten minutes scouring the Coaches area of usahockey.com , that is the area that tells us everything we are supposed to do that is "required" for us to coach this upcoming season. There is NOTHING in that area about this subject.

Ok SECoach, I received an email today from USA Hockey with the info regarding their "requirement" for coaches to take the course. So I took the training, got 100% on every single quiz and the "final exam" and got my certificate of completion.... and I haven't changed my mind on a single thing I wrote in this thread. The course was a majority of common sense and the rest I have seen and learned in a dozen other areas of coaching and life. I could have gotten 100% without watching any of the videos... hence why it didn't change my mind... again if you really wanted to use this course for "change" then you'd require the players and parents to take the course and not jsut the coaches
No offense intended, but I've decided that my life would be more peaceful without you in it, and so that's the way I intend to keep it. Thanks for your understanding. You're mean and a bully......oh and also that other thing....narci...something
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

Oh will you two just kiss already?

The sexual tension in here is staggering.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

The sideshow was entertaining(????) but to move this topic forward, does anybody know how USA Hockey is going to track which coaches have taken the SafeSport training? Will they add something to the USAH CEP List like they did for module completion? Or are they going to put the tracking back on the local associations? I already have some of my coaches asking me what to do with their completion certificates.
JSR

Post by JSR »

SCBlueLiner wrote:The sideshow was entertaining(????) but to move this topic forward, does anybody know how USA Hockey is going to track which coaches have taken the SafeSport training? Will they add something to the USAH CEP List like they did for module completion? Or are they going to put the tracking back on the local associations? I already have some of my coaches asking me what to do with their completion certificates.
While it does not specifically say it, making your question a reasonable one, having gone through it, I assumed that it is electronically communicated just like the online modules or online level re-cert is etc... Perhaps that is a poor assumption but considering the videos and testing work very similar to the modules and re-cert it seemed like a reasonable assumption. I think the certificate is for your records just in case something gets screwed up, again just an assumption, nothing to back it up
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

You will notice that I am deleting things. If it keeps going, I will start banning people. I don't care "who started it," either.

If it's that important to you, go find somewhere else to have your little catfight.
Northern Ref

Post by Northern Ref »

JSR wrote:
NextGoalWins wrote:I have to say that I agree with the safe sport training. Yes another stream of videos but they do make a point and bring a common theme to those that are going to volunteer.

JSR you are a pillar of your hockey community and that's a great thing but many volunteers and coaches aren't as thoughtful, giving or come with a mindset that is in the best interest of the youth.

Setting standards and expectations that promote positive nurturing and development are good things even if they look like a bunch of red tape.

I too spend a lot of hours supporting the community. I also see some real idiot coaches and parents that bring a very dysfunctional atmosphere to the mix. Knowing that the people that are involved with the kids are all subjected to these themes helps bring a level of accountability to everyone.
Ok, let's say I buy into your premise that these videos are "good". Based on everything I have read and seen it sounds like this is backwards then. To me it sounds like the parents, players and board members are the ones who should be required to watch these videos and not the coaches. I mean it was established above that the good coaches don't really need it and the bad ones will ignore it and won't change on their own, so really it's up to everyone else to identify it so they can change it and remove the bad apples. BUT the parents, players and board members are not the ones being asked to and being required to watch it and do the training, it's just the coaches.... do you see where this is going????
Let's not forget officials must watch this too. Makes more sense for coaches to than it does officials. Get over yourself and just do it.
wannagototherink

Post by wannagototherink »

zooomx wrote:
Blueliner16 wrote:JSR you hit the nail on the head. Most of our assoc volunteers are the same people. Everyone complains coaches shouldn't be on the board but nobody else steps up. Most people fail to realize how much time and money we spend to coach your kid. We do it because we love it and want to see all of our kids develop. It's the damn parents that stand on their soap box and can't even say "THANK YOU" at the end of the season

I am a level 4 coach and most of my education in coaching has come from when I played and the coaches I have played for and doing hours of research on my own. Not the hours I spent on weekends going to USA Hockey's clinics
This... I don't understand. In our very healthy hockey association, we have some very experienced, very talented, very knowledgeable coaches who are constantly talking about how USA Hockey has provided a great blueprint for developing our players. These are coaches who played at a very high level and know the game. I have never heard of a parent who was interested in coaching, choose not to due to the coaching requirements of USA hockey. Are you honestly saying as a level 4 coach you have learned nothing from USA Hockey? Hard to believe.

I don't coach hockey, but I serve on our board. I, and many other parents do say "thank you" to the coaches all the time. As a baseball coach, I never ask for a "thank you", nor do I expect one. I coach because I enjoy it, and I want to give back to the game. So, are coaches on this forum just venting? (somewhat understandable)

I am sure there are probably many you deal with in your association who do appreciate your efforts. I think, reading between the lines, the bigger issue is whether or not associations and the governing boards do enough to compensate volunteer coaches for out of pocket costs. Or, do we do enough to recognize the extreme efforts put out by coaches. A unhealthy relationship between board of directors and hockey/coaches committee seems to be a common source of such angst. I just don't see USA Hockey or Minnesota Hockey as the villains. Just my humble opinion.
I'm a level 5 coach and while I wouldn't say I've learned nothing, I will say this, what I have invested into coaching classes both financially and time wise is not worth the education I have received. I think most of us who coach wouldn't mind these requirements as much if they were actually worth it. I understand the level 1 having to be how it is because you might get someone who has never played hockey and you will need a remedial class for someone like that. I spent probably $2000 dollars between symposium and travel to get my level 5. Not required, I went because I wanted to. It was an absolute waste of time. It would take me 1000 words to explain all the reasons why but it was and I love this stuff. The other big problem I have with all this stuff is, you pay premium dollar for it, and if you do learn about something you want to implement you have no access to it once you are done...at least not lasting access. If they want these resources to be helpful you shouldn't have to pay to see them. Pay to test out of it but that resource should always be available to you.

I am anticipating Safe Sport to be about the same. I'll watch it because I have to but I don't expect it to be some great enlightening afternoon. Like I said, I love this stuff, I love learning about the game and I take the time on my own to do so. With that being said, all of the other BS that it takes to volunteer my time is getting old and taxing. It is to bad because I still enjoy working with the kids but I think SE might be right, it is probably time to get out of youth hockey.
"I've never seen a dumb-bell score a goal!" ~Gretter
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

wannagototherink wrote:I'm a level 5 coach and while I wouldn't say I've learned nothing, I will say this, what I have invested into coaching classes both financially and time wise is not worth the education I have received. I think most of us who coach wouldn't mind these requirements as much if they were actually worth it.

I am anticipating Safe Sport to be about the same. I'll watch it because I have to but I don't expect it to be some great enlightening afternoon.
this is always intriguing to me. attain the holy grail of coaching with nothing left to learn. there are so many coaches (people) out there like this. You might already know everything there is to know but....

USA hockey is developing hockey...nationwide...and if you look close enough you are seeing more and more non traditional regions, states and towns becoming competitive.

There is more competitive balance now than ever before, in large part due to USA hockey efforts to grow the game.

True stewards of sport (or whatever) are always looking to make the game better, coach better, interact better etc...
wannagototherink

Post by wannagototherink »

black sheep wrote:
wannagototherink wrote:I'm a level 5 coach and while I wouldn't say I've learned nothing, I will say this, what I have invested into coaching classes both financially and time wise is not worth the education I have received. I think most of us who coach wouldn't mind these requirements as much if they were actually worth it.

I am anticipating Safe Sport to be about the same. I'll watch it because I have to but I don't expect it to be some great enlightening afternoon.
this is always intriguing to me. attain the holy grail of coaching with nothing left to learn. there are so many coaches (people) out there like this. You might already know everything there is to know but....

USA hockey is developing hockey...nationwide...and if you look close enough you are seeing more and more non traditional regions, states and towns becoming competitive.

There is more competitive balance now than ever before, in large part due to USA hockey efforts to grow the game
True stewards of sport (or whatever) are always looking to make the game better, coach better, interact better etc...
Listen, it is one thing to use someones quote to criticize their opinion but it is another thing when don't use the entire quote, omitting a section of the quote to make your point. Brutal. I do seek out continuing education for the game because I enjoy it.

I believe the original question on this thread was about finding ways to possibly improve a certain program that effects all of us...seems reasonable to me. I mean after all, isn't the point of getting coaches certified in the first place a way to improve the program? Like it or not, the current system is flawed. There should be input from the actual people that are on the rinks with these kids day in and day out. How many of those high ranking, decision making heads at USA hockey have actually coached at a youth level? I don't know the answer to that and I'm certainly not trying to say they don't have the knowledge to do what they do for USA hockey but I would argue the folks that are actually at the rinks with the kids have a pretty valid opinion on certain things. It reminds me of a quote from the movie Tommy Boy, something about a cow, a butcher and the cow's backside? I guess if you have a problem with people sharing their opinions on how to improve the program that is used to improve coaches then you have reached a level of hypocrisy that far exceeds anything I can comprehend.
"I've never seen a dumb-bell score a goal!" ~Gretter
black sheep

Post by black sheep »

wannagototherink wrote: I believe the original question on this thread was about finding ways to possibly improve a certain program that effects all of us...seems reasonable to me.
the original question was, "Mandatory training in safesport for coaches and board members that oversee coaches...."

IF you can take 30 minutes of your year to potentially save a kid from a devastating encounter...why would you not?

IF you can take 30 minutes of your year to properly diagnose a kid with a concussion...why would you not?

IF you can take 30 minutes of your year to learn to use a AED to save a player or a parent...why would you not?

These things become mandatory because people do not have the TIME or in some cases the resolve to understand there are new methodologies that can improve safety.

Thankfully I have only had to use any of the three examples above to diagnose concussion symptoms...and I would never have been able to do it properly if the training I took had not been MANDATORY.

If you left ALL of USA hockey's coaching clinics as voluntary how many coaches would actually attend...10% because the rest already know it all.
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

Well said black sheep...
sometimes it's easy to forget how a perceived chore may have some benefit
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

My take has always been that while requiring Safesport is a noble cause I feel it is too far reaching. The ever increasing requirements are making it difficult to raise the pool of volunteers in what are volunteer hockey organizations.

The people required to take Safesport is any volunteer who has "more than minimal contact" with a player. Coaches, on the front lines and have the most interaction with players, obvious that they should take the training. I won't bother to argue whether coaches should be required to take the class (they should) other than to say there are some "coaches" who are hockey dads who do nothing more than step on the ice in a Mite practice to help move cones around and set up stations for the next drill. Increased certification requirements prohibit these types of people from volunteering and getting involved in the organization.

Our association was told that every volunteer, from coaches and board members, to hockey moms who run the scoreboard, provide car pooling, and volunteer the concession stand will have to take the Safesport class. Basically, anybody who has more than "minimal contact" with players, all volunteers...which is EVERYBODY, every parent in our association. Now, how are we going to run an organization when our pool of volunteers becomes limited due to this requirement? What about the effect on those of us who are certified? Are we going to have to do everything around the rink?

So my beef is not with the content. I actually agree that if me taking 2 1/2 hours out of my life to watch the videos and take the quizes saves one kid from being hurt then it is worth it. My beef is with what it is going to do volunteerism.
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

My understanding is this training is required for anyone whom has more than minimal contact with the players. Please correct me if this is inaccurate.

Our assocation is requiring this training be done by ALL parents of players. Each parent has to submit their own certificate of completion.

Any other assocations with this same requirement, or just required for coaches, managers, board members?
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

MWS coach wrote:My understanding is this training is required for anyone whom has more than minimal contact with the players. Please correct me if this is inaccurate.

Our assocation is requiring this training be done by ALL parents of players. Each parent has to submit their own certificate of completion.

Any other assocations with this same requirement, or just required for coaches, managers, board members?
Yep, that is what is happening at our association.

This season will be a great case study. Next out of town tournament we go to, I am waiting for the request to have a parent come handle the penalty box. Then I am waiting for the host associaiton to request that parents SafeSport Certification. That will tell me if this is truly serious.
eddie coyle

Re: USAH safe sport training for coaches

Post by eddie coyle »

An unbelievable waste of time. Could have accomplished the same points in 1/10th of the time. How much free time does USA Hockey think volunteers have??? 16 years coaching, you know what I did? I hit "play" and walked away. The kids I coach are just as safe. Not to get into gun control debate, but this is the EXACT same thing. Criminals with guns are the problem. Well meaning solution (that allows the politically correct to avoid addressing the REAL problem children)?? Sure, more & more regulation on legal, behaving gun owners. This training will not stop ONE abuser, why? Because criminals don't follow the rules.