District 2 AA teams.

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ogelthorpe

Post by ogelthorpe »

[/quote]

I don't see how everyone could not see this coming.

I am honestly curious as to what the people on the side of creating this new (call it what it is) naming system thought this would do?

What on earth was it going to change? Seriously, what could the outcome had been otherwise? Please someone tell me what the "powers-that-be" were directing this towards.[/quote]

This was the obvious outcome once they allowed AA associations to also have A level teams. The original intent was to keep everything the same same during the season and then have a AA tourney for "big" associations and an A tournament for "small" associations based on HS classification. So that way AA and A were A for all intents and purposes letting A and AA associations to play each other all year, but letting the small associations the opportunity to make it to state. Good intentions gone wrong.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

Well there is a simple fix to this. Simply require AA associations to go AA, B1, B2, C and require A associations to go A, B1, B2, C, the number of teams at each level is up to the association. Don't allow AA associations to field A level teams. Problem solved.
ogelthorpe

Post by ogelthorpe »

Correct SC, but they actually now made it even worse with the seeding process for AA. Now AA teams don't want to play A teams because of the negative impact on the seeding.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Go back to the "old" way. Make a rule that assc w/ over 90/100 kids at a level must carry two A teams. Or something like that. With the current system I see big co-ops in th future.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Just found out D2 will have a district playoff. From what I can tell that would be four teams @ bantam. three teams @pee-wee. Double elim ??? ](*,)
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

old goalie85 wrote:Just found out D2 will have a district playoff. From what I can tell that would be four teams @ bantam. three teams @pee-wee. Double elim ??? ](*,)
But that renders the regular season as meaningless. Wait? What? Were we discussing college football here or youth hockey?

Pool play with a double elimination tournament that includes a back door entry into the championship game via round robin tournament with an inverted seeding process. Or just watch the movie BASEketball and use their tournament format.
ogelthorpe

Post by ogelthorpe »

old goalie85 wrote:Just found out D2 will have a district playoff. From what I can tell that would be four teams @ bantam. three teams @pee-wee. Double elim ??? ](*,)
The issue is that D2 has one auto bid to the AA regional tournament. Their teams are playing in other districts (8 & 10) for the regular season. How are they suppose to award the bid without a tournament? YHH rankings? OG's whim? Have karl write an article laying out the plus/minus of each of the four teams followed by a fan vote?
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

4 team play-off at both levels.