Conflict of interest??

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Teamusa1980

Conflict of interest??

Post by Teamusa1980 »

I would like to pose this question to the forum: Our association is conducting our board member election next week. A candidate for our Traveling Director sends his kid (peewee) to NE and MM Choice. In addition, he does have 2 other sons (squirts) that do participate within the association. My question is should this person be allowed to sit on a board and govern the membership when a member of his own household does not even participate within the association at the youth level? Thoughts??
JSR

Re: Conflict of interest??

Post by JSR »

Teamusa1980 wrote:I would like to pose this question to the forum: Our association is conducting our board member election next week. A candidate for our Traveling Director sends his kid (peewee) to NE and MM Choice. In addition, he does have 2 other sons (squirts) that do participate within the association. My question is should this person be allowed to sit on a board and govern the membership when a member of his own household does not even participate within the association at the youth level? Thoughts??
If people vote for him because he is doing a good job absolutely he has the "right" to sit on the board. In reality in our association we encourage people to become "boosters" for $20 annual membership fees. Those people do not have any kids even in youth hockey and they are allowed to run for board positions. In fact one of our board members fits that profile currently and he does an excellent job. Down here I personally have a squirt who plays for our association and an older boy who plays Tier 1 AAA hockey for a Tier 1 program and I currently sit on our board. There is no conflict of interest at all. I want our association to be as good as it can possibly be, anyone with half a brain would want that as eventually the kids in the association will become my son(s') high school teammates. Tier 1 helps my older son now because our level of coaching and playing ability aqre not commensurate with his so he plays elsewhere, but it doesn't mean I don't want the association to die, I want it to be better so maybe someday they won't lose kids to Tier 1. To be on a board of directors you should have a long view of the program, note just a short view of what it can or can't do for your own child. People who site on baords for that purpose do not belong on the board... so long story short, yes he belongs as long as e is doing a good job for the program. Just because one kid skates elsewhere doesn't mean he isn't trying to help the association become better.... :idea:
Last edited by JSR on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
50cent

Re: Conflict of interest??

Post by 50cent »

Teamusa1980 wrote:I would like to pose this question to the forum: Our association is conducting our board member election next week. A candidate for our Traveling Director sends his kid (peewee) to NE and MM Choice. In addition, he does have 2 other sons (squirts) that do participate within the association. My question is should this person be allowed to sit on a board and govern the membership when a member of his own household does not even participate within the association at the youth level? Thoughts??
Stop Bitchin about poor Edina. Yes this DAD should be able to SIT on the board without crys of help coming from you.
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

He has two kids in the program, why wouldn't he be able to hold a position on the board? Because one of his children are playing at NE and Choice? Not sure what the conflict of interest is, please tell me where you feel there is conflict. NE or MM kids will not face assocation teams. While you may not like that one of his children are participating outside of association, it does not really create a conflict in my opinion.

Not allowing him to seek election for role on board seems to be more of a conflict in my opinion. All of your kids have to play association hockey or you will not be allowed to_________ Fill in the blank.

Would you feel differently if kid playing NE/MM wanted to play Rec League? Not in assocation, so other then skill level and commitment, not really any different.

From information provided, just appears you (and likely others) want the kid to play for association, but since he is not you want to limit options. Seem kind of contridictory to me. You can't have a choice where you play, if you make a decision to play outside of assocation, we will limit your choices on what you can do with volunteering your time with in the assocation.

Just my two cents.
thespellchecker

Post by thespellchecker »

Perhaps voting him to the board will assist the association to improve retention and recruitment? At least the "hush kid" doesn't play basketball.

I know what Phil Housley would have done. However, Stillwater did make the tourney immediately after he left.
about22pandas

Post by about22pandas »

The parent is fine to sit on the board - I don't see the problem.

I dealt with a similar situation this year. I coached peewees and one of my players was from a different association. His mom is the president of the association. They have a squirt who stays within their organization, however for their older son, the one I coached, they chose to send them down here because of the situation at the peewee level.

Everyone has their reasons for putting their kid somewhere else, doesn't mean they couldn't serve on a board.
Clarkkent

Post by Clarkkent »

Vote for the best person for the spot. Where kids play is irrelevant.