Section 7AA 2013-2014?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Traxler

Post by Traxler »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Slammer wrote:I'd be concerned as a Rapids fan, when a team that can barely get past Apple Valley, blew out your team at your home rink. 8) :lol:
2007. How did that blow out win work for East?
Not as well as it worked in 1995, 1998, 2003, 2004, 2011, or 2013.

1995: DE 3, GR 2 (Dave Spehar GWG in the 3rd period)
1998: DE 2, GR 0 (GR only team to beat East that season)
2003: DE 2, GR 1 (Tom Knutson OT GWG)
2004: DE 5, GR 2 (was 2-2 at some point in the 3rd)
2007: GR 5, DE 4 (Patrick White OT GWG)
2011: DE 2, GR 1 (East ties it with 1:30 to go, Trevor Olson GWG in OT)
2013: DE 4, GR 3
Frequent_MN_Flyer

Post by Frequent_MN_Flyer »

Just keep reminding Rapids players they lost 5-0 to East.

Good ingredient for crow stew.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

I often wonder how many high school hockey players are on this forum. I would imagine that a forum is technology that isn't exciting or hip enough for a teenager. Wouldn't they rather be using facebook, twitter, foursquare, instagram, etc.?
Frequent_MN_Flyer

Traxler wrote:I often wonder how many high school hockey players are on this forum. I would imagine that a forum is technology that isn't exciting or hip enough for a teenager. Wouldn't they rather be using facebook, twitter, foursquare, instagram, etc.?
My time in high school I remember talking to players in class...
And believe me... They are MORE than aware.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Frequent_MN_Flyer wrote:
Traxler wrote:I often wonder how many high school hockey players are on this forum. I would imagine that a forum is technology that isn't exciting or hip enough for a teenager. Wouldn't they rather be using facebook, twitter, foursquare, instagram, etc.?
My time in high school I remember talking to players in class...
And believe me... They are MORE than aware.
When I was in high school the internet didn't exist. It was all bulletin board systems, listservs, and telnet. I'm not sure when you were in high school, but back in my day, only the "nerds" were following anything similar to a forum like this today.

Were you in high school in the 2000s? in the late 90s? I can only imagine today kids don't know about it unless it's tweeted. Maybe I'm wrong, if I am I would love some high school student to respond to this. :)
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

I was still in high school when I started posting on here, and I can confirm that the players are aware of this place. Sure, most players don't read it, but if just a couple on a team are reading, it won't be too long before the rest of the locker room knows what's being said on here. Not to mention what parents say to their kids after reading...

This forum has certainly evolved over the years; the advent of the Hub and FollowThePuck has made it less of a place to go for scores and stats, and Twitter has (rather mercifully) become the place where high school kids go to do their trash talk now. (Not that there haven't been/still are intelligent high school-aged posters on here.) Page view counts are still consistent/going up, though, so someone out there is reading.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Traxler wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Slammer wrote:I'd be concerned as a Rapids fan, when a team that can barely get past Apple Valley, blew out your team at your home rink. 8) :lol:
2007. How did that blow out win work for East?
Not as well as it worked in 1995, 1998, 2003, 2004, 2011, or 2013.

1995: DE 3, GR 2 (Dave Spehar GWG in the 3rd period)
1998: DE 2, GR 0 (GR only team to beat East that season)
2003: DE 2, GR 1 (Tom Knutson OT GWG)
2004: DE 5, GR 2 (was 2-2 at some point in the 3rd)
2007: GR 5, DE 4 (Patrick White OT GWG)
2011: DE 2, GR 1 (East ties it with 1:30 to go, Trevor Olson GWG in OT)
2013: DE 4, GR 3
Rapids fans love hearing about 2011 about as much as East fans love hearing about 2007. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

karl(east) wrote:I was still in high school when I started posting on here, and I can confirm that the players are aware of this place. Sure, most players don't read it, but if just a couple on a team are reading, it won't be too long before the rest of the locker room knows what's being said on here. Not to mention what parents say to their kids after reading...

This forum has certainly evolved over the years; the advent of the Hub and FollowThePuck has made it less of a place to go for scores and stats, and Twitter has (rather mercifully) become the place where high school kids go to do their trash talk now. (Not that there haven't been/still are intelligent high school-aged posters on here.) Page view counts are still consistent/going up, though, so someone out there is reading.
I only just learned about this forum this year when I was searching for a replacement to The Hub for my hockey news. I wish I knew about it earlier.

I'll be more convinced that high school students read here if one replies. to this string. I think your point of parents is much more likely.

Of course, I'm off topic now. To bring it back on topic, I don't think Grand Rapids players are reading this message board to become inspired to get revenge for the 5-0 loss at home to East this year.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

east hockey wrote:
Rapids fans love hearing about 2011 about as much as East fans love hearing about 2007.

Lee
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Traxler wrote:
karl(east) wrote:I was still in high school when I started posting on here, and I can confirm that the players are aware of this place. Sure, most players don't read it, but if just a couple on a team are reading, it won't be too long before the rest of the locker room knows what's being said on here. Not to mention what parents say to their kids after reading...

I only just learned about this forum this year when I was searching for a replacement to The Hub for my hockey news. I wish I knew about it earlier.

I'll be more convinced that high school students read here if one replies. to this string. I think your point of parents is much more likely.

Of course, I'm off topic now. To bring it back on topic, I don't think Grand Rapids players are reading this message board to become inspired to get revenge for the 5-0 loss at home to East this year.
When I was in high school this forum definitely wasn't around, but being involved with the DE program, many players and parents read this forum daily. I mean if a bunch of things were being said about your team, why wouldn't you want to read? :lol:
DE could've "easily" won state the last 5 years.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

If this forum got an iphone app, it would explode in views.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Slammer wrote:If this forum got an iphone app, it would explode in views.
some of us are stuck in the 90's :D
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Slammer wrote:
When I was in high school this forum definitely wasn't around, :lol:
When I was in high school.....
Hahahaha......

Who can remember that.......
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

elliott70 wrote:
Slammer wrote:
Hahahaha......

You can't remember the log cabin you walked five miles to (uphill both ways) each day?

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

east hockey wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
Slammer wrote:
Hahahaha......

You can't remember the log cabin you walked five miles to (uphill both ways) each day?

Lee
Stone.
Where would we get logs.....
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

I was looking at some statistics to try to figure out what order the top three seeds in 7AA should be as of today. I was surprised by some statistics. The strength of schedule based on record is the winning percentage of all opponents. The strength of victory based on record is the winning percentage of all opponents that the team beat. The strength of schedule based on PageStat ranking is the average ranking of all opponents. The strength of victory based on PageStat ranking is the average ranking of all opponents that the team beat.

Overall Record
Elk River 12-3-0 (0.800)
Grand Rapids 13-4-0 (0.765)
Duluth East 12-4-1 (0.735)

Section Record
Grand Rapids 5-1-0 (0.833)
Duluth East 4-1-0 (0.800)
Elk River 3-1-0 (0.750)

Goal Differential
Elk River 2.00
Grand Rapids 1.36
Duluth East 1.12

Strength of Schedule (Based on Record)
Grand Rapids 0.589
Elk River 0.571
Duluth East 0.569

Strength of Victory (Based on Record)
Grand Rapids 0.558
Elk River 0.533
Duluth East 0.432

Strength of Schedule (Based on PageStat Ranking)
Elk River 30.533
Duluth East 31.882
Grand Rapids 38.176

Strength of Victory (Based on PageStat Ranking)
Elk River 35.000
Duluth East 40.333
Grand Rapids 45.077

Record Against Common Opponents
Duluth East 6-3-1 (GR 3-1-0 & ER 3-2-1)
Elk River 6-4-0 (DE 4-2-0 & GR 2-2-0)
Grand Rapids 5-4-0 (DE 4-1-0 ER 1-3-0)
Frequent_MN_Flyer

Good job. Very cool stuff. These teams are very even if you ask me. Any team can beat the other. And some nights things won't go your way and you'll get kicked in the teeth scoreboard wise. We've seen a lot of times in this section teams getting the 1 seed and fall in the semi-finals. Should be fun times at Amsoil.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

You may have to add Forest Lake after Tues.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

old goalie85 wrote:You may have to add Forest Lake after Tues.
I think if Forest Lake beats Duluth East that just turns the top 2 seeds into Elk River and Grand Rapids. I don't think it brings Forest Lake into the discussion as they've already lost two section games.
Frequent_MN_Flyer

Is there going to be a live video or radio feed of the Hounds/Rangers game?
offtheglas

Post by offtheglas »

It will be interesting to see how ER responds to losing one of it's best players. I guess the seeding controversy may heat up again if ER cannot keep their MOJO going.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

:oops:
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

I can not name what coach said this, (although I'll say it's not Mike Randolph) but a very inside source to the seeding process (one of the 7AA coaches) has informed me that East will get the top seed unless they fall off the deep end here at the end.

Randolph is using excuse that Kolar was out during the ER game, and that they had Beaulieu playing forward and none of the lines were situated yet. And that East blew out GR in the middle of the year, while ER lost.

This ISNT coming from me. I still think DE deserves the 2, but I thought I would share what I heard from someone who is involved with the seeding.

Take it as you want.
Last edited by Slammer on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

Slammer wrote:I can not name what coach said this, (although I'll say it's not Mike Randolph) but a very inside source to the seeding process (one of the 7AA coaches) has informed me that East will get the top seed unless they fall off the deep end here at the end.

Randolph is using excuse that Kolar was out during the ER game, and that they had Beaulieu playing forward and none of the lines were situated yet. And that East blew out GR in the middle of the year, while ER lost.

This ISNT coming from me. I still think DE deserves the 2, but I thought I would share what I heard from someone who is involved with the seeding.

Take it as you want.
Complete BS. All this talk of seeding at this stage of the game is just that - talk.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

That sounds like wishful thinking, East has no claim to be seeded ahead of ER at this point in the season. HTH loss, losses to Blaine and Centennial which ER beat. East may well be the best team, but only excuses to not be ready to play ER in the 2nd game of the year, they knew the importance of this game. At this point Rapids has the only beef that they should be ahead of ER. ER still has Andover, MG, Blaine, Cent., and BSM left among their 10 games. 19-20 wins should get it done for ER, how they respond to the depature will be the key. They have good leaders in Berglove and Jaremko.