Section 7AA 2013-2014?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Slammer

Post by Slammer »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
This. In fact, I remember the Rapids fans (rightly) rushing to downplay the importance of records within the section last season, when they lost to St. Francis and Forest Lake. Rapids got the 2-seed, which they deserved based on their overall body of work. When teams are in the same general ballpark in the rankings, then yes, it makes a lot of sense to rely on head-to-head match-ups to determine seeding; it's also useful when looking at teams out of the top 20, where things are much more of a crapshoot. But if section record is the primary factor, you'll often wind up being a slave to some pretty dense logic.

Section seeding should be based on 25 games, not 3 or 4.
You are right, overall body of work is first, but the top 3 are close enough right now we just have to wait on the final 3-4 weeks and see what happens. I really respect the input of Pete Waggoner on Minnesota Hockey Magazine and he said essentially it's a close call on where to put them right now. I think section results should come into play if these top 3 teams are tied or within one loss when it comes to overall record. That's where I think if East were to lose another section game and Rapids wins out, you'd have to put GR at 2, East at 3.
January 9th, 2014 IN Grand Rapids (both teams having plenty of time to prepare)

Grand Rapids- Goose egg

Duluth East- 5

Shots- East 36-15

Grand Rapids had the home advantage, and could NOT compete in any aspect of the game even while having 6 power plays. Complete and utter domination by East.

That is ALL Mike Randolph will have to say in the conference call regarding Grand Rapids.
DE could've "easily" won state the last 5 years.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

DE- 2
Apple Valley- 1

Ah, the finals week legs.... The Hounds looked more tired then they have all year. Pretty bad game, but they got the win.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Slammer wrote:DE- 2
Apple Valley- 1

Ah, the finals week legs.... The Hounds looked more tired then they have all year. Pretty bad game, but they got the win.
Yeah, that was one of the more painful East games I've ever watched. They'll need a lot more if they want to beat Maple Grove on Saturday.

Beaulieu was at forward tonight, but even though offense has been this team's problem, I don't like him there. He can run the game much more effectively from the blue line, and I didn't sense much chemistry there when he's up front.
Frequent_MN_Flyer

Post by Frequent_MN_Flyer »

Slammer wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
This. In fact, I remember the Rapids fans (rightly) rushing to downplay the importance of records within the section last season, when they lost to St. Francis and Forest Lake. Rapids got the 2-seed, which they deserved based on their overall body of work. When teams are in the same general ballpark in the rankings, then yes, it makes a lot of sense to rely on head-to-head match-ups to determine seeding; it's also useful when looking at teams out of the top 20, where things are much more of a crapshoot. But if section record is the primary factor, you'll often wind up being a slave to some pretty dense logic.

Section seeding should be based on 25 games, not 3 or 4.
You are right, overall body of work is first, but the top 3 are close enough right now we just have to wait on the final 3-4 weeks and see what happens. I really respect the input of Pete Waggoner on Minnesota Hockey Magazine and he said essentially it's a close call on where to put them right now. I think section results should come into play if these top 3 teams are tied or within one loss when it comes to overall record. That's where I think if East were to lose another section game and Rapids wins out, you'd have to put GR at 2, East at 3.

Grand Rapids- Goose egg

Duluth East- 5

Shots- East 36-15

Grand Rapids had the home advantage, and could NOT compete in any aspect of the game even while having 6 power plays. Complete and utter domination by East.

That is ALL Mike Randolph will have to say in the conference call regarding Grand Rapids.
Check your blood pressure? And finals week legs.. Are you serious Clark?
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Frequent_MN_Flyer wrote:
Slammer wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote: You are right, overall body of work is first, but the top 3 are close enough right now we just have to wait on the final 3-4 weeks and see what happens. I really respect the input of Pete Waggoner on Minnesota Hockey Magazine and he said essentially it's a close call on where to put them right now. I think section results should come into play if these top 3 teams are tied or within one loss when it comes to overall record. That's where I think if East were to lose another section game and Rapids wins out, you'd have to put GR at 2, East at 3.

Grand Rapids- Goose egg

Duluth East- 5

Shots- East 36-15

Check your blood pressure? And finals week legs.. Are you serious Clark?
Yes, finals week legs. It's a term.. These are 15-18 year old high school students ya know, not proffesional hockey players.........
Frequent_MN_Flyer

And Good Lord... If we're making excuses....

In the Rapids-East game the Hounds get a historically typical first goal
by shooting from the point and getting a weird goal. Then a MAJOR penalty, and to East's credit (not their superiority) they scored twice.

And you're right Rapids went 0-6 on PP. But doesn't it register in your head that they must have some talent and playing well at times to create 6 PP
chances?

There's a lot of season left. And needing OT to beat AV
is an UGLY zit on the Hound's resume.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Frequent_MN_Flyer wrote:And Good Lord... If we're making excuses....

by shooting from the point and getting a weird goal. Then a MAJOR penalty, and to East's credit (not their superiority) they scored twice.

And you're right Rapids went 0-6 on PP. But doesn't it register in your head that they must have some talent and playing well at times to create 6 PP
chances?

There's no way I was using "finals week legs" as a serious term. It was a joke.... Calm down....
Frequent_MN_Flyer

Ok, kinda like you would have rather had Rapids at state because you like Bischoff instead of your beloved cake? Ok. Gotcha. :)
grandindian

Post by grandindian »

As you can tell by my user name I am a total Rapids fan but...I also like reality. There is no way whatsoever that Rapids should be ceded above either East or Elk River and the section coaches know that. While I think East would win in a section game I would give Elk the nod for #1 spot at this point in time cause they earned it.
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

Elk River 4
Champlin 1

Final
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Frequent_MN_Flyer wrote:Ok, kinda like you would have rather had Rapids at state because you like Bischoff instead of your beloved cake? Ok. Gotcha. :)
Yes. Last year I wanted rapids to go to state. I'm a huge fan of jake. After seeing what he and the Bischoff family had gone through, I would've loved to see him down at St. Paul more then East.

I love East hockey more then anyone, but sometimes there is bigger things going on then hockey. Would've been a very special moment for Bischoff and that community.

His little brother Jonah will get his chance to go in the next couple years.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Slammer wrote:I love East hockey more then anyone, but sometimes there is bigger things going on then hockey. Would've been a very special moment for Bischoff and that community.
=D>
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

FL4-CDH3 OT.
Frequent_MN_Flyer

:roll:
gitter

Post by gitter »

grandindian wrote:As you can tell by my user name I am a total Rapids fan but...I also like reality. There is no way whatsoever that Rapids should be ceded above either East or Elk River and the section coaches know that. While I think East would win in a section game I would give Elk the nod for #1 spot at this point in time cause they earned it.
You are correct on the 3 teams. Lots can happen between now and Feb 15, but that's how it stands if the season ended today.
pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 »

chances?

You and DJ must be related, because you both have that genetic defect called "reality" or as some say "common sense". You two need to wake up!! GR blew it in their shorts last week and will not be seeded higher then DE and that's a fact Jack!! However, feel free to resume your position in that quart jar of chocolate milk you've been looking through and continue stating your fictional assessment of 7AA.
Hunt|Fish|Hockey
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

pipersniper12 wrote:

chances?

You and DJ must be related, because you both have that genetic defect called "reality" or as some say "common sense". You two need to wake up!! GR blew it in their shorts last week and will not be seeded higher then DE and that's a fact Jack!! However, feel free to resume your position in that quart jar of chocolate milk you've been looking through and continue stating your fictional assessment of 7AA.
Common sense? So your common sense says that the seeds are set in stone and it's not even January 20? Rapids had a chance to probably put themselves at #1 with a win over East. Now, they are probably at 3, for now, but that can change. Lots of hockey left and no matter the seed I'd be concerned as an East fan needing OT to beat 3-10 Apple Valley. Also, it seems like people keep going back to "overall season result", but with GR that don't even want to look at a section record, just magnify ONE GAME. Face it, Rapids went 5-1 in 7AA and beat Elk River, it's not over yet. Shove that down your piper!
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Frequent_MN_Flyer

When did I say "will" or "should"? I don't like chocolate either.
Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
pipersniper12 wrote:

chances?

Common sense? So your common sense says that the seeds are set in stone and it's not even January 20? Rapids had a chance to probably put themselves at #1 with a win over East. Now, they are probably at 3, for now, but that can change. Lots of hockey left and no matter the seed I'd be concerned as an East fan needing OT to beat 3-10 Apple Valley. Also, it seems like people keep going back to "overall season result", but with GR that don't even want to look at a section record, just magnify ONE GAME. Face it, Rapids went 5-1 in 7AA and beat Elk River, it's not over yet. Shove that down your piper!
If Rothstein convinces all the other section coaches that Rapids deserves to be seeded #1 come playoff time, I want that man working for me!

In the meantime, I have no problem with a 3 seed, having to get past probably Cloquet for a third time - at home - and then facing either DE or ER in the semi's. Odd's are, Rapids will have to beat both in sections to get to the X anyway. To follow either semi final match-up by watching the Bulldogs hosting the Sioux later that evening will make this camper a happy one!
It is what it is!
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Seedings aside, I like how Rapids is playing right now and I'm confident they'll be playing their best at mid-February and I'll take my chances with Sheperd, Peterson, and Bischoff. I like the idea of playing East in the semis, and I'm not so sure Elk River will get by either Forest Lake or Andover in the other semifinal. ER only beat them both by one goal this season.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

I just hope that a metro school doesn't come out of section 7. :)
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
pipersniper12 wrote:

chances?

Common sense? So your common sense says that the seeds are set in stone and it's not even January 20? Rapids had a chance to probably put themselves at #1 with a win over East. Now, they are probably at 3, for now, but that can change. Lots of hockey left and no matter the seedI'd be concerned as an East fan needing OT to beat 3-10 Apple Valley. Also, it seems like people keep going back to "overall season result", but with GR that don't even want to look at a section record, just magnify ONE GAME. Face it, Rapids went 5-1 in 7AA and beat Elk River, it's not over yet. Shove that down your piper!
I'd be concerned as a Rapids fan, when a team that can barely get past Apple Valley, blew out your team at your home rink. 8) :lol:
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Slammer wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
pipersniper12 wrote: You and DJ must be related, because you both have that genetic defect called "reality" or as some say "common sense". You two need to wake up!! GR blew it in their shorts last week and will not be seeded higher then DE and that's a fact Jack!! However, feel free to resume your position in that quart jar of chocolate milk you've been looking through and continue stating your fictional assessment of 7AA.
Common sense? So your common sense says that the seeds are set in stone and it's not even January 20? Rapids had a chance to probably put themselves at #1 with a win over East. Now, they are probably at 3, for now, but that can change. Lots of hockey left and no matter the seedI'd be concerned as an East fan needing OT to beat 3-10 Apple Valley. Also, it seems like people keep going back to "overall season result", but with GR that don't even want to look at a section record, just magnify ONE GAME. Face it, Rapids went 5-1 in 7AA and beat Elk River, it's not over yet. Shove that down your piper!
I'd be concerned as a Rapids fan, when a team that can barely get past Apple Valley, blew out your team at your home rink. 8) :lol:
2007. How did that blow out win work for East?
The Bone

Post by The Bone »

Seedings aside, I like how Rapids is playing right now and I'm confident they'll be playing their best at mid-February and I'll take my chances with Sheperd, Peterson, and Bischoff. I like the idea of playing East in the semis, and I'm not so sure Elk River will get by either Forest Lake or Andover in the other semifinal. ER only beat them both by one goal this season.

"Seedings aside, I like how Rapids is playing right now"
Thu Jan 9 Grand Rapids L 0-5 to Duluth East IRA Civic Center, Grand Rapids

"ER only beat them both by one goal this season."
Sat Dec 28 ER W 5-2 over Forest Lake Elk River Ice Arena, Elk River
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

How about GR's remaining schedule? 8 games and 6 are against single A teams. That will really get you ready for section playoffs