Hunting and Hockey

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Is hunting a resonable excuse to miss a hockey GAME/Tournament?

Yes it is ok to miss for hunting.
45%
No they are at the point they need to make a commitment.
37%
Depends on other factors
18%

Total votes: 38

goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Just had a 9th grade football game cancelled because of hockey tryouts, of 21 kids on the team 6 "had" to be at tryouts or play C hockey. At least that was what was the threat was from the hockey people. Football plays at 4:30 every Monday, the schedule was set and posted last year and was the same for at least 3 years before that. Tryouts and practices are set this year for 7 every Monday, obviously a conflict for those kids who want to do both and an intentional conflict set up by the hockey people as a quick phone call showed a lot of available ice time.

People need to take a step back and let kids be kids, to be fair there is an open pre season wrestling tournament coming up and many kids still involved in football playoffs will have to choose football or wrestling, the wrestling side puts immense pressure on the kids to do both or wrestle only. Those who don't wrestle are pretty widely disparaged in wrestling circles.
helightsthelamp

Post by helightsthelamp »

goldy313 wrote:Just had a 9th grade football game cancelled because of hockey tryouts, of 21 kids on the team 6 "had" to be at tryouts or play C hockey. At least that was what was the threat was from the hockey people. Football plays at 4:30 every Monday, the schedule was set and posted last year and was the same for at least 3 years before that. Tryouts and practices are set this year for 7 every Monday, obviously a conflict for those kids who want to do both and an intentional conflict set up by the hockey people as a quick phone call showed a lot of available ice time.

People need to take a step back and let kids be kids, to be fair there is an open pre season wrestling tournament coming up and many kids still involved in football playoffs will have to choose football or wrestling, the wrestling side puts immense pressure on the kids to do both or wrestle only. Those who don't wrestle are pretty widely disparaged in wrestling circles.
Looks to me like neither side is willing to consider the other.... Adults not playing nice in the sandbox. Sad that the kids are the one's that feel the effect.
Jackpinesavage2014

Post by Jackpinesavage2014 »

helightsthelamp wrote:
goldy313 wrote:Just had a 9th grade football game cancelled because of hockey tryouts, of 21 kids on the team 6 "had" to be at tryouts or play C hockey. At least that was what was the threat was from the hockey people. Football plays at 4:30 every Monday, the schedule was set and posted last year and was the same for at least 3 years before that. Tryouts and practices are set this year for 7 every Monday, obviously a conflict for those kids who want to do both and an intentional conflict set up by the hockey people as a quick phone call showed a lot of available ice time.

Looks to me like neither side is willing to consider the other.... Adults not playing nice in the sandbox. Sad that the kids are the one's that feel the effect.
I don't have any idea how you can possibly say this is a both sides issue- it's football season- USA and MN Hockey both advocate multisport athletes. The hockey org in this case is robbing the kids who play football (or any fall sport) of a fair opportunity to make the best team possible and it is utterly disgusting to do that to kids.
Very sad parents and org care more about playing in Oct and Nov than doing what's right for the players in their association.
helightsthelamp

Jackpinesavage2014 wrote:
helightsthelamp wrote:

I don't have any idea how you can possibly say this is a both sides issue- it's football season- USA and MN Hockey both advocate multisport athletes. The hockey org in this case is robbing the kids who play football (or any fall sport) of a fair opportunity to make the best team possible and it is utterly disgusting to do that to kids.
Very sad parents and org care more about playing in Oct and Nov than doing what's right for the players in their association.
Exactly the issue with a mentality of...it's football season and we set our schedule first, so you schedule around us... hockey folks giving no consideration for existing football schedule are exhibiting they don't care if they play football or not... Either could make a change to make both work... The Football org is robbing the kids of the opportunity to play in game by not changing when conflict is identified. Both are wrong IMO. In this instance, while it seems the hockey scheduler may have had more opportunity to take FB schedule into consideration, it looks to me like both are entrenched in this is the way it has always been, so we are not changing....my point, either could step up and make it work, but neither is doing so. BTW - IT'S ALWAYS HOCKEY SEASON :lol:
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

Sorry, siding with the football folks here. Football is in season and this was a scheduled football game, not practice. There is a long hockey season ahead, no reason the tryout schedule couldn't be changed or special consideration given to the multi sport athletes.

Some of these tryout policies are plain stupid.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

Same thing is happening in my association. Hockey kids playing football are getting the shaft because there are "optional" hockey practices going on. So football kids don't practice and then are at a disadvantage when tryouts start in a couple weeks. Not a good way to pick your potentially best team IMO. Oh well, can't fight the religion of hockey. Playing other sports is important, apparently, but rarely stressed and never prioritized. Its overzealous parents that drive it and the "arms race" (trying to keep up w/ other associations).
SimplyPut

Post by SimplyPut »

football, soccer, hunting, Volleyball(girls) Church. so many activities via for our kids time. Hard to please them all. One families Priorities are different from anothers. Once you get to the High school, they do not have this over lap (well unless you are fortunate to qualify for State - then possibly overlap depends on the sport)
helightsthelamp

SCBlueLiner wrote:Sorry, siding with the football folks here. Football is in season and this was a scheduled football game, not practice. There is a long hockey season ahead, no reason the tryout schedule couldn't be changed or special consideration given to the multi sport athletes.

Some of these tryout policies are plain stupid.
Agreed, but still missing the point. It is not about who is wrong and who is right, being stubborn and pointing a finger saying they should change does not solve the issue... Sounds a whole lot like dems and repubs in the battle over gov't shutdown ??????Solve the issue instead of trying to figure out whom is more to blame, novel concept! I agree 100% hockey should not have scheduled a tryout on a known FB game day, but when they did, it does the kids no good by pointing fingers... One other true scenario on this, It goes both ways. When my oldest son played FB, he missed a FB practice due to hockey tryouts. After playing both sides of the ball all year, suddenly after missing that practice (told coach he was missing and why) his time on the field was very limited. When I asked the FB coach why, he indicated that if he couldn't make a practice, then he does not get to play. this was 4th grade FB. Up to that point, he had missed one practice (which were 4 days a week) due to being ill. Guess coach wanted him to miss hockey tryouts in favor of practice....
Last edited by helightsthelamp on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
helightsthelamp

Mite-dad wrote:Same thing is happening in my association. Hockey kids playing football are getting the shaft because there are "optional" hockey practices going on. So football kids don't practice and then are at a disadvantage when tryouts start in a couple weeks. Not a good way to pick your potentially best team IMO. Oh well, can't fight the religion of hockey. Playing other sports is important, apparently, but rarely stressed and never prioritized. Its overzealous parents that drive it and the "arms race" (trying to keep up w/ other associations).
Playing other sport is only encouraged when convienent! :shock: That said, not sure how the football player is disadvantaged, so little Johnny plays football, so no one else should skate? Hockey Assoc should not hold any skates prior to tryouts? News Flash, if they did not, many hockey players would be skating somewhere to prepare for tryouts. Yes, football players typically will not skate as much leading up to tryouts. why? only so much time in the day.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

helightsthelamp wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:Same thing is happening in my association. Hockey kids playing football are getting the shaft because there are "optional" hockey practices going on. So football kids don't practice and then are at a disadvantage when tryouts start in a couple weeks. Not a good way to pick your potentially best team IMO. Oh well, can't fight the religion of hockey. Playing other sports is important, apparently, but rarely stressed and never prioritized. Its overzealous parents that drive it and the "arms race" (trying to keep up w/ other associations).
Playing other sport is only encouraged when convienent! :shock: That said, not sure how the football player is disadvantaged, so little Johnny plays football, so no one else should skate? Hockey Assoc should not hold any skates prior to tryouts? News Flash, if they did not, many hockey players would be skating somewhere to prepare for tryouts. Yes, football players typically will not skate as much leading up to tryouts. why? only so much time in the day.
So you don't understand how non-football kids that are practicing 3 wks before tryouts while the football kids hardly at all won't disadvantage the football kids? Plus why should I pay for ice-time my kid can't use? Not only do I not agree with the advantage non-football kids have, but I have to subsidize it too!
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

Mite-dad wrote:
helightsthelamp wrote:
So you don't understand how non-football kids that are practicing 3 wks before tryouts while the football kids hardly at all won't disadvantage the football kids? Plus why should I pay for ice-time my kid can't use? Not only do I not agree with the advantage non-football kids have, but I have to subsidize it too!
Sooooooooooooooooooooooo ... it's unfair another kid skates more than yours...
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
helightsthelamp

Mite-dad wrote:
helightsthelamp wrote:
Yes, I get it, it's called you have a choice. Three weeks leading up to tryouts my Bantam skated over 30 hours, he only made 3 of 7 session offered by the assocation. It was his choice and my checkbook that decided to have him do the "other" skates. Just as you decided to go to FB. There were many kids that did attend the assoc sessions to prepare for tryouts. Our assoc has offered that at all the levels since my kids started playing hockey. Sorry it conflicts with your FB, or a trip to G'ma's on Sunday, or a back yard BBQ on one of the remaining decent days before it turns cold out... That does not mean it shouldn't be offered, or that other's shouldn't be skating somewhere else just because your son want's to play FB. Go back to mites where everyone get's a trophy and no score is kept because little Johnny's team just might not be as good as the next. Disadvantaged, yeah right... Sounds like an excuse in the making!
helightsthelamp

DrGaf wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:
helightsthelamp wrote: Playing other sport is only encouraged when convienent! :shock: That said, not sure how the football player is disadvantaged, so little Johnny plays football, so no one else should skate? Hockey Assoc should not hold any skates prior to tryouts? News Flash, if they did not, many hockey players would be skating somewhere to prepare for tryouts. Yes, football players typically will not skate as much leading up to tryouts. why? only so much time in the day.
Sooooooooooooooooooooooo ... it's unfair another kid skates more than yours...
It's called preparing for tryouts. You have a choice in how you prepare for tryouts. :idea: How you choose to do that is your choice...
JSR

Post by JSR »

Youth sports organizations battling eachother and forcing kids to "chose" at such young ages is a dick move on both. I do think the "in season" sport should be given SOME amount of leeway and precedent but anymore what is "in season"....

On the other issue, if an association is offering OPTIONAL additional ice time for skaters who CHOOSE to participate, that is not a dick move, in fact I applaud the association for trying to get people more for their money if they CHOOSE to participate, if you do not that is fine but don't cry because others choose to do so....
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

At the 9th grade level football is run by the high school, I'm not sure why or even how they should bend to a youth hockey association on October 7th for a 4:30 game.
SECoach

Post by SECoach »

I feel quite blessed to belong to an association that, along with all it's shortcomings, actually re scheduled hockey tryouts due to a conflict with another sport. I'm sure it was not easy to do, and someone had to put in some extra time to make it happen, but it was the right thing to do.

I read above that a 4th grade football coach sat a kid for missing practice to attend a hockey tryout. Shame on that coach. Oh, yes I forgot, football is still where the badass coaches reign. A 4th grader should be able to miss a practice for his sister's birthday party. Believe it or not, all these decisions made by adults, that find it difficult to think like a child, do more harm than the good they think they are doing. They claim to be teaching life lessons, and they are. Just maybe not the right ones.

This conversation leads me even more to appreciate the coaches that respond to a very difficult conflict with "Thanks for letting me know, see you tomorrow, and good luck". I'm glad the adults in my kids lives have not made them choose between a football or soccer team and hockey tryouts, and that the association has put in the effort so that he doesn't have to. Sad to say with all that, some will still say the association sucks (after tryout results are posted). Kids wanna play, we should let em.
SECoach

Post by SECoach »

Oh yeah, and complaining that your kid misses pre tryout clinics and prep because he/she has other obligations? That this is an unfair advantage? C'mon, really? Rent him or her some ice at 6:00 am and pay the price for serious training and life success! Please God tell me he's not still a Mite.
spin-o-rama

Post by spin-o-rama »

SECoach wrote:
This conversation leads me even more to appreciate the coaches that respond to a very difficult conflict with "Thanks for letting me know, see you tomorrow, and good luck". I'm glad the adults in my kids lives have not made them choose between a football or soccer team and hockey tryouts, and that the association has put in the effort so that he doesn't have to. Sad to say with all that, some will still say the association sucks (after tryout results are posted). Kids wanna play, we should let em.
Very well stated!
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

SECoach wrote: I read above that a 4th grade football coach sat a kid for missing practice to attend a hockey tryout. Shame on that coach. Oh, yes I forgot, football is still where the badass coaches reign. A 4th grader should be able to miss a practice for his sister's birthday party. Believe it or not, all these decisions made by adults, that find it difficult to think like a child, do more harm than the good they think they are doing. They claim to be teaching life lessons, and they are. Just maybe not the right ones.
And I'm sure that hockey coach would be fine with a kid missing practice for a baseball tryout this spring right. Kid wouldn't miss a shift I'm sure. On the other hand that would probably never happen because baseball has the common sense to not start until winter sports are over unlike hockey. Crying out loud! Youth football is what, like 2 months long? Why can't hockey wait a couple more weeks to start?
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

SECoach wrote:Oh yeah, and complaining that your kid misses pre tryout clinics and prep because he/she has other obligations? That this is an unfair advantage? C'mon, really? Rent him or her some ice at 6:00 am and pay the price for serious training and life success! Please God tell me he's not still a Mite.
The over caffeinated and anxiety ridden hockey crowd needs some Prozac. So we need to take our kid from two hours of football practice, bring him home to wolf down supper, have him rush through his homework so he can get to hockey practice so he can compete at tryouts. Seriously, what is the rush to start hockey so early? Why not wait till mid-October? Is that two extra weeks really going to make or break the program? I wish USA/MN Hockey would just set the dates for us statewide. Their ADM program supposedly lauds the value of playing other sports. So why penalize players for doing what they think is best?
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

JSR wrote:Youth sports organizations battling eachother and forcing kids to "chose" at such young ages is a dick move on both. I do think the "in season" sport should be given SOME amount of leeway and precedent but anymore what is "in season"....

On the other issue, if an association is offering OPTIONAL additional ice time for skaters who CHOOSE to participate, that is not a dick move, in fact I applaud the association for trying to get people more for their money if they CHOOSE to participate, if you do not that is fine but don't cry because others choose to do so....
I think its bullcrap that I'm paying for ice-time that my kid can't use. Let me sign my kid up for a reduced price then.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

helightsthelamp wrote:
Mite-dad wrote:
helightsthelamp wrote: Playing other sport is only encouraged when convienent! :shock: That said, not sure how the football player is disadvantaged, so little Johnny plays football, so no one else should skate? Hockey Assoc should not hold any skates prior to tryouts? News Flash, if they did not, many hockey players would be skating somewhere to prepare for tryouts. Yes, football players typically will not skate as much leading up to tryouts. why? only so much time in the day.
Yes, I get it, it's called you have a choice. Three weeks leading up to tryouts my Bantam skated over 30 hours, he only made 3 of 7 session offered by the assocation. It was his choice and my checkbook that decided to have him do the "other" skates. Just as you decided to go to FB. There were many kids that did attend the assoc sessions to prepare for tryouts. Our assoc has offered that at all the levels since my kids started playing hockey. Sorry it conflicts with your FB, or a trip to G'ma's on Sunday, or a back yard BBQ on one of the remaining decent days before it turns cold out... That does not mean it shouldn't be offered, or that other's shouldn't be skating somewhere else just because your son want's to play FB. Go back to mites where everyone get's a trophy and no score is kept because little Johnny's team just might not be as good as the next. Disadvantaged, yeah right... Sounds like an excuse in the making!
It's truly a sad state of affairs that you have to run your kid into the ground just to keep him at a high state of readiness for hockey tryouts. I feel sorry for you and people like you. Seriously. I hope your son isn't burnt out by the time his high school career is over. And I hope he maintains his health through the rigors of the program you've set him up with. Good luck.
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

Mite-dad wrote:
SECoach wrote: I read above that a 4th grade football coach sat a kid for missing practice to attend a hockey tryout. Shame on that coach. Oh, yes I forgot, football is still where the badass coaches reign. A 4th grader should be able to miss a practice for his sister's birthday party. Believe it or not, all these decisions made by adults, that find it difficult to think like a child, do more harm than the good they think they are doing. They claim to be teaching life lessons, and they are. Just maybe not the right ones.
And I'm sure that hockey coach would be fine with a kid missing practice for a baseball tryout this spring right. Kid wouldn't miss a shift I'm sure. On the other hand that would probably never happen because baseball has the common sense to not start until winter sports are over unlike hockey. Crying out loud! Youth football is what, like 2 months long? Why can't hockey wait a couple more weeks to start?
tick ...
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

Mite-dad wrote:
SECoach wrote:Oh yeah, and complaining that your kid misses pre tryout clinics and prep because he/she has other obligations? That this is an unfair advantage? C'mon, really? Rent him or her some ice at 6:00 am and pay the price for serious training and life success! Please God tell me he's not still a Mite.
The over caffeinated and anxiety ridden hockey crowd needs some Prozac. So we need to take our kid from two hours of football practice, bring him home to wolf down supper, have him rush through his homework so he can get to hockey practice so he can compete at tryouts. Seriously, what is the rush to start hockey so early? Why not wait till mid-October? Is that two extra weeks really going to make or break the program? I wish USA/MN Hockey would just set the dates for us statewide. Their ADM program supposedly lauds the value of playing other sports. So why penalize players for doing what they think is best?
tick ...
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

Mite-dad wrote:
JSR wrote:Youth sports organizations battling eachother and forcing kids to "chose" at such young ages is a dick move on both. I do think the "in season" sport should be given SOME amount of leeway and precedent but anymore what is "in season"....

I think its bullcrap that I'm paying for ice-time that my kid can't use. Let me sign my kid up for a reduced price then.
tick ...