2011-12 Open Coaching Positions

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockeya1a

Post by hockeya1a »

notahockeyguy wrote:Never was a chance to get one of the mentioned girls. They would only accept applications from people that had been head coaches. Jamie will do well.
When the tallent leaves he leaves! But having said that he does promote his girls better than almost any other coach around, Morris and him were both pretty good at promoting their girls.
BeenAround

Post by BeenAround »

hockeya1a wrote:
notahockeyguy wrote:Never was a chance to get one of the mentioned girls. They would only accept applications from people that had been head coaches. Jamie will do well.
When the tallent leaves he leaves! But having said that he does promote his girls better than almost any other coach around, Morris and him were both pretty good at promoting their girls.
You mean Morris was good at promoting other communities girls that happened to play hockey atEPHS. 5-6 non EP girls on roster in 08 when they won State-right??
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

Do you mean candidates were limited to only people with previous HS head coaching experience or would any head coaching gig do? If the latter you can't throw a rock in Eden Prairie without hitting someone who at one time or another was a youth hockey head coach. If the former, I find that, not to mince words, stupid. "We'll only take you if you aren't good enough to keep a job or have no loyalty and are looking to jump ship." Neither are great qualities. Not to mention that attrition will quickly whittle your pool of applicants to zero.

Almost everything the EP school district does drives me nuts. Don't know why I would expect selecting a hockey coach to be any different.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

EP Dad -

This why parents have destroyed sports. You have already put it in your mind that he will fail. Therefore, anything he does that you dont agree with you will automatically be assured he is a BAD coach. Instead let the guy come in and show what he can do for three years. Then after three years make your opinion about he is doing as a high school coach.

Shouldnt the job have gone to the best candidate? I think Jaime is a very qualified coach, and will do a great job. Just because a female applied for the job, and just because she played a certain place does not mean she is the best for the job.

Parents have ruined sports...Sit back and love your kid. Thats your only job!
livin' in the 651

Post by livin' in the 651 »

Tigers33 wrote:EP Dad -

This why parents have destroyed sports. You have already put it in your mind that he will fail. Therefore, anything he does that you dont agree with you will automatically be assured he is a BAD coach. Instead let the guy come in and show what he can do for three years. Then after three years make your opinion about he is doing as a high school coach.

Shouldnt the job have gone to the best candidate? I think Jaime is a very qualified coach, and will do a great job. Just because a female applied for the job, and just because she played a certain place does not mean she is the best for the job.

Well said. As parents we get way to involved and try to protect our kids from any hurt and/or percieved injustice. We need to let them fall and be there to pick them up rather than try to keep them from falling.

My daughter has had times where she has not played as much as she would like. I didn't complain to the coach, AD or principal. I told her to ask the coach what she needed to do play more, work hard in practice and take advantage of the opportunities she gets in the game. In short, figure it out yourself.
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

Sorry I came across like that. I have no problem with Coach Grossman. As I mentioned in a previous post my daughter thinks he's a good choice. I have a good first impression of him too. My beef is with a flawed vetting process only. As you said, the job should go to the best candidate. I just hope they weren't too arbitrary when limiting the candidate pool.

And shame on you for saying parents have destroyed sports. The kids I know playing hockey, soccer, baseball, basketball, ... all appear to be having a great time and almost none of them would have the opportunity to do so if it weren't for parent volunteers. There are some bad apples, but their damage is far outweight by the hard work of parents who give their time to make the community a better place.
Last edited by luckyEPDad on Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

And shame on you for judging someone before he has even began his position. Why? Because he didnt play women's hockey, play on a women's olympic team, etc. He might be the best available candidate, and he might not be. Give him the benefit of the doubt, because like you just said, coaches pretty much volunteer their time to be role models and teach your daughter about life lessons while playing a sport.

Are there some bad coaches? Yes! Just like you said about the parents. However, let me ask you this. How many parents out of 10 do you think complain about the coach and how many do you think thank them for their efforts? I am going to take a guess that most parents complain about coaching.

So, like you just said to me. Shame on you.
Bison Buddy

Post by Bison Buddy »

Tigers33 wrote:Give him the benefit of the doubt, because like you just said, coaches pretty much volunteer their time to be role models and teach your daughter about life lessons while playing a sport.
Careful......while HS coaches aren't compensated alot, I don't know of any that are volunteering their time!!
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

Tigers33 wrote:And shame on you for judging someone before he has even began his position. Why? Because he didnt play women's hockey, play on a women's olympic team, etc. He might be the best available candidate, and he might not be. Give him the benefit of the doubt, because like you just said, coaches pretty much volunteer their time to be role models and teach your daughter about life lessons while playing a sport.

So, like you just said to me. Shame on you.
Guess I need to repeat the obvious. NO PROBLEM with Coach Grossman. GOOD IMPRESSION of Coach Grossman. DAUGHTER LIKES Coach Grossman.

FRUSTRATED with Eden Prairie HS in general.

Jaime Grossman = GOOD
Eden Prairie Athletic Department = NOT GOOD (maybe, was looking for verification)

The comment about only interviewing coaches who can't hold a job or have no loyalty is an exaggeration used to press the point that the school may be shortsighted in arbitrarily limiting the applicant pool. If I think someone is a lout I either say so direclty to them, or say nothing at all. I do not imply.
observer

Post by observer »

I'm surprised there aren't more women filling these positions as today there are several with high level hockey experience. 20 years ago that wasn't the case. I would like to see more women apply for and get these high school coaching positions.

14 filled and only 1 or 2 women. Even if a man is named head coach I would sure like to see more women on these new coaching staffs. So many wonderful women hockey players in the State that can play big roles in the younger womens lives on and off the ice. Hopefully we'll see another one or two each year moving forward.
hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 »

I will only comment in saying that none of you are aware of how many female candidates are actually applying for these jobs hence you are making the assumption that alot are being turned down.
luckyEPDad

Post by luckyEPDad »

hockeywild7 wrote:I will only comment in saying that none of you are aware of how many female candidates are actually applying for these jobs hence you are making the assumption that alot are being turned down.
Nobody said anything about women candidates being turned down. I mentioned there were rumors circulating that got some EP girls excited about the prospect of getting someone like Brooke White (who many EP girls respect and adore). The first thing poor Jaime Grossman gets to do is turn that disappointment around. This is no blow against Coach Grossman other than he is not Brooke White.

notahockeyguy responds that Brooke and other women players/coaches like Winny Brodt or Krissy Wendell never had a chance at the job as EP was only accepting applications from people with previous head coaching experience. I then write a misunderstood post asking if they limited their search to only people with HS head coaching experience. If so, I think that is too limiting.

So, to reiterate. Nobody has made an accusation that there was any gender bias in the EP coaching decision. Nobody has said Coach Grossman is a bad choice. There are some people who would like to see more women hockey coaches. I would like to know if EP only accepted applicants who had prior HS head coaching experience. I think such a limitation, if it is true, is overly restrictive and not in the best interests of the team. My daughter thinks Brooke White is awesome.

This is the problem with forums. You read the last few posts and don't have the context of the discussion. I will redouble my efforts to make sure any post I write contains all required context. This should make them so long that they won't be read, and I won't have to worry about ruffling anyone's feathers. Problem solved.
notahockeyguy

Post by notahockeyguy »

They would only accept applications from coaches who had head coaching experience at the high school level or above. I agree that there are alot of women coaches out there that would be geat coaches but alot of them don't want all the headaches that come with being a high school coach so they don't apply for the head coach position but make great asst coaches.
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

observer wrote:I'm surprised there aren't more women filling these positions as today there are several with high level hockey experience. 20 years ago that wasn't the case. I would like to see more women apply for and get these high school coaching positions.

14 filled and only 1 or 2 women. Even if a man is named head coach I would sure like to see more women on these new coaching staffs. So many wonderful women hockey players in the State that can play big roles in the younger womens lives on and off the ice. Hopefully we'll see another one or two each year moving forward.
I would say the biggest thing that keeps women away from applying for these jobs is they see what goes into being a head high school coach, and they want no part of it. I would also add that regardless of if a high profile job like EP accepts apps from people with no HC experience that some of the women with a "big" name can make more money offering off-season camps. While it's not a volunteer job if you calculate the hourly wage, I would guess you make below min wage to be a head HS coach. That means some females with the big name find it more lucrative to run camps for all kids rather than be tied to one HS.

LuckyEPdad, don't mean to pile on, but you come across very disgruntled, and while I don't know much about EP you can't argue with the success of their athletic programs as a whole, so you ripping on them makes me think maybe you should change your name to luckeybsmdad!
sneach13

Post by sneach13 »

I love the side conversations...Tiger am I still waiting on a text from you? As a side note on this conversation - 2 Detroit Lakes HS grads hired as head coaches this year...which outnumbers the females hired at this point I believe...thats not good.
hockeywild7

Post by hockeywild7 »

Not sure where you are coming from EP but I was not commenting on anything you said I was commenting what observer had said in the post previous to mine.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

sneach - whats your number? I will text you. Also, 1:49am is passed your bedtime.
2inNet

Add Shattuck U16 to list

Post by 2inNet »

Former assistant coach returns to UW

MADISON, Wis. - Former women's hockey assistant coach Dan Koch is returning to the University of Wisconsin, the team announced on Wednesday. Koch (pronounced Cook) will return and serve as associate head coach after spending the previous two seasons as the head coach for the Shattuck-St. Mary's Girls U16 squad.

"I'm excited to be back and I enjoyed my time with Mark [Johnson] prior to leaving and I'm looking forward to that relationship again," Koch said. "I think my time at Shattuck-St. Mary's made me a better coach. As a head coach, you spend a lot more time dealing with things not always associated with hockey and you get a better sense of running practices and getting the team ready for a weekend series."

Koch is familiar with the UW women's hockey program and Johnson's systems having spent eight seasons as an assistant coach. In 2001-02, Koch spent the latter half of his first season co-coaching the Badgers prior to the arrival of head coach Mark Johnson. In the seven seasons that followed, Koch helped Wisconsin claim its first three national championships.

"We're really excited and fortunate to have Dan come back," Johnson said. "He was instrumental in our success when he was here during his tenure. His relationship with the players and his ability to improve players on and off the ice is something that makes him unique and separates him from a lot of other coaches."

Stepping down from the UW women's hockey team after the conclusion of the 2008-09 season, Koch took the reins of the Shattuck-St. Mary's Girls U16 program where he compiled an overall record of 80-30-12. His first season with the Sabres ended with a Tier I 16-U National title after going 47-7-6 in 2009-10.

Prior to his first appointment with Wisconsin in 2001, Koch spent two seasons as an assistant coach with the women's hockey program at St. Mary's University of Minnesota working with the forwards and goaltenders. While also working as a third-grade teacher at Franklin Elementary School in La Crosse, Wis., Koch helped lead St. Mary's to a Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference title during the 1990-00 season and a third place finish at the national tournament in 2000-01.

Koch earned his master's degree in education, teaching and learning in 2001 from St. Mary's University after completing his bachelor of science degree in elementary education in December 1991 from the UW. He is a 1985 Madison La Follette High School graduate.

Koch and his wife Jody have three sons: Conner, Jacob, and Malik.
Dirty Coaches

Post by Dirty Coaches »

luckyEPDad wrote:
kicksave33 wrote:New Cretin coaches: K. Wendell Pohl and J. Pohl. Skrypek will remain on staff. CDH families received a letter in the mail.
Poor Jaime Grossman. It was rumored that a "Former women's Olympic hockey player" interviewed for the Eden Prairie job. Don't know if it was true, but some of the girls were getting excited about the possibility that Brook White, Winny Brodt or Krissy Wendell may be their new coach. When Jaime was introduced you could almost hear the collective mental "Who?"

My daughter informs me that Coach Grossman is "OK", and runs an "OK" practice (High praise. Really.) I find myself wishing EP had used the opportunity to make a statement and provide the girls with a female role model. Maybe that shows my age and nearly 30 years of title IX has female athletes forgetting about the "female" part and thinking of themselves as "athletes". No gender specific role model required.
What a boost to the program if Krissy Wendell could even just help out and later work her way into the position.
mnhcp

TODD JOHNSON PRIOR LAKE GIRLS HEAD COACH

Post by mnhcp »

1. Rochester John Marshall - Bob Montrose
2. Minneapolis Novas - Pat Meacham
3. AHA - Jon Dundore
4. East Ridge - Craig Norwich
5. Chaska/Chan - Tracy Cassano
6. Bemidji -
7. St. Cloud - Mark Chamernick (was co HC)
8. St. Paul Blades -
9. Forest Lake- Ryan Sauter
10. Windom - Dean Drahota
11. Faribault - Steve Gravgaard
12. Robbinsdale Armstrong - Kevin Gray
13. St. Louis Park - Donnie Williams
14. Eden Prairie - Jaime Grossman
15. Lakeville South -
16. Orono -
17. Rosemount - Co-Head Coaches Josh Hoekstra & Trent Eigner
18. Alexandria - Andy Shriver
19. St Paul United -
20. Prior Lake - TODD JOHNSON
21. Detroit Lakes - Gretchen Norby
22. CDH - John Pohl
clutterbucket

Post by clutterbucket »

Orono Girls HS head coach - has been filled by Keith Radloff, Blake girls HS assistant coach and Wazata U14A coach for years
hockeya1a

Re: TODD JOHNSON PRIOR LAKE GIRLS HEAD COACH

Post by hockeya1a »

mnhcp wrote:1. Rochester John Marshall - Bob Montrose
3. AHA - Jon Dundore
6. Bemidji -
7. St. Cloud - Mark Chamernick (was co HC)
8. St. Paul Blades -
9. Forest Lake- Ryan Sauter
10. Windom - Dean Drahota
11. Faribault - Steve Gravgaard
12. Robbinsdale Armstrong - Kevin Gray
13. St. Louis Park - Donnie Williams
14. Eden Prairie - Jaime Grossman
15. Lakeville South -
16. Orono -
17. Rosemount - Co-Head Coaches Josh Hoekstra & Trent Eigner
18. Alexandria - Andy Shriver
19. St Paul United -
20. Prior Lake - TODD JOHNSON
21. Detroit Lakes - Gretchen Norby
22. CDH - John Pohl
Prior lake gets new Coach! is this the Todd Johnson from EP
mnhcp

4 Open Positions Still

Post by mnhcp »

4 OPEN POSITIONS STILL

1. Rochester John Marshall - Bob Montrose
3. AHA - Jon Dundore
6. St. Cloud - Mark Chamernick (was co HC)
7. Forest Lake- Ryan Sauter
8. Windom - Dean Drahota
9. Faribault - Steve Gravgaard
10. Robbinsdale Armstrong - Kevin Gray
11. St. Louis Park - Donnie Williams
12. Eden Prairie - Jaime Grossman
13. Orono - Keith Radloff
14. Rosemount - Co-Head Coaches Josh Hoekstra & Trent Eigner
15. Alexandria - Andy Shriver
16. Prior Lake - Todd Johnson
17. Detroit Lakes - Gretchen Norby
18. CDH - John Pohl
19. Bemidji -
20. St. Paul Blades -
21. Lakeville South -
22. St Paul United -
thewho

open positions

Post by thewho »

Natalie Darwitz LSHS girls coach...School board vote August 9 we'll see if it's true.
gmom29

Re: open positions

Post by gmom29 »

thewho wrote:Natalie Darwitz LSHS girls coach...School board vote August 9 we'll see if it's true.
That could be, she does play hockey in Lakeville there with the guys sometimes! She will do well