Squirt Age Limited to 35 games still?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

bestbuyer

Squirt Age Limited to 35 games still?

Post by bestbuyer »

I just read an article in todays Star and Trib about John Maddens son who plays for the 41-0 Edina Squirt A team. Is the 35 game rule out now? Because they are so good we will allow them 6 extra games? Is this a Minnesota Hockey rule or District 6? Do clubs just police themselves with this rule?
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I know D2 acts like you killed someone if they THINK you played 36 at the squirt level.
James B Mcbain

Post by James B Mcbain »

Whether the rule is still in place or not at your District Level or MN Hockey Rules, the game totals don't apply to regions, district and state tournaments.

At Minnesota Made there are no worries about game limits.
oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster »

The rule does not include District playoff games.
tourneytickssince59

Post by tourneytickssince59 »

James B Mcbain wrote:Whether the rule is still in place or not at your District Level or MN Hockey Rules, the game totals don't apply to regions, district and state tournaments.

Actually, if you read the Minnesota Hockey rules they do.
G. SQUIRT HOCKEY – MH strongly encourages the skill development of all players especially at the entry levels. Therefore, the following is effective for the Squirt level. 1. No league standings shall be kept. 2. Limit games (league/tournament/exhibition games) to a maximum of 35 per season. Each tournament game counts as one game. For Squirts, controlled scrimmages count as games and not as practices.
The districts for Squirts were considered a tournament
DMom

Post by DMom »

tourneytickssince59 wrote:
James B Mcbain wrote:Whether the rule is still in place or not at your District Level or MN Hockey Rules, the game totals don't apply to regions, district and state tournaments.

Actually, if you read the Minnesota Hockey rules they do.
G. SQUIRT HOCKEY – MH strongly encourages the skill development of all players especially at the entry levels. Therefore, the following is effective for the Squirt level. 1. No league standings shall be kept. 2. Limit games (league/tournament/exhibition games) to a maximum of 35 per season. Each tournament game counts as one game. For Squirts, controlled scrimmages count as games and not as practices.
The districts for Squirts were considered a tournament
I know the District end of season games count in D2 but I think that D6 has said that they don't.
oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster »

I have had the discussion with D6 and MH on this one. They do not count District playoff games against the 35 total.

The part that bothers me is the posting of records and scores for Squirts. It should not happen.
TheJet

Post by TheJet »

Whether they do or not, doubt there were 6 district tournament games in the 41, i.e. still over the 35 count them or not.
muckandgrind

Post by muckandgrind »

oldschoolpuckster wrote: The part that bothers me is the posting of records and scores for Squirts. It should not happen.
Why not? They post baseball scores for 9-10 year olds, don't they?
JSR

Post by JSR »

oldschoolpuckster wrote:I have had the discussion with D6 and MH on this one. They do not count District playoff games against the 35 total.

The part that bothers me is the posting of records and scores for Squirts. It should not happen.
Why? It's ok for an 11 year old Pee Wee's who are in 5th grade but not for 10 year old Squirts in 5th grade. I don't care if people do or don't post scores or records, I just don't get the hypocrisy some people have in regards to those who do. Maybe we should stop giving out trophies at squirt tournaments too. Everone gets a medal and everyone wins..... :roll:
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Why put the score on the scoreboard??? Why have refs ???
Bluewhitefan

Re: Squirt Age Limited to 35 games still?

Post by Bluewhitefan »

bestbuyer wrote:I just read an article in todays Star and Trib about John Maddens son who plays for the 41-0 Edina Squirt A team. Is the 35 game rule out now? Because they are so good we will allow them 6 extra games? Is this a Minnesota Hockey rule or District 6? Do clubs just police themselves with this rule?
If you factor in the fact that most of this team's games went to running time, they probably played less than 35!
Toomuchtoosoon

Post by Toomuchtoosoon »

Don't worry folks, they had a 3:1 practice to game ratio.
the_juiceman

Post by the_juiceman »

Bluewhitefan wrote:
bestbuyer wrote:I just read an article in todays Star and Trib about John Maddens son who plays for the 41-0 Edina Squirt A team. Is the 35 game rule out now? Because they are so good we will allow them 6 extra games? Is this a Minnesota Hockey rule or District 6? Do clubs just police themselves with this rule?
If you factor in the fact that most of this team's games went to running time, they probably played less than 35!
what?
iwearmysunglassesatnight

Post by iwearmysunglassesatnight »

[quote="Bluewhitefan"][quote="bestbuyer"]I just read an article in todays Star and Trib about John Maddens son who plays for the 41-0 Edina Squirt A team. Is the 35 game rule out now? Because they are so good we will allow them 6 extra games? Is this a Minnesota Hockey rule or District 6? Do clubs just police themselves with this rule?[/quote]

If you factor in the fact that most of this team's games went to running time, they probably played less than 35![/quote]

classic, top 10 post !

disclaimer- oh and i too like it when edina loses
Was a duster and paying for it?????
peterthepuck

Post by peterthepuck »

You knew someone was going to jump all over the Star&Trib article about games and how many games squirts are allowed to play.

People, It's squirt hockey, wowwwwww. 3/4's of all your little superstars will not even sniff the ice in HS, let alone the NHL. There is always the KHL
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

peterthepuck wrote:You knew someone was going to jump all over the Star&Trib article about games and how many games squirts are allowed to play.

People, It's squirt hockey, wowwwwww. 3/4's of all your little superstars will not even sniff the ice in HS, let alone the NHL. There is always the KHL
I've been keeping track. This is the 31,857th time in this forum that someone has reminded me it's squirt hockey and pointed out my kid will not make the NHL. You'd think I would be discouraged by now.

3/4's huh? So your saying there's a chance...... :D
Solving all of hockey's problems since Feb 2009.
puckeyone

Post by puckeyone »

First one has to remember its Edina, the same community that walked out of Roseau in the bantam tournament, Second for those think that the district tournament only counted as one game, well do the math , they did not loose all year therefor they could have only played 3 games in the district tournament unless D-6 has another way getting more games in a tournament. Third one goes Back to D-6, do you really think they care about the rules, HAHA.. But really what does all matter anyhow as next year if MN Hockey stays with USA hockey and bans checking at the peewees, most of D-6 will be playing something else than MN Hockey and will be able to play what ever they feel.. Ah , thats what there doing right now so I maybe wrong,,,,,,,, I ask D-6 was there any punishment for the the Roseau fiasco, and what will be done about this?
buttend

Post by buttend »

puckeyone wrote:First one has to remember its Edina, the same community that walked out of Roseau in the bantam tournament, Second for those think that the district tournament only counted as one game, well do the math , they did not loose all year therefor they could have only played 3 games in the district tournament unless D-6 has another way getting more games in a tournament. Third one goes Back to D-6, do you really think they care about the rules, HAHA.. But really what does all matter anyhow as next year if MN Hockey stays with USA hockey and bans checking at the peewees, most of D-6 will be playing something else than MN Hockey and will be able to play what ever they feel.. Ah , thats what there doing right now so I maybe wrong,,,,,,,, I ask D-6 was there any punishment for the the Roseau fiasco, and what will be done about this?
Chill out!...

"The post season District 6 tournament does not count toward the 35
game limit" D6 Playing Rules Sect 10.3

In Looking at their "posted" game schedule they have 37 games before the District tournament. They played 4 games in Districts because they made it to the Champ game, thus 41 total. 2 weeks before Districts they played 6 games in Fargo because they made it to the Champ game there too!. That tournament is a 4 game guarantee tournament. The Semi final and Final games were the "extra" 2 games. Any sensible coach would plan that event as 4 games when planning the season! Looks to me like they planned a 35 game season but in the end the kids were rewarded with 2 more games because they made it to the final game and won the Fargo Event!
iwearmysunglassesatnight

Post by iwearmysunglassesatnight »

[quote="puckeyone"]if MN Hockey stays with USA hockey and bans checking at the peewees, most of D-6 will be playing something else than MN Hockey quote]

most? Highly unlikely.

Edina has some pull with D6. If D6 in the past has enforced penalties for over game limit to others, it would be interesting to see if they let this one slip by.
Was a duster and paying for it?????
TheJet

Post by TheJet »

buttend wrote:
puckeyone wrote:First one has to remember its Edina, the same community that walked out of Roseau in the bantam tournament, Second for those think that the district tournament only counted as one game, well do the math , they did not loose all year therefor they could have only played 3 games in the district tournament unless D-6 has another way getting more games in a tournament. Third one goes Back to D-6, do you really think they care about the rules, HAHA.. But really what does all matter anyhow as next year if MN Hockey stays with USA hockey and bans checking at the peewees, most of D-6 will be playing something else than MN Hockey and will be able to play what ever they feel.. Ah , thats what there doing right now so I maybe wrong,,,,,,,, I ask D-6 was there any punishment for the the Roseau fiasco, and what will be done about this?
Chill out!...

"The post season District 6 tournament does not count toward the 35
game limit" D6 Playing Rules Sect 10.3

In Looking at their "posted" game schedule they have 37 games before the District tournament. They played 4 games in Districts because they made it to the Champ game, thus 41 total. 2 weeks before Districts they played 6 games in Fargo because they made it to the Champ game there too!. That tournament is a 4 game guarantee tournament. The Semi final and Final games were the "extra" 2 games. Any sensible coach would plan that event as 4 games when planning the season! Looks to me like they planned a 35 game season but in the end the kids were rewarded with 2 more games because they made it to the final game and won the Fargo Event!

fyi - the Fargo tournament was a 5 game guarantee.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Can D6 be a leader and tell D2 that it just DON'T matter!!!! Let the kids play. I don't think kids join to skate cones. Who cares about the ADM. LET THEM PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!
sorno82

Post by sorno82 »

None of these kids were severly damaged so leave it alone.

Get a life people. Little nicer, same point
Last edited by sorno82 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the_juiceman

Post by the_juiceman »

sorno82 wrote:None of these kids were severly damaged to shut the F* up and leave it alone.

Get a life people.
if you're going to rant--at least get the words right.
the_juiceman

Post by the_juiceman »

old goalie85 wrote:Can D6 be a leader and tell D2 that it just DON'T matter!!!! Let the kids play. I don't think kids join to skate cones. Who cares about the ADM. LET THEM PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!
that's a great way of thinking....If you don't like the rules & policies, make up your own. :-k What does USA & MH know any how!! :-#