DID THE REFS ACTUALLY BLOW A GAME????

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Over-turn the game?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 90

inthestands

Post by inthestands »

Doesn't seem like poking at the goalie's leg while you are moving across the net to the right while the puck is across on the other side of the goalie to the left would make any difference at all.

That's incorrect. The shooter gets one pass at the goalie with the puck. If any form of 2nd effort was in place prior to the puck crossing the goal line, no goal would be the correct call.
defense

Post by defense »

inthestands wrote:
Junior Samples wrote:
mulefarm wrote: Junior,
After talking with the head of the officals association, the play was not as black and white as you stated. Your statements about these officals is uncalled for. Please post your real name so you can be punished and learn a lesson.
Hey mulefarm, don't you think somebody ought to take responsibility for their mistake? The officials in this game were at a public event, performing public duties and and making public decisions which affected the dreams of many young men since they were old enough to skate. Their names were made public on the internet long before I posted them here on minnhock.

Perhaps it is not their fault - and I have said this in previous posts when I admonished the MSHSL. If many of us here on the Forum had our way, I'm sure we would love to publish the names of those in the MSHSL who made the decision to "not make it right". There are consequences for those who do not follow the rules.

WHY IS THERE NO RESPONSIBILITY HERE? This is the PROBLEM with our own country. The bailouts, the mortgage crisis - but I won't get into that here. I really don't blame the officials, I blame the MSHSL for not reversing the decision because that was the right thing to do. Do you disagree with that?

You want to take me out to the ballpark? Then publish your name here too Buddy so I know who I'm going to the game with.
Junior, what if the right call was made?
Since we're all just posting opinions on what has been written on this forum....I thought the story was that the ref acknowledged the fact that the puck whent in the net, but called it off due to the puck deflecting off of the goalie...not because the shooter put in his own rebound...
Not starting something, just saying....
I think this is more important at this time:
Go Alexandria, represent Section 6 proudly!!!!
gaborik

Post by gaborik »

Correct defence
snakedude11

Post by snakedude11 »

Would you guys just stop talking about this, we all know the refs blew the call, but its over and done with so talk about something new already......
gaborik

Post by gaborik »

snake- don't click on this topic if you don't want to read anymore its simple
snakedude11

Post by snakedude11 »

Touche gaborik, the only reason I clicked was to see if it was the exact same argument from a week ago, since I was too lazy to read thru all 7 pages, did they ever delete the names of the Ref's off here that some moron put on?
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

snakedude11 wrote:Touche gaborik, the only reason I clicked was to see if it was the exact same argument from a week ago, since I was too lazy to read thru all 7 pages, did they ever delete the names of the Ref's off here that some moron put on?
Nope, Junior Samples did not delete it.
snakedude11

Post by snakedude11 »

what a moron, somebody should just delete him off of minnhock for that idiotic behavior......
Junior Samples

accountability

Post by Junior Samples »

snakedude11 wrote:what a moron, somebody should just delete him off of minnhock for that idiotic behavior......
There you go snakedude11 - now you can't delete your comment.

Fivehole628 said that Junior Samples did not delete his post when he published the names of the officials who blew the call. Once it has been quoted, it is out of control of the original poster.

I don't believe I have to defend my decision to publish the names of the officials who called the game at hand. Somebody asked who they were - I simply answered their question. I was publishing a fact, not a lie. Besides, all information on the officials, players, coaches, etc. had already been published on the internet.

So get your head out of the sand snakedude11. If you have trouble dealing with reality then perhaps you need some professional help.

If the shoe were on the other foot, you hypocrites would be agreeing with me.

I know for a fact that those who are complaining are not Fergus Falls fans and that some of them are referees themselves. Some are Sartell fans. Some are just people who like to "flame" here on minnhock.

I am a huge Fergus Falls fan and have put a lot into the program only to see some men have the power to break the rules and squash the dreams of kids who earned the right to play Alexandria in a championship game to go to the State Tournament in St. Paul. And I'm not referring to just the referees here either.

If you or anyone else who disagrees with me putting the names of those who broke the rules out there have a problem with this, then frankly you either don't know the difference between right and wrong, or you do and you don't care. Despite the math they teach in school nowadays, two wrongs do not make a right.

If somebody doesn't expose the travesty that took place here, then the dignity of the game of hockey is at risk.

There are many people who won't let this go, and perhaps they shouldn't. They should use this as a lesson so that the same mistakes never happen again.

The ruling "Human Error" is not only a copout, it is downright insulting.

Arrogance and fear of "an about face" are the culprits here. I'm sure those referees are good men, and as I said before if not for their "refusal to make sure their decision was correct before they acted" I would not hold this against them. I blame the MSHSL more than anyone or anything. They knew what should have happened and they failed the system. They failed the hockey world. They failed the tournament they sponsor, itself.

It's one thing when life isn't fair and there isn't any recourse to correct it. It's another when what wasn't fair could be made right, but was ignored.

That my friend, is immoral. No judgement here. Just facts.

There is a reason why this tread is not locked and comments have not been deleted. There needs to be healthy debate. I can take the name-calling and threats on here. I've nothing to be ashamed of. I stand by my decision and I know there are many, many people who agree with me, but do not want to get involved because of the lynch mob mentality of certain people on this board to those who state the facts of the game and their opinions on the decisions of those facts.

You think those referees feel bad? How do you think those hockey players from Fergus Falls feel? How do you think Luke Gervais feels? How do you think Sartell feels, knowing they dodged a bullet intended to end their season earlier then it did? What life lesson did the MSHSL teach these young men who were on the short end of the stick?

There is no excuse whatsover why the MSHSL couldn't reverse the decision made by the referees. Afterall, it is their tournament and there was plenty of time between the semi-final and the championship for those involved to make to make the necessary arrangments.

inthestands asked me "Junior, what if the right call was made?" My answer to him is simply this: This thread would not exist; Fergus Falls and Alexandria would have played for the right to go to the State Tournament; and the result may have been different. That scenerio would seem apparent.
yahoo serious!
BBB

Post by BBB »

If somebody doesn't expose the travesty that took place here, then the dignity of the game of hockey is at risk.
I have got news for you Jr., the game has bigger things to worry about than a blown call at a fergus falls hs hockey game. Regardless of the call, hockey as a sport will be ok. In fact, with the success of the US Olympic team and how well hockey was portrayed on a world scale the same time of the FF/Sartell game, I don't think the game is in trouble.
What life lesson did the MSHSL teach these young men who were on the short end of the stick?
Life isn't always fair. Deal with it and move on. It isn't the worst thing that will ever happen to these players.
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

inthestands asked me "Junior, what if the right call was made?" My answer to him is simply this: This thread would not exist; Fergus Falls and Alexandria would have played for the right to go to the State Tournament; and the result may have been different. That scenerio would seem apparent.

My question remains the same. I have no bias for any of the teams or people involved. I can appreciate your relationship to a local team, and stong feelings about seeing them prosper, but more importantly recieving fair treatment in a contest. That's something we all expect, and demand.

What if the appropriate call was no goal? I wasn't there, and don't know the exact chain of events the officials witnesed. I do have a decent understanding of the penalty shot rule. I'm confident the officials working the game did as well. They would have had the best veiw of any small detail since they were standing next to the net, on the ice.

I've not seen anything from the MSHSL, teams, or anyone else in an authoritative position admitting or dictating impropriety. The bracket scores on the MSHSL site clearly indicate the victor.

On a personal note. I never put proper names on a message board. At least I hope I haven't. No matter the situation, that is undeserved. You are correct in the statement that two wrongs don't make a right.

If you're thinking this thread will have much of an impact on any decision making, I hope you are wrong. The last thing the MSHSL or anyone else should do is resort to reading fan opinion on what happens in a game situation. There are two teams, goal judges, officials and minor officials in the scorebox to run through game details.
fivehole628

Re: accountability

Post by fivehole628 »

Junior Samples wrote:
snakedude11 wrote:what a moron, somebody should just delete him off of minnhock for that idiotic behavior......
There you go snakedude11 - now you can't delete your comment.

Fivehole628 said that Junior Samples did not delete his post when he published the names of the officials who blew the call. Once it has been quoted, it is out of control of the original poster.

I don't believe I have to defend my decision to publish the names of the officials who called the game at hand. Somebody asked who they were - I simply answered their question. I was publishing a fact, not a lie. Besides, all information on the officials, players, coaches, etc. had already been published on the internet.

So get your head out of the sand snakedude11. If you have trouble dealing with reality then perhaps you need some professional help.

If the shoe were on the other foot, you hypocrites would be agreeing with me.

I know for a fact that those who are complaining are not Fergus Falls fans and that some of them are referees themselves. Some are Sartell fans. Some are just people who like to "flame" here on minnhock.

I am a huge Fergus Falls fan and have put a lot into the program only to see some men have the power to break the rules and squash the dreams of kids who earned the right to play Alexandria in a championship game to go to the State Tournament in St. Paul. And I'm not referring to just the referees here either.

If you or anyone else who disagrees with me putting the names of those who broke the rules out there have a problem with this, then frankly you either don't know the difference between right and wrong, or you do and you don't care. Despite the math they teach in school nowadays, two wrongs do not make a right.

There are many people who won't let this go, and perhaps they shouldn't. They should use this as a lesson so that the same mistakes never happen again.

The ruling "Human Error" is not only a copout, it is downright insulting.

Arrogance and fear of "an about face" are the culprits here. I'm sure those referees are good men, and as I said before if not for their "refusal to make sure their decision was correct before they acted" I would not hold this against them. I blame the MSHSL more than anyone or anything. They knew what should have happened and they failed the system. They failed the hockey world. They failed the tournament they sponsor, itself.

It's one thing when life isn't fair and there isn't any recourse to correct it. It's another when what wasn't fair could be made right, but was ignored.

That my friend, is immoral. No judgement here. Just facts.

There is a reason why this tread is not locked and comments have not been deleted. There needs to be healthy debate. I can take the name-calling and threats on here. I've nothing to be ashamed of. I stand by my decision and I know there are many, many people who agree with me, but do not want to get involved because of the lynch mob mentality of certain people on this board to those who state the facts of the game and their opinions on the decisions of those facts.

You think those referees feel bad? How do you think those hockey players from Fergus Falls feel? How do you think Luke Gervais feels? How do you think Sartell feels, knowing they dodged a bullet intended to end their season earlier then it did? What life lesson did the MSHSL teach these young men who were on the short end of the stick?

There is no excuse whatsover why the MSHSL couldn't reverse the decision made by the referees. Afterall, it is their tournament and there was plenty of time between the semi-final and the championship for those involved to make to make the necessary arrangments.

Time to grow up Junior :roll: This is over a week old, your team lost, get over it! How can you say that "human error" is insulting?? Have you never made a mistake?? I thought so. And I guarentee you a different result would not have happened, Fergus would have lost anyway.

Honestly I could care less about this topic anymore because it's dead and gone now. But your arrogance is getting to the extreme... and i'm sure i'm not the only one your pissing off...

Get over it and move on. Thank you.
bronco2828

Post by bronco2828 »

This is one instance where a blown call should be over turned. But we all know how idiotic the MSHSL can be. If it were a college or pro game the play would have been reviewed and that would have given the officials plenty of time to discuss the the play and get the call right. From this day forward I hope that all the Refs get some kind of communication on the situation and the correct ruling is made in the future. Maybe figure out some way to have cameras above the goal line for all section semi-final and final games. Expensive, But it would keep these type of situations having the wrong ruling and the wrong team going to the "X".
gaborik

Post by gaborik »

Five hole- how do you know fergus would have lost in the final? The 1st time they played each other it was 3-2 Alex. 2nd time it was 3-1 with an empty netter. But in both games Lucas Gervais didn't play and he is FF best player hands down. I think the game would have been alot better than the Sartell Alex game. Plus ff's carr is a heck of a lot better than Sartell's Ordenoff or whatever his name is. Just my opinion..
wingmaster

Post by wingmaster »

bronco2828 wrote:This is one instance where a blown call should be over turned. But we all know how idiotic the MSHSL can be. If it were a college or pro game the play would have been reviewed and that would have given the officials plenty of time to discuss the the play and get the call right. From this day forward I hope that all the Refs get some kind of communication on the situation and the correct ruling is made in the future. Maybe figure out some way to have cameras above the goal line for all section semi-final and final games. Expensive, But it would keep these type of situations having the wrong ruling and the wrong team going to the "X".
Well then you should have ran on the ice and declared i will pay for the the cameras, and the situation would have never made it to a forum of a bunch of has-beens. Like myself.
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

wingmaster wrote:
bronco2828 wrote:This is one instance where a blown call should be over turned. But we all know how idiotic the MSHSL can be. If it were a college or pro game the play would have been reviewed and that would have given the officials plenty of time to discuss the the play and get the call right. From this day forward I hope that all the Refs get some kind of communication on the situation and the correct ruling is made in the future. Maybe figure out some way to have cameras above the goal line for all section semi-final and final games. Expensive, But it would keep these type of situations having the wrong ruling and the wrong team going to the "X".
Well then you should have ran on the ice and declared i will pay for the the cameras, and the situation would have never made it to a forum of a bunch of has-beens. Like myself.
I am in the minority here I think, BUT if they review goals at the X to make sure a teams season doesn't end incorrectly don't all the teams deserve the same courtesy? What I really want is the reviews to end at state and the refs to just do the job they are payed to do.
Snap Shot

Post by Snap Shot »

inthestands wrote:inthestands asked me "Junior, what if the right call was made?" My answer to him is simply this: This thread would not exist; Fergus Falls and Alexandria would have played for the right to go to the State Tournament; and the result may have been different. That scenerio would seem apparent.

My question remains the same. I have no bias for any of the teams or people involved. I can appreciate your relationship to a local team, and stong feelings about seeing them prosper, but more importantly recieving fair treatment in a contest. That's something we all expect, and demand.

What if the appropriate call was no goal? I wasn't there, and don't know the exact chain of events the officials witnesed. I do have a decent understanding of the penalty shot rule. I'm confident the officials working the game did as well. They would have had the best veiw of any small detail since they were standing next to the net, on the ice.

I've not seen anything from the MSHSL, teams, or anyone else in an authoritative position admitting or dictating impropriety. The bracket scores on the MSHSL site clearly indicate the victor.

On a personal note. I never put proper names on a message board. At least I hope I haven't. No matter the situation, that is undeserved. You are correct in the statement that two wrongs don't make a right.

If you're thinking this thread will have much of an impact on any decision making, I hope you are wrong. The last thing the MSHSL or anyone else should do is resort to reading fan opinion on what happens in a game situation. There are two teams, goal judges, officials and minor officials in the scorebox to run through game details.
FYI... MSHSL has admittied that the wrong call was made according to the rule, but that the game if "final" according to the refs call at the time and there is no vehicle to overturn a result.

Sad but true.
wingmaster

Post by wingmaster »

ACTUALFORMERPLAYER wrote:
wingmaster wrote:
I am in the minority here I think, BUT if they review goals at the X to make sure a teams season doesn't end incorrectly don't all the teams deserve the same courtesy? What I really want is the reviews to end at state and the refs to just do the job they are payed to do.
The X has camera equipment! High School rinks do not. you are also in the minority just to confirm that for you.
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

gaborik wrote:Five hole- how do you know fergus would have lost in the final? The 1st time they played each other it was 3-2 Alex. 2nd time it was 3-1 with an empty netter. But in both games Lucas Gervais didn't play and he is FF best player hands down. I think the game would have been alot better than the Sartell Alex game. Plus ff's carr is a heck of a lot better than Sartell's Ordenoff or whatever his name is. Just my opinion..
Ok
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

Snap Shot wrote:
inthestands wrote:inthestands asked me "Junior, what if the right call was made?" My answer to him is simply this: This thread would not exist; Fergus Falls and Alexandria would have played for the right to go to the State Tournament; and the result may have been different. That scenerio would seem apparent.

FYI... MSHSL has admittied that the wrong call was made according to the rule, but that the game if "final" according to the refs call at the time and there is no vehicle to overturn a result.

Sad but true.
Not that I wouldn't believe everything I see on a message board but, how about the link to this addmission?

Seems like people can produce the officials names with little difficulty.

Since so many people "know" the MSHSL addmitted wrong doing, let's have the internet link where you've found this..
INDUS

refs

Post by INDUS »

It's time to put this subject to bed. The state tourney has replay in place for the state tourney, I'll bet in the officials meeting they talk about THE CALL.
Snap Shot

Post by Snap Shot »

inthestands wrote:
Snap Shot wrote:

Sad but true.
Not that I wouldn't believe everything I see on a message board but, how about the link to this addmission?

Seems like people can produce the officials names with little difficulty.

Since so many people "know" the MSHSL addmitted wrong doing, let's have the internet link where you've found this..
I was given this info directly during a personal phone call with a high level person at MSHSL. The source also told me they are working on a system to prevent a repeat, and may look at changing the way situations like this are handled regarding reversing a clear rules error in the future.

In defense of MSHSL, this person was very responsive to my inquiry. If you have a better source, let us know.
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

I was given this info directly during a personal phone call with a high level person at MSHSL. The source also told me they are working on a system to prevent a repeat, and may look at changing the way situations like this are handled regarding reversing a clear rules error in the future.

In defense of MSHSL, this person was very responsive to my inquiry. If you have a better source, let us know.

I don't have a better source, nor did I say I had pertinent information either way on this situation. But others here have.

I don't buy into the "here say" on message boards. If there has been an admission to wrong doing, let's have a link to define exactly what happened..

"If" there was a mistake made, and the MSHSL is looking into correcting future issues, that is what a responsible organization should do. Bottom line, when you have humans making decisions in sporting events, there will always be the potential for controversy in decision making. The system can be improved, but not perfected.

Until then, I'll wait for some sort of better proof other than "he said, she said". Unless of course you have a name, and that person is willing to make a public statement..
bronco2828

Post by bronco2828 »

wingmaster wrote:
Idiot wingmaster. Nuff said.
Junior Samples

Re: accountability

Post by Junior Samples »

fivehole628 wrote:Time to grow up Junior :roll: This is over a week old, your team lost, get over it! How can you say that "human error" is insulting?? Have you never made a mistake?? I thought so. And I guarentee you a different result would not have happened, Fergus would have lost anyway.

Honestly I could care less about this topic anymore because it's dead and gone now. But your arrogance is getting to the extreme... and i'm sure i'm not the only one your pissing off...

Perhaps you should go in for some anger management counseling fivehole628 if this is really stressing you out. I never said "human error is insulting" - I said the ruling by the MSHSL was insulting because it was a cop out. An easy way out of taking responsibility for a decision regarding THEIR hockey tournament. Maybe if you quit "speed reading" or at least take a course in "comprehension class" that statement wouldn't have zipped over your skull.

We'll see if you care about this topic anymore - subsequent comments will prove otherwise. It won't go away - maybe on minnhock, but I assure you this will never go away. It will be cited and referred to in the future on many, many occasions, trust me.

You and anyone else pissed off about this pale in comparison to how pissed off the Fergus Falls coaching staff is. :roll:

Since you're so inclined to tell others what to do on this website, perhaps I'll throw your own words back at you:

yahoo serious!