USHL 23 Man Rosters July 1

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

shooter812

USHL 23 Man Rosters July 1

Post by shooter812 »

It's all posted on www.ushl.com but under each roster it has an AFFILIATE ROSTER anybody know what that means because at first I thought it was the people who were drafted but didn't make it but there are some very good players in it i was just curious what it meant....
wild77

affiliates

Post by wild77 »

Affiliates do not count against the team's roster limit. They may play up to 4 games beofre they have to be rostered.
gmoola89

Post by gmoola89 »

i dont get it. affiliates are players that made the team? or they didnt make the team? is it almost like an extended tryout or what?
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

Basically Affiliates are players that the rights are owned, usually for future use. For the most part, they hope to see the affiliated players develop over the winter, and they will be protected through the entry draft next spring. It's very similar to the old "Futures" holds. The USHL would hold their Futures draft in the fall, and the players rights were protected until the tryouts were complete. Now they own the rights longer, that's about it..
shooter812

Post by shooter812 »

So why is Mike Fink on Waterloo's affiliate if he's suppose to be playing there next year?
suntzu

Post by suntzu »

shooter812 wrote:So why is Mike Fink on Waterloo's affiliate if he's suppose to be playing there next year?
So that they can keep more players on the roster heading into training camp. There's no point putting a player on the 25-man roster if you don't need to...

Assuming the intend to keep him for the season (which they do), he'll appear on their 23-man roster this fall.
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

Two possible reasons .. The coach may want a player or two on the 25-man roster for trading purposes... and the second is that perhaps the young man isn't solidly on the team as assumed. If this young man has been assured that he's on the team and will be playing, then it's probably the first. The only way we'll know for sure is if he's enrolled in school (if still in school) AND where he sits on the 1st of October.

I don't mean to spell all of this as bad, but really only the head coach knows for sure where the player stands. MANY a young man has thought he was going to play in the USHL only to find that this isn't the case, right now. I always assume that they coach has a plan, and he's probably not sharing the whole plan with anybody. Think positive, but know that the negative can happen.

So if you ask me what it means if a player is on the affiliated list instead of the roster, I would have to say that it depends, but it's not a great sign in most situations. Of course, exceptions apply all the way around.
Observer85

Post by Observer85 »

suntzu wrote:
shooter812 wrote:So why is Mike Fink on Waterloo's affiliate if he's suppose to be playing there next year?
So that they can keep more players on the roster heading into training camp. There's no point putting a player on the 25-man roster if you don't need to...

Assuming the intend to keep him for the season (which they do), he'll appear on their 23-man roster this fall.
I would not put to much into the Waterloo roster. They have not even had their final tryout which is at the end of this month. Waterloo is always the last team to have their tryouts so the roster they submit to the league to meet the league imposed deadline is really subject to change.
theref

Post by theref »

I though Brady Hjelle was forgoing his senior season to play with the Rough Riders? I didn't see him on the roster, unless it just hasn't been updated or won't be until next season starts.
suntzu

Post by suntzu »

theref wrote:I though Brady Hjelle was forgoing his senior season to play with the Rough Riders? I didn't see him on the roster, unless it just hasn't been updated or won't be until next season starts.
He's listed right there on their affiliate list....