7AA for 2017-2018

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Post by kniven »

SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:
Upfan111 wrote:I had heard pretty much the same thing. Doesn't surprise me, Smalley is a talker, an "me" guy who can spin yarn with best of them. Unfortunately it's always been about him and not the kids or the program. I really think the panel made a mistake.
Hope kids can adjust, I don't think that once proud program will after this.
Once proud program. What does that mean? When were they proud? What people have to be proud for the program to be proud? Just curious. I'm an idiot.
Huh, take a look at the banners Kniven??? as for the committee wow, look at the names on it, but hey they got a new gym, ask some alums what they think. wow
So the alums decide? I'm not angry. :). I just need to know who decides
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

SpOilerfan wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:Sounds like a total "gong show" over in Cloquet. That's too bad parents and "hockey experts" are ruining such a solid group of talent. Hopefully winning can cure much of the drama and silence critics. All the best to Mr. Smalley he deserves the opportunity.
Ask Kniven who was on the committee?? 9 members including 7 connected to the basketball program, you wonder why its a gong show?? not just JL who is upset, more like about every past alumni including some very prominent ones, sad class A here they come
Is the Cloquet AD anti hockey? Wow!
Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 »

kniven wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote: Once proud program. What does that mean? When were they proud? What people have to be proud for the program to be proud? Just curious. I'm an idiot.
Huh, take a look at the banners Kniven??? as for the committee wow, look at the names on it, but hey they got a new gym, ask some alums what they think. wow
So the alums decide? I'm not angry. :). I just need to know who decides
What do you think makes a proud program? I have my own opinion...but No section final in last 9 years, basically a .500 team last 10 years. I wouldn't consider that proud.

I think the 80's and 90s when the was 1 class hockey, later tier I and II and then opting up while still competing with section 7AA, making it to section finals and giving it a run to state. Kennedy and McFarlane coached teams; Millen, Plante, JL, Mrozik and later Wilson.

I've spoken with a few alumni who went on to compete at college / jr and NHL level after they graduated from Cloquet and they are not impressed with this hire.

Good luck to the kids.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Ok. Understand. Teams that go to state are proud. Makes sense. So can a program be proud without going to state very often and have never won a game at state. That's an interesting opinion you have.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

kniven wrote:Ok. Understand. Teams that go to state are proud. Makes sense. So can a program be proud without going to state very often and have never won a game at state. That's an interesting opinion you have.
Hey wait a minute. That sounds a lot like WBL.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Are the White Bear Lake Bears hockey program a proud program? I always thought they were and are absolutely!
Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 »

kniven wrote:Ok. Understand. Teams that go to state are proud. Makes sense. So can a program be proud without going to state very often and have never won a game at state. That's an interesting opinion you have.
State helps, but that isn't all I said in previous message.Sorry, I can't type any slower for you. Keep drinking kool aide, ya it's all about the kids.
kniven

Post by kniven »

No need to apologize. I'm an idiot.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

You can say what you want but there is no way there is a section in the state that has more fire for hockey than 7 does. It's August and most everyone in this thread is either in the penalty box or on the way too it.

I can't wait to see what happens when the lakes start to skim over. :)
kniven

Post by kniven »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:You can say what you want but there is no way there is a section in the state that has more fire for hockey than 7 does. It's August and most everyone in this thread is either in the penalty box or on the way too it.

I can't wait to see what happens when the lakes start to skim over. :)
8) that is too funny! LMFAO!! Yep! Section 7 is lit up with crazy fans from every corner of 218. Elk fan chimes in on occasion but the 218 section 7 is ready to lace em up already :lol:
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

It's Elk football time of year! We didn't lose a game in 2016 and the boys are jacked up and ready for Friday night lights.
kniven

Post by kniven »

wolfman wrote:It's Elk football time of year! We didn't lose a game in 2016 and the boys are jacked up and ready for Friday night lights.
And "good things" for those Elk football kids too! As far as metro football, I'll take the Elks every year wolfman !
kniven

Re: 7AA for 2017-2018

Post by kniven »

HockeyStorm wrote:I think Rapids lost too much.

1. DE
2. ER
3. DM
4. C-E-C
5. GR
6. Andover
7. FL
8. St Francis
9. Cambridge

Hermantown would be the 2 or 3 seed if they played AA.
Interesting. So a team cant win section with the best forward and goalie in the section/state arguably. I guess we will see. Duluth Marshall is a scary dark horse here. They don't care who they play- no interesting transfers/recruits in Marshall this year? Shocked only 2 elite players from Cloquet/Esko/Carlton. Is Duluth East really this stocked - 12 Elite league skaters. I know 8 of them were brought up early to high school- 4 at a time two consecutive years. Bantam teams suffered horribly those years. I guess coach Randolph could see the future, and what those 8 would be today. My apologies to wolfman, but I'm thinking Andover the next 4-6 years will be the dominant metro team in 7AA. Question: is the future forecast of Duluth Marshall better, worse, or the same on recruiting since there move to AA. Do they move back to A in a couple years. Hermantown is never, in my opinion, ever leaving A. Good for them!!
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

kniven wrote:
HockeyStorm wrote:I think Rapids lost too much.

1. DE
2. ER
3. DM
4. C-E-C
5. GR
6. Andover
7. FL
8. St Francis
9. Cambridge

Hermantown would be the 2 or 3 seed if they played AA.
Interesting. So a team cant win section with the best forward and goalie in the section/state arguably. I guess we will see. Duluth Marshall is a scary dark horse here. They don't care who they play- no interesting transfers/recruits in Marshall this year? Shocked only 2 elite players from Cloquet/Esko/Carlton. Is Duluth East really this stocked - 12 Elite league skaters. I know 8 of them were brought up early to high school- 4 at a time two consecutive years. Bantam teams suffered horribly those years. I guess coach Randolph could see the future, and what those 8 would be today. My apologies to wolfman, but I'm thinking Andover the next 4-6 years will be the dominant metro team in 7AA. Question: is the future forecast of Duluth Marshall better, worse, or the same on recruiting since there move to AA. Do they move back to A in a couple years. Hermantown is never, in my opinion, ever leaving A. Good for them!!
Kniven- I would say yes on paper DE is that stacked. As for Rapids Blake is really good but wont have much of a supporting cast and I have a feeling their D is going to be the weak spot. I also agree that Andover is going to be good for the next couple of years. Their coach is a good one and now has the talent. As for DM I think they have a few high end guys but wont have the depth to compete with the top 2/3 teams in the sections
kniven

Post by kniven »

At any rate, it should be fun :). I predict Duluth East advancing this year to state. I think Andover will then take over for the next 4 years as the best team on paper in the section....which doesn't always translate into the team going to state out of 7AA.
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

kniven wrote:At any rate, it should be fun :). I predict Duluth East advancing this year to state. I think Andover will then take over for the next 4 years as the best team on paper in the section....which doesn't always translate into the team going to state out of 7AA.
They will be up there but DE does have 14 Jrs and 13 Sophs on this years team.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Duluth East PeeWee and Bantam teams have been average at best the last 4-6 years. PeeWee were very good last year. East will always be a big out, i.e. Coach Randolph. As far as taltntvon paper, they won't have the horses for at least 3 years. They will probably bring 4 of those talented PeeWee up early with some imports I'm sure. Duluth Eas will always be fine I'm afraid....
kniven

Post by kniven »

School is back in session and high school hockey is that much closer ! #excited #218 hockey #purple
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

kniven wrote:School is back in session and high school hockey is that much closer ! #excited #218 hockey #purple
So I assume you are back on the Cloquet bandwagon?? hard to keep up
kniven

Post by kniven »

SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:School is back in session and high school hockey is that much closer ! #excited #218 hockey #purple
So I assume you are back on the Cloquet bandwagon?? hard to keep up
The team in purple is/has/will always be my favorite squad. I was very disappointed with the situation and vented. I feel much better now. Seeing the kids more now with school back in session.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Usthockey13 wrote:They will be up there but DE does have 14 Jrs and 13 Sophs on this years team.
Wow. Do they use both benches so everybody has a spot to sit? :D
kniven

Post by kniven »

So. Duluth East back into the Lake Superior Conference in football this fall and playing Hermantown in football. Will this be the case for hockey in the near future? Probably not but just asking.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

kniven wrote:So. Duluth East back into the Lake Superior Conference in football this fall and playing Hermantown in football. Will this be the case for hockey in the near future? Probably not but just asking.
Are you sure they are in the Lake Superior Conference for Football? I know they localized their schedule for less travel but I don't know that they are in the Lake Superior Conference.

As far as Hockey, no, that will never happen. They already play Denfeld and Superior because of tradition. They can't afford to give up two more AA opponents for meaningless games against Class A teams.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Jeffy95 wrote:
kniven wrote:So. Duluth East back into the Lake Superior Conference in football this fall and playing Hermantown in football. Will this be the case for hockey in the near future? Probably not but just asking.
Are you sure they are in the Lake Superior Conference for Football? I know they localized their schedule for less travel but I don't know that they are in the Lake Superior Conference.

As far as Hockey, no, that will never happen. They already play Denfeld and Superior because of tradition. They can't afford to give up two more AA opponents for meaningless games against Class A teams.
I guess I'm not sure. I film for Esko football this year for the kids and coaches. And prior to the year starting, we scrimmaged with Hermantown and Duluth East in Esko, and that was the talk. Over the last several years, East football coaches have told me for football. they want back in the LSC to play local football. and that was the only way local football teams would put them on their schedule. it's no biggie. just curious =)
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

kniven wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:

I guess I'm not sure. I film for Esko football this year for the kids and coaches. And prior to the year starting, we scrimmaged with Hermantown and Duluth East in Esko, and that was the talk. Over the last several years, East football coaches have told me for football. they want back in the LSC to play local football. and that was the only way local football teams would put them on their schedule. it's no biggie. just curious =)
It would make sense in Football, as all of the LSC teams are competitive with them. Doesn't make any sense for Hockey though. They already play the AA teams in the conference for regular season Section games.