Ice Time

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockeyhead

Ice Time

Post by hockeyhead »

What do most programs give for practice or ice time? <br><br>I know some programs like Edina have almost unlimited ice time. With 3 rinks and 1 high school they can spread out the ice time. <br><br>Do most school share ice between JV and Varsity? Is an hour of ice given to each team? <br><br>I also know that Lakeville now has 7 teams sharing 2 sheets of ice! That has to be a very difficult situation. <br><br>What are other programs doing with their ice?<br><br><br>Hockeyhead<br> <p></p><i></i>
madjagfan

Re: Ice Time

Post by madjagfan »

head--I know you would like to think that Edina would have almost unlimited ice time but look at the numbers they have--according to their website they have "11" girls teams not counting the JV or Varsity--compare this with Bloomington as a whole and they may have "5" girls teams not counting the one JV team and the two Varsity teams--that aside I think Ice Time is at a premium all around the cities. <br><br>I talked to a guy a couple weeks ago who is putting together a group (he has since told me he needs no other investors)to build some privately funded rinks as an investment.<br><br>A couple\three years ago I know that BIG was renting out ice to some of the Edina teams. <p></p><i></i>
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

IGH/Simley usually gets 3-6 hrs per day JV & V. They typically don't skate JV & V together, but do skate some of the JV w/V @ Practice, in scrimmages, etc. as a 3rd/4th line. <p></p><i></i>
hockeyhead

Post by hockeyhead »

ghshockey,<br><br>That's 3 hours for girls and 3 hours for boys high school teams? If this is true it's only of matter of time before Simley is pushing for a state championship. I know the boys had a great team a few years back. <br><br>Hockeyhead<br> <p></p><i></i>
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

Depends on game day for G or B. If away, it is possible to get approx. 3 hrs on each rink for JV & V - or 6 total. It's amazing. The coaches of B & G work together really well too to maximize use of ice based on objectives for each of their teams, if some ice may be able to be used by the other, etc.<br><br>Wild rumored to be coming to Vets next year after lease expires at Parade, and the renovations should be great for the HS programs too. New HS team locker rooms (they have great ones currently), all the amenities, etc. that may come are amazing from what I've heard. Time will tell though as to if this comes to frution - and the nice thing is that if it does it wil have minimal impact ice time availability wise for the HS teams, but will have great benifit in other areas obviously.<br><br>Been neat to see the Wild practicing there already, and all the kids/coaches have pics/sticks/signatures/etc. Very neat for the community and the hockey programs even now as is. IGH also has some current & former NHL'ers in the community which only helps as Edina, etc. knows full well. <p></p><i></i>
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

The way it works is if you have a boys varsity and JV and there is a girls varsity and jv: each team gets the same amount of time. Boys varsity skates 1 1/2 hr, girls varsity skates 1 1/2 hour. JV the same. Who suffers then wehn Ice time is hard to find. I do not know, but I know one HS program that has a girls JV with the 5 players and they take up the same amount of time as trhe boys and someone has to give. When I played high school the JV practiced with the varsity some of the time because indoor ice was hard to find. Now I know that this is a girls thread, but why should a top boys program have to find ice away from their home rink because the 5 girls need to take prime time from them. I know I will strike a nerve with some people, but that is too bad. <br>The gender equity rule should be in place when there is equal numbers, IE a full team, otherwise mix it with the varsity or move to a different rink or try early morning... <p>________________________________<br>Academy of Holy Angels<br>2005 GIRLS STATE CHAMPS!<br>2002 & 2005 BOYS STATE CHAMPS!!<br>GO STARS!!</p><i></i>