Preview article on C-E-C

gr19

Preview article on C-E-C

Post by gr19 »

By Kerry Rodd of the Pine Journal:<br><br>Anticipation is running high just prior to the kickoff of the Cloquet-Esko-Carlton boys hockey season. The Lumberjacks may have graduated one of the top players in the area, but they return some top tier talent and a lot of depth this season.<br>“It is always tough to lose a guy like Mitch (Ryan),” said CEC coach Dave Esse on Monday. “I really like the guys we have coming back and I am really excited about the season.”<br>If the old hockey axiom of being strong from the nets out is key to success, then the Jacks are in good hands with Reid Ellingson.<br>“Reid is one of the most fundamentally sound goaltenders I’ve ever coached or even witnessed at the high school level,” commented Esse. “Obviously, he will be key for us again this year.”<br>Ellingson saw playing time as a freshman, was the go-to man last year as a sophomore and during the summer he was offered a roster spot on the United States National Development Team in Ann Arbor, Mich. Instead, Ellingson elected to come back and play for Esse and his high school teammates.<br>In front of Ellingson the Jacks will have a pair of top notch defenseman in seniors Kyle Olson and Zach Johnson. Olson carries one of the hardest wrist shots ever by a Jacks defenseman and Johnson is a rugged, nasty defenseman.<br>“Those two will be very tough for us,” explained Esse. “Kyle should be looked at by a bunch of schools by the end of this season.”<br>Up front the Jacks return two of the area’s best natural scorers in Tyler Johnson, a junior, and Steve Mlodozyniec, a senior. Johnson is one of the fastest and craftiest players in the area while Mlodozyniec is as strong as a bull on the puck.<br>The Lumberjacks also have tremendous speed in Jason Syrett, who has been impressive in the early portion of the season.<br>“I really think our top two lines will be incredibly fast and a third line where they are extremely tough and hard working,” Esse remarked. “We will take things a day at a time, and a game at a time.”<br>Esse is renowned for his ability to keep his team focused on the essentials.<br>“We stress the basics,” mentioned Esse. “If you can’t cut on your right edge, then what are you going to do in a game when you have to make that play?”<br>With a philosophy that the little things become the big things, Esse appears to have the Lumberjacks on the verge of another Section 7AA title game again this season. <p></p><i></i>
PAMESH

BSM scrimmage

Post by PAMESH »

They will be scrimmaging BSM on Friday. It should be a fun game to watch. I assume both teams will be bringing there Varsity to get them ready for Tuesday. sounds like we will see what BSM is made of. <p></p><i></i>
Grovetown Scotty

Re: BSM scrimmage

Post by Grovetown Scotty »

I watched Ellingson play in the Fall HS Elite League and he was solid in the nets. Held the North squad in the game with a number of great saves. <p></p><i></i>