Section 3A (2013-2014)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

But two years ago, Luverne made it to the finals didn't they?.. So they choked once? Oh my! You could give them some credit..they haven't lost all year, may I mention the only team in the state who hasn't lost. Last year is the past, isn't it?..
Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

Everyone gets to be undefeated in a week once playoffs start at 0-0.
MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:If one team should be wary of basin things on regular season results its Luverne after the choke last year.

I just figured if any fans would know regular season and number 1 seed mean nothing it would be Luverne. But I guess they like setting themselves up for more heart ache again this year.
Did you not read the "Let's play hockey" article? I'm sure everyone on the board as well as Luverne fans have read it. The coach says flat out, "we know being the favorite means NOTHING." A lot of people are pulling for Luverne, because of the story of their program. You say it's just "Luverne fans." But it is really not, a lot of other people are pulling for them, as well as myself.
wooshlager

Post by wooshlager »

3A you do realize you can't be a biased "scout" when you say things like "Luverne will choke" or "Just wait and see." Because you are obviously rooting against them.

You obviously have an agenda, and root openly against them. You have ZERO credibility.

Why don't you answer to any of the posters who ask you questions about what you have against this team? You ignore everyone and then make dumb post after dumb post.

Figure it out.
lamplighter98

Post by lamplighter98 »

[quote="Section 3A HockeyScout"]If one team should be wary of basin things on regular season results its Luverne after the choke last year.

I just figured if any fans would know regular season and number 1 seed mean nothing it would be Luverne. But I guess they like setting themselves up for more heart ache again this year.[/quote]

Playoffs are always a different animal. Look at New Ulm last year. They were supposed to represent and they fell flat as well. So you can't keep beating on Luverne like a birthday piñata
Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

Greetings Section 3A Followers,

Well we are down to one left before the playoffs and the Seeds look pretty much locked up after this weeks action.

I have been told the seeds will be officially announced this Wednesday.

Section 3A 2013-14 Seed Projections
1. Luverne (23-0-1)
2. Willmar (10-11-0)
3. New Ulm (14-10-0)
4. Hutchinson (11-11-0)
5. Marshall (12-9-0)
6. Litchfield-Dassel-Cokato (5-15-1)
7. Windom (8-14-0)
8. Morris Benson (7-16-1)
9. Fairmont (5-16-0)
10. Redwood Valley (4-12-0)
11. Worthington (2-16-0)

Luverne- Has had a wonderful year going (15-0) in the Section. They have beaten or tied everyone they have met so far this year. They have put themselves back into the number 1 seed spot. The question is will they be upset again like last year or will they prove they learned from last year’s embarrassment.

Willmar- Not a Flashy overall record but they have taken care of business inside the Section. They own key wins over New Ulm, Hutch and Marshall. They are your lock for the 2 seed. A senior laden well coached squad should be tough out come playoff time.

New Ulm- Has put together a very solid year. Their only Section loss came at the hands of Willmar otherwise they have taken care of business. Have two very good lines and a goaltender who is playoff tested. New Ulm also is looking for revenge after being upset in the playoffs.

Hutchinson- It has been a very disappointing year in Hutch. Expectations were sky high at the start of the year only to see another dismal season take place. Their sweep of Mound Westonka just shows when they get goaltending they are very dangerous. One would hope they stick with the Senior Allen in net now and I look for them to make a strong playoff run just like last year.

Marshall- A lock at the 5 seed. Only team that played everyone in the Section this year. They beat everyone below them and lost to everyone above them. They are the Defending Champs until someone knocks them out. Does Campion have another Magical run left in him? If they can get some timely scoring the Tigers could surprise much like last year.

LDC- Been a very tough year for LDC again. The Dragons are a lock for the 6 seed having beaten no one above them and handled Windom, Morris Benson and Redwood with routs below them. They are young squad full of some nice sophomores. Wahl will need to be outstanding for the Dragons to make a run.

Windom- Yes one could say they should be the 8 seed. They spilt with Morris Benson during the year. However, Windom easily defeated Fairmont twice this year a team that Morris Benson lost too. I think that locks Windom in at the 7 seed.

Morris Benson- Is either 7 or 8. I think the Storm stay at 8 because of their head to head loss to Fairmont. The Storm have been one of the hotter teams in the section as of late winning 5 of their last 6 games. It will be interesting here to see how they get seeded. I would say 8 but 7 is not out of the question.

Fairmont- They spilt with Worthington and Redwood. They were swept by Windom however, they own a key head to head win over Morris Benson that should lock them in at the 9 seed.

Redwood Valley- Won the 2nd match up with both Fairmont and Worthington they should be a lock for the 10 seed.

Worthington- Really fell on some tough times as the months of January and February rolled around. They are a lock for the 11 seed.

Honestly, I think it is pretty clear on what the seeds should be. Only debate will be Windom and Morris Benson. I think the Common Opponent of Fairmont gives Windom the nod and Windom has more overall talent.

Hope to hear everyone else’s prediction on seeds before Wednesday.

Playoffs will be here in a week and everyone starts over at 0-0 and as last year showed when 4 seed played a 6 seed in the Championship. In Section 3A anything can and will happen.
fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

4:04 a.m. :shock:
MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

I agree with you on the seedlings, like you said, they are pretty clear at this point.
timcorbin21

Post by timcorbin21 »

Luvernes been working hard for some time now. We should hope that the best team goes to State. Assuming they do, whomever they play at State will be gunning for them. Good luck Cards
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

hockeyfan26 wrote:My opinion on the rankings after Saturdays games:

1. Luverne
Has taken care of their opponents pretty easy for the most part so far. Lots of offensive firepower with Nelson, Smed, and Norman. You don't want to get into penalty trouble against the Cardinals as they are posting a 46.7% clip with the man advantage. Pretty dominant and an obvious #1 for me.

2. Willmar
Could easily be the team to beat after giving Alex a run for their money. They are going to play a defensive game so I think the game against Luverne could be very interesting, more than likely deciding who gets the top seed come playoff time.

3. New Ulm
A team that can find scoring from a lot of different places. With the lack of defenseman they cant be as aggressive in the offensive end as they want to be. The loss to St. Peter (although not a section opponent) really hurts them, but were luckily able to steal one from hutch.

4. Hutch
Would have the potential to be a top 20 team in class A if they had a goalie. They showed it against New Ulm outshooting them 51-17. If they can get a younger goalie to step up down the road they could easily be a top 2 seed.

5. Marshall
Played a close one with Willmar 3-1. And are looking to be a more lockdown defensive team with their lack of offensive talent. Has plenty of time to make their case for a higher seed especially with possibly the best goalie in the section.

6. Litchfield
Pretty much a 5b at this point. Only real reason they are maybe a little behind Marshall is because they have the better goalie.

The Rest
7. Windom
8. Worthington
9. Morris/Benson
10. Redwood Valley
11. Fairmont
We need more posts from this guy. This from DEC 14!

NICE!

Trouts brother who got less of the emotion cortex in his brain??
flash4000

Post by flash4000 »

Alright, here we go. I love this time of year! Got another chance to see Luverne on Friday. Much more impressive against Hutch than DC. They had good balance and proved other kids can score, not just the studs. Which leads me to believe they can play with just about anyone, if they are on their A game. Their confidence has to be sky high right now. Very good goal tender, will keep them in any game. I know some of the teams up north are very good, so I don't know how they stack up against them. Havent seen them.

So here is my question. Can Luverne compete with the top teams? I do think, after seeing NP and MW a few times, that Luverne has the ability to play with and beat each of them. Luverne would have to play well, which they have proven this year at times. Would probably come down to how Luverne's 3rd line stacks up and if their defense can hold their own. Luverne's top enders may be more skilled than either of those two teams. Has anyone else on this this thread watched NP and MW, that could give their 2 cents?

I don't see anyone beating Luverne in their section, unless they sustain an injury to one of their studs. Looks like Luverne would create a matchup problem for every team in their section. NUSE may be able to score, but couldn't shut them down. Willmar can slow them down, but won't be able to put up enough points. Hutch tending leaks like a sieve. Marshall cant score.

It would be fun to watch Luverne at the X in a couple of weeks, no matter who they get matched up with. Good luck to everyone.
3Ahockeyspectator

Post by 3Ahockeyspectator »

If scout wants to bring up the past, then I will as well. On one of his posts back in November he said how Luverne wasn't going to be a big competitor this year, that turned out to be quite the statement.
gopherfan7

Post by gopherfan7 »

3Ahockeyspectator wrote:If scout wants to bring up the past, then I will as well. On one of his posts back in November he said how Luverne wasn't going to be a big competitor this year, that turned out to be quite the statement.
oh this will be fun, we have a 3a guy who bashes luverne and now we have one who is going to suck luverne's D. how fun...
sterfry9

Post by sterfry9 »

gopherfan7 wrote:
3Ahockeyspectator wrote:If scout wants to bring up the past, then I will as well. On one of his posts back in November he said how Luverne wasn't going to be a big competitor this year, that turned out to be quite the statement.
oh this will be fun, we have a 3a guy who bashes luverne and now we have one who is going to suck luverne's D. how fun...
i love this thread \:D/...it is pure gold

i didnt follow the 3a thread last year. is the last years thread just as entertaining as this one is ?:)
wooshlager

Post by wooshlager »

Sure was.

I did not peek at 3A till playoff time last year and I instantly was hooked.

Now I just can't get enough. Some of the BS on here is so outrageous that I have to re-read the post to make sure what I read was actually written.
GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 »

That statement will be judged come playoff time. Their season means absolutely nothing if they a. Don't win the section or b. Go 0-2 in routs at State.
MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

After following section one the past few years, section 3 this last year.. I believe West is more talented, EASILY (Lines 1-3) not specific lines, but I'm looking at an all around perspective. BUT, Luverne's goalie is a lot better than west's, IMO. 1A's best goalie is probably Burkel(Lourdes) and 3A's best goalie is Meyer(Luverne)I think we would have a close game between the champion of 1A and 3A..
urban iceman

Post by urban iceman »

flash4000 wrote:Alright, here we go. I love this time of year! Got another chance to see Luverne on Friday. Much more impressive against Hutch than DC. They had good balance and proved other kids can score, not just the studs. Which leads me to believe they can play with just about anyone, if they are on their A game. Their confidence has to be sky high right now. Very good goal tender, will keep them in any game. I know some of the teams up north are very good, so I don't know how they stack up against them. Havent seen them.

So here is my question. Can Luverne compete with the top teams? I do think, after seeing NP and MW a few times, that Luverne has the ability to play with and beat each of them. Luverne would have to play well, which they have proven this year at times. Would probably come down to how Luverne's 3rd line stacks up and if their defense can hold their own. Luverne's top enders may be more skilled than either of those two teams. Has anyone else on this this thread watched NP and MW, that could give their 2 cents?

I don't see anyone beating Luverne in their section, unless they sustain an injury to one of their studs. Looks like Luverne would create a matchup problem for every team in their section. NUSE may be able to score, but couldn't shut them down. Willmar can slow them down, but won't be able to put up enough points. Hutch tending leaks like a sieve. Marshall cant score.

It would be fun to watch Luverne at the X in a couple of weeks, no matter who they get matched up with. Good luck to everyone.
I wouldn't Think that they would even play Mankato or NP unless it was the 3rd place or consolation round at the X. South metro hockey will still get 'no respect' come seeding time. And considering who Luverne plays during the season and who MW and NP plays, I think Luverne's top line would match better with the second and third lines of both those teams IMO, with NO disrespect to Luverne! Good team, but that would be more of a realistic take. With that said I would like to see Luverne at the X, Good story.
Deck Slide

Post by Deck Slide »

MrGoalieBoy wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:
Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:Hutch 5 Mound Westonka 3

Hutch wins a big in Mound a team who hammered both Willmar and NU this season. Looks like the Senior Allen got the start and was very solid stopping 34 of 37 shots. Beware of Hutch they are a dangerous team> If they get solid tending they can beat anyone in this section. Just need to put 3 games together.
What an arrogant statement and just plain dumb... :idea:
Agreed with notTONIGHT..seriously Scout. Luverne beats Hutch 7-1 last night, Allen does NOT make a 6 goal difference in that game..I disagree majorly with you, with solid goaltending, Hutch would maybe, MAYBE be the third best team in this section
Dumbest statement i have heard in while. A goalie can not make up a 6 goal difference.. Campion and Marshall from last year ring a bell. I was at the Hutch Luverne game.. Were you?? The 7-1 score was not an indication of that Luverne is that much more talented than Hutch. In fact they are not. Luverne is good but not that freaking good. No one is really talking about Willmar at all.. Flying under the radar.. Possibly could be a sea of Red for the final..
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

I agree with some earlier posts on this thread. 3A has the most entertaining group of word snipers on this forum! Not even close. What it also has is a bunch of people talking about who might play who in a state tournament that no one has qualified for. I know it is fun to speculate, but cart/horse gentlemen. From what I know of Willmar, they play a style of hockey that has historically been difficult for Luverne to handle. I know they beat them earlier, but the score was not really that indicative of the game from those who told me about it. And Marshall? Forgot about them last year... Still hoping to see Luverne up here in March, but don't forget to show up to play the games!
GopherPuck15

Post by GopherPuck15 »

MrGoalieBoy wrote:After following section one the past few years, section 3 this last year.. I believe West is more talented, EASILY (Lines 1-3) not specific lines, but I'm looking at an all around perspective. BUT, Luverne's goalie is a lot better than west's, IMO. 1A's best goalie is probably Burkel(Lourdes) and 3A's best goalie is Meyer(Luverne)I think we would have a close game between the champion of 1A and 3A..
How can you say definitively that Luverne has a better goalie than West? Luverne's kid has very similar number's to West's Wolenzien, who has a better GAA; the number one in the state, to be exact. All of this, albeit not by a huge margin, against better competition than Luverne's.
MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

GopherPuck15 wrote:
MrGoalieBoy wrote:After following section one the past few years, section 3 this last year.. I believe West is more talented, EASILY (Lines 1-3) not specific lines, but I'm looking at an all around perspective. BUT, Luverne's goalie is a lot better than west's, IMO. 1A's best goalie is probably Burkel(Lourdes) and 3A's best goalie is Meyer(Luverne)I think we would have a close game between the champion of 1A and 3A..
How can you say definitively that Luverne has a better goalie than West? Luverne's kid has very similar number's to West's Wolenzien, who has a better GAA; the number one in the state, to be exact. All of this, albeit not by a huge margin, against better competition than Luverne's.
My apologies, I should have looked into it more, I just thought that at the games that I've watched, I wasn't too impressed with west's goalie. but my bad, ha ha.
MrGoalieBoy

Post by MrGoalieBoy »

hawkenjonny wrote:I agree with some earlier posts on this thread. 3A has the most entertaining group of word snipers on this forum! Not even close. What it also has is a bunch of people talking about who might play who in a state tournament that no one has qualified for. I know it is fun to speculate, but cart/horse gentlemen. From what I know of Willmar, they play a style of hockey that has historically been difficult for Luverne to handle. I know they beat them earlier, but the score was not really that indicative of the game from those who told me about it. And Marshall? Forgot about them last year... Still hoping to see Luverne up here in March, but don't forget to show up to play the games!
IMO, Willmar is just laying back in the grass and they're going to make it to the finals, if Luverne comes to play in their games, they'll be in the section finals too. We would be looking at one hell of a section final game, Gustavus would be ROCKING!
gopherfan7

Post by gopherfan7 »

MrGoalieBoy wrote:
hawkenjonny wrote:I agree with some earlier posts on this thread. 3A has the most entertaining group of word snipers on this forum! Not even close. What it also has is a bunch of people talking about who might play who in a state tournament that no one has qualified for. I know it is fun to speculate, but cart/horse gentlemen. From what I know of Willmar, they play a style of hockey that has historically been difficult for Luverne to handle. I know they beat them earlier, but the score was not really that indicative of the game from those who told me about it. And Marshall? Forgot about them last year... Still hoping to see Luverne up here in March, but don't forget to show up to play the games!
IMO, Willmar is just laying back in the grass and they're going to make it to the finals, if Luverne comes to play in their games, they'll be in the section finals too. We would be looking at one hell of a section final game, Gustavus would be ROCKING!
Luverne SOS according to minnhock: 139
MW SOS according to minnhock: 113

Meyer's stats (Luverne): 17-0-1, 1.14 GAA, .951 sv% and 5 SO
Wollenzein's stats (MW): 14-1, 1.13 GAA, .925 sv% and 5 SO

with a slightly tougher schedule and pretty comparable stats, I'd speculate to say Wollenzein is a better goaltender than Meyer.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

gopherfan7 wrote:
MrGoalieBoy wrote:
Luverne SOS according to minnhock: 139
MW SOS according to minnhock: 113

Meyer's stats (Luverne): 17-0-1, 1.14 GAA, .951 sv% and 5 SO
Wollenzein's stats (MW): 14-1, 1.13 GAA, .925 sv% and 5 SO

with a slightly tougher schedule and pretty comparabel stats, i'd speculate to say Wollenzein is a better goaltender than Meyer.
Id speculate we have a goalie dad on the forum here.....