Sections need to be re-done

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

bardown33

Sections need to be re-done

Post by bardown33 »

I think the sections in AA need to be drastically re-done. Placing 4 of the top 8 teams in one sectio creates a mini state tournament, where other sections are pretty much walkthroughs. Please discuss how you feel either way.

Thanks
easton18

Post by easton18 »

I agree that the sections are not quite balanced, but the truth is they're drawn geographically, and for the most part have to stay the same way they are. 4 of the top 8 (I assume you mean EP, Tonka, Wayzata and BSM) are all located within 10 miles of each other and thats just the way the cookie crumbles...
The Greatness

Post by The Greatness »

I believe that EP should be moved to another section, Tonka should stay in section 6AA and Wayzata or BSM should be moved into section 5 and one should stay in 6AA
The Greatness is always the Best
The Greatness

Post by The Greatness »

I believe that EP should be moved to another section, Tonka should stay in section 6AA and Wayzata or BSM should be moved into section 5 and one should stay in 6AA
The Greatness is always the Best
DL44

Post by DL44 »

I agree that sometimes the sections are not equal, but based on location the sections are fair. The fact is every year is different and you can't keep switching up the sections just because some of the best teams happen to be in one section. I wish there was a fair way to get the most quality teams to state every year, but that's just not going to happen. Plus look at the results so far, all 6 section finals that are set are 1vs 2., with the other 2 sections set up to have 1vs 2 match ups.
stpaul

Sections

Post by stpaul »

The MSHSL has done a nice job of keeping the sections balanced by geography and strength. They have never set it up to have the best 8 be able get to the state tournament. The only way to do that would be to seed all 70-some teams in each class and have a statewide tournament. Nobody wants that. In Class AA, section 1 has been weaker for years and gives the Lakeville schools an advantage. However they and Farmington are the only metro schools that fit according to the map with the southern MN schools. 6AA is very tough and has been for several years. The only way to fix that is to move one or more of them to another geographic section. I don't think the MSHSL wants to start that precedent.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

6AA is not always going to be this strong every year.

Those four teams are peaking at the same time; it happens.

MSHSL is not going to change up the sections based on this.

Besides, sections are always shuffled up around every 4 or so years.

8)
The Puck
LGW
The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 »

Obviously you cannot determine how strong private schools are going to be, but you can assume that they are going to be decent at worst. Why don't they look at the rankings and determine what youth programs are going to be strong. (Bantam A, Peewee A) You can have an idea of who is going to be good and then you can switch them up based on that and location.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Wow, this is a new one! I've never seen anybody complain about how the sections were aligned before! :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
seek & destroy

Re: Sections

Post by seek & destroy »

stpaul wrote:The MSHSL has done a nice job of keeping the sections balanced by geography and strength. They have never set it up to have the best 8 be able get to the state tournament. The only way to do that would be to seed all 70-some teams in each class and have a statewide tournament. Nobody wants that. In Class AA, section 1 has been weaker for years and gives the Lakeville schools an advantage. However they and Farmington are the only metro schools that fit according to the map with the southern MN schools. 6AA is very tough and has been for several years. The only way to fix that is to move one or more of them to another geographic section. I don't think the MSHSL wants to start that precedent.
One option: have the current 8 sections play their initial set of games to get their sections down to the final 4 teams. That means overall you have 32 teams left statewide.

Then create 4 regions each consisting of 8 teams. Those regions could be North/South and North/South Metro or whatever seems like the best approach. The teams in each region are ranked 1-8 and the first round of games will get you down to 4 teams per region. Then the next round will get you to the final two from each region. Those 2 teams go to the X for the State tourney.

The state tourney takes those 8 remaining teams (2 from each region) and ranks them like they do now (1-4 & a draw to see who they play) and the state tourney begins.

It means teams may have to travel a little further for 1 or 2 games during regions but it would allow for a little more flexibility.
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

east hockey wrote:Wow, this is a new one! I've never seen anybody complain about how the sections were aligned before! :mrgreen:

Lee
:lol:

8)
The Puck
LGW
PoNd HocKey ChAmP67

Re: Sections need to be re-done

Post by PoNd HocKey ChAmP67 »

bardown33 wrote:I think the sections in AA need to be drastically re-done. Placing 4 of the top 8 teams in one sectio creates a mini state tournament, where other sections are pretty much walkthroughs. Please discuss how you feel either way.

Thanks
That makes the section tournament all the more fun, it's just the joy of playoffs in the great state of hockey. :)
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

bardown33 wrote:I think the sections in AA need to be drastically re-done. Placing 4 of the top 8 teams in one sectio creates a mini state tournament Image, where other sections are pretty much walkthroughs. Please discuss how you feel either way.
Thanks
Well since you brought it up, some of your section posters whine about it a little too much and it gets old hearing it.
This year Wayzata does not have much bragging rights getting 2 shots at Moorhead and losing both of them. Second time around with a very thin Moorhead line up. From that perspective the ranting gets tiresome.

BSM is overrated BIG TIME....end of story and this why they are out of it. So the team and the fifteen fans can come on here and talk about mini state tournaments all they want while the rest of the teams that have defense and goalteniding play on. The BSM loss proves one thing week defesively and average goaltending but the media darlings love 'em so be it. Image

I do really respect and like Minnetonka and Eden Prairie because by and large they do not come on this board and whine about all the injustice, just get out an play the game.

You got my vote moving BSM out of 6AA to the all private school section that makes sense.

Heres to hoping EP puts the Wayzata team in running time this week.

If not I hope Maple Grove, Lakeville South, East, Rapids or Bemidji, Moorhead draws Wayzata out of the gate at state. That way the overlooked team gets the so called surprise victory. That is what makes the state hockey tournament great!! Image
standout4thlinejver

Post by standout4thlinejver »

I'm shocked it took this long for someone to bring this yearly topic up!
EHSHack

Post by EHSHack »

Someones team didnt make it to State Image
Go Hounds.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

easton18 wrote:I agree that the sections are not quite balanced, but the truth is they're drawn geographically, and for the most part have to stay the same way they are. 4 of the top 8 (I assume you mean EP, Tonka, Wayzata and BSM) are all located within 10 miles of each other and thats just the way the cookie crumbles...
It is supposed to be done geographically, but there are little things here and there that seem odd. Why is Edina in 2AA and Minneapolis in 6AA, for example. Seems like those two should be backwards, looking at a map.

Same thing with some of 7A and 5A. It should be pure geographical, with no ability concerns, in my opinion.
Roseauverrated

Post by Roseauverrated »

east hockey wrote:Wow, this is a new one! I've never seen anybody complain about how the sections were aligned before! :mrgreen:

Lee
No kidding, even I've given up on this subject. Is it fair? No. Is it ever going to change? No. There is always going to be disparity of talent between sections.
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

Bardowm33

You didn't see the BSM Wayzata game so don't make stupid comments. BSM is a very good team that could have won that hame with a bounce or 2 and without the referee waving off 2 goals in the 3rd. BSM did make a few defensive breakdowmns that cost them the game and props to Wayzata for making them pay.
BSM has a great tender (Qualy) that is only a sophmore that played great in sections. All the scouts love this kids talent and ability. He may have the best fundamentals and brightest future in the state for tenders. Best of luck to all the teams remaining.
observer

Post by observer »

BSM has a great tender (Qualy) that is only a sophmore that played great in sections. All the scouts love this kids talent and ability. He may have the best fundamentals and brightest future in the state for tenders.
Can't spell your own kids name?
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

observer wrote:
BSM has a great tender (Qualy) that is only a sophmore that played great in sections. All the scouts love this kids talent and ability. He may have the best fundamentals and brightest future in the state for tenders.
Can't spell your own kids name?
:lol:

8)
The Puck
LGW
Dino

Post by Dino »

I can't disagree with the realignment, however this year we could have the following ranked teams in the tourney
#1-#2-#3-#6-#7-#10-#14 and a Lakeville team---not a bad tourney
HSHockeyPurist

Post by HSHockeyPurist »

MSHSL deserves kudos for making section alignments as fair and reasonable as possible. Never going to make everyone happy and I'm happy they don't bow down to the complainers. Minor readjustments every 4 years or so ensures that any drastic change in programs, new schools, combined or closed schools, and traditional rivalries can be addressed. The section tournaments in my opinion are better than the state tournament in terms of intensity and brand of hockey. Don't mess with a very good product that produces a good state tournament every year, even if it doesn't include the teams ranked 1-8.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Lee
Private school state tournament!

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
PuckU126

Post by PuckU126 »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:Private school state tournament!

:idea:

8)
The Puck
LGW
rhino06

Post by rhino06 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
bardown33 wrote:I think the sections in AA need to be drastically re-done. Placing 4 of the top 8 teams in one sectio creates a mini state tournament Image, where other sections are pretty much walkthroughs. Please discuss how you feel either way.
Thanks
Well since you brought it up, some of your section posters whine about it a little too much and it gets old hearing it.
This year Wayzata does not have much bragging rights getting 2 shots at Moorhead and losing both of them. Second time around with a very thin Moorhead line up. From that perspective the ranting gets tiresome.

BSM is overrated BIG TIME....end of story and this why they are out of it. So the team and the fifteen fans can come on here and talk about mini state tournaments all they want while the rest of the teams that have defense and goalteniding play on. The BSM loss proves one thing week defesively and average goaltending but the media darlings love 'em so be it. Image

I do really respect and like Minnetonka and Eden Prairie because by and large they do not come on this board and whine about all the injustice, just get out an play the game.

You got my vote moving BSM out of 6AA to the all private school section that makes sense.

Heres to hoping EP puts the Wayzata team in running time this week.

If not I hope Maple Grove, Lakeville South, East, Rapids or Bemidji, Moorhead draws Wayzata out of the gate at state. That way the overlooked team gets the so called surprise victory. That is what makes the state hockey tournament great!! Image
Explain this.