DID THE REFS ACTUALLY BLOW A GAME????

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Over-turn the game?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 90

gobears80

usa rules

Post by gobears80 »

Once the player taking the shot has
touched the puck, it must be kept in motion towards the
opponent’s goal line
and once it is shot the play shall be
considered complete. No goal can be scored on a rebound of
any kind
and any time the puck crosses the goal line the shot
shall be considered complete.

these are the rules from USA hockey that state the puck must maintain one direction (towards the goal line) and no goal can be scored on a rebound of any kind (which in theory may mean it can not be rebounded off of the pipe let alone rebounded off of the goalie)

In the case of the Sartell game it did change direction and did rebound off of the goalie. Now does MSHSL use USA rules - I dont know
PoniesDad45

Re: usa rules

Post by PoniesDad45 »

gobears80 wrote:Once the player taking the shot has
opponent’s goal line
any kind

these are the rules from USA hockey that state the puck must maintain one direction (towards the goal line) and no goal can be scored on a rebound of any kind (which in theory may mean it can not be rebounded off of the pipe let alone rebounded off of the goalie)

In the case of the Sartell game it did change direction and did rebound off of the goalie. Now does MSHSL use USA rules - I dont know
I would interpret this as there cannot be a rebound shot by the player, not the goalie. IMO until the goalie stops the puck, as long as no one else touches it, it is a goal from that rule. It's too bad they cannot reverse the result of the game.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

opponent’s goal line
any kind

USAH rules also state that a 'rebound' does not include coming off the pipe and hitting the tender in the casebook.
So per USAH rules the goal should have counted.
I do not know the Natl Fedration rule.
K Dope

Post by K Dope »

I saw an AHL goal like the one described in the Sartell game on youtube and it was counted as good. Can't find it but enjoy this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gpVIATLxsU
bronx18

Post by bronx18 »

That rookie needs to get back to the pond!
gaborik

Re: Fergus Falls was robbed by the MSHSL

Post by gaborik »

fivehole628 wrote: I was standing in the penalty box during this game and saw the penalty shot. I couldn't see from my angle if the puck actually crossed the goal line or not but if you want to make the case for bad calls, then how about the 2 times that Austin Plaine went crashing into the net and the puck crossed the line before the whistle blew and net came off it's moorings? You could make the case that those were goals as well but the ref's weren't able to see it.

Ref's are always going to make mistakes. It's part of the game.

I thought the penalty shot also went in because Gervais started to celebrate, but like i said before I couldn't see from my angle.

KUDOS GOES TO THE FERGUS FALLS GOALIE FOR KEEPING HIS TEAM IN THE GAME!! If it weren't for that kid, the game could have easily been a 5-1 or 6-1 game.

for crashing into a goalie and punching him that is a penalty in itself. no way should sartell be playing in the finals against alex.
Snap Shot

Change the call

Post by Snap Shot »

I HATE this stuff. If they botched the rule...change the call...NOW.

Somebody call the section office and MSHSL and get them to change it. They blew it, they can correct it.
gaborik

Re: Change the call

Post by gaborik »

Snap Shot wrote:I HATE this stuff. If they botched the rule...change the call...NOW.

Somebody call the section office and MSHSL and get them to change it. They blew it, they can correct it.

believe donaghue the FF coach tried. but i believe there is no protest rule in high school.

f-ed up IMO excused my language
Snap Shot

Post by Snap Shot »

Thanks for the info Gabby.

It doesn't need to be a protest. MSHSL should just step up and do what's right.

Let the team that EARNED the right to play on advance.

You see this in sports and elswhere. Everybody knows they blew it, but there's this whole notion that "we don't want to open that can of worms" or "human error is part of the game." BULL.

Somebody from MSHSL step up here and do the RIGHT THING. This is a correctable error.

I have no skin in this game, but this sickens me. What a disgrace for MSHSL and hockey in Minnesota.

Correct the mistake, and let the team that ACTUALLY WON the game advance. Somebody grow a pair here.
defense

Post by defense »

opponent’s goal line
any kind

So then when the shooter pulls the puck back to let a wrister go, the play is dead....right?????? Probably not, but if you go directly with what is stated there, that would be the case: no pulling the puck back to let a wrist shot go....
gaborik

Post by gaborik »

Makes sense to me defence
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

gaborik wrote:
fivehole628 wrote: I was standing in the penalty box during this game and saw the penalty shot. I couldn't see from my angle if the puck actually crossed the goal line or not but if you want to make the case for bad calls, then how about the 2 times that Austin Plaine went crashing into the net and the puck crossed the line before the whistle blew and net came off it's moorings? You could make the case that those were goals as well but the ref's weren't able to see it.

I thought the penalty shot also went in because Gervais started to celebrate, but like i said before I couldn't see from my angle.

KUDOS GOES TO THE FERGUS FALLS GOALIE FOR KEEPING HIS TEAM IN THE GAME!! If it weren't for that kid, the game could have easily been a 5-1 or 6-1 game.

for crashing into a goalie and punching him that is a penalty in itself. no way should sartell be playing in the finals against alex.
You obviously weren't watching this game close enough... he didnt RUN the goalie over. He and a FF player went crashing into the goalie both times. Both times the puck crossed the line before the net was dislodged or the whistle was blown.
And punching him? Really... :lol: Now your just making things up to make Sartell look like the bad guys... :roll:

And yes, Sartell is the better team. You should be congratulating your goaltender for one helluva game instead of bashing Sartell and the refs. Yes the refs weren't great. I'm not gonna argue if the penalty shot went in or not because from my angle I couldn't tell. You are lucky to have such a stud in nets behind you. Goodluck to you guys next year.
MnPride2

Post by MnPride2 »

"4.7.4 SITUATION: On a penalty shot, the puck (a) hits the post, hits the back of the goalkeeper’s leg and enters the goal, or (b) hits the glass or boards, hits the goalkeeper’s leg and enters the goal.
RULING: In (a) goal is scored. In (b) no goal is scored, since puck crossed the goal line extended, which nullifies the play."

Pretty cut and dry,ref screwed up...fix it :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
defense

Post by defense »

fivehole628 wrote:
gaborik wrote:

You obviously weren't watching this game close enough... he didnt RUN the goalie over. He and a FF player went crashing into the goalie both times. Both times the puck crossed the line before the net was dislodged or the whistle was blown.
And punching him? Really... :lol: Now your just making things up to make Sartell look like the bad guys... :roll:

And yes, Sartell is the better team. You should be congratulating your goaltender for one helluva game instead of bashing Sartell and the refs. Yes the refs weren't great. I'm not gonna argue if the penalty shot went in or not because from my angle I couldn't tell. You are lucky to have such a stud in nets behind you. Goodluck to you guys next year.
And if you weren't playing against Alexandria for a trip to St. Paul, you would be on here asking about those two supposed goals..... maybe you wouldn't...you'd be on here congratulating your team for a wonderful season right????? 8)
blueline1

Post by blueline1 »

MnPride2 wrote:"4.7.4 SITUATION: On a penalty shot, the puck (a) hits the post, hits the back of the goalkeeper’s leg and enters the goal, or (b) hits the glass or boards, hits the goalkeeper’s leg and enters the goal.
RULING: In (a) goal is scored. In (b) no goal is scored, since puck crossed the goal line extended, which nullifies the play."

Pretty cut and dry,ref screwed up...fix it :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
No excuse for the ref not making sure he was making the right call. If the ref makes the wrong rule interpretation, it should absolutely be reversed!
PoNd HocKey ChAmP67

Post by PoNd HocKey ChAmP67 »

thats ridicolous!
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

Why would I congratulate my team on the forums? :lol:

And I don't play for Sartell :lol:
defense

Post by defense »

fivehole628 wrote:Why would I congratulate my team on the forums? :lol:

Boy........YOU sure got ME!!!! :roll:
PoniesDad45

Re: Change the call

Post by PoniesDad45 »

gaborik wrote:
Snap Shot wrote:I HATE this stuff. If they botched the rule...change the call...NOW.

believe donaghue the FF coach tried. but i believe there is no protest rule in high school.

f-ed up IMO excused my language
Amen. I feel bad for the Seniors especially whos HS hockey days were cut short by a bad call.
OHR

Post by OHR »

opponent’s goal line
any kind

If you read further in the casebook you'll find this...

Later in the casebook this is listed:
Situation 3
During a Penalty Shot attempt, the puck rebounds off the goal
post, hits the back of the goalkeeper’s leg and enters the goal.
Should the goal be awarded or disallowed?
The goal shall be awarded. Rule Reference 406(a).
Even though Rule 406(a) states that no goal shall be scored on
a rebound, this situation is not considered to be a “rebound.”
The word “rebound” in 406(a) means a second shot by the
player after a deflection off the goalkeeper or goal post.
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

defense wrote:

Just a spectator to (imo) the most intense and exciting game i've seen all season. Anywho... enough about me :roll: Back to the topic shall we Mr. Defense?
defense

Post by defense »

fivehole628 wrote:
defense wrote:

Just a spectator to (imo) the most intense and exciting game i've seen all season. Anywho... enough about me :roll: Back to the topic shall we Mr. Defense?
The point is not who you play or played for, the point is try and have some empathy, put yourself in their shoes. I was not at the game, I don't know how the play in question went. Sounds like it was an awesome game, if not surprising.
fivehole628

Post by fivehole628 »

Yeah I get what your saying, it's how my hockey career ended as well... Double o.t. senior season... blown call by the ref in the first overtime led to the other team scoring the next o.t.

Great season Otters.
powerplay009

Post by powerplay009 »

Should be a goal pretty clear that is hould be. I have no idea how you don't know that as a referee that it can go off of the post and in. If any watch NHL shootouts this has happened many times and the goal stands. MSHL should step in and do what is right and award Fergus the game.
dontcallmeshirley

USPS

Post by dontcallmeshirley »

You guys should write a letter.