Tom Gorowsky and RJ Anderson

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Hilltopper99

Tom Gorowsky and RJ Anderson

Post by Hilltopper99 »

I spent a lot of time watching Tom Gorowsky and RJ Anderson light it up for Centennial HS a few years ago, and I'm a surprised and disappointed neither has made much of an impact at the college level. Gorowsky seems like solid player to me (passes well, takes the body, plays the boards well) but he's out of the Badger lineup about half the time. I admittedly do not have the hockey knowledge most people on this board have, especially in terms of discerning specific skill, so I thought maybe someone might have some insights on Gorowsky and Anderson's play. Have they just not developed? Is Gorowsky in the wrong program?
Gopher Blog

Re: Tom Gorowsky and RJ Anderson

Post by Gopher Blog »

Hilltopper99 wrote:I spent a lot of time watching Tom Gorowsky and RJ Anderson light it up for Centennial HS a few years ago, and I'm a surprised and disappointed neither has made much of an impact at the college level. Gorowsky seems like solid player to me (passes well, takes the body, plays the boards well) but he's out of the Badger lineup about half the time. I admittedly do not have the hockey knowledge most people on this board have, especially in terms of discerning specific skill, so I thought maybe someone might have some insights on Gorowsky and Anderson's play. Have they just not developed? Is Gorowsky in the wrong program?
Centennial had some fat stats that one year when they played a lot of weak teams during the regular season. So I think that put college expectations too high for those two guys.

I think Gorowsky's issue is (and has been) that his skating isn't very good and he doesn't have the size/strength advantage to play like he did in high school when he was very physical around the net. Then you add to that fact that he doesn't play in a program that encourages a lot of offense/playmaking and I can see why he has not make much of an impact.

I think RJ is a solid player but he doesn't excel in any one area. Average size and average skill compared to his peers. He certainly hasn't made much of an impact offensively for the Gophers but part of that has been because the team had guys ahead of him in the depth chart that were simply better at running a power play.
Hilltopper99

Post by Hilltopper99 »

Thanks, GB - helpful assessment. I noticed recently that Gorowsky has not been drafted. I guess the scouts saw some of the same things GB has seen. For what it's worth - I only ask because I've met Tom a few times, think he's a great kid and hope he's successful. As for RJ, I agree he's pretty solid and the gophs have had some dynamite defensive talent the last few years. Hopefully he can come into his own the next year and a half.
Reggie

Re: Tom Gorowsky and RJ Anderson

Post by Reggie »

Gopher Blog wrote:
Hilltopper99 wrote:I spent a lot of time watching Tom Gorowsky and RJ Anderson light it up for Centennial HS a few years ago, and I'm a surprised and disappointed neither has made much of an impact at the college level. Gorowsky seems like solid player to me (passes well, takes the body, plays the boards well) but he's out of the Badger lineup about half the time. I admittedly do not have the hockey knowledge most people on this board have, especially in terms of discerning specific skill, so I thought maybe someone might have some insights on Gorowsky and Anderson's play. Have they just not developed? Is Gorowsky in the wrong program?
Centennial had some fat stats that one year when they played a lot of weak teams during the regular season. So I think that put college expectations too high for those two guys.

I think Gorowsky's issue is (and has been) that his skating isn't very good and he doesn't have the size/strength advantage to play like he did in high school when he was very physical around the net. Then you add to that fact that he doesn't play in a program that encourages a lot of offense/playmaking and I can see why he has not make much of an impact.

I think RJ is a solid player but he doesn't excel in any one area. Average size and average skill compared to his peers. He certainly hasn't made much of an impact offensively for the Gophers but part of that has been because the team had guys ahead of him in the depth chart that were simply better at running a power play.
Very nice assessment.
MNHockey75

Post by MNHockey75 »

I saw both these kids play many times as well. I really thought they would both be very successful in college, especially RJ Anderson. Gorowsky's problem is his skating but I do think he should be in the lineup every game for the Badgers. As for Anderson, I think he should try getting involved in the offense more, like in high school. It looks like he is lacking confidence a little, even though he does have around 5 goals this year.
Hilltopper99

Post by Hilltopper99 »

MNHockey75 wrote:I saw both these kids play many times as well. I really thought they would both be very successful in college, especially RJ Anderson. Gorowsky's problem is his skating but I do think he should be in the lineup every game for the Badgers. As for Anderson, I think he should try getting involved in the offense more, like in high school. It looks like he is lacking confidence a little, even though he does have around 5 goals this year.
I have to agree that Gorowsky should be in the lineup. After spending the season watching 3rd and 4th line Badgers throw the puck away in their own zone (Bendickson, Dolan), and a few others (Grotting) who have little play-making ability and a completely irrelevant shot, I can't believe Gorowsky would be that much of a detriment. Eaves knows what he's doing, and I know so little in comparison, but from what I see, the Badgers need scoring, and when Tom has played, he's given them a little punch in that category.
As for RJ, I've been pretty impressed the second half of this season. He's just coming into his own.
Blue Breeze

Post by Blue Breeze »

RJ's made strides this year and he has become a pretty dependable player. He has not reached the level he was expected to out of Centennial and likely is not going to, but he is not going to be a bust either.

Next year I'd expect he takes on a similar role and it will be a luxury to have a 4th-6th defenseman who is as experienced and solid as RJ.