Greenway Raiders

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

gr19

Gino

Post by gr19 »

Thought some of you would like to know Gino Guyer signed with the Alaska Aces of the ECHL. They are affiliated with the St. Louis Blues. Gino scored in his first game. He has yet to play in Anchorage with the Aces as they're on a long road trip right now. He sure was a nightmare for GR fans a few years back.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Once again I would like to say that the greenway players should trade in the green for blue. Greenway doesn't stand a chance against Hibbing, Virginia or Hermantown. It is hard for me to see this this program falling apart after so many years with great memories, but it is the fact that greenway will be gone sooner then we like to think.
frosty walrus

Post by frosty walrus »

For the next 5 to 10 years, it will be hard enough for Greenway to survive as an independent school district.
ThunderStorm22

To lose Greenway Hockey...

Post by ThunderStorm22 »

Steve, I hope you are wrong regarding Greenway hockey. It would be very sad to see Greenway hockey with such a glorious program history just disappear. I do realize that the range towns themselves are slowly disappearing. Hopefully, after a few down years, Greenway can rebuild, and a respectable showing and again thrive...
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

If Greenway hockey is to survive, the coaches are going to have to become MAJOR players in the youth program. Starting with Grant Standbrook in 60's Gernander in the late 60's and 70's, and Guyer in the 90's, past Greenway coaches have known the importance of letting the youth hockey players how interested they (the coaches) were in each player. Guyer would get past Greenway stars (and there are plenty of them) to meet the kids. The new coaches are also going to have to make a real effort to get Greenway kids involved in youth hockey. They also need to seriously involve Nashwauk kids the youth hockey program. There are a lot of good athletes in that town. However, this all seems secondary compared to the challenge of surviving as a school.
Raiders'92

Politics

Post by Raiders'92 »

as a greenway fan i think that greenway is all about politics, you need the right name to play or start. back when i played you had to earn your spot no matter who you are or what your name was.now a days you have to live in coleraine or be best friends with the coaches, more or less you have to kiss a**. its kinda wierd that you play the less experienced younger kids than the older kids just because of your last name!

Greenway beat duluth central 9 to 3 now they are 2 and 1
dangelingranger-17

Post by dangelingranger-17 »

greenways upcoming season should be much improved from last year.. they have some very good talanted seniors, and the juniors sophmores and freshmen on the team will improve much to keep up .. the coaching staff is very good. they have a solid sophmore goalie that starts the varsity and a freshmen goalie that can keep up his upcoming years. they also have a junior goalie but i havent heard much about him
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Finally found the Greenway-Central summary. Although Central is no hockey power, it's good to see that Greenway took it to them. Maybe Greenway can improve enough this year to really worry Hibbing, Virginia, and Hermantown.
boblee

Post by boblee »

greenway1969 wrote:Finally found the Greenway-Central summary. Although Central is no hockey power, it's good to see that Greenway took it to them. Maybe Greenway can improve enough this year to really worry Hibbing, Virginia, and Hermantown.
Let's hope
dangelingranger-17

boblee are you from greenway?? if you are who are you?
boblee

Post by boblee »

dangelingranger-17 wrote:boblee are you from greenway?? if you are who are you?
I am not. And Greenway isn't a specific place. But I am not from the Greenway district, no.
greenway1969

Hibbing Game

Post by greenway1969 »

Looks like Greenway played a solid game in their 5-2 loss to Hibbing at Hibbing. Shots were 28 to 20 for Hibbing. Hibbing's last goal was an empty netter. The score was 3-2 until late in the third period. This is a great sign that Greenway is not going to be a pushover this year.
greenway1969

Greenway/Hibbing Summary

Post by greenway1969 »

Interesting to note that there was only one even strength goal.

First period – No scoring.

Second period – 1. H, John Stampohar (Greg Sutherland, Jascha Marchuk), 4:41 (pp) 2. H, Aaron Jamnick (Sutherland), 16:42 (pp).

Third period – 3. H, Travis Marsh (Casey Trenberth), 6:08 (pp) 4. G, Alex Guyer (Jeff Johnson, Dan Kessler), 7:50 (pp) 5. G, Guyer (Joe Westlake), 8:50 (pp) 6. H, Ryan Lucarelli (Marsh, Logan Klobuchar), 11:43 7. H, Jamnick, 16:53 (en).

A.J. Underwood, G, 23 H, Jashca Marchuk, H, 17.
boblee

Post by boblee »

I talked to a Raider today who said he felt Greenway was better at even strength, they simply took too many penalties.
upnorthhockey

Post by upnorthhockey »

what happened with hibbing? thier 2 best players (Brendon Kapella, Anthony Desenzo) didnt recieve any points. Did greenway do that good of job of covering these two and the slack was picked up by the rookies?
frosty walrus

Post by frosty walrus »

Greenway played a good game against Grand Rapids. Although the final score was 6 to 3 (in favor of Rapids), the game was very intense and close throughout the night. Greenway's goalie, Underwood, played an amazing game. There was very little defensive help for the young goalie but he did well. Grand Rapids took full advantage of Greenway's defensive miscues which ultimately led to vicotory for the Thunderhawks. If the Raider's improve their defense and stay out of the penalty box they could beat the Thunderhawks next time around in Coleraine.

Greenway will play Roseau next.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Good to see Greenway continue to improve. From what I've heard, Greenway has to stop taking so many penalties. Are these penalties because they are a step slow? Or are these dumb penalties? I won't get to see Greenway until the Hibbing Tournament so anyone have any thoughts on the kind of penalties they are taking? Their game against Roseau could be the one game that ends up in running time. They'll upset Warroad for their first big win of the year.
dangelingranger-17

# 27 took 2 penilities that were behind the play and 1 penilitie that could have been prevented. and i just remember that kid because he stuck out. their were several bad penilities and hardly any good ones that were taken.. they all should have been prevented and if they didnt take them they would have been in good shape through out the game but lost it because they were skating 5 on 4 most of the game, the only time their going to get by with some of those penilities is when thier playing at home and it would be very noticible.. if it werent for the penilities greenway is in good shape!! it was a fun game to watch though.. very intense.
casualfan

Death of a Supporter

Post by casualfan »

Greenway lost a big supporter in Peter Matanich who passed away. Peter was not only a top educator, but an avid sports enthusiast for northern Minnesota. He taught me in 6th grade and he would go on and on about Greenway and Grand Rapids rivalries. He will be missed greatly and I hope others can say a prayer for the Matanich family!
dangelingranger-17

tonite could be a long night for the raiders. rumor has it that the starting goalie has a broken foot. and are forced to start their junior. any one know his name? and they have a freshmen backing him up. anyone know his name? but good luck to the raiders
hawkfan70

Post by hawkfan70 »

it is probably going to be a long week for the raiders with roseau, warroad and hermantown in the next 7 days
dangelingranger-17

the game accucly was a thriller to watch. i sat by a roseau guy that was very loud and annoying though. but the goalie mike harbin did very well. the final was 10 to 0 though the puck was in greenways end most of the game. mike lee made the saves when he had to and shut greenway out. tomorow greenway plays warroad at 1.
boblee

Post by boblee »

dangelingranger-17 wrote:the game accucly was a thriller to watch. i sat by a roseau guy that was very loud and annoying though. but the goalie mike harbin did very well. the final was 10 to 0 though the puck was in greenways end most of the game. mike lee made the saves when he had to and shut greenway out. tomorow greenway plays warroad at 1.
With Underwood out, Greenway just isn't good.
niper-hawkfan

Post by niper-hawkfan »

true but they still would have been close games with underwood. both games they kept within two goals in the first period with harbin in net. i think they just ran out of steam in the second and third periods. it sucks that underwood is injured. he will be out for at least three weeks. it will be a long three weeks
boblee

Post by boblee »

niper-hawkfan wrote:true but they still would have been close games with underwood. both games they kept within two goals in the first period with harbin in net. i think they just ran out of steam in the second and third periods. it sucks that underwood is injured. he will be out for at least three weeks. it will be a long three weeks
What was todays score?