Twins 34-34 on 6/18

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ChrisK

Tyner

Post by ChrisK »

packerboy I agree with you on Tyner, in addition he's a good contact hitter so you could do a lot of hit and runs with him. When Punto was out Gardy had Tyner in the no.2 spot, but when Punto came back he was back in the no.2 spot. They're very similar, from the numbers it looks like Punto is a better OBP guy while Tyner is a better contact hitter.
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

Couple findings this weekend. First, the Red Sox are in real trouble. Their starting pitching is real bad and their bullpen was awful against the Stripes. Varitek's injury was devastating to their staff, the best news for us is that Varitek isn't coming back anytime soon and the deadline has passed. Secondly, the White Sox just can't drop the hammer this year. Last year they could win at will, not this year. I've been kind of waiting for them to go on a binge and I don't think it is happening. They could win 5 of 6 this week, but I don't see them ripping off a crippling 11 of 13 streak considering the affairs of a Vazguez or Buehrle.

More good news tonight with the Tigers pounding the Sox. For those of you still hoping for the division, let it go. Cheer for three more Tiger wins against the Sox.

As was stated, the season is getting real short. It is going to become a sprint. The better team wins the marathon but the underdog can win the sprint. Right now, it looks like the Twins or the Sox for the wild card and I really like the underdog's chance. Go Twins.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Nobody is hot right now. Det has leveled off. CWS have struggled lately and the Twins have been treading water.

The Red Sox took a fatal blow to their division hopes and are 4 back in the WC.

It might not change much. With out Lirianoand an inconsisitent offense, it will be difficult for the Twins to go off on a streak. The Whiteys pitching isnt what it was in '05 and so it will be tough for them to go hide. But its also doubtful that either team will hit a long losing streak.

The Bosox look bad right now but the Yankees will do that to you.

It continues to look like the WC will go down to the last weekend and maybe the last day.

This is great.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

What a difference a week makes, the AL West and East are turning into run aways. Oakland has become the hottest team in baseball with a 15-4 record in August, and with just over a month to play it's not outside the realm of possibilty for the Yankees to overtake the Tigers for the best record in baseball as the Yankees are only 3 behind in the loss column. The biggest reason for the Twins to not lose sight of the Tigers is that the Wildcard has to go on the road and as August turns into September it may get more and more likely that that would mean an October trip into the Bronx.
packerboy

Baltimore flop

Post by packerboy »

Well, last night was one of those that you are going to lose. They wil lose at least 65 games and that was one of them.

They will not win the WC with the '05 offense. Way to much of that lately. Silva was terrible but the offense was just as bad. Weak.

Lets go.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

There will be guys pitching in the State Amateur tournament this weekend that will show more than Silva did last night, he was flat out bad. The hitters looked disinterested for 7 innings, Hawkins made the score respectable more than the Twins did.

The Twins aren't in a position to take games let alone series off. If they just continue to keep pace with the White Sox and Red Sox whom are both struggling mightily right now the Angels will catch them. Much as we have watched the Twins strom back into playoff contention, the Angels are starting to pick up some ground now as well, gaining 3 on the White Sox in the past week. Playing .500 ball the rest of the way won't get the Twins into the playoffs and they're a very unremarkable 11-9 so far in August. For every nice win they put up with Chicago or Detroit they seem to throw it away with a bad loss against Toronto or Baltimore.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Well goldy, without Liriano where would they be?

The mediocre August corresponds with his injury. Can they play much above .500 without him?

The Cisco Kid put the team 10 games over .500 all by himself, almost literally.

They need another guy besides Santana who can win for them when they only score 3.

We will see how Garza does tonight but dont expect too much. The bats have got to start swinging.
Irishmans Shanty

If Barry Wohler is still slinging for Belle Plaine, I know of at least one guy who can bring better stuff to the bump than Silva.

Goldy, you raise an interesting, but disturbing notion that the Angels seem to be lurking. Nevertheless, I will dismiss the Angels as a threat, not to play devil's advocate to your notion, but rather to put my own mind at ease as I don't want to accept anymore applications for this wild card taffy pull. For the Angels to catch a Twins team going 19-18 from here on out, they could only loose 10 more games this season. Tonight looks like a loss as they trail 5-1, in addition they still have 16 games left with the Tigers (3), WSox (3), Stripes (3), and A's (7). I believe I can find at least 11 losses left on their schedule.

The experts say that good pitching will beat good hitting this time of year, Who has the edge? l

Starters
Sox: Buerhle, Contreras, Garland, Vazquez, Garcia. Twins: Bonser, Santana, Radke, Garza, Silva Bosox: Schilling, Lester, Beckett, Snyder, Wells

I see Bonser, Silva, and Garza for us but I believe the Bosox bring even less to the table. Though it doesn't look like it on paper, the WSox are a mirror image of the Twins right now, Garland and Santana are the goods and after that, who knows?

Bullpen: Twins, hands down have the edge, I wouldn't swap Neshek, Rincon, Crain, or Reyes for anyone the Soxes have.

Closer: I like our guy over anyone in the league. Jenks has sealed the deal in the big one, but I have no doubts that Nathan would too given the chance, Papelbon is good, but starting to fade.
packerboy

Pitching edge

Post by packerboy »

Good pitching is very important but it aint enuf. If there is any doubt about that reference the 2005 Twins.

Anyway, they won a Garza start, which is big. Now they have to win a Boof start today.

You cant lose 2 of 3 vs the Os while CWS is playing the Tigers.

Lets go Boof.

Will Morneau ever hit another HR? How about a big one today.
Irishmans Shanty

Booooooooooooooooooooof does the job!
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

No help from Ronde, help help from Ronde...
packerboy

Boof em

Post by packerboy »

Wins form Garza and Boof. Very nice.

Rondel got a hit. Of course, if you cant hit that guy, give it up.

Lets see some guile from ChrisK's hero tonight. I hate it when he gives up 2 home runs amd 3 runs in the first 2 innnigs.

Keep hittin the ball.

Another big series with the Whiteys. Both teams are on an upswing. CHI has to be happy with a split at Comerica, even if the Tigers have leveled off lately. The Twins did what they had to do at Camden.

Lets go Twins. Get 2 of 3.
Neutron 14

Re: just curious

Post by Neutron 14 »

CNN wrote:One man was killed when a tornado hit his home in Minnesota on Thursday, and in Wisconsin, lightning apparently killed a dozen cows and struck a woman as she left a supermarket.
What were the cows doing in the supermarket parking lot?
larsey

Post by larsey »

Actually, what they meant was 13 women. They're not as discrete in Wics. as they are here in MN....
Irishmans Shanty

I woke this morning in anticipation of witnessing first hand another Twins' sweep of the Sox. As I exited the Dan Ryan at 31st. St. I felt like an enemy spy infiltrating the forbidden zone. How could this Twins fan be able to walk in broad daylight into US Cellular Field and be greeted with smiles by those on the Sox payroll? If they only knew who I were. Then it dawned on me, the Southside has turned soft, just like their club. I guess that's what winning a world title does, it makes you complacent. For 130 games that's just what the Sox have been. Even Ozzie loves the Pirhanas now, heck he admires them so much he gave them a name that will only explode if they continue to swim.

Two good things came from this weekend. First, the Twins obviously won two, the second is that the Sox are clearly one dimensional. The Sox need the dinger to win, period. Silva and his inability to keep the ball in the yard was not going to get the Twins a win today, and he didn't. For 2.5 months I've been trying to figure out how the Twins keep winning. Then when I think I figure it out, he goes on the DL and they recapture the Wild Card lead. Who knows, all I do know is that they're still in it, and the Pirhanas aren't done eating yet.
packerboy

Not just Silva

Post by packerboy »

As the song goes 'dont be sad, cuz 2 outa 3 aint bad'

But they had a chance to sweep and didnt. Silva wasnt very good but his mistakes end up in the seats and Buerhle's end up fouled off or a single.

The Twins made another struggling pitcher look like Cy Young.

Its amazing. The Twins have Justin Morneau and the Sox have Thome, Konerko, Dye and Crede. The Sox have 2 who will hit 30 plus HRs and 2 who will hit 40 plus HRs. The Twins are all giddy because thet have their first 30 HR guy in 20 years. But the Twins are ahead. Amazing.

But how about that game Sat night? Was that fun or what?

They continue to hang in there and now even have the lead in the WC.

The next 6 games could be large. Twins play 3 vs KC and 3 vs NYY. Sox have got 3 vs TB and 3 vs KC.

Go Twins.
Last edited by packerboy on Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisK

Weekend fun

Post by ChrisK »

Silva looked sharp for about four innings, keeping the ball down and then all of a sudden instead of ground balls everything was to the outfield and finally out of the outfield. Punto made some great plays at third but Bartlett let a ball skip between his legs and it cost the Twins a couple of runs. Buehrle may be struggling but he's still a good pitcher when he's on so I don't have as big a problem with the Twins bats yesterday as when they make an unheralded rookie like Adam Loewen look like Mike Cuellar.

Both Friday and Saturday's games were epic, I was on the edge of my seat thinking my god it's not even September yet and it's like playoff baseball! That home run against Nathan on Saturday was a knockout blow and the Twins got up and won the game. It doesn't get any better than that!
jimjackjohnmmmm

Post by jimjackjohnmmmm »

Very interesting week ahead. Lets see the yanks take the series against detroit and we sweep the royals, we'd be 2 or 3 outa first! Im just waiting for the day I load the twins website and Frankys back in the lineup, God that would be sweet. Lets go twinkies, dont take this series off!
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Shut out at home by Mark Redman??? Garza pitched well enough to deserve better, if Morneau is a legit MVP candidate he needs to come through in situations like tonight.

I realize they can't and on't win them all, but their level off disinterest in games like tonights or against the Blue Jays is really troublesome.
packerboy

Inconsistent offense

Post by packerboy »

Even with the injuries and disruption with the starting rotation, the thing that will keep the Twins out of the playoffs is their inconsistent offense.

Last night was a perfect example. Redman threw them slop out of the strike zone and they couldnt wait to wave at it. Some really weak swings.

Id like to see more out of Morneau too but the offense will remain inconsistent when it has no depth for power.

Gotta hit. Lets go.
ChrisK

Which team will show up tonight?

Post by ChrisK »

Went to the game again last night, my sister was able to score some free tickets. Garza looked good, he was able to get some of his breaking pitches across which made that 95 mph fastball tough to hit. Redman threw complete slop, I think his fastest pitch was clocked at 84 mph but the Twins were waving at them like a dairy princess on parade.

Packerboy's been harping on this for weeks and I have to concede his point, the offense has to get more consistent. The only guy last night who seemed to have Redman figured out was Bartlett who got a couple of hits, the rest of the guys looked utterly befuddled. Mauer has admitted that he's getting tired and it's starting to show, he's not consistently getting good swings and at bats as he was earlier. Morneau and Cuddyer might as well have sat on the bench during their at bats, it would've led to the same results.

It's been either feast or famine for this offense, either they bang the ball around like a pinball machine or they dribble weak grounders to second the whole game. So which team shows up tonight, the one that hits like the 1987 Twins or the 2005 Twins?
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

This team actually reminds me an awful lot of the playoff team of just a few years ago with their solid pitching and less than playoff caliber hitting. When, perhaps, the best hitter on the team lately is hitting ninth the Twins are in trouble, by the way does any other team in the majors have a guy hitting in the ninth spot hitting over .300 let alone .350?

The Twins are in desperate need of a DH, White just doesn't have it, it's getting to the point where I'd almost rather see Rodriguez in there. The September call ups are just around the corner and Terry Ryan has said that since the Red Wings are in the playoffs there won't be much help coming from there until their season is over, so is there a catcher in AA that can come up and let Redman DH?

The wildcard has become just a two team race, Chicago can't pitch so it should be the Twins spot to lose if the old adage that pitching and defense wins.

IS, Juan Castro is hitting exactly .250, you might want to call up the Target Center and check on the availability of Lynx season tickets :lol:
packerboy

Redman as DH

Post by packerboy »

Well goldy, why not put Redman in as DH even without another catcher?

What are the odds that Mauer will get hurt and have to leave the game? Even if it happened , the worst thing that happens is we lose the DH.

Guess what....we haven' t had a DH all flippin year anyways.

I suppose they have to give White a chance. Before his injury, he showed flashes of his old self. If that kicks in, it would be huge. But that also may be more dream than reality.

These guys better get a second wind if they are tired. They are a young team. It may be more an emotional thing than physical.

If their good play is based on emotion, thats hard to sustain.

The Sox have been through this last year. The Twins have playoff veterans but how many of these guys have been through a real, good old fashioned , nail biting, down to the wire playoff race?

How big a factor will that be? Stay tuned to this fine forum to find out.
Irishmans Shanty

Goldy..thanks for the update on Castro. I am a few AB's and a handful of Juan Castro hits away from being the proud owner of a lot of tickets I don't want, furthermore, I can't use them anyway. For anyone else in the market for Lynx tix, it appears as though they have a wide medley of great packages still available.

Thanks to Goldy, I went back and read some of the early season threads we had going. Let's just say this season has taken some interesting turns since that opening series in Toronto.

We have all made some great predictions and observations since April, however, we (especially myself) have also been dead wrong about many things as well. Here is only a fraction of the dumbest things I have submited this season.

1. "Move Cuddyer to 3B and diminish Punto's role"
2. "The Sox will make a blockbuster trade by the deadline"
3. "Joe Nathan will be the Twins only All-star"
4. "Castillo, Hunter, Lohse, and Stewart will be traded by the end of June"
5. "The Twins can't beat the Indians"
6. "The Twins will not win a game at Comiskey this year"
7. "This season will be a disaster"
8. "The Twins have no chance at the post season"
9. "Trade Joe Nathan for Matt Murton and Ronny Cedeno"
10. "The Twins do not have the guts to move Lohse and Silva to the pen"
11. "The Twins are a 74-84 win team"
12. "The Twins have to make a trade to stay in contention"
13. "Herald Reynolds is a heavy hitter in the national media" ya he was so important they fired him half way through the season.

Anyone who is on the ledge tonight, please come in. There are many turns left in this season, some will be bad and others will be good. Salvage one tomorrow afternoon and move on.

Go Twins
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Shanty, don't beat yourself up too much, the one thing you can say about this season is that it's been impossible to figure out which way it's going. Just when you think you've got it figured out, the Twins get two good starts from their young pitchers and manage to lose both games.

One thing I forgot to mention about Tuesday's game is during the bottom of the 9th, with Mauer coming up, another idiot ran onto the field. He came from the left field bleachers and it took awhile but the security guards got him surrounded and one of them made a good tackle to take him down. They've got these 50 year old guys trying to catch a drunk college kid, I think they need to hire some ex-football players who can lay a good hit on the next moron to come out there.

For the most part the players stood around and let the security guys take care of things, but the centerfielder did make a move towards the guy, wasn't it a Royal first base coach that got sucker punched by a fan in Chicago a few years ago?

And the timing, the Twins were only down two runs and their best hitter was coming up in the bottom of the 9th. If you're going to make an idiot out of yourself at least help the home team!