Why did South St. Paul move to class A after...

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ottomatic live the dream

Why did South St. Paul move to class A after...

Post by ottomatic live the dream »

Winning 3 of the past 4 AA State Championships? I realize it is their right based on enrollment (that's another issue the MSHSL has to re-examine), but after having so much success at the highest level, why move down? I was actually looking forward to the Section Playoffs and maybe seeing Roseville get some revenge, but now that won't happen for at least 2 years. <p></p><i></i>
hockeydad

Re: Why did South St. Paul move to class A after...

Post by hockeydad »

You'd have to ask the school's administration about that one. I know it was controversial when the boys moved down a couple years ago, but that one made sense. The team was not competitive at the higher level. I think the fear was that after last year's girls graduated, there was going to be a big drop off in talent. I think I heard something about the youth association having low numbers, but a successful high school team tends to attract open enrollment students. I think it was the wrong move myself, but what do I know. <p></p><i></i>
eaglehockey15

Post by eaglehockey15 »

That is one of the oddest things I have ever heard. They are the best team in AA 3 of the past 4 years so they want less competition, doesn't make sense to me. <p></p><i></i>
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

It's a 4 year decision I believe - meaning that if they opt to stay up, it's for the next 4 years, and my guess is that that was the rationale - that they couldn't guarantee that they could stay at the AA level for the next 4 years.<br><br>SSP has a good team this season, and I don't believe that everyone agreed with the decision by admin. <p></p><i></i>