2024 Girls State High School Hockey Tournament

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Nostalgic Nerd

Re: 2024 Girls State High School Hockey Tournament

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Sparlimb wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:14 pm
Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:29 pm
Sparlimb wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:44 pm

I think you meant celebratory night!

My team is looking pretty good. Andover is better at forechecking, but man does HM create opportunities. 3 goals from no more then 4 feet out.
Ah makes sense now. Hill and the Maple Grove are up for goalie of the year. 27-11 SOG. Andover head coach must have changed up some lines. For a while early Hill was dominating. Now Andover is killing them badly but the Hill goalie.

Last five minutes was like a 5 on 5 PP lol.
Certainly was. Hill played better in the 3rd, which was good. I said to the wife, if they play like they did in the 2nd they will lose. Hard to know how different the game would have been if it had been tied or Andover up. Hill wouldn't have sat back so much. That said, it isn't a consistent winning strategy to sit on a 2 goal lead for 2+ periods. They will need a better effort tomorrow night. That said, they beat Andover 2 of 3 this year, so their formula worked there.
Can't fault Andover there. They were utterly dominant, but the Hill goalie doesnt give up much. You were right too. Hill did play a little better in.the 3rd.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Well Edina won, but calling it shaky goaltending is an understatement. I'd say Hill wins for sure, but Edina is very strong in their own zone and have the better D.
hwkfan

Post by hwkfan »

[/quote]

Also Edina 14-0 all time in state quarters, Minnetonka 10-0. Pure domination
[/quote]

I was surprised to see Tonka hasn't won a title in over 10 years. Since they won three in a row. The powers of Girl's hockey has changed over the year. So many years of SSP and Roseville. Hopkins had a turn. New teams will come to dominate.
[/quote]

Coaching. Tonka consistently has the most talent in the state/country but the teams under Cassano are uninspired.
Two years ago squeeked by Edina in semis when it should have been a 5-1 game, blow lead in 3rd to Andover.
Last year. Barely beat cent/slp and lose to gentry and then Edina with arguably the most talented girls team in mn hs history.
This year. Squeak by mg and tonight’s game was controlled by Edina. Easily could have went 6-1; 7-2 without the best goalie in the country in net.
Uninspiring and can’t be explode on offense when generally all her fwds on ice are committed to d1 programs or have offers.
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:45 pm Well Edina won, but calling it shaky goaltending is an understatement. I'd say Hill wins for sure, but Edina is very strong in their own zone and have the better D.
Unsure what game you watched but I thought the goalies both played very well. After the first period Edina generated more opportunities and carried the game. The team that played better won regardless of how the final goal was scored.

I was actually less impressed with HM. I think Edina wins tomorrow.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Gov78 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:05 pmhou
Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:45 pmt
Unsure what game you watched but I thought the goalies both played very well. After the first period Edina generated more opportunities and carried the game. The team that played better won regardless of how the final goal was scored.

I was actually less impressed with HM. I think Edina wins tomorrow.
I thought the Tonka's second goal was like a little looper over the goalies head. Then another shot went by her head and hit the crossbar. Didn't look impressive IMO. Goaltending I would definitely give the edge to Hill. Overall team and defense Edina for sure. They should outshoot Hill by a wide margin.
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

Agree about Tonka coaching, they have the best talent every year and blow it every year. The difference between the two head coaches in that game tonight was glaring. How long will Tonka parents put up with this?

Zahn was the best goalie in the country tonight. She played an amazing game, probably the best goaltending performance at state since King shut down Andover for Brainerd a few years ago.

Andover loss tonight was deja vu, very similar to the championship last year. Gentry and Hill got out to 3-1 leads and played a boring defensive battle the rest of the game.

I didn't think I'd say this but my money's on Edina tomorrow night. And not sure about the comment above either, I thought McConnell played well.
hwkfan

Post by hwkfan »

well said eagles. As much as we don't want to admit it, betting on Edina at the X on saturday evening is never a bad one.
Glad someone else see's the 'glaring' difference in coaching. If Tonka didn't can her last year they most likely won't. Last year was a flop unlike any i have seen. A holy cross moment of girls hs hockey.
Their d core was Finnegan (Harvard), Karl (St Thomas), Goldy (MSU), Hemp (Gophers), Klepinger (Gophers) backstopped by 2 goalies committed to the WCHA and they failed to control big games and constantly were in run and gun games with teams with inferior talent.
Take all of those talented offensive D and combine them with a forward group where the top is all committed to big name schools and your 3rd liners are committed as well and then go out and score 3 or less goals in 15 games? I really can't make it up.
Cassano teams play with little emotion or the wrong emotions and when you're at the game they are always on the ref or not collected as a group. When you watch them on TV on they always look tense where other teams are relaxed or appear to be having fun.
As good as their pp was they sure came up with good plan last year to make Ava Lindsay obsolete on the left half wall last year.
If they lose to Andover today that would make them 2-5 in this groups last 7 tourney games with the 2 wins coming against unseeded quarterfinal opponents ending in 1 goal nail bitters along with 5 loses coming to arguably less talented but better coached top teams and would include 3rd period meltdown against andover in 22.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

#5 Hovda for Roseau looked real good. Only a sophomore, and if they can get better goaltending it could be fun.

Also #10 Edina.

Glad I'm watching the early games on NSPN. After seeing AHA's offense vs Warroad I'm glad I won't be there LOL.

I'll be cheering for the mighty Hill goalie. Looks like for Edina its can we get any goals past her vs Hill's can we get past Edina's D. It isn't anything new to see an Edina goalie look a little shaky in the semi only to play better in the final.

Also it looked to me like AHA had the best goalie in A.
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:04 am It isn't anything new to see an Edina goalie look a little shaky in the semi only to play better in the final.
No offense, but... what? Edina has had the most consistent goaltending in girls hockey for the last several years with arguably the best - certainly most decorated - goalie in state history. Tonight they have the inferior goalie, not a knock on McConnell but rather Zahn is clearly the best goalie in the state. Tonight could be a great game if Edina has much left in the tank after that Tonka game.

Also excited for Dodge/Warroad, should be two great games today.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Eagles93 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:46 am
Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:04 am It isn't anything new to see an Edina goalie look a little shaky in the semi only to play better in the final.
No offense, but... what? Edina has had the most consistent goaltending in girls hockey for the last several years with arguably the best - certainly most decorated - goalie in state history. Tonight they have the inferior goalie, not a knock on McConnell but rather Zahn is clearly the best goalie in the state. Tonight could be a great game if Edina has much left in the tank after that Tonka game.

Also excited for Dodge/Warroad, should be two great games today.
Last night. Also a number of years ago it might have been the semi before the year Edina beat Centennial. Wasn't real crisp but go through it. Solid vs Centennial. I suppose I am nitpicking, but it felt like a similar situation where they are up and give up a bad goal and are reeling in their own end the last few minutes but hang on. Last night it felt like the second goal kinda went up in the air and over the goalies glove like the direction of a mountain. I was like WTH was that lol.
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

I'd have to watch the replay but the second goal seemed like a fluke, Distad found a loose puck and whacked at it and it went off the defender's stick and over the goalie's head. The first Tonka goal was a great effort and snipe by Finnegan seconds after Edina had that amazing pass and goal by Halvorson and McCoy to take a 2-0 lead.

I don't remember the particular game you're talking about, not doubting you, but goaltending is not something I worry about with Edina. I'm no Hornets fan but I will give credit where it's due.
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

hwkfan wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:14 am 3rd period meltdown against andover in 22.
Undisciplined is the word I'd use to sum up the last few years of Tonka hockey in the state tournament and that's all on coaching. That 3rd period meltdown (and dumb penalty) and the way the coaches reacted was a perfect snapshot. And the constant barking at refs doesn't help their cause at all.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Eagles93 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:25 pm I'd have to watch the replay but the second goal seemed like a fluke, Distad found a loose puck and whacked at it and it went off the defender's stick and over the goalie's head. The first Tonka goal was a great effort and snipe by Finnegan seconds after Edina had that amazing pass and goal by Halvorson and McCoy to take a 2-0 lead.

I don't remember the particular game you're talking about, not doubting you, but goaltending is not something I worry about with Edina. I'm no Hornets fan but I will give credit where it's due.
Ok that's what it was. I was behind the goalie but couldn't tell.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

8 penalties during the first period of Andover/Tonka lol. :lol: :mrgreen:

Announcer: The hat trick of penalties. :lol:

Andover 2 more. Lead 8-2 penalties. :D

If my count is correct it is 15 penalties after two periods. =; [-X ](*,) #-o :mrgreen:
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Total penalties was 12-7 for Andover. Ah no wonder why they lost. Guess they hate each other. :mrgreen: Also two majors.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

With a three peat likely congrats to Warroad. Certainly better means than Blake or Breck, but please please please move up. [-o<
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Rolli for Warroad did play real good down the stretch in goal.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Congrats to Edina. I'm not sure if Hill would get a goal had they played 6 periods. In the end, Edina was deeper, better defensively and had a better first line. That said, I'm satisfied with a second place finish. Not many thought HM would finish the tournament higher than Andover and Minnetonka. So that's at least something. Hill will be back with their youth next year. Need to replace an outstanding netminder, but the future is bright.

Edina was a machine tonight.
headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown »

Hmmm…. Hate the Hornets but gotta respect the hustle, coaching and how they just handle business. 5 state title’s for their young coach which is pretty amazing.

Anyone else notice Hill’s captain #21 take her 2nd place medal off and throw it on the ice? I’m guessing a coach quickly told her to class up as she then quickly put it back on. I get the frustration and ain’t trying to call the kid out for emotions, but don’t disrespect the rest of your teammates or the buses of other girls who’d literally die for a shot at the title or runner up.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Sparlimb wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:19 pm Congrats to Edina. I'm not sure if Hill would get a goal had they played 6 periods. In the end, Edina was deeper, better defensively and had a better first line. That said, I'm satisfied with a second place finish. Not many thought HM would finish the tournament higher than Andover and Minnetonka. So that's at least something. Hill will be back with their youth next year. Need to replace an outstanding netminder, but the future is bright.

Edina was a machine tonight.
Agreed. I think Hill's offense was pretty much #18, and that was like 1-on-3 at times lol.
CrimsonCakeEater

Post by CrimsonCakeEater »

I think Sami Cowger may end up with a statue alongside (presumably) Giles and Ikola, Edina was certainly not the most talented team this year but they found a way to beat—and outplay—the two best teams in the state on back-to-back nights. 5 state titles since she took over despite none before here tenure, and that was not because of a lack of talent. Good night to be a Hornet after the matinee action at BIG, too!
Small town on the west side with a dream
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Looks like Sami will probably surpass Ikola for most titles, and if she stays till she's like 55 well good golly jeez, Beaver Cleaver. :shock:
Well Driller

Post by Well Driller »

Minnetonka should be embarrassed. Last year was an epic failure. This year makes 2 in a row.

The coaching staff capabilities are subpar at best. And the constant complaining and screaming at officials is ridiculous and over time reflects in player behaviors, attitude and performance.

However.....since many of the kids on this roster didn't play youth hockey in Minnetonka, player recruiting will certainly be as intense as ever. Just look closely at the roster....
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

Just think, 2 of the 5 girls on the all tournament that played for Warroad were actually from Warroad. That in itself is impressive!
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

I'm not sure if you're using Roseau math but my count shows 3 of 6 All Tourney girls from Warroad. lol
Nonetheless, it looks like the team could be a co-op called Warroad/ND East