2024 Girls State High School Hockey Tournament

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Eagles93

Re: 2024 Girls State High School Hockey Tournament

Post by Eagles93 »

Sparlimb wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:51 pm So question for those of you paying more attention than me. Should we be worried with the plethora of 8th and 9th graders on the varsity teams of the state participants? Andover is the only team I've seen made up of mostly juniors (a ton) and seniors. Which is what you normally see on the guys side. I know there are talented younger players that make varsity here and there, but not usually 6-7 per team. Makes me wonder if the youth numbers are falling too much that teams have to go to all grades just to make a varsity team. I would think this gives Andover a huge advantage as their players are just older, stronger and bigger. Thoughts?
This is the way it's always been for the most part on the girls side. Strictly a numbers (and recruiting) game. Larger associations like Edina/Andover/Tonka/Wayzata usually have more juniors/seniors as the younger ones can play 15A if they don't deserve a spot on varsity. I don't see it as a worry, just reality. I've posted before that I think more high schools should co-op for the betterment of the players and the game given that reality.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Sparlimb wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:13 pm
Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:10 pm
Sparlimb wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:51 pm So question for those of you paying more attention than me. Should we be worried with the plethora of 8th and 9th graders on the varsity teams of the state participants? Andover is the only team I've seen made up of mostly juniors (a ton) and seniors. Which is what you normally see on the guys side. I know there are talented younger players that make varsity here and there, but not usually 6-7 per team. Makes me wonder if the youth numbers are falling too much that teams have to go to all grades just to make a varsity team. I would think this gives Andover a huge advantage as their players are just older, stronger and bigger. Thoughts?
Did the depth reduce the amount of underclass over the years? I remember 7th and 8th graders years back but cannot speak to now. Plus I wish they still sold programs to have a closer look.
2024 Tourney Program:

https://www.flipsnack.com/ECA65FCC5A8/2 ... -view.html

https://www.mshsl.org/tournaments/state ... ockey-2023
See Wenke and Whalen made it into the HOF.

Looked like Rosemount had 9 freshman LOL. A few 8th graders on some teams. That was always funny to me cause as a player you could have up to a 5 year HS career. I mean 6 lol.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

MG 1-0. I'd be careful Tonka. MG isn't giving them much, and they're ferocious. (To be honest it looked like two checking penalties on MG that were not called.)
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

2-1 Tonka. Ah well fun while it lasted.
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:03 pm 2-1 Tonka. Ah well fun while it lasted.
MG has a very good goalie, she kept the game close.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

The way Edina's going they will have a 50 shots. I'm not really sure if the Northfield goalie is that good, or the puck is just hitting her by chance? Anyway, sometimes it feels like Edna is being too cute: passing low when you had the quality chance. Passing across twice when once gave you the shot.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

In retrospect (or as some predicted), Northfield probably had no business being seeded.
cjmhockey19

Post by cjmhockey19 »

For the 6th straight season Minnetonka, Andover and Edina all make the semifinals.....time is a flat circle indeed
cjmhockey19

Post by cjmhockey19 »

cjmhockey19 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:39 pm For the 6th straight season Minnetonka, Andover and Edina all make the semifinals.....time is a flat circle indeed
Also Edina 14-0 all time in state quarters, Minnetonka 10-0. Pure domination
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

InThePipes wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:09 pm In retrospect (or as some predicted), Northfield probably had no business being seeded.
Perhaps their pair of 18-0 wins (or whatever the scores were) over Austin were too heavily weighted. :wink:
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

cjmhockey19 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:40 pm
cjmhockey19 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:39 pm For the 6th straight season Minnetonka, Andover and Edina all make the semifinals.....time is a flat circle indeed
Also Edina 14-0 all time in state quarters, Minnetonka 10-0. Pure domination
I was surprised to see Tonka hasn't won a title in over 10 years. Since they won three in a row. The powers of Girl's hockey has changed over the year. So many years of SSP and Roseville. Hopkins had a turn. New teams will come to dominate.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Dodge County is out-working Orono. Tied 1-1 halfway through, but could go any which way. Impressed with Dodge County.

I post that and Dodge County gets two quick goals. 3-1 Dodge County.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Maple Grove taking it to Northfield 4-0 in the 1st.
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

What a fantastic game between Dodge County and Orono. Impressed by both teams, sad to see a loser. Dodge County goalie was phenomenal.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Eagles93 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:17 pm What a fantastic game between Dodge County and Orono. Impressed by both teams, sad to see a loser. Dodge County goalie was phenomenal.
Was a great game. Orono was deeper, but Dodge County skated hard and deserved everything they got.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Warroad dominates the second half of the first period and takes a 1-0 lead over Holy Angels to the break. I saw AHA play HM earlier this year and it was a very even game. Surprised Warroad is finding such success. Could be AHA is nervous.
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

girlshockey4ever wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:12 pm There is a reason we have progressed as a society. Going to this archaic way of tournament play is a disaster if you actually care about finding who the best teams are. If you are one of these "we need graphical representation" people then I guess it works. But for those who want the best teams playing each other on the biggest stage in women's high school hockey IN THE WORLD....then ranking 1-8 is the only reasonable solution.
Why, if you are the best team, what different does it make if you play the 2nd best team in the quarter finals or in the final. Let the girls figure it out on the ice and not some potential biased ratings setting the stage.
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Green and White Fan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:21 pm
girlshockey4ever wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:12 pm There is a reason we have progressed as a society. Going to this archaic way of tournament play is a disaster if you actually care about finding who the best teams are. If you are one of these "we need graphical representation" people then I guess it works. But for those who want the best teams playing each other on the biggest stage in women's high school hockey IN THE WORLD....then ranking 1-8 is the only reasonable solution.
Why, if you are the best team, what different does it make if you play the 2nd best team in the quarter finals or in the final. Let the girls figure it out on the ice and not some potential biased ratings setting the stage.
Well, in the end, if you want to win State you have to win 6 in a row. And you are going to face good teams along the way. Every single year, someone wins those 6 games. Doesn't matter who they had to beat. That said, Tonka had the hardest QF game and that is unfortunate.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Sparlimb wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:18 pm Warroad dominates the second half of the first period and takes a 1-0 lead over Holy Angels to the break. I saw AHA play HM earlier this year and it was a very even game. Surprised Warroad is finding such success. Could be AHA is nervous.
Not really even a game. If Warroad wins it hopefully they move up. AHA goalie looks excellent though.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Raise your hand if you had Dodge County on Saturday in their home whites!
cjmhockey19

Post by cjmhockey19 »

Green and White Fan wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:21 pm
Because then whats the point of the regular season. If youve had an outstanding season you should be rewarded with playing the lowest seeded team. Just like many have said we do it in sections, no reason we cant do it at State
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

HM 2-0 already. Could be a long night.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:23 pm HM 2-0 already. Could be a long night.
I think you meant celebratory night!

My team is looking pretty good. Andover is better at forechecking, but man does HM create opportunities. 3 goals from no more then 4 feet out.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Sparlimb wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:44 pm
Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:23 pm HM 2-0 already. Could be a long night.

My team is looking pretty good. Andover is better at forechecking, but man does HM create opportunities. 3 goals from no more then 4 feet out.
Ah makes sense now. Hill and the Maple Grove are up for goalie of the year. 27-11 SOG. Andover head coach must have changed up some lines. For a while early Hill was dominating. Now Andover is killing them badly but the Hill goalie.

Last five minutes was like a 5 on 5 PP lol.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:29 pm
Sparlimb wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:44 pm

Ah makes sense now. Hill and the Maple Grove are up for goalie of the year. 27-11 SOG. Andover head coach must have changed up some lines. For a while early Hill was dominating. Now Andover is killing them badly but the Hill goalie.

Last five minutes was like a 5 on 5 PP lol.
Certainly was. Hill played better in the 3rd, which was good. I said to the wife, if they play like they did in the 2nd they will lose. Hard to know how different the game would have been if it had been tied or Andover up. Hill wouldn't have sat back so much. That said, it isn't a consistent winning strategy to sit on a 2 goal lead for 2+ periods. They will need a better effort tomorrow night. That said, they beat Andover 2 of 3 this year, so their formula worked there.