The Minnetonka Machine, and where they came from

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

FlinFlonBomber

Re: The Minnetonka Machine, and where they came from

Post by FlinFlonBomber »

I wonder how the kids with hopes and dreams of making the Bantam AA team in Tonka three years ago felt when all these kids showed up for Bantam Tryouts. The tax paying parents need to raise holy hell with the youth program and the school. This is ruining high school hockey period, and the state high school league needs to gain a pair of balls on all this BS. We all know who the main recruiter is in Minnetonka. It is simply BS they just just show up and want to go to Minnetonka. Again we all know who the main recruiter is.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

ClassAGuy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:18 pm No comment on the Tonka stuff just again kudos to Orono for still being very good in the Small School field and as GB pointed out had they just kept a few more of those kids they would have been the favorite to win A this winter.
Interestingly, I just recently saw an interview between periods of the Orono-Chanhassen game where a three-year varsity Orono player (#22 Thomas Lewin) said his family moved from Tonka Bay (Minnetonka school district) up the road to Orono "because of the smaller school." Sorry if I mischaracterized it, but the interview is at 1:11:35 in the link below (the audio is not synced correctly with the video). I think the interviewer may be a relative of Thomas (both named Lewin):

https://www.youtube.com/live/HD4VlISVbt ... tex49eixUl
Last edited by JerseyDave on Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

Pretty sure Klaers is in westonka school district
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

WestMetro wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:03 pm As I mentioned above , I think Bauer and Schultz open enrolled in 9th grade at Tonka . Someone can double check.

So if I'm counting right , That leaves only two kids , Lunski and Scheetz , who started at one high school and later transferred with eligibility somehow . Several ways to do that , assuming Tonka AD looked it all over

So there are several diff issues going on:

- association Vs HS - boundaries , public vs private access to kids after bantams , etc

- open enrollment in 9th grade
- transfers after 9th grade
- kids trying to guess ahead at new coaches in Carver County
- Advisors input , discussions with various parties
- Etc etc
Sorry but level-headed context has no place in this discussion. Minnetonka has by itself ruined high school hockey.

For what it's worth Tonka AA Bantams are currently ranked 4th, the PeeWee AA 1st and Squirt A is 10th.

So unless those teams are also filled by ill gotten dirty transfers, Tonka teams in near future could return to being dominated by homegrown talent.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Slap Shot wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:28 pm Minnetonka has by itself ruined high school hockey.
Did you just don't-hate-the-playa-hate-the-game me? lol

Yes, Slap. I read above from one posted about how HS hockey in Minnesota has been ruined. I see an awful lot of it and believe it is awesome. 2024 and the jig is up, a lot of the best kids prefer playing high school in spite of other options.
Be kind. Rewind.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

O-townClown wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:19 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:28 pm Minnetonka has by itself ruined high school hockey.
Did you just don't-hate-the-playa-hate-the-game me? lol

Yes, Slap. I read above from one posted about how HS hockey in Minnesota has been ruined. I see an awful lot of it and believe it is awesome. 2024 and the jig is up, a lot of the best kids prefer playing high school in spite of other options.
Might as well not even pay attention to sections and state this year. Oh well.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

Slap Shot wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:28 pm For what it's worth Tonka AA Bantams are currently ranked 4th, the PeeWee AA 1st and Squirt A is 10th.

So unless those teams are also filled by ill gotten dirty transfers, Tonka teams in near future could return to being dominated by homegrown talent.
Also FWIW, the Tonka JV team was 24-1-0 this season, with the only loss to Edina JV in OT. They have some big skates to fill though from this departing senior class.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

JerseyDave wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:29 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:28 pm For what it's worth Tonka AA Bantams are currently ranked 4th, the PeeWee AA 1st and Squirt A is 10th.

Also FWIW, the Tonka JV team was 24-1-0 this season, with the only loss to Edina JV in OT. They have some big skates to fill though from this departing senior class.
Yeah there is a lot to replace. My hope is Sean limits filling those spots with transfers even if it means taking a step back for a year.
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

JerseyDave wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:29 pm

Pretty soon the MSHSL will stand for the Minnetonka State High School League for boys hockey...
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
Cookster

Post by Cookster »

Rumor has it that Carter Crowley (7th Grader PeeWee AA at EP), son of Mike Crowley and brother of Connor Crowley, who left EP to play at Holy Family this year is already planning on open enrolling at Minnetonka for 9th grade...
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

They have 3 players that are Mr Hockey finalists and their goalie is a finalist for the Brimsek. That ever been done before?
headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown »

Cookster wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:15 pm Rumor has it that Carter Crowley (7th Grader PeeWee AA at EP), son of Mike Crowley and brother of Connor Crowley, who left EP to play at Holy Family this year is already planning on open enrolling at Minnetonka for 9th grade...
There is so much in this post I don’t know where to start….
outdoorsuperstar

Post by outdoorsuperstar »

Hearing from my real estate buddies that there is a glut of unoccupied houses for sale this morning in the Tonka school district. Somebody should snap up and sell to the new recruits this summer!
Teak

Post by Teak »

outdoorsuperstar wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:31 am Hearing from my real estate buddies that there is a glut of unoccupied houses for sale this morning in the Tonka school district. Somebody should snap up and sell to the new recruits this summer!
:lol: